Finish Your Games Challenge

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 13, 2013 10:11 pm  #11

Re: What are your favorite genres?

It looks like PvsZ 2 is coming out soon, but it's going to be a mobile app first. No word on a release for PC/Mac. That's certainly in keeping with the trend toward mobile games, but the original version was so popular and successful. I hope those of us who don't do mobile gaming don't have to wait too long to get it.

Dex - I'm not very good at tower defense games either, but I really like them. Plants vs Zombies is an exception because I find it challenging but I'm able to get all the way through it. That's one of my all time favorites.

I just recently bought a fairly newly released TD game: Fort Defense. New tower defense games don't come out that often, so I was interested. I didn't find it too hard during the demo, but of course I always do fine in the beginning, until later when I don't . I'll report back when I play the rest.

Last edited by jen379 (September 13, 2013 10:12 pm)

September 14, 2013 10:58 am  #12

I never knew what was considered tower defense before, now I know.  I love plants v zombies, but don't know of any others.

"There is no more perfect stillness than the solitude in the heart of a snowstorm." Diana Gabaldon

September 14, 2013 10:44 pm  #13

More traditional tower defense games usually have a winding path that an enemy of some kind must traverse, while you put up upgradable defenses of some sort along the way to stop them. And there's (obviously) a tower or something standing in for a tower at the end of the path, and you lose if the bad guys get there.

So based on that definition PvsZ is an atypical TD game, but the gameplay is quite similar in many ways, with the upgradable plant defenders and your home, which is like the tower stand-in, needing to be defended.

(Of course, not that it really matters defining exactly what genre a game goes in, so long as it's fun! . I just like discussing some of the nuances of what genres and sub-genres a game might fit into.)

I'll try to post a list of some of my favorite tower defense games that I've played in the past, in case anyone's interested.

September 14, 2013 10:54 pm  #14

Dex - Can you recommend your favorite jigsaw puzzle games? I love jigsaws IRL but I don't have any jigsaw games for the computer.

barre - I hadn't heard of Skeleton Pirates. Looking forward to trying the demo.

September 14, 2013 11:54 pm  #15

Jen - I d/l Fort Defense based on your recommendation.  Haven't demo'd it yet, but will take a look . I did demo Beware Planet Earth today. Not sure how I feel about it, was really cute but I didn't think the tutorial really explained the objectives very well.  Will leave it on the back burner.  Would love to hear more recommendations if you don't mind sharing.  I do understand that Plants vs. Zombies isn't your typical "tower defense" game, but that's the only games that even vaguely fits in this genre that I've had success with.  I like them, I'm just really bad at them.
As for jigsaw puzzle games, I guess it depends on what you want out of the game.  Jigsaws Galore is my favorite typical jigsaw game.  You can choose piece type, number of pieces, use your own photos, all the options you could ever want.  It can be as easy or difficult as you choose to make it.  Patchworkz is awesome, it's more of a "game" there are rewards, and hidden levels to unlock etc.  It's really fun.  I know both of these have been mentioned here, but they are great games.  I would start with those two and see where they take you.

C.S. Lewis – “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”

September 15, 2013 12:21 am  #16

Jen - congratulations on finishing Plants vs Zombies.  I have to confess I am a failure, I tried to finish it but the zombies got me!!  The last level I was at, I was on the roof and it's not a straight roof, it's slanting, and you have cabbage and corn throwing plants.  Then they have zombies that swoop down from the helicopters to grab your plants......uuuggghhhh....I can't get past that level.....and that's where I'm stuck.   Then I tried the new Skeleton Pirates....wow, the action sure is fast, I couldn't do it, hence I did not buy it. I loved Patchworkz and all the jigsaws in there.  I've never bought Jigsaws Galore.  I do prefer doing jigsaws IRL and I have some fantatic ones.  My DH and I used to do them together.

Dex - did you try TMs like the new one from Realore called When In Rome?  There's also Rush For Gold: Alaska...I bought that one.  I forgot to mention another M3, it's called Laruaville, by the same people who made Cursed House.    

The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?  The Lord is the strength of my life, of whom shall I be afraid?  Psalm 27:1

September 15, 2013 1:13 am  #17

Barr - I demo'd a bunch of games today including two of those ones you just mentioned.  I looked at When in Rome - Royal Envoy 3 - Times of the Vikings - Imperial Island - Lauraville, Skeleton Pirates, Magic Time - Jewel Venture and just now Fort Defense.  Yep, suck at the defense things, did ok with Skeleton Pirates, it's exactly like Plants vs Zombies but Fort Defense, I'm stuck already level 3 I think or it could be 4 but it's right at the beginning.  There is no way I will be able to do it. 

Last edited by Dexter3657 (September 15, 2013 1:13 am)

C.S. Lewis – “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”

September 15, 2013 1:14 am  #18

Oh I have a cat - there is NO way I can do puzzles in real life.....

Board footera