Finish Your Games Challenge

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 14, 2014 4:56 am  #11

Re: StuSue's Demo Reviews

Royal Detective: Queen of Shadows – CE – demo review

Publisher/Developer:      Elephant/BFG

Date of Review:               14 May 2014  (demo played 13 May 2014)

Genre:                               HOPA

Availability:                        CE – BFG

Note:
    1.    This is the sequel to Royal Detective: Lord of Statues.
    2.    There were skulls and skeletons lying around everywhere in the demo.

Story:

Princess made some mistakes in the past, not always using her magic for good. But she’s made amends, and that’s all forgiven now. She has finally found her mother after five long years. But just as Princess runs to embrace her, a band of thuggish trees kidnap her mother!

You’re the royal detective she came to know so well, and you’re Princess’ only hope. She’s still just a girl, and her magic isn’t quite strong enough to defeat the villain who’s taken her mother. Help reunite them – and uncover a devious plot by an evil king and his brothers!

The Collector's Edition includes:

*    Capture the sacred water and bring Razillion back to life.
    *    Win awards for your greatest achievements.
    *    Collect all 22 trading cards for extra prizes.
    *    Get elegant music, screen savers, wallpapers, and concept art.

CE Extras:

*    12  x  wallpapers
    *    14  x  concept art – can all be saved
    *    18  x  achievements – all HOSs speed and minigames speed and not skipping
    *    18  x  collectibles – morphing dragons
    *    22  x  cards
    *      5  x  music tracks - can be saved
    *      3  x  screensavers

Options:

Sound:
    *    Music volume
    *    Effects volume
    *    Environment volume
    *    Voice volume

Graphics:
    *    Gamma

Other:
    *    Special effects
    *    Custom cursor
    *    Full-screen
    *    Wide-screen

Credits

Mode:   
    *    4 – Casual, Advanced, Hardcore, Detective
    *    Detective mode:
                “This mode’s scary! It has no hints, skips or sparkles – 
                  and the cursor doesn’t change over active areas.”

The Game:

Animations:    Very good – smooth – fire looks real
Black Bar Tips:    Yes – tells you what you need to do but not what you need or how to do it
Collectibles:    18 different dragons (found 8 in demo) and 22 cards (found none in demo)
Companion:    None in demo
Diary:    None
Gameplay:    Usual HOPA
Graphics:    Beautiful – crystal clear in demo – very blue patina then some bright pink added
Hint:    Not directional – shows beautiful thumbnail of where you should go with option to jump there
Inventory:    Bottom as usual
Lip Sync:    None for people – box with face and text – except in demo one skull had lip syncing
Modes:    4 – Casual, Advanced, Hardcore, Detective – no Custom
Map:    Jump map – a sketch – click on a location and it shows in a magnifying glass to right of screen
Morphing Objects:    Yes – 18 different dragons                                                              
Music:    Good
Quality:    Good
Sparkles:    Yes – depends on which mode you choose
Strategy Guide:    Yes – 6 chapters, bonus, collectibles – Chap 1 (pgs 2-6) and Chap 2 (pgs 7-13) in demo
Tutorial:    Yes – depends on which mode you’re playing in
Voiceovers:    Very good – no lip sync – box with face and text – you can fast click through speech or skip

HOSs
    *    3 in demo
    *    all junkpile (thus difficult to find objects) but graphics clear (at least in demo)
    *    all list with only 2 or 3 minimal interactions

Puzzles
    *    only 1 in demo
    *    easy peasy but with 3 progressive difficulty levels
    *    just clicking a certain number of times in each section to paint pictures
    *    I didn’t find it very interesting as it was just too simple

Magic Items:
    *    you find and use magic items along the way
    *    a knife and a glove in the demo
    *    they have special properties, eg. the glove lets you pick things up that are protected by a force

Collectibles:
    *    18 morphing dragons
                *    all different
                *    none easy to spot – have to wait for them to morph – can only collect in dragon morph
                *    some difficult to spot as located in dark areas of the scene
                *    I found 8 of the 18 in the demo, so not a very long game
    *    22 cards
                *    I found none in the demo so no idea what they are or what they’re for

Comments from Reviewers:

The game is short:
    *    at least 4 reviewers said that it’s very short
    *    1 said around 3 hours, that bonus adds an interesting twist but isn’t all that great
    *    at least the first 2 I came across still gave 5 stars
    *    1 said bonus game okay but also short
    *    1 said that game so short that they would’ve been upset had they not gotten it in a great sale
    *    1 reviewer said very short and not enough depth to warrant CE, very disappointed

Lack of extras:
    *    there’s a whole thread in the forum about the lack of extras in the CE
    *    eg. once again Elephant hasn’t added it’s Secret Room and no replayable HOSs and minigames

Skullfun:
    *    “The story ends abruptly and answers are only revealed in the bonus play.”
    *    This person loved the game and gave it 5½ stars       

Nilosh:
    *    graphics not as good as the first game
    *    not many voiceovers
    *    rather silent game
    *    no sound effects that Elephant’s known for
    *    entire game felt a bit flat – sound, graphics and gameplay

Excerpt from Review at All About Casual Gaming (3½ stars):

Royal Detective: Queen of Shadows has quite a tiring gameplay with no challenges whatsoever due to an excess in hand-holding. The hidden object scenes are junk piles most of the time and offer nothing new to the genre neither do those ordinary puzzles. Despite all of that, we still cannot deny that Queen of Shadows is still a 'fun' game to play. While it might not be mind-blowing as the first game, it provides an acceptable amount of entertainment.

Those who have already purchased the Collector's Edition might possibly regret their decision later on. Royal Detective 2 is a very short game, barely lasted 3 hours for us on the easiest difficulty setting. The Bonus Chapter is average and other extra features are nothing to be excited about.

For us, Royal Detective: Queen of Shadows is a big let down - every single aspect seems to be downgraded from the first game; and because of the thin extra content and the mundane experience, it really should be released as a Standard Edition rather than a Collector's Edition.

Read more: http://www.allaboutcasualgame.com/2014/05/royal-detective-queen-of-shadows-review.html#ixzz31gF15k6k

Statistics on BFG game page as of 14 May 2014:

*    37 reviews – average 3.6 stars
    *    12 gave 5 stars
    *    64% recommended the game – 21/33
    *    Fun Factor – 3
    *    Visual/Sound Quality – 4
    *    Level of Challenge – 3½
    *    Storyline – 3½

My Recommendation:    SE with reservation

I wasn’t excited at all as I played the demo.  I was just going through the motions.  I love morphing objects and I liked the magic items you use, like the knife and glove, but I’m not sure they’ll be enough for me to get the game, either SE or CE.  I’ll demo the SE when it’s released and see how I feel about the game then as I may have been having an off day when I demoed the CE.  However, the Detective Mode interests me and I’ll try that when I demo the SE and see if that makes the game a bit more interesting and challenging.

I recommend the SE for anyone who likes the demo.

I definitely do not recommend the CE as both the game and bonus are very short, according to reviewers who’ve finished the game.  Also, all the HOSs in the demo were list junkpile with only minimal interaction, and the one puzzle was super simple.

What you're doing today is important
because you're exchanging a day of your life for it.

May 22, 2014 9:15 am  #12

Hope Lake  –  Demo Review

Publisher:                             Mystery Tag

Developer:                           Far Mills

Date of Demo Review:       22 May 2014  (demo played 21 May 2014)

Genre:                                  HOPA  –  straight SE

Availability:                           BFG

Story:

The Hope Lake Boarding School was abandoned long ago when one of its teachers drowned by accident and the school was closed. Today, all of the girls who attended Hope Lake have gone missing. Who's taking these girls and was the teacher's death really an accident?

As a detective, you must investigate the strange events which took place on the shore of the lake and within the walls of the boarding school. Emily Lynch was the last girl to go missing – this isn't much of a lead, but something is better than nothing. Visit the abandoned and ill-boding boarding school to uncover the truth about these mysteries. Unraveling the intricacies of this difficult case is going to be hard work. Are you up for the challenge!

*    48 beautiful detailed locations
    *    18 hidden object scenes and 26 unique minigames
    *    An interactive map to help your investigation
    *    6 hours of gameplay!

Main Menu:

*    Play
    *    Settings
    *    Credits
    *    Quit

Settings:

*    Music
    *    Effects
    *    Full screen
    *    System Cursor

Gameplay:

Companion:    None
Diary:    Journal with objective list and notes
Evidence Briefcase:    Next to diary
Graphics:    Basic 2D but okay – very little colour and dull – looks like a bushfire has just passed through
Hint:    Directional – but so fast within a scene that if you blink you’ll miss it – walkie-talkie on right
Inventory:    Bottom as usual
Modes:    2 – Casual, Expert – no Custom
Map:    Jump map – compass below the hint walkie-talkie
Morphing Objects:    No
Music:    Okay but very repetitive – the same music string over and over
Quality:    So so
Sparkles:    Yes – active zones and HOSs – glints even in Expert Mode!
Strategy Guide:    No
Tutorial:    Yes – in Casual Mode  –  No – in Expert Mode
Voiceovers:    Yes, good – doesn’t match text exactly

Modes:

Casual  –  Hint button fills up quickly (in just one minute) and all active areas are highlighted.
Expert  –  Hint button fills up slowly (in 2 mins) and all active areas are not highlighted.

Difficulty:

This game, as far I managed to play, is super easy as you’re told step by step what to do, even in Expert Mode!!!!  I, personally, couldn’t stand it.

For example (Spoilers):

*    You’re told you need a pump to pump up the tyre.
When you find the pump you’re told you need a handle.
When you find the handle and attach it you’re told that now you can pump up the tyre.
    *    When you pump up the tyre you’re told that now you can fill up the car with petrol.   

Grrrrrrrrrr.   And you don’t even do any of it!  You just click. 

The only difficulty in the HOSs was finding things in the dark scenes as all that I came across were very dark and not very clear.

The one puzzle I finally found was difficult – not to do but I wasn’t sure where all the animals were supposed to go.  I found it confusing.

Black Bar Tips:

The BBTs tell you not only what you have to do but also what you need to do it.  For example:

I need to inflate the tire. I could use a pump.”

This is the crime scene. I have to be very careful not to miss any evidence.”  Well, duh!

HOSs:     18

In the first HOS I did there were glints to show you items, especially the couple of interactive objects, and that was in Expert Mode!  It was also very dark with a blue palette but it did have a bit of animation as the animals moved.

Minigames/Puzzles:    26

As stated under “Difficulty”, I only came across one puzzle and it wasn’t difficult to do, I just didn’t know where the animals should go.  Thus it would be easy to do but would take a bit of time, swapping the animals around until you got the correct placement, as I thought that some of the animals could have gone in several positions as you had extra spots that weren’t used.

Diary:

The diary has a journal that contains your object list, and notes, which are very good and contain lots of information re what you find.  All you have to do is hover the cursor over the diary to see the objective list; you don’t have to open it.

Evidence Briefcase:

You have an evidence briefcase, which is located next to the diary, where you’ll find all the evidence you find.  I only found one piece of evidence in the time I played, and I don’t know what, if anything, you do with all the evidence you collect.

Map:

The map is a jump map.  It’s a compass below the hint walkie-talkie.  It consists of lots of small, rectangular thumbnails of scenes, all lined up in rows and columns, with small arrows showing you how they’re linked.  It shows you your current location and where there are available actions.

Length:

They state that it’s 6 hours. 

Miscellaneous things I liked:

Torch  –  You find a torch that’s added next to the hint and you can use it when you need light.  I liked having it there whenever you needed it.  Left click on the torch turns the light on, right click turns it off.

Zoom-in boxes  –  I loved the interlocked arms that form the boxes around a scene when you zoom in.

Cursor  –  I really liked the game cursor which was a hand.  However, as it was always a hand I kept on clicking on things, thinking it was the cursor when you can pick something up.  When you could pick something up the hand turned into a grasping hand.  I’m sure I would have gotten used to it had I kept on playing.

Miscellaneous things I didn’t like:

Scene changes  –  are super slow!  The next scene gradually lightens until you can see it.  Then, once the scene has loaded, you have to wait yet again until you can interact with it.  And that happened every single time, whether using the arrows to move to the next scene or the jump map.  I found that really annoying.

Cursor  –  When the game first started and I was on the main menu page, the cursor was very sluggish so I changed to the system cursor.  This wasn’t a problem when I started playing until the cursor went over an active area and, instead of the system cursor changing to something, I got the game cursor hand – as well - to pick something up!  I really didn’t like having 2 cursors.  So I changed back to the game cursor and it worked fine in the game; there was only a problem on the main menu page.

My Recommendation:    No

I can’t recommend this game as there were just too many things I didn’t like – the graphics, the repetitive music, the slow scene changes – but they would have all been fine had the black bar tips not told me step by step what to do.  I like black bar comments, telling me things like that something’s rusty, or tied too tight, or missing something.  But I hate BBTs that tell me what I need to do as well as what I need to do it, as in this game.  For example, you're told that, “I need to inflate the tire. I could use a pump.”  All you needed was a comment to say that the tyre was flat.  I think you could work out that you needed to pump it up and that you'd need a pump to do it. 

I did, however, like the story and would have liked to have seen what you did with the evidence briefcase.

May 22, 2014 12:39 pm  #13

Mystika 2:  The Sanctuary

Producer/Developer:     UnikGame

Genre:                              M3 / HOG

Released:                         BFG - 14 May 2014

Review Date:                   22 May 2014  (demo played 14 May 2014)

The Story:

The village of Lumina is in trouble! Rikou, our magic tree, cannot protect us anymore. Alrik, the mage, needs your help to restore the sanctuary. Travel through 200 levels in this fun match-3 game and collect enough money to restore the village.

Defeat your challengers with the help of powerful spells, and find treasures in more than 10 hidden object scenes! Enjoy your trip through this enchanted world, listen to amazing soundtracks and prepare for an epic quest.

Will you be the one who will restore the sanctuary?

*    200 magic levels!
    *    40 Challenges with different match-3 play
    *    Very challenging time mode

Many achievements to unlock

Settings

*    Music
    *    Sound
    *    Fullscreen  (didn't work for me, big black bars down both sides)
    *    Show Tutorial
    *    Time Mode

Gameplay:

Graphics:   Good - cartoonish
Modes:       Timed and Untimed (you can change it in Options)
Music:         Very good

Mage Challenges:

*    You have to clear the board in a limited number of moves
    *    When I did the first one I had 16 swaps left out of 38, so at least not difficult in the beginning

HOSs:

*    Simple list and sort of junkpile
    *    Not all that easy to spot, even though the objects aren't all that small
    *    When you find an object lots of stars go around and around and you can't see the nearby scene

Notes:

I only jotted down a few notes while I was playing so this isn't a full demo review.

*    You start with a HOS to earn money, first to clear the land then to upgrade things
    *    You restore a sanctuary, starting with upgrading a house and property
    *    Cartonish artwork
    *    M3 - not widescreen
    *    HOSs - not widescreen
    *    The House - full screen

Statistics on BFG game page as of 22 May 2014:

*    21 reviews – average 4.5 stars
    *    15 out of 21 gave 5 stars
    *    95% recommended the game – 20 out of 21
    *    Fun Factor – 4.4
    *    Visual/Sound Quality – 4.8
    *    Level of Challenge – 4.2
    *    Storyline – 4.2

My recommendation:   

I had fun playing but I can't remember much about it.  I know I wasn't jumping up and down with excitement but I think I thought it would be an okay PCC game, but not one I'd be rushing out to buy.  I'll have to download the demo from the developer's site and play that before coming to a final decision about whether I want to get it or not.  At the moment I'm undecided as I can't remember much about the game and I've finished the demo.

However, judging by the reviews and star ratings at BFG it's a winner. 

May 24, 2014 10:15 am  #14

Haunted Manor: Painted Beauties - CE

Publisher/Developer:         Top Evidence Studios

Date of Demo Review:       24 May 2014  (demo played 24 May 2014)

Genre:                                  HOPA

Availability:                           BFG – 25 May 2014

Story:

A peaceful day at the park becomes a journey into the surreal in Haunted Manor: Painted Beauty! You thought it would be fun to have your portrait painted by handsome young artist Stephan Black. But you didn't realize you were about to be transported into the dark world of his painting. You soon discover that the mysterious artist has been filling his gothic manor with souls to fulfill the terms of a deal he made with Death. Now you must find your way out of the portrait before Death comes to collect you in this thrilling Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure game!

The Collector’s Edition includes:

*    More adventure in the bonus chapter!
    *    Unlockable achievements
    *    Find all the morphing objects!
    *    Wallpapers, concept art, soundtrack, and screensaver       

Main Menu:

*    Play
    *    Options
    *    Extras
    *    Achievements
    *    Strategy Guide
    *    Credits
    *    Bonus Content  (locked painting)

Options:

*    Sound volume
    *    Music volume
    *    Wide Screen
    *    Full Screen
    *    Custom Cursor

CE Extras:

The extras are locked until you purchase the game but they list:

*    Bonus chapter  
    *    Achievements
    *    Morphing objects
    *    Concept art
    *    Strategy guide
    *    Soundtrack
    *    Wallpapers
    *    Screensaver

Game Series:

Haunted Manor: Lord of Mirrors CE  –  released BFG 25 March 2010
Haunted Manor: Queen of Death CE  –  released BFG 20 November 2011
Haunted Manor: Painted Beauties CE  –  released BFG 25 May 2014

Gameplay:

Collectibles:    Pseudo collectibles – you collect things as part of the gameplay, so not real collectibles
Cursor:    A big arrow – mine was a tad sluggish but I could use it and didn’t change it
Cutscenes:    Very clear graphics, not blurry
Diary:    Notebook with Notes, Tasks, Strategy Guide – located top right of the screen
Graphics:    Good – good animation with everything moving in the wind, etc, when you’re outside
Hint:    Directional
Inventory:    Right click returns items to inventory
Modes:    3 – Casual, Advanced, Expert – no Custom – only Expert has no glints
Map:    Jump map – does not indicate where you are or where there are available items
Morphing Objects:    Yes – 30 – not easy to spot – only click when you see them – cursor doesn’t change
Music:    Good but in the beginning just the same beat and short music over and over again - annoying
Scene Changes:    A bit slow, some slower than others, but not a deal breaker, imho
Sparkles:    Yes – active zones and HOSs – even glints in HOPs and scenes in Advanced mode!
Strategy Guide:    Yes – only Chaps 1–3 shown in demo
Tutorial:    Yes – optional
Voiceovers:    Good – good lip sync – good facial movement, etc., as well

Screen:

Down the right side of the screen from the top are the notebook, then map, then SG.  It’s weird as their names are written sideways.  Different.  Bottom right is the hint, which is a cute little girl angel who never stops moving, unless she’s sleeping whilst recovering from helping you in a scene.  There’s also a palette there but I’m not sure what, if anything, that’s there for.

Bottom left of the screen has the menu button, which has a skull above with a glowing green light coming out of the eyes, and the task list button is in between the two, which I found odd and I accidentally clicked on Menu when I wanted to check out the Tasks.

Difficulty:

The game didn’t seem to be too easy in the bit of the demo I played.  I played 3 HOPs – 2 by list, 1 by object – which were very clear but dark and junkpile, which made them challenging, especially if you want to get the achievements for finding 3 objects in less than 1 second (I was sure I did that but didn’t get the award), the one for finding 5 objects in less than 3 seconds, and the one for finishing 3 HOPs in less than 30 secs each.  I LOL when I read those!  I’m still chuckling as I’m typing this as I can’t see that being possible unless the HOPs change later on in the game.  I think you’d have to play with different profiles, practicing the same HOP over and over again until you could do it in your sleep, for you to have a chance of getting those achievements.

I only came across one minigame/puzzle in the demo, which was of easy-medium difficulty.  It was one I really liked and is easy to do but requires a bit of thought.

The map not showing where there are any available actions – in all three modes – makes the game a tad more challenging as you can’t just look at the map when you’re stuck and then jump to wherever there’s an available action.  You actually have to think and remember what you need where, or rely on the hint button. 

Black Bar Tips:

The BBTs sometimes tell you exactly what you need to do and need, and sometimes they’re only suggestions, like when you talk to yourself as the main character.  However, I was never told exactly what I needed to do, exactly what I needed, and where I could find it.  So they’re not too bad.  However, you can’t turn them off.

I used a wrong item on something and the comment I got told me why it wouldn’t work rather than something sarcastic.  But then the next time I got one of the usual comments.

Sparkles:

There are big, sparkly ones on the HOPs, even in Advanced Mode!  And in Advanced Mode you even get glints in the HOPs!  The only way to play without glints is to play in Expert Mode, but then you get a very slow Hint and Skip recharge.

Hint:    directional

The hint is a cute little girl angel who can’t sit still!  She does nothing if the hint takes you to another screen.  However, if the hint shows you something to do in the scene you’re in, or in a HOP, the little angel flies to wherever the available action is and uses a paintbrush to show you.  She then flies back down to the bottom and lies down to have a little nap to recharge.  When the hint has recharged, she sits up and giggles.  I’ve read a few reviews by people who found this so annoying that they couldn’t stand it and won’t buy the game, no matter how good it is.  I found it cute and not annoying at all.

HOPs:  

I played three HOPs in the time that I played.  Two were lists with 2 or 3 very slightly interactive objects – for example, open a curtain.  One had small pictures of the objects below and the glowing green ones were either hidden or needed other items to find them.  All three were clear with nice artwork, but were junkpiles (but not too bad) and dark, making them difficult to see.

There’s no alternative minigame that I saw.

Minigames/Puzzles:   

You aren’t automatically given the instructions.  You click on a ‘?’ to get them.  Thus you can try to do any minigames/puzzles yourself before getting the instructions.

I only came across one but I really liked it.  It wasn’t difficult but required a bit of thought as I had to first work out which ones went together and then move them around to group them.  Moving them wasn’t difficult – but I really like ones like that – but it wasn’t so obvious which 4 of the 16 went together into the 4 groups.

Map:

Small thumbnails of each scene are added to the map as you come across them.  A larger picture of the scene you’re in and its name are located bottom left of the map.

Note:  It is a jump map but there is no indication of locations with available actions, in all three modes.

Collectibles:     

I didn’t notice any collectibles, however, there are pseudo collectibles.  That is, you collect parts of things as part of the game.  For example, you have to collect parts of a canvas – 15 – right from the start, and these pieces can be added to the canvas, if you want to go right back to the beginning, without having to wait until you’ve collected them all.

You also come across little pearls – 33 – that you can’t pick up until you’ve found a string to put them all on.  Once you’ve got the string, and find out that they’re rosary beads, you can use the hint to go and find all the ones you’ve already come across.  They’re then strung across the bottom of the screen, always visible, so you can see how many you’ve found.  The inventory pops up above them.

Achievements:     16

The achievements are nothing new – all the usual performance-based HOP/minigame ones.  They are displayed in Achievements found on the main menu page.

However, I had to LOL when I read three of them as they’re for:

*    finding 3 objects in a HOP in less than 1 second;
    *    finding 5 objects in a HOP in less than 3 seconds;
    *    finishing 3 HOPs in less than 30 seconds each.

Considering how dark the HOPs are and that they’re junkpiles, and the objects aren’t all that easy to find even though they’re very clear, I think it would be a real challenge to get those three.

Bonus Chapter:

There is one but I know nothing about it.    

Length:

I’m sure it has length but no idea how long it is. 

Miscellaneous:

You go into paintings!  I really liked that, even though I only got to go into one.  I think you just enter the actual painting; the paintings aren’t portals into other worlds.

One door you come across right at the beginning has 8 locks!  But there are 8 women missing and you have to release their souls so I imagine that you get 1 key per woman and then can open the door when you’ve found them all.  But that’s only a supposition on my part.

I came across one zoom-in area half hidden behind the little girl angel hint button and palette and I thought that was a bit sneaky!

I came across two grammar mistakes in the bit that I played but, as neither affected the gameplay (ie. they weren’t misnamed objects in a HOP), they didn’t bother me:

“It would take to long to trim these.”
“Is he trying to keep my distracted?”

My Recommendation:    SE – not CE as it only has a 20-min bonus chapter!

I liked the bit that I played of the demo.  I really liked the storyline and the idea of the paintings and I really want to find out more.  I also didn’t find it super easy and I liked the one puzzle that I played, even though it was fairly easy, as it took some thought and was fun.  I wasn’t a big fan of the HOPs, and I normally love HOPs as long as there aren’t too many of them too close together, but in this game I just wanted them over.  I think there was just nothing special about them or anything very interesting, with only very minimal interactions.  So I recommend the SE.

However, given that the extras aren’t available in the demo and that no one has yet reviewed the bonus chapter, I reserve judgement as to the CE.  I liked the morphing objects as they weren’t easy to spot – I didn’t waste time looking for them but was shown the first one in the tutorial and didn’t spot any more in the demo.  But I really liked the fact that you can only click on them when they’re in morph mode, not otherwise, and that your cursor doesn’t change when it goes over one.  A lot of games aren’t like that and so spoil the morphing objects for me.  In this game you actually have to find them, not just find a cursor hand, and so I’m really hoping the extras and bonus chapter live up to CE status.

ETA:    After reading Belamba's review on the main game page at BFG I've decided to stick with the SE.  A 20-min bonus chapter?  No thanks.  The following is an extract from the full review:

Belamba wrote:

Don't think I've played any game before with so much back and forth. After a while it got a bit tedious, but I was determined to play game to the end.
The main game had a good 6 hours of game play, but the bonus chapter was over in 20 minutes. Hardly value for double the price, and seemed like more HOPs in that 20 minutes than in the entire game!
The graphics were excellent, the music a bit annoying at times but ok.
Morphing objects, but not that easy to find and I gave up looking for them after a while. Mainly due to the fact that the morphing things disappeared for far too long, which meant you had to watch a scene for what seemed like forever before spotting it. 

Last edited by stusue (May 24, 2014 12:44 pm)

May 25, 2014 6:54 am  #15

Grim Tales 6: The Vengeance – CE – Demo Review

Publisher/Developer:         Elephant Games

Date of Demo Review:       25 May 2014  (demo played 25 May 2014)

Availability:                           BFG – 15 May 2014

Story:

You’ve been summoned to court to provide testimony in a trial against your nephew James, who stands accused of murdering his sister. By using your power to learn an object’s history simply by touching it, you must examine evidence from the crime scene to determine what really happened to Elizabeth. Can you prove James innocent and find the real killer? As you explore the family mansion, a dark force is trying to cover up the truth! Watch your step, or you could be next! Follow the trail and crack the case in this thrilling hidden-object puzzle adventure game!

*    Bonus chapter featuring a new story!
    *    Gather evidence to present at court!
    *    Collect figures for more story info
    *    Use the available Strategy Guide
    *    Get soundtracks, concept art, and wallpapers

Main Menu:

*    Play Game
    *    Options
    *    More Games
    *    Bonus Content
    *    Strategy Guide
    *    Quit

Options:

Sound:
    *    Music Volume
    *    Effects Volume
    *    Environment Volume
    *    Voice Volume
Graphics:
    *    Gamma
Other:
    *    Full-screen
    *    Wide-screen
    *    Custom Cursor
    *    Special Effects
Credits
Game Mode

Screen:

*    Strategy Guide  –  top left
    *    Hint  –  bottom left
    *    Menu  –  bottom right
    *    Map  –  bottom right above menu – also has collectibles room, achievements and diary
    *    Inventory  –  Just the word down the bottom – no huge inventory bar showing
    *    Tasks  –  on the inventory bar, to the left of ‘Inventory’

CE Extras:

*    Bonus chapter  
    *    Collectibles – 13 small statues
    *    Achievements – only 10 – the usual
    *    Wallpapers – 9
    *    Concept Art – 8 – can be saved
    *    Music – 5 – can be saved
    *    Screensaver – 1
    *    Morphing objects – 35
    *    Strategy Guide

Game Series:

Grim Tales 1: The Bride CE  –  released BFG – 4 August 2011
Grim Tales 2: The Legacy CE  –  released BFG – 5 January 2012
Grim Tales 3: The Wishes CE  –  released BFG – 12 July 2012
Grim Tales 4: The Stone Queen CE  –  released BFG – 3 January 2013
Grim Tales 5: Bloody Mary CE  –  released BFG 20 – 1 August 2013
Grim Tales 6: The Vengeance CE  –  released BFG - 15 May 2014

Gameplay:

Collectibles:    Yes – 13 small statues
Cutscenes:    Sometimes crystal clear, sometimes a tad blurry
Diary:    Very basic but beautiful – found when you open the Map
Graphics:    Good – but very, very, very blue
Hint:    Teleporting to another scene – can choose to teleport or go there yourself
Inventory:    Can only see very narrow bar at bottom with word ‘Inventory’, also ‘Tasks’ to the left
Modes:    3 – Casual, Advanced, Hardcore – no Custom
Map:    Jump map – indicates player, current tasks, no current tasks, and blocked
Morphing Objects:    Yes – 35 – not easy to spot – only click when you see them – cursor doesn’t change
Quality:    Very good      
Strategy Guide:    Yes – 6 chapters, bonus chapter, collectibles – only Chaps 1–2 shown in demo
Tutorial:    Yes – windows open when you come across something to explain it – can skip
Voiceovers:    Good – good lip sync – good facial movement, etc., as well

Difficulty:

The game didn’t seem to be too easy in the bit of the demo I played, but nor did it seem to be very challenging.  However, there seems to be an awful lot to do in each scene and you have to remember all the things you need in each scene when you find an inventory object.  The scenes are also very cluttered – I can’t believe how many things they fitted into each scene!

I only came across 2 HOPs – easy, interactive, junkpile lists with a few simple interactions – and 1 puzzle – an easy but fun jigsaw puzzle. 

Reviewers said that it wasn’t a very hard game but more challenging than a lot of the recent games.

Black Bar Tips:

The BBTs said exactly what you needed to do but not how to do it.  For example, you’re told that you have to get rid of some cobwebs before you can get something, but it doesn’t tell you what you need in order to do it.

HOPs:  

I played 2 HOPs in the time that I played.  Both were junkpile lists with 12 objects to find – the first one had 3 simple interactive objects, the second had 5.  Both were part of the gameplay – for example, you open a cupboard and the inside is a HOP.  They were slightly blurry and, once again, very blue. 

Minigames/Puzzles:   

I only came across one in the demo – an easy but fun jigsaw.

One review said that the puzzles were “fantastic”.  Another said that they were all “very entertaining”.  Another said that, “Some of the puzzles were unique and used logic rather than just putting something together.” All About Casual Game said that there were lots of very good puzzles.

Clues:

When you find a clue in a scene, a clue box opens up down the right side of the screen.  In the first scene in the photo there were 5 items to find.  There’s a pale picture of each one and, when you find one, it’s then coloured.  There’s a small projector imagine below each object and you can click on it once you’ve found an object and watch a video about that clue and learn more.  The clue box closes and I found it a bit difficult to reopen to see how it worked.  I don’t know whether you can only open it at certain times or whether it’s just tricky to open.  But I found that idea original and very interesting.

Map:

The map is like a beautiful drawing, seen from above.  Rooms (in the first photo you enter) are added as you enter them.  Once again, it’s very blue just like everything else in the game (at least in the demo).  If you hover the cursor over each room a larger picture of the scene you’re in and its name are shown.  If you click on a room you’re automatically transported there straight away.

It shows the location of the player, the current task, no current task, and blocked.

Inventory:

*    There are + objects – you either manipulate them or combine them to form other objects.
    *    Objects go straight into inventory and not first into a window that you have to close – YAY!

Collectibles:     13

You collect 13 small statues of family members.  You just find them standing there in scenes.  They’re added to your collectibles room and, when you’ve collected several (different reviewers said different numbers) you can watch a video that reveals more of the family history.

When you find one a window pops up showing the statue and tells you a bit about that person.  You can find them all in the collectibles room, which you can find if you open the map.  There you can watch the videos, or click on a statue and see a bigger version of the same window you saw in the game.

Morphing Objects:    35

*    Yay!  All different objects – vase, statue, poster, etc.
    *    Yay!  They’re very hard to spot, especially as you don’t know what you’re looking for.
    *    Yay!  The cursor doesn’t change when it goes over the object.
    *    Yay!  You can only click on the object when it is in morphing mode.

Achievements:     10

There are only 10 and the achievements are nothing new – the usual performance-based HOP/minigame ones.  They are displayed in Achievements found if you open the map or in Bonus Content, found on the main menu page.

Bonus Chapter:

One reviewer said: “the way the main game ended you don't feel as you have to buy the CE to see the full ending. The main game ended the story perfectly. The bonus chapter had its own little story with a fantastic ending.”  Another said that it was a great game, and the bonus as well.    

Length:

A couple of reviewers said that the entire game took them about 6 hours, bonus included.  One reviewer said that the main game took them 4 hours, the bonus only 30 mins.  Another said that the bonus was only 1 hour.

Miscellaneous:

You go into the past through photos!  I really liked that, even though I only got to go into one (I assume all the scenes you go into are photos).  Everything is static, as it’s a photo, even though you enter other locations. 

Your player name is used in the first scene.

Apparently, there’s a continuity problem with the other 5 games.  This is what JustTheFacts said:

For what Elephant have done to the beset Gray family this time. They’ve gratuitously changed the names in utterly ridiculous ways! And without any cause I can fathom. It really is quite unforgivable. Luckily, they have introduced a new dimension to the story – now we are not the only one who can travel back in time to significant events in a person’s lifetime.”

And:

Well, see, here’s where I get cranky. The “McGray” (previously known as the Gray) family is now minus my sister and her husband (remember, the first game, all those years ago, started with their wedding), who have died unceremoniously and left a will that leaves the entire estate to Elizabeth – reasons unknown. Even worse, Elizabeth is now also dead and our dear nephew James is accused of her murder!
We, as Aunt Gray (what? My sis married into the Gray family, not me), are subpoenaed to give evidence to the court, based on our ability to use important objects as a kind of doorway to significant events in the past.

After finding an old photograph of the Black Rock (wasn’t it Black Lock?) mansion, we are transported back to a moment sometime before our niece’s death, to find James looking exceedingly angry and threatening Elizabeth. While they remain suspended in time, we must seek evidence of James’ innocence to show the judge. But we are not alone. Impossibly, something or someone is moving it this normally frozen environment. And it is getting nasty.

One thing I dislike about this game is that there is a confusing and contradictory back story to go with all this, with family trees and so forth, all delivered in an amazing assortment of media, that could have made the backstory interesting and involving. Again, why couldn’t they just stick to what we know and build from there?

Statistics on BFG game page as of 25 May 2014:

*    35 reviews – average 4.5 stars
    *    22 gave 5 stars  –  8 gave 4 stars  –  3 gave 3 stars  –  none gave 1 or 2 stars
    *    97% recommended the game – 32/33
    *    Fun Factor – 4.4
    *    Visual/Sound Quality – 4.8
    *    Level of Challenge – 4.5
    *    Storyline – 4.5

Excerpt from All About Casual Game’s Review:

the presentation in Grim Tales: The Vengeance is without question, marvelous! The graphics are crystal clear and beautiful blue shades, special effects are amazing and the details are just mesmerizing. The music is epic, but fairly loud compared to what we are used to from Elephant. The voice overs are solid, accompanied by a fair attempt of lip-syncing.

In terms of gameplay, Grim Tales: The Vengeance does not really bring anything new to the genre. Despite that, it ticks all the boxes and does not fail to entertain us. As with the usual games from elephant, Grim Tales 6 is an extremely game with tons of tasks at hand, numerous inventory items and a large number of locations to explore. Luckily for us, the interactive map is beautifully-designed and does a satisfying job on guiding the player to the right location. Other aspects of the game are well-done also, the hidden object scenes are mostly junkpiles and straightforward, but they are easy on the eye and items are not too difficult to spot. The puzzles are the better parts of this game and we are glad that there are many to be solved throughout the game. While they might not be totally unique, they are definitely enjoyable and suitable for the theme of the game.

Unfortunately, Grim Tales: The Vengeance is a little bit lacking on the Extras. The main game has a good length of around 4 hours for advanced players, but the Bonus Chapter barely reaches 40 minutes. Other Extras are the average even though we like the idea that the statuette collectibles add some extra stories to the game.

Grim Tales: The Vengeance suggests us once again, the reason why the Grim Tales series deserves a special place in our hearts. Grim Tales: The Vengeance is an expertly-crafted HOPA filled with terrific visuals, captivating storyline and neat mechanics.

Graphics: 5/5 Stars
Sound: 4.5/5 Stars        
Story: 4/5 Stars
Originality: 4/5 Stars
Gameplay: 4.5/5 Stars
Puzzles: 4.5/5 Stars
Control and Navigation: 5/5 Stars
Fun Factor: 5/5 Stars
Extras: 3.5/5 Stars

Read more: http://www.allaboutcasualgame.com/2014/05/grim-tales-vengeance-review.html#ixzz32j4ZhqiQ

My Recommendation:    Definitely SE and, if it weren’t for the relatively short bonus, the CE

I loved the opening scene.  It wasn’t as dramatic as my favourite opening scene (in Grim Legend: The Forsaken Bride CE, but I can’t imagine anything even coming close to that one), but I was amazed at how crystal clear the graphics were in the cutscene!  Unfortunately, it didn’t continue that crystal clear and the game is exceedingly blue.   Everything is blue! 

I loved the idea of going into the past through photos that you find and I loved the idea of the clue box in each scene.  I also loved the morphing objects as they’re hard to spot, are all totally different objects, your cursor doesn’t change when it goes over one, and you can only click on it when it’s in morphing mode, all of which are what I believe to make the perfect morphing objects.  I also like the idea of the statues you collect of family members that give you more information re the family.  I also liked the story and the way the game starts in a courtroom. 

However, owning but not having played any of the previous games in the series I can’t comment on how it relates to them.

I will definitely be getting this game and recommend it as an SE.  I really want to get the CE as I love the morphing objects.  However, with only a 30-60 minutes bonus chapter I’m not sure that it’s worth it.

May 25, 2014 9:24 am  #16

Tales of Terror: House on the Hill – CE – Demo Review

Developer:                         Deep Shadows

Date of Demo Review:     25 May 2014  (demo played 24 May 2014)

Genre:                                HOPA

Availability:                         BFG – 18 May 2014

Story:

When you signed up for a ghost tour at an old estate, you were just hoping to spend some time with your sister, who loves the paranormal. But the brochure never mentioned the real danger you would encounter the second the doors close behind you. Walls shift and corridors expand, creating a terrifying maze that separates you from your sister. Now you must outwit dangerous traps and find a way out before the house claims another victim. Summon your courage and get ready for thrills in this Hidden Object Adventure game!

*    Play the bonus game to rescue the remaining survivors!
    *    Available comprehensive Strategy Guide
    *    Collect hidden heart medallions in every scene
    *    Concept art, wallpapers, and a soundtrack

Main Menu:

*    Play
    *    Options
    *    Extras
    *    Exit
    *    More Games
            -  Haunted Train: Spirits of Charon CE
            -  Tales of Terror: Crimson Dawn

Options:

*    Music Volume
    *    SFX Volume
    *    Mute All
    *    Full-screen
    *    Custom Cursor
    *    Change Game Difficulty
    *    Credits

Screen:

*    Strategy Guide  –  top left
    *    Menu  –  bottom left
    *    Hint  –  bottom right  (it’s a haunted house)
    *    Map  –  bottom right next to Hint once you’ve found it  (folded-up map)
    *    Inventory  –  Just the word down the bottom – no huge inventory bar showing

CE Extras:

*    Bonus chapter  
    *    Story  –  collect 12 statues that give you some backstory
    *    Collectibles  –  46 hearts  –  no reason to collect them
    *    Music  –  6  –  can be saved
    *    Wallpapers  –  4
    *    Concepts (concept art)  –  7  –  cannot be saved, not very interesting
    *    Achievements  –  15  –  the usual  + 1 for finishing in Professional Mode
    *    Strategy Guide

Game Series:

Tales of Terror: Crimson Dawn  –  released BFG – 22 September 2012
Tales of Terror: House on the Hill CE  –  released BFG – 18 May 2014

Gameplay:

Collectibles 1:    Yes – 46 hearts – all different (yay!), no reason to collect them, though
Collectibles 2:    Yes – 12 statues – get them when you meet a new character – give some backstory
Cutscenes:    Blurry – real people – very good with good lip-syncing
Diary:    Just notes, for example the story as it unfolds
Graphics:    Good, although not crystal clear – very yellow
Inventory:    Can only see very narrow bar at bottom with word ‘Inventory’, no huge inventory bar
Modes:    3 – Casual, Expert, Professional – no Custom
Map:    Jump map – you find it – shows your location and objectives
Morphing Objects:    None
Strategy Guide:    Yes – 6 chapters, bonus chapter, collectibles – only Chaps 1–2 shown in demo
Tutorial:    ?
Voiceovers:    Yes – you find a diary and the author reads it to you – you can watch the animated drawings contained within instead

Play:

After you click on PLAY you have the choice of “Main Story” or “Bonus Chapter”.  So you can replay the bonus chapter separately – YAY!  It also shows you your % game progress underneath.

Difficulty:

The game didn’t seem to be either too easy or overly challenging.

I only came across 1 HOP – contained a  mini-puzzle and objects that require interaction aren’t highlighted, which adds slightly to the difficulty – and 1 puzzle – which I didn’t find easy and as it was so time-consuming I skipped it in the demo. 

LunaNik said, “Since the rooms morph and the hooded figure sets traps for you, things are constantly changing, and that presents a new challenge for adventure mode. Just when you think you can move on…boom! Something new to figure out.”

Black Bar Tips:

At least at the beginning of the game, the BBTs are great.  There’s a chair with a stitched-up seat and instead of being told that you need a knife to find out what’s hidden inside, the BBT is, “Why would someone bother to sew up this chair?”  If you keep clicking you get several different comments.

HOPs:  

I played 1 HOP in the time that I played.  It was a list HOP but you couldn’t tell which objects required some sort of interaction as interactive objects weren’t highlighted, making it much more fun.  The cursor also doesn’t change to a hand so you’re really not sure which objects need interactions.  There was a mini-puzzle in the HOP – you have to collect x number of something to form something but the cursor, unfortunately, changed to a hand when it passed over one of the things you had to find – but they weren’t easy!  There was movement in the HOP, for example, something swayed and the owl’s eyes blinked.

sportygal2009 said, after having completed the entire game, that all the HOPs were word lists with some slight interaction, that each scene was visited twice, and that there was 1 scene where you have to find matching pairs.

Minigames/Puzzles:   

I only came across one in the demo.  I didn’t find it easy and I didn’t want to waste time on it as it was very time-consuming so I skipped it. 

LunaNik said, “The HO scenes are interactive and the puzzles, at least thus far, are unique.”

Map:

The map is a jump map.  You find it early on in the game and it’s added to the screen next to the Hint.  It’s a concertinaed map.  It shows your location and objectives.

It has little hand-drawn, rough, very colourful sketches of each scene as you come across them, and you are a little, green, almost stick figure.

Inventory:

Inventory items you find go straight into Inventory!  Hallelujah!  There’s no window and so you don’t have to click on anything to get rid of it.

Collectibles:     12 statues  –  46 hearts

12 Statues  –  Every time you come across a new character a small window pops out from the right of the screen.  It shows a small picture of the statue and gives you a little bit of information about the character.  You can find them in Extras under Story.

46 Hearts – You collect 46 hearts (one per scene) but there’s no reason for you to collect them.  There’s a little red heart to the left of Hint and if you hover your cursor over it it tells you how many you’ve found – for example, 1/46.  The hearts, in the demo, got harder and harder to spot.  They’re all different – location, size, shape, colour, form, etc. – which I loved as I love it when the collectibles are all different – either different objects or in different forms/locations.

Achievements:     15

There are only 15 and the achievements are nothing new and not very interesting – the usual performance-based HOP/minigame ones – speed/not skipping – plus one for finishing in Professional Mode.  There’s one for taking more than 10 minutes to finish a HOP – great time to take a coffee break.  LOL. 

Bonus Chapter:

sportygal said that the bonus wasn’t needed, that the main game ends conclusively, that it’s very short and doesn’t add anything, that it had a very abrupt ending, and was only half an hour (and not fast player).

Length:

sportygal said that the main game took 3½ hours and the bonus ½ hour, using no skips, hints, map or SG.

Miscellaneous:

There’s a gate that’s covered in creepy, crawly spiders right at the beginning if you have a spider phobia.

Statistics on BFG game page as of 24 May 2014:

*    34 reviews  –  average 3.7 stars
    *    11/34 gave 5 stars 
    *    63% recommended the game  –  19/30
    *    Fun Factor  –  3.8
    *    Visual/Sound Quality  –  4
    *    Level of Challenge  –  3.9
    *    Storyline  –  3.9

The characters in the game are very forgettable, although live actors that portray them are probably the very best we have seen in this industry.

The gameplay is average, straightforward and not very challenging. Tales of Terror 2 plays like a typical HOPA, there are no special features or real creativity. The Hidden Object scenes are mostly standards with a couple of interactive items. The puzzles are the usual run of the mill, many are very simple and not very entertaining.

Just to make this Collector's Edition more disappointing, Tales of Terror: House on the Hill is a very short game. The length of the main game is barely three and a half hour for fast players and the bonus chapter, which is absolutely unnecessary is roughly  half an hour. The extra content is thin also; a strategy guide, concept art, wallpapers, achievements, collectibles and soundtracks.

Tales of Terror: House on the Hill is a humdrum time-passer and is certainly does not worth the CE status. The game is a total waste of awesome live actors due to its dull gameplay, short length and the lack of extras.

Graphics: 3.5/5 Stars
Sound: 4/5 Stars
Story: 3.5/5 Stars
Originality: 3.5/5 Stars
Gameplay: 3/5 Stars
Puzzles: 3/5 Stars
Control and Navigation: 4/5 Stars
Fun Factor: 3/5 Stars
Extras: 2.5/5 Stars”

Overall rating  –  3 Stars

Read more: http://www.allaboutcasualgame.com/2014/05/tales-of-terror-house-on-hill-review.html#ixzz32jcKaWEu

My Recommendation:    SE

I really liked the demo.  I found the story interesting, as was the gameplay.  I also liked the way the house changed and morphed.  I also loved the different heart collectibles, although there’s no reason to collect them, other than they’re there.  So I recommend the SE.  Unfortunately, with only a 30-minute bonus I can’t recommend the CE.

Last edited by stusue (May 26, 2014 2:44 am)

May 29, 2014 10:19 am  #17

Haunted Hotel: Ancient Bane – CE – Demo Review

Developer:                          Elephant Games

Date of Demo Review:       29 May 2014  (demo played 29 May 2014)

Availability:                           BFG – 29 May 2014

Story:

Brought to you by Elephant Games, creators of Haunted Hotel: Eclipse and the best-selling Mystery Trackers series!

Abraham Shadowy bought an abandoned hotel, planning to turn it into a haunted attraction for his guests. But when his guests start actually disappearing, people begin to gossip. Is it all just a publicity stunt for the hotel, or is there something more sinister going on? Join your detective friend James as you search for the truth among Shadowy's mechanical contraptions. It's dark in there, so watch your step in Haunted Hotel: Ancient Bane, a chilling Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure game!

*    Save James and help Anabel in the bonus game
    *    Win awards for your achievements in the hotel
    *    Collect 12 Egyptian objects
    *    Music, screen savers, wallpapers, and concept art
    *    An available Strategy Guide

Main Menu:

*    Play
    *    Options
    *    Strategy Guide
    *    Help
    *    Bonus Content
    *    More Games
    *    Quit

Options:

Sound:
    *    Music Volume
    *    Effects Volume
    *    Environment Volume
    *    Voice Volume
Graphics:
    *    Gamma
Other:
    *    Full-screen
    *    Wide-screen
    *    Custom Cursor
    *    Special Effects
Credits
Game Mode

Screen:

Bottom Left:
    *    Menu 
    *    Map  –  compass whose hands constantly move
Bottom:
    *    Inventory 
    *    Diary – top left on top of inventory
    *    Tasks  –  top right on top of inventory
Bottom Right:
    *    Hint
    *    Strategy Guide 

CE Extras:

*    Extra gameplay  
    *    Collectibles –  12 Egyptian objects  –  the first 2 are canopic jars with info about them
    *    Achievements  –  only 10 – all the usual HOS and minigames ones – speed and not skipping
    *    9 x Wallpapers
    *    9 x Concept Art  –  can be saved
    *    4 x Music  –  can be saved
    *    1 x Screensaver
    *    Strategy Guide

Game Series:

Haunted Hotel 1  –  released BFG – 4 January 2009
Haunted Hotel 2: Lonely Dream  –  released BFG – 28 August 2010
Haunted Hotel 3: Charles Dexter Ward CE  –  released BFG – 10 June 2012
Haunted Hotel 4: Eclipse CE  –  released BFG – 10 October 2013
Haunted Hotel 5: Ancient Bane CE  –  released BFG – 29 May 2014

Gameplay:

Collectibles:    Yes – 12 Egyptian objects – the first 2 were canopic jars – with info re them
Companion:    Yes – steam punk mechanical bug – stays in inventory
Diary:    Yes – just the normal story notes
Graphics:    Good – but very blue with pink highlights, as all their recent games
Hint:    Teleporting to another scene – can choose to teleport or go there yourself
Inventory:    Lockable – has diary and task list attached on top
Modes:    3 – Casual, Advanced, Hard – no Custom
Map:    Jump map – photos on board – shows Player, Blocked, Undiscovered, No current task, Current task
Morphing Objects:    No
Music:    Hardly heard any!  Once again it’s a super quiet game with only ambient sounds.
Tutorial:    Yes – windows open when you come across something to explain it – can skip
Voiceovers:    Yes – only okay – no lip syncing – characters come forward and you read the text

Difficulty:

The game seemed really easy.  I only played about 45 minutes and all I did was go from one scene to another, clicking on everything to see what that thing needed to open it, etc.  I found one thing that I needed – plaster – and all I needed to do to make a plaster cast of something was just to put the plaster on the indentation – and then, suddenly, without me having to do anything like even add water, there was a perfectly formed plaster cast.  Easy peasy.

I only came across 2 HOPs – easy, junkpile lists with a couple of simple interactions – typical Elephant – and 1 super easy puzzle. 

Black Bar Tips:

*    Too helpful and can’t be turned off
    *    Sometimes only told what you need to do, not what you need eg. only that an object was metal
    *    Sometimes told exactly what you need eg. you needed rope

Music/Ambient Sounds:

*    I found in the bit I played that the game was deathly quiet. 
    *    I only remember hearing one extremely brief musical interlude.
    *    I wrote: “Oh, now a few undertones – nope, gone!”
    *    Some reviewers said that the music was too dramatic but I can’t remember much music at all.
    *    The ambient sounds were creepy but I was BORED not scared.

HOPs:  

*    I played 2 HOPs in the time that I played 
    *    Both dark and relatively clear but not 100%
    *    Objects themselves easy to spot but not when all piled on top of each other
    *    Both lists with 12 objects to find (sometimes more than one of one item)
    *    2 very slightly interactive items to find, for example, use a knife to cut a rope 
    *    A couple of misnamed items – eg. a pen was actually a pin; a shawl was a handkerchief
    *    There was no alternative minigame that I saw.

Minigames/Puzzles:   

All have Info, Reset and Skip buttons.

I only came across one in the demo – super easy.  You had to match objects by colour inside a box with those outside the box and it said you had to memorise them.  I thought, wow, this might be tricky as there were about 8 of one object in 4 different colours.  Yeah, well, it might have been tricky had you not been able to open the box after placing every single object in the correct position!  Place one object, check to see what the next one was.  Place that object, check what the next one should be, etc.  I was SO disappointed!

Inventory:

*    There are + objects – you either manipulate or fix them, etc.
    *    The first one unlocked a mini-puzzle after you’d found all the parts in a HOS.
    *    Objects go straight into inventory and not first into a window that you have to close – YAY!
    *    When your cursor goes over an item a huge name tag comes up and you can’t see it anymore.

Strategy Guide:

*    Called “Walkthrough Menu” when you open it
    *    Shows 6 chapters, bonus chapter and collectibles
    *    Only first 2 chapters and location of first 4 collectibles shown in demo
    *    Chapter 1 – Entrance and Reception  (pages 2-6)
    *    Chapter 2 – Second Floor and Beyond  (pages 7-14)
    *    Chapter 3 – Garden and Basement
    *    Chapter 4 – Tomb
    *    Chapter 5 – Room 13
    *    Chapter 6 – Shrine
    *    Bonus Chapter – Annabel’s Story
    *    Collectibles

Collectibles:     12

*    There are only 12 – so not in every scene – and they just stand there, waiting to be collected
    *    Egyptian objects – the first 2 were canopic jars
    *    A window opens with a picture of the object on the left and some info re the object on the right
    *    You have the option of going to the Collectibles Room when the window opens
    *    Collectibles Room – the 12 objects are displayed – you can click on them and see the window again

Achievements:     10

*    Only 10
    *    Nothing new – the usual performance-based HOP/minigame ones

Bonus Chapter:

No idea.

Length:

No idea.

Miscellaneous:

*    Your partner in crime just suddenly appears in a scene without walking in – weird.
    *    The half of the demo that I played was slow, slow, slow and boring.
    *    I loved the opening scene but thereafter there was no drama or scariness.

Excerpts from some BFG reviews:    (they reflect how I felt about the demo)

cbtx wrote:

I agree that the excitement level is simply not there for this game ---- can't really say why, but games from this developer are getting more mundane all the time. Nothing special at all, but a nice enough game for a SE purchase later.

And I wonder what is with this dev's use of the blues and purples that we are seeing quite a bit of lately? Not a big deal, but I had seen it written about before ---- and it's true ---- those color schemes are showing up a lot in their recent offerings.

And I also see the puzzles are getting simpler and simpler ---- not a good trend at all.

And the HO scenes are not much to get excited about, either.

Oh, well, maybe 6 out of 10 ---- certainly no more, and in no way measures up to some of the outstanding offerings we have seen recently.

angelfish101 wrote:

It seems as though the pachyderms have chosen to follow the bunnies in producing games that are pretty much exactly the same as the last one they released. Different story, same gameplay, same bland HOS, same ridiculously easy puzzles; it's all just so familiar and therefore became boring very quickly. As for a 90 minute demo, I didn't make it much past half an hour before I exited this disappointing effort.

I beta tested this game and said pretty much as above; this developer used to produce games that were challenging but nowadays they've gone down the path of quantity over quality. An alternative to the unimaginative HOS would be one step in the right direction but no such luck. Yes the graphics are nice as always but that just isn't enough.

Other Reviewers:

*    One reviewer loved it and gave it 10/10 after the demo. 
    *    JustTheFacts said it was okay but nothing more and gave it 4/5. 
    *    Valdy wasn’t thrown off her chair with excitement and said definitely not the CE. 
    *    Tufty57 didn’t like it and didn’t recommend it.

Statistics on BFG game page as of ? May 2014:    (none yet)

*    ? reviews  –  average ? stars
    *    ? gave 5 stars  –  ? gave 4 stars  –  ? gave 3 stars  –  ? gave 2 stars  –  ? gave 1 star
    *    ?% recommended the game  –  ?/?
    *    Fun Factor  –  ?
    *    Visual/Sound Quality  –  ?
    *    Level of Challenge  –  ?
    *    Storyline  –  ?

Excerpt from All About Casual Game’s Review:    (not reviewed yet)

?

My Recommendation:    SE only if you like the demo – nothing to recommend the CE

I was bored, bored, bored in the demo.  All I was doing was finding that everything I touched needed something to open it, etc.  There were 2 boring list HOSs and 1 boring, easy peasy minigame.  I was just going through the motions and I’d been so excited when I’d opened the game.  However, once I realised that the Options were exactly the same as I’d reviewed in several games recently, and then came across exactly the same blue and pink graphics, my excitement plummeted.  Then, to do nothing much and have an almost silent, unexciting game, my excitement hitched a ride out of there.

When typing up this review I used a recent demo review I’d done for another Elephant game and I hardly had to change anything as they’re all the same!  From releasing one on average every month, they’ve released one every 2 weeks since the middle of April, and they all seem the same, with the same blue graphics with pink highlights.

I can’t recommend this game at all after having played half of the demo.  However, I’ll keep an eye on the reviews and see if the game improves further into the game.  I’ll also play more of the demo another day in case my opinion changes if I’m in a different mood.

But with only 12 easy collectibles and then the usual extras I can’t recommend the CE.

June 5, 2014 4:07 am  #18

Awakening 6: The Redleaf Forest – CE – Demo Review

Publisher/Developer:        Boomzap

Date of Demo Review:       5 June 2014  (demo played 5 June 2014)

Availability:                           BFG – 31 May 2014

Story:

Brought to you by Boomzap Games, the creators of the Awakening series, Dana Knightstone, Otherworld, and Botanica series.

Queen Sophia embarks on one final journey to rescue her parents and to defeat Dreadmyre once and for all. Her search has led her to the Redleaf Forest where she is to find the centaur who can help her forge the Blade of Courage. Will Sophia finally defeat the evil which has shadowed over her journey and be able to reunite with her parents?

*    Strategy Guide
    *    Hidden collectibles and Achievements
    *    Replayable cutscenes, music, wallpaper and concept art
    *    Bonus Game: Create seeds and grow unique flowers
    *    Bonus chapter: Meet the Skyward Kingdom's littlest princess!        

Main Menu:

*    Play
    *    Settings
    *    Bonus Chapter
    *    Garden
    *    Bonus Content
    *    More games
    *    Achievements
    *    Trailer

Settings:

*    Credits
    *    Full screen
    *    Use system cursor
    *    Achievement Notifications  –  well, that’s a first for me! 
    *    Sound Effects Volume
    *    Music Volume
    *    Voice-Over Volume

More Games:

*    Awakening Series
    *    Otherworld Series
    *    Antique Road Trip Series
    *    Dana Knightstone’s Novel Series
    *    Botanica Series
    *    Emberwing
    *    Other –
              *    Passport to Paradise
              *    Frogs in Love
              *    Jewels of Cleopatra
              *    Zen Fashion

CE Extras:

*    Bonus chapter  
    *    Collectibles  –  45
    *    Achievements  –  you start with 8 and more are added as you earn them
    *    Cutscenes  –  no idea how many  (only available in Full Version)
    *    Wallpapers  –  12  (only available in Full Version)
    *    Strategy Guide
    *    Concept Art  –  no idea how many  –  can be saved  (only available in Full Version)
    *    Soundtrack  –  12  –  can be saved  (only available in Full Version – can’t even listen to them!)
    *    Screensaver  –  None
    *    Morphing objects  –  None

Awakening Series:

Awakening 1: The Dreamless Castle  –  released BFG – 13 February 2010
Awakening 2: Moonfell Wood  –  released BFG – 25 December 2010
Awakening 3: The Goblin Kingdom CE  –  released BFG – 25 August 2011
Awakening 4: The Skyward Castle CE  –  released BFG – 23 August 2012
Awakening 5: The Sunhook Spire CE  –  released BFG 20 – 17 August 2013
Awakening Kingdoms  –  FTP  –  released BFG – 11 December 2013
Awakening 6: The Redleaf Forest CE  –  released BFG – 31 May 2014

Gameplay:

Black Bar Tips:    Very helpful  –  sometimes a little too helpful
Collectibles:    Yes  –  45
Companions:    Yes  –  3   –  owl, dragon and Princess Sophia
Diary:    None
Graphics:    Good  –  but garish bright colours on dark background - dragon not so well drawn
Hint:    Jump hint  –  you can choose to be taken there or go there yourself
Modes:    3  –  Relaxed, Normal, Dreadmyre  –  no Custom
Map:    Jump map  –  shows where there are task to be done
Objectives:    Come up on screen whenever you get a new one
Quality:    Very good      
Strategy Guide:    Yes  –  7 chapters, bonus, collectibles, garden  –  only Chaps 1–2 in demo
Tutorial:    Yes  –  optional
Voiceovers:    Okay  –  no lip syncing  

Difficulty:

I only played Chapter 1 but it didn’t seem to be too easy, the usual running back and forth with inventory items being needed everywhere. 

I only came across 2 HOPs, which were both challenging.  One was a list with 12 objects, 7 of which were yellow, which meant they needed extra interactions – for example, finding all the pages of a diary, untying heaps of knots, cutting a photo to put in a frame – some of which were hidden behind other objects.  Once finished you could click on some of the things you’d put together – for example, a diary, a locket – and look at them again.  The second was a progressive silhouette which contained some little mini-puzzles. 

I also only played 2 minigames, both of which were easy.  The challenge was working out what the instructions meant as they weren’t very clear.  Once I’d worked out what you had to do both were very easy and took no time at all.

There is an achievement for not using hints and not skipping any of the 64 minigames – 21 HOP minigames – 43 Non-HOP minigames!  That in itself shows that the HOPs contain little minigames.

HOPs:    21

They’re called Hidden Object Minigames and are much more fun and challenging than normal with minigames in them.  See Difficulty directly above for details.

Minigames/Puzzles:    43

They’re called Non-Hidden Object Minigames.  See Difficulty directly above for details.

Black Bar Tips:

The BBTs were very helpful, as sometimes it wasn’t obvious what was needed, but sometimes they were too helpful.

Map:

The map is pretty boring and unimaginative with little circles with tiny pictures of the scenes.  If you hover the cursor over the top of one of the small circles a larger picture of that scene is shown to the right.  The cursor turns into a large arrow and you can click to jump to that scene.

It shows the location of the player, where there are tasks to be done, and blocked.

Collectibles:     45

You collect what looks like small stones with a sketch of a flower on them.  I found one in each scene and they were pretty easy to spot.  However, it says that there are also gold ones that are harder to spot and thus worth more (I think you use them in the bonus in the garden).

dancemom1 wrote:  The only collectibles I found were the rune looking stone flowers (some areas have more than one, so be on the lookout). Some are quite small and difficult to see, or blend very well into the background. Not as easy to spot at you may think. You are suppose to spend them in the garden and buy things, but I haven't found that yet. Also said there were "special" golden collectibles, but I guess they are too hard to see, as I haven't found any at all.

The Garden:

This is what JustTheFacts said about the Garden:

The Garden looks pretty cool. Enough for me to buy the CE for the first time with this series. You must buy seeds with your flower stones, collect them with a Match 3-like mini-game, and then combine and plant them in order to create the lilies from recipes. They are fun ones like “laughing lilies. (I didn’t get this from the demo, it was available in the beta) I enjoyed this unusual twist.

Strategy Guide:

Chapter 1  –  The Centaur Forest  (7 pages – no page numbers)
Chapter 2  –  The Forest Fork  (5 pages)
Chapter 3  –  The Forest Patch
Chapter 4  –  The Castle Entrance
Chapter 5  –  The Golem Room
Chapter 6  –  The Cure
Chapter 7  –  The Stairs Room
Bonus Chapter
Collectibles and the Garden

Achievements:     ?  –  you start with 8 but more are added as you earn them

You start with:

The Seeker  –  Find the Boomzap logo
The Enduring  –  No Hints and no Skips in all minigames  (64)
The Patient  –  No Hints in Hidden Object Minigames  (21)
The Diligent  –  No Skips in Non-Hidden Object Minigames  (43)
The Resilient  –  Finish the game in Dreadmyre Mode
The Ambitious  –  Collect all Collectibles  (45)
The Intuitive  –  Get all lilies  (15)
The Creative  –  Finish all germination minigames  (15)

At the end of the first chapter I got:

The Brave  –  Chase after the Ogre

One reviewer said that she had 18 achievements at the end of the main game but didn't know how many there were in the bonus.  Maybe the 8 you start with are all the performance-based achievements and the ones you get during the game are the story-based ones.

Bonus Chapter:

Excerpts from the reviews below:

*    one of the best bonus chapters I have EVER played!
    *    is very adorable and also nostalgic.
    *    the bonus chapter is very interesting … is definitely something new.
    *    the best of the game is in the bonus content with the garden and its puzzles!and yet i found
              them too easy!

*    it was cute and managed to give information about what happened to almost all the characters
              after the event from the main game.

Length:

*    JustTheFacts took 45 mins to do the demo, which is the first 2 chapters
    *    MSBAM100 took 75 mins to do the demo
    *    One reviewer said short – main game only 3 hours
    *    Another reviewer said it seemed shorter than the other Awakening games

Miscellaneous:

*    This is apparently Princess Sophia’s final journey
    *    There’s a lot to do in each scene
    *    The game seemed to move along really slowly without much excitement

Statistics on BFG game page as of 5 June 2014:

*    46 reviews  –  average 4.2 stars
    *    25 gave 5 stars  –  10 gave 4 stars  –  7 gave 3 stars  –  2 gave 2 stars  –  2 gave 1 star
    *    83% recommended the game  –  35/42
    *    Fun Factor  –  4.2
    *    Visual/Sound Quality  –  4.4
    *    Level of Challenge  –  4
    *    Storyline  –  4.2

Excerpt from All About Casual Game’s Review:    5 stars

The story in this final Awakening game continues smoothly from the ending of the previous chapter.    ...     It is not a problem if you are new to the franchise, the start cleverly summarizes all the important events you need to know in just a short, concise cutscene.

The visual aspects of all of the games from Boomzap are as we know, top-notch. Awakening: The Redleaf Forest is no exception, it actually takes the already splendid visuals a couple of steps further. The Redleaf Forest is definitely stunning, each scene is carefully crafted, filled with gorgeous details and amazing colors; the whole visual experience is just wonderful. The cutscenes have also improved compared to previous games from Boomzap; actions are more exciting and animations are smoother. Moreover, the music is absolutely charming - accompanied by high-quality voice overs.

The Awakening series has never meant to be overly-challenging as the developer intends to provide players with relaxing, enjoyable experience. Nonetheless, Awakening: The Redleaf Forest is more challenging that we expected. The basic principals of the game remain the same; our two adorable animal helpers are also back, the pocket dragon and the wise owl. What really stands out in Awakening: The Redleaf Forest is the creativity illustrated in the game's hidden object scenes and mini-games. The Hidden Object scenes come in various styles and every single one of them is highly interactive; Boomzap has really taken hidden object scenes to a new level. The mini-games are mostly on the easy side, but there are a few of them which we found difficult. Each mini-games ties in with the storyline very smartly and some of them are actually quite unique. However, instructions to these mini-games can be a little vague.

As Awakening: The Redleaf Forest is the end of Sophia's journey to find her parents, the ending of this final game is very satisfying. It sums up everything without loose ends and it is certainly worth the six games we have played. One point though, the length of the game could be longer - as a fast player, we completed the game in just about three hours on the easiest mode.

Still, we recommend getting the Collector's Edition because the Bonus Chapter is terrific. In the one hour long bonus chapter, you take on the role of the nanny of little Andreia, Sophia's little daughter that seems to be just as fearless as her mom. It is like a trip down the memory lane, surely a must play final chapter for the fans of the franchise. Most of the extras are the norm apart from the Garden. in the Garden, you trade your collectibles into flower seeds; grow them, or even cross-breed them - an excellent addition to the Collector's Edition.

Awakening: The Redleaf Forest is the most beautiful, most challenging, most creative and most fabulous Awakening game. It is not flawless, but it is one of the best HOPA games we could have asked for. For now, we have to say farewell to Queen Sophia and all of our friends in the exquisite world of Awakening...until we meet again.

Graphics: 5/5 Stars
Sound: 5/5 Stars
Story: 4.5/5 Stars
Originality: 4.5/5 Stars

Gameplay: 4.5/5 Stars
Puzzles: 4.5/5 Stars
Control and Navigation: 5/5 Stars
Fun Factor: 5/5 Stars
Extras: 5/5 Stars

Read more: http://www.allaboutcasualgame.com/2014/06/awakening-redleaf-forest-review.html#ixzz33mJQi0zI

My Recommendation:    SE and, if you want the end of the saga and the bonus garden, the CE

When the game started I thought wow, what a beautiful game.  It had the most amazing, rich colours that looked like they’d been painted on a black background, which I love.  But then, by the end of the first chapter, I thought the colours looked garish as they’re so bright on a very dark background.

I wasn’t thrilled by the game – but I must say that I much prefer really dark games and not fantasy games – but I really loved the 2 HOMGs (Hidden Object Minigames as they call them) that I played and so would get the SE for that reason alone.  I also found the gameplay not overly simplistic, which I also liked.  The NHOMGs (Non-Hidden Object Minigames) really needed clearer instructions.  However, once I’d worked out what they meant the 2 minigames that I played were very easy and very short – although original and fun.

SE or CE?

ThelmaBG wrote:    5 stars – completed game

Outstanding! Tops them all!

It's all been covered before in previous reviews, so do not feel the need to add anything. I just couldn't pass the opportunity to rate this game its well-deserved 5 stars as this game is simply outstanding in every sense of the word. If you are a fan of the series you will absolutely love this one as the developer takes it to a whole other level with an endless variety of puzzles, HOS, action, brilliant story, and characters, stunning graphics, and one of the best bonus chapters I have EVER played!

Truly, this game has spoiled me for anything else now as there simply isn't anything that can compare. LOVED, LOVED, LOVED IT!

anda91panda wrote (excerpt):    5 stars – completed game

And about the bonus chapter, it was cute and managed to give information about what happened to almost all the characters after the event from the main game.

However is it just me or did they use one of the scenes from the Awakening kingdom game( the 3rd sub-location in Mystic Copse) in the tree house in the bonus game?

Anyway, it was a good ending for the series, but it did not live up to the previous games.

dentry1012 wrote:    5 stars – completed game

Thank you BFG and Boomzap!

I have played all of the Awakening games ever since Dreamless Castle and finale did not disappoint. In fact, it was beyond my expectations! As usual the graphics were beautiful and the music was great. Hidden object scenes and puzzles were very creative and blended well in the story. The ending to this amazing series was wonderfully made and is definitely a treat for fans like me. The CE is worth it, especially with the garden that you unlock after the main game and the bonus chapter which is very adorable and also nostalgic. I recommend this game to everyone and thank BFG and the people of Boomzap for giving us such an unforgettable series.

thakildis wrote:    5 stars – completed game

Bit shorter than the rest?

What can I say? I am speechless! As expected from a developer like Boomzap, this game is wonderful, exciting and one of the best I've ever played. The art and graphics were all beautiful. The voiceovers are very well done. We finally hear what Sophia's voice sounds like. The hidden object scenes and puzzles are very creative. The music matches the whole atmosphere of the game. It is a very fitting finale to such an amazing series. The ending almost made me shed tears of joy, and the bonus chapter is very interesting (not going to spoil anyone!) The bonus game is definitely something new. All in all, this is worth the CE. I can't believe we have reached the end of the Awakening series, but I look forward to more beautiful games from this developer. Never fails to deliver!

Judeejuju wrote:    4 stars – completed game

Bit shorter than the rest?

Was so looking forward to playing this as have loved all of the others in the series! It was good, but I don't remember so much back tracking in the other games, and the puzzles were a bit boring IMO.
That said I did enjoy playing this final chapter in the series and will miss my dragon helper..lol.

Sirikite wrote:    3 stars – completed game

Hidden object game

I bought this as I have the set as expected fabulous backgrounds from Boom Zap was not certain that this was a good game I thought they had thrown everything they had at the game a bit of a cobbled together feeling about it there was a lot of Ho to get through a bit over powering all together not a bad game but I prefer the other games in the series

Last edited by stusue (June 5, 2014 10:26 am)

June 7, 2014 12:52 pm  #19

Shadow Wolf Mysteries: Under the Crimson Moon – CE – Demo Review

Publisher/Developer:        ERS

Date of Demo Review:       7 June 2014  (demo played 7 June 2014)

Availability:                           BFG – 5 June 2014

Story:

A blood moon has risen over a rural village in Southern France. Wild wolves are attacking the citizens at night as accusations fly about townsfolk turning into werewolves. Is Martha Patio really a werewolf, or has she been falsely accused to cover up another person’s secrets? Examine crime scenes to gather evidence and discover who is leaving strange coins on the victims and why. Your keen observation skills will help you uncover the liars, but be careful who you trust in this small town, or you’ll become the next victim!

*    Play the bonus game for more adventure
    *    Unlock challenging achievements and collectibles
    *    Replay Hidden-Object Puzzles and mini-games
    *    Music, Wallpapers, Concept Art, and a special Screensaver
    *    An available Strategy Guide! 

Main Menu:

*    Play
    *    Options
    *    More Info    (forums, credits, SG)
    *    More Games
    *    Extras
    *    Midnight Hunter
    *    Only Silver Bullets    (achievements)
    *    Exit

Options:

*    Music    (slider)
    *    Sound    (slider)
    *    Voice     (slider)
    *    Full-screen 
    *    Custom Cursor
    *    Wide-screen
    *    Change game mode

CE Extras:

*    Bonus chapter  
    *    Music  –  4    (you can listen to them but Save is locked)
    *    Wallpapers  –  8
    *    Concept Art  –  10    (nothing exciting  –  can save)
    *    Screensaver  –  7
    *    HOSs  –  12
    *    Minigames  –  15 
    *    Strategy Guide

Shadow Wolf Mysteries Series:

Shadow Wolf Mysteries 1: Curse of the Full Moon CE  –  released BFG – 27 January 2011
Shadow Wolf Mysteries 2: Bane of the Family CE  –  released BFG – 29 December 2011
Shadow Wolf Mysteries 3: Cursed Weddings CE  –  released BFG – 18 October 2012
Shadow Wolf Mysteries 4: Under the Crimson Moon CE  –  released BFG – 5 June 2014 

Gameplay:

Black Bar Tips:    Good  –  not too helpful
Collectibles:    Yes  –  info re werewolves  –  you just come across them, no need to search for them
Companions:    No
Cutscenes:    Lots!
Diary:    Story  (usual story info)  and Evidence  (people with the evidence you find with analyzer)
Graphics:    Normal ERS  –  but like so many other games, very blue
Inventory:    Can be locked  –  inventory items open in window and you have to click to close
Modes:    3  –  Casual, Advanced, Hard  –  no Custom  –  you can change during the game in Options
Map:    Jump map  –  “Everything done here”  –  “You can go here”  –  “You are here”
Strategy Guide:    Yes  –  7 chapters, bonus, collectibles  –  only Chaps 1–3 in demo
Voiceovers:    So-so  –  I found the emotional tone odd  –  no lip syncing  

Difficulty:

Just the usual difficulty, neither too difficult nor too easy, just the usual running back and forth to get inventory items, use inventory items, or play HOPs and minigames.  Having BBTs that didn’t tell you what to do or how to do it or what you needed was great as it added to the difficulty.

You can also choose to have no BBTs if you play in Hard Mode, which has some level of difficulty –

*    Hint and Skip charge very slowly
    *    Active zones not highlighted
    *    BBTs are disabled

HOPs:    12    (that’s how many are in the extras – perhaps there are 24 if all played twice)

I only played the first HOP in the demo but I played it twice.  Neither time was very easy, especially as clicks often didn’t register.  The second time I played the HOP I couldn’t find the last 2 objects and, after changing to the optional minigame to finish instead of using the Hint, I found that I’d been clicking on the correct last 2 items but they hadn’t registered.  The first time I had to find 12 werewolf-related items.  The next time was 12 metal items.  Both times there were a couple of simple interactions, like using a brush to get rid of dust.

There’s an optional match-2 minigame where you have to choose matching tiles so that the connecting line doesn’t come across any obstacles (ie. other tiles).  I’ve played this game before but can’t think of what the game was called.

There’s a click penalty, at least in Hard Mode!

Minigames/Puzzles:    15    (that’s how many are in the extras)

I only came across 1 in the demo and it was very easy – a match 2 minigame around the 12 numbers on a clock face.  The only thing that made it at all difficult was that each time after you’d chosen 2, if they weren’t a matching pair, they swapped places.

Black Bar Tips:

The BBTs were great as they didn’t give you too much information.  You weren’t told what was wrong, what you needed to do, what you needed to do it, and where you’d find whatever it was.  All you got was comments from yourself re whatever you found.  What a change!

You can also choose to have no BBTs if you play in Hard Mode

*    Hint and Skip charge very slowly
    *    Active zones not highlighted
    *    BBTs are disabled

Magnifying Glass:

Whenever you meet someone a pale picture of them comes forward and you use a magnifying glass to go over their entire body, looking for evidence.  Once you’ve found it all (the ones I did ranged from 3-5 marks) the evidence goes in your diary.  I don’t know what it’s used for but I assume you need this evidence later in the game.

Analyzer:

When you find an unknown substance you open the Analyzer and place the object in it.  You then have to answer a few really stupid questions – multiple choice and if you get it wrong you just choose another answer – to be told what it is, for example, oil, smelling salts.

Map:

The map is a beautiful sepia sketch of the town and is a jump map.  It shows –

*    “Everything done here”
    *    “You can go here”
    *    “You are here”

Collectibles:     not sure how many

The collectibles give you information re werewolved.  The first one I found was a scrap of paper with some info re the first werewolf, but I found some of that information in the next note I found  –  you find a lot of notes with information at least in the beginning of the game.  However, as you just come across them when you’re playing – the first one I found in a briefcase you have to open – I don’t class them as collectibles and are entirely superfluous.  They may be interesting but not essential and not worth paying double for the CE.

Yet another CE without morphing objects.  They seem to be a thing of the past.  A real pity, especially given that this game doesn’t have what I class as collectibles.

Strategy Guide:

Chapter 1  –  Wolves and Werewolves    (pages 2-6)
Chapter 2  –  Martha’s Yard    (pages 7-11)
Chapter 3  –  Notes from a Mysterious Friend    (pages 12-15)
Chapter 4  –  
Chapter 5  –  
Chapter 6  –  
Chapter 7  –  
Bonus Chapter
Collectibles

Achievements:     15  –  when you earn one you can break the shield covering it to see what it looks like

Get to the heart of the mystery
Free a stranger
Rescue Edgar
First use analyzer
Phenomenal thought
Find initial evidence
Finish 3 HOPs without any hints
Care for Mademoiselle Martha
Solve a mini-game without skipping
Solve all mini-games without skipping
Finish 1 HOP without any hints
Solve 3 mini-games without skipping
Straighten out a very complicated subject
Care for the innocent
Read a secret message

Bonus Chapter:

No idea.  From checking out all the reviews this morning, only one person who has reviewed has finished the game and all s/he said was that the game was really short, only taking 3 hours, but didn’t indicate if that was just the main game or including the bonus chapter.  They also didn’t elaborate as to whether they’re a fast or slow player, what mode they were playing in, or whether they skipped any puzzles or HOPs.  And they didn’t really say much of anything about the actual game.

Length:

*    One reviewer said it took 3 hours, but didn’t state whether that included the bonus chapter

Miscellaneous:

*    I liked the meal I had right at the start!
    *    I found the game really slow to react to my clicks – I’d click and wait for something to happen
    *    I also found the scene changes really slow 

Statistics on BFG game page as at 7 June 2014:

*    20 reviews  –  average 4.5 stars
    *    5 stars  –  13
    *    4 stars  –    5
    *    3 stars  –    0
    *    2 stars  –    2
    *    1 star    –    0
    *    84% recommended the game  –  16/19
    *    Fun Factor  –  4.4
    *    Visual/Sound Quality  –  4.9
    *    Level of Challenge  –  4.2
    *    Storyline  –  4.4

Statistics on BFG game page as at 11 June 2014:    (the changes are in blue)

*    32 reviews  –  average 4.3 stars
    *    5 stars  –  17
    *    4 stars  –  10
    *    3 stars  –    3
    *    2 stars  –    2
    *    1 star    –    0
    *    80% recommended the game  –  24/32
    *    Fun Factor  –  4.4
    *    Visual/Sound Quality  –  4.4
    *    Level of Challenge  –  4.1
    *    Storyline  –  4.3

Excerpt from All About Casual Game’s Review:    Average 4 Stars

We are extremely glad that Shadow Wolf Mysteries is not another HOPA franchise ruined by ERS-G by adding cute animal helpers and childish features. Shadow Wolf Mysteries: Under the Crimson Moon is a creepy one, with chilling atmosphere, blood stained and many, many dead victims. We also appreciate how ERS-G approached this sequel with two main unique features; the magnifying glass and the analyzer. Whenever you encounter a new character, alive or death, a magnifying glass will be popping up asking you to scan the person to spot any clues leading to the investigation. The Analyzer is there to analyze some of your inventory items, discover what they really are by answering a few simple questions. These two features really add some values to the gameplay and make Under the Crimson Moon not as tedious as some of the recent ERS-G games.

What really come as a disappointment, at least fr us, is the visual presentation. ERS-G is known for making HOPAs with awesome artwork and beautiful scenes. The graphics in Under the Crimson Moon is still high in quality; however, we feel like we have been to most of the locations before, they are uninspired and not as stunning as we have expected. Anyway, the music is mesmerizing and the voice overs are solid, despite the lack of lip syncing.

Under the Crimson Moon focuses more on the puzzles than the hidden object scenes. Puzzles are unoriginal, yet entertaining - many of them can be switched between Casual and Hard mode so they should appeal to all levels of players. The Hidden Object scenes usually repeat themselves twice, each time on a different searching mode.

All this being said, we do not have the urge to recommend the Collector's Edition of the game. It is not because the length of the extra materials as this game has a satisfying length and quite a strong bonus content. For us, Shadow Wolf Mysteries: Under the Crimson Moon lacks the excitement factor. We were thrilled to play the game at first, but we got a little bored after a chapter or two.

To conclude, Shadow Wolf Mysteries: Under the Crimson Moon is a professionally-made HOPA with a couple of cool innovative features. Nonetheless, there are areas for improvements.

Graphics: 4/5 Stars
Sound: 4/5 Stars
Story: 4/5 Stars
Originality: 4/5 Stars

Gameplay: 4.5/5 StarsPuzzles: 4/5 Stars
Control and Navigation: 4/5 Stars
Fun Factor: 3.5/5 Stars
Extras: 4/5 Stars

Read more: http://www.allaboutcasualgame.com/2014/06/shadow-wolf-mysteries-under-crimson.html#ixzz34PBBU5bz

Excerpts from some BFG Reviews of Finished Game:    (my highlights CE versus SE)

Penny1942  -  5 stars
The hilariously diabolical ending is alone worth the price of the CE. I'm not going to spoil it for you. I just want to say I think I enjoyed this one more than all the rest of the series.

skullfun  -  5 stars
This is the 4th in the series and possible my favorite. The earlier games in this saga may be a bit more challenging or difficult to play than this one. That said, this is a Creepy, creative HOPA with a great story. Great graphics, voice overs, very little ho's and fairly easy puzzles. Bonus game doesn't warrant CE, you may want to wait for the SE. I couldn't wait because I love ERS....

Gragordrkn  -  4 stars
The game is very good and does well to keep up along with the previous games.    ...    
I do love the twists and turns that are taken into the story as well as how the characters interact with you. The game presents some fun and unique games as well as some old favorites.     ...    
I really enjoyed the game and I look forward to the next one.     ...    
The story while interesting, fell short in an area and created a plot hole.    ...    
One of the new features of the game, while fun at first got rather repetitive and boring that gave no real purpose other than hey it did it.But over all I really enjoyed the game. While not as well as some of the past games in the series. This one definitely is enjoyable and well worth playing!

Torpedo1  -  4 stars
Nice easy adventure with the most Werewolves I have ever seen. Smiles all the way. Lots of task, Different kinds of HO's, Beautiful art work and Characters and story line to keep you going. I was so busy with the game I forgot whether I liked the music but I think I did because I do remember taking notice of the music at the beginning of the free play.

tesamoine  -  3 stars
This is a definite improvement over the last 3 games in this series. Based on the dates they were released, however, there SHOULD be an improvement by now.    ...     The HOS were almost childlike. No lip movement, which drives me crazy. Puzzles were simplistic and I am not a puzzle buff. Graphics were the usual ERS graphics. Music was the usual ERS music. This game reminded me of one of the later Dark Tales games with the analyzer. I don't think this really merits CE standards. It was ok.    ...

demfrevr  -  3 stars
Not nearly as long as the others in the series.     ...

My Recommendation:    SE if you like the demo  –  not the CE

There are only two things that are different in this HOPA from all the others – the magnifying glass that you use to find evidence and the analyzer.  I didn’t mind using the magnifying glass but, even after only using it 3 times, the novelty had worn off.  I assume, though, that you need all the evidence you find later on in the game, so there’s a reason. 

The Analyzer, on the other hand, I found annoying as the questions were inane and repetitive and you can’t even answer some of them; you have to guess and, if you guess incorrectly, you just choose another answer (they’re multiple choice).  I would have much rather have done some sort of a minigame to work it out. 

However, even though these things didn’t thrill me, I liked the story and gameplay enough to put the SE on my list of possible games to get with a PCC, but it won’t be up at the top.  I liked the HOPs as I like finding x number of something, especially when it’s not a certain object but rather a type of object – here 12 objects relating to werewolves and 12 metal objects.  However, the one minigame I played was super easy so replaying them in the extras is of no interest to me.

SE or CE?

Even though I have no idea about the bonus as no one’s made a single comment about it yet, and only one reviewer has even played the game, I definitely do not recommend the CE as it seems to be a short game.  There are also no morphing objects and the collectibles, albeit interesting, aren’t what I’d call collectibles as you don’t have to search for them; you just find them.  For example, the first one is a scrap of paper in a briefcase once you’ve played a minigame to open it and you pick up other items in it as well.  There’s also nothing exciting in the Extras.

Thus, with no morphing objects and no – imho – collectibles, and a short game, I don’t recommend the CE.  I don’t think the CE is worth double the price, sale or no sale.  And the SE only if you like the demo and/or don’t want to miss a game in the series, and only with a PCC or in a BOGOF.  I can't recommend the game wholeheartedly as there's nothing exciting or novel, especially if it's only 3 hours.  However, one positive for recommending the SE is if you like playing with no BBTs, as this is one of the few games where, if you play in Hard Mode, you don't have any.

I don't know if the games follow each other or not, as I haven't played any of them yet, even though I have all the previous ones.  If so, then I definitely recommend the SE. 

Last edited by stusue (June 12, 2014 2:22 am)

June 9, 2014 5:21 am  #20

Myths of the World: Of Fiends and Fairies – CE – Demo Review

Publisher/Developer:        Eipix

Date of Demo Review:       9 June 2014  (demo played 8 June 2014)

Availability:                           BFG – 8 June 2014

MAJOR GLITCH !

There's a major glitch with a signet ring that a lot, if not everyone, is experiencing.  You'll find a way around it in the forums here (only a few posts down):

http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/283654.page

Story:

From Eipix, the makers of the successful series Final Cut, Off the Record, and Sea of Lies, comes more Myths of the World.

The rat catcher's after more than rats this time. He’s kidnapping fairy folk! Where did these pixies come from, and what do they have to do with your grandfather's fairy tales?

Play both traditional and silhouette hidden-object puzzles in this dark fairy tale game. A unique new Q&A puzzle helps you discover your grandfather's tie to the fairy realm.

*    Help Magrat rescue his children in the bonus game

*    Unlock challenging achievements

*    Scour locations for hidden collectibles

*    Enjoy concept art, wallpapers, and more!

*    Available Strategy Guide         

Main Menu:

*    Play
    *    Options
    *    Achievements
    *    Extras
    *    More Games    (14)
    *    Exit

Options:

*    Full-screen 
    *    Custom Icons    (large custom versus smaller system cursors – same cursors – yay!)
    *    Music Volume
    *    SFX Volume
    *    Voice Volume
    *    Credits
    *    Automatic Wide-screen 

CE Extras:

*    Everything is locked until you’ve finished the game
    *    Titania’s Crown is unlocked once you’ve finished the bonus chapter

*    Play bonus game
    *    Play puzzles  –  36 !!!!  
    *    Play HOPs  –  21  –  there’s an achievement for getting golden wings from them all
    *    Pictures  –  8 x Wallpapers (4 x res.)  –  8 x snapshots (photos taken of people for game)
    *    Music  –  ? 
    *    Movies  –  24    (locked – available one by one when you’ve seen them in the game)
    *    Making of  
    *    Titania’s Crown  –  an achievement for completing (?)
    *    Fairy Shoes  –  36  –  collectible fairy shoes
    *    Bubbleshooter  –  this is the HOP alternative minigame  –  an achievement for solving one in extras
    *    Screensaver  –  none
    *    Cutscenes  –  none 
    *    Strategy Guide

Myths of the World Series:

All stand-alone games so they can be played in any order.

Myths of the World 1: Chinese Healer CE  –  released BFG – 29 June 2013
Myths of the World 2: Stolen Spring CE  –  released BFG – 7 November 2013
Myths of the World 3: Spirit Wolf CE  –  released BFG – 5 February 2014
Myths of the World 4: Of Fiends and Fairies CE  –  released BFG – 8 June 2014 

Wow, 4 in less than 12 months!

Gameplay:

Black Bar Tips:    You can choose not to have them – in Chronicler or Custom Modes
Collectibles:    Yes  –  36  –  fairy shoes  –  in each scene  –  not too easy to find
Companions:    No  –  I didn’t come across any
Cutscenes:    Good
Diary:    Notebook  –  just objectives  – also shows time played bottom right in the notebook
Gameplay:    Usual HOPA  –  but with a monocle you use to see what things are really like
Graphics:    Normal Eipix  –  very good and crystal clear
Hint:    Directional  –  it’s the fairy bottom right of screen
Inventory:    Can be locked  –  with Plus Items  –  inventory items open in window – must click to close
Modes:    4  –  Scribe, Archivist, Chronicler  –  Custom  –  you can change during the game in ‘Menu’
Map:    Jump  –  very small compass bottom right of screen
Morphing Objects:    None  –  again!
Music:    ?  –  as I have no sound I can’t comment on the music
Objectives:    Come up on screen as you get them and then they’re put in the notebook
Strategy Guide:    Yes  –  only first 2 chapters shown
Voiceovers:    ?  –  no idea as I have no sound  –  with lip syncing!  –  click to fast forward or skip  

Difficulty:

Just the usual difficulty, neither too difficult nor too easy, just the usual running back and forth to get inventory items, use inventory items, or play HOPs and minigames.  However, having the option to not have BBTs would certainly add to the difficulty, especially if you turn off the contextual pointers as well in Custom Mode.

Modes:    3 plus Custom

*    Scribe  –  Archivist  –  Chronicler  –  finally some interesting mode names!  –  and Custom
    *    You can change modes in the game in ‘Menu’
    *    You can also choose to have no BBTs if you play in Chronicler Mode or choose Custom Mode

Custom Mode

You can turn on/off:

*    Tutorial
    *    Objectives on map
    *    Areas of interest on map
    *    Sparkles on HOPs
    *    Contextual pointers
    *    Helpful messages

You can turn on/off  –  with sliders if ON

*    HOP error penalty  –  easy, medium, hard
    *    Glitter on active areas  –  1-10 secs
    *    Hint recharge  – 10-120 secs
    *    Skip charge  –  10-400 secs

HOPs:    21    (number in the extras)

I only played one HOP in the demo.  It was definitely different.  First there was a straight list with only 6 or so items, some of which were highlighted and slightly interactive.  Then, once I’d found those, another list came up with more items and more interactions.  Then, once I’d found all those, a few very simple silhouette frag objects came up, and these had to be found by moving objects in the HOP.  Once they’d all been found, the frag pieces went into the Inventory, becoming a Plus item.  The fragments then became a very simple minigame in the Inventory, with only 5 or 6 large pieces.  Then, once the object was together again, you then had to do one more thing before finding the final inventory object inside that object.  Definitely original and fun, albeit not difficult.

There’s an optional bubble-shooting game if you don’t want to play the HOPs, which you can also play in Extras.  I thought that was a really nice touch and something that’s not always done.  I didn’t try it as I only came across one HOP so I don’t know what it’s like or how easy/difficult it is, or whether it’s something you’d even want to play again once you’ve finished the game.  However, if it is a fun game then I like being able to play it once I’ve finished and can just play all the HOPs in the game.

Minigames/Puzzles:    36    (number in the extras)

Sorry, but I can’t remember playing any minigames, other than the Plus items in Inventory, and didn’t make note of any.  Also, as they’re all locked in Extras I couldn’t see what they were.

Monocle:

Just like in Shadow Wolf Mysteries: Under the Crimson Moon, where you used a magnifying glass and analyzer, in Of Fiends and Fairies there’s a monocle.  I used this twice in the demo.  The first time I used it to play a little minigame on a door to get through.  The second time I used it to see what an object really looked like.

Collectibles:     36

*    There’s a fairy shoe in each scene. 
    *    They’re not all that easy to spot as they’re small and hidden.
    *    They’re accessible from the screen, as are the achievements.

Yet another CE without morphing objects.  They seem to be a thing of the past.  A real pity as I love morphing objects.

Achievements:     17  –  at least you start with 17  –  accessible from the screen

Easy Does It  –  Complete a HOP in under 5 minutes
Good Listener  –  Listen to the intro and voice-overs in the demo    ( so no demo = no achievement? )
Going for the Gold  –  Get golden wings from every HOP in the extras menu 
Perfection  –  Complete a HOP without a hint in under 45 seconds   ( ! not if they’re all like the first one )
Smooth Sailor  –  Use the hint button 20 times
Quick Mind  –  Complete a puzzle in under 2 minutes
Independence  –  Complete 3 HOPs without a hint
Bubbleshooter  –  Solve one bubbleshooter level from extras
Super Eye  –  Find 3 objects in 5 seconds
Supreme Seeker  –  Find 100 objects
Titania’s Crown  –  Find all of Titania’s jewels in the night sky
Puzzler  –  Solve 3 puzzles without a skip
Precision  –  Complete a HOP without mistakes    ( hard with the clicking problems I had )
Bubble Master  –  Solve a HOP with a bubbleshooter
Art of the Game  –  Watch the entire credits
Bounceaboute  –  Use fast travel on the map once    ( thank heavens only once as I don’t like using it )
Shoes  –  Find all the fairy shoes throughout the game

Bonus Chapter:

No idea.  I don’t think there are any reviews of the completed game and All About Casual Game hasn’t posted a review yet with any info.

Length:

No idea.  Once again, no reviews of the completed game.

Miscellaneous:

*    It played really, really, really slowly on my computer.
    *    I had to choose system cursors as custom cursors too sluggish (both the same, just smaller)
    *    Sometimes I had to click 2 or 3 times until it registered  –  in a HOP and to zoom into a scene 

Statistics on BFG game page as at 9 June 2014:

*    8 reviews  –  average 4.5 stars
    *    5 stars  –  5
    *    4 stars  –  2
    *    3 stars  –  1
    *    2 stars  –  0
    *    1 star    –  0
    *    100% recommended the game  –  8/8
    *    Fun Factor  –  4.4
    *    Visual/Sound Quality  –  4.6
    *    Level of Challenge  –  4.4
    *    Storyline  –  4.5

No review yet.

My Recommendation:    SE if you like the demo  –  no news yet on the CE but it looks promising

Unlike the last game in this series, which I didn’t like enough to even get with a PCC, I liked what I played of the demo.  I really liked the HOP with the different levels, although whether that continues I don’t know as there’s hardly anything posted of any value in the reviews and I don’t think there’s a single review by someone who’s actually finished the game.   So, if you like the demo and don’t mind fairies, then I recommend the SE.

SE or CE?

As for whether the SE or CE, that I can’t yet say as there have been no reviews by anyone who’s actually finished the game.  However, there seem to be quite a few extras.  There are replayable HOPs, and there’s an achievement for getting golden wings from each HOP in the extras.  There are also replayable minigames and the HOP alternative bubble-shooter minigame.

There are also two extras I know nothing about are:

*    Fairy  Shoes – but I assume this is just the collectibles
    *    Titania’s Crown – there’s an achievement for this so maybe it’s a minigame

So, from the limited information available at this stage I can’t recommend the CE but that’s what I’m tending towards getting.

Last edited by stusue (June 9, 2014 5:33 am)

Board footera