Finish Your Games Challenge

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 13, 2013 9:51 pm  #591

Re: Finish your games challenge

Happy 1 Month Birthday to this forum! Even though I'm not able to post all the time, I do love to pop in here and skim over what everyone's discussing whenever I can. I'm so glad the thread found a place to continue (and even expand!)

Dex - I don't remember if we 'met' over at BF, but I'm happy you made your way over here

Tiramasue - I started playing The Snow this week. Hot and humid outside, but frigid-sounding winds blowing in the game.

September 13, 2013 9:54 pm  #592

Hi teeitup, thanks for your words of support. Glad to be back.  I just need some normalcy back in my life, so happy to have found  you guys!!

Hi TiramaSue, good job in setting up this new home.  Congrats on the one month, you all have done lots to the place.

Hi Stusue, nice to meet you.  Things are already looking up, I found you guys.

LOL one day back and you guys are already enabling.   I d/l a couple of games that Barr suggested on another thread, and based on the comments took a look at Betrapped too.  It's so nice to hear about games again.  I played some more of Lost In Reefs tonight.  Wow does it ever get hard fast - or I'm out of practice.  I'm playing timed with both square and honeycomb boards, those honeycombs are driving me crazy. May need to turn that option off.

I'm a little unclear on protocol here.  Don't want to barge in and mess up your nice new digs.  Please tell me if there is a more appropriate thread for my comments.  I don't think I've explored them all yet.  I plan on demoing a bunch of games this weekend.  If I wanted to share thoughts on them.... should I post them here? or is there a more appropriate place for them?

C.S. Lewis – “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”

September 13, 2013 9:59 pm  #593

Hey Dex, this is the right place to chat about games...it's named just like the old one in CCC...Finish your games challenge....but besides that, you can post in any other thread you like, no problem,  Feel free to browse and post. By the way, you mention Lost In Reefs...are you playing the first one or Lost In Reefs 2?

The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?  The Lord is the strength of my life, of whom shall I be afraid?  Psalm 27:1

September 13, 2013 10:03 pm  #594

misscatlady2453 wrote:

Lilyr - yeah that basically my worry. That they won't keep giving us pay for games and then they won't let us keep the games we already bought.

Hi Cat - Lilyr

Butting into your thoughts.  I too am concerned about the future of pay for games, but IMHO we should be ok for a little bit.  In the pay to play games there is a discount on the upgrades if you are a BFG club member. The membership gives you a game credit per month - they have to give us SOMETHING to use those credits on.  When/if the membership changes, that's when I'm going to get REALLY nervous.  I think as long as BFG are in business they will leave our purchase history on the site (should be able to d/l previously bought games) - I can't see any reason why they wouldn't.  What I am concerned about is if they will continue to offer technical support of those games.  We all know in time technology gets obsolete. Will I be able to d/l a game manager into my next computer?  Will the older games stilll play?  Will customer service continue to help us with these issues?  Those are just some of my thoughts.

C.S. Lewis – “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”

September 13, 2013 10:15 pm  #595

Dex -- I share many of your concerns.  In some cases I think upgrading the games will be/is the responsibility of the DEVs. BUT ... what happens when the DEV goes out of business?  I've already read a thread about the 2 YARD SALE HIDDEN TREASURES games not playing on Win 7!  As far as I can figutre out the DEV, SLAPDASH GAMES, is no longer in business.

September 13, 2013 10:19 pm  #596

Hi Jen,  I think I saw your user name a couple of times at BFG just as I was "disappearing".  I'm not sure if we were ever introduced or not.  Either way, thanks for the welcome.

Barr - thank you, but if you do see me "misbehaving" just shove me in the right direction.   I'm currently playing the original Lost in Reefs, but I also bought/acquired the second one too.  I got both of them earlier this week.  I used two PCC that were about to expire, but didn't get any punches for the purchase.  Is anyone else having punch problems?  I contacted customer service, and got a reply back from a representitive in Cork Ireland (they are obviously still working while in negotiations), and while it was polite, professional, and apologetic - the message was pretty much - yeah we've been having problems with that, fixed your account should get punches on future purchases, can't do anything about the missing punches, here's a free coupon.  In my previous experiences, they have usually at least TRIED to fix a problem.  Dunno, I just thought it weird.  It also messed up my strategy on not having hanging chads this month.  Will need to rework that plan.

OMG there is no spell check here - or I don't have it set.  I am apologizing already, I am horrible at spelling.  Please be kind about all the errors.....

Last edited by Dexter3657 (September 13, 2013 10:26 pm)

September 13, 2013 10:28 pm  #597

One can't really blame the Irish CS people for being less than enthusiastic.  Their days are all numbered.   And there is a thread in the ERS Dove Game Forum about people not getting punches when they bought the game.  I didn't read it because I didn't buy the game.

September 13, 2013 10:47 pm  #598

lilyr wrote:

Dex -- I share many of your concerns.  In some cases I think upgrading the games will be/is the responsibility of the DEVs. BUT ... what happens when the DEV goes out of business?  I've already read a thread about the 2 YARD SALE HIDDEN TREASURES games not playing on Win 7!  As far as I can figutre out the DEV, SLAPDASH GAMES, is no longer in business.

I agree, the more you think about it the more possible senarios (sp?) keep coming up.  If BFG stops suppling/buying pay for games, and even if the developers are still in business doing upgrades to the games, will BGF get them since they no longer have a relationship with the developer?  It hurts my head to think about it.

I agree that the Cork workers don't really have any incentive to be enthusiastic. I wasn't really blaming the CS rep, was more thinking that if BFG has a problem, they should be finding a fix.  I would never look at the Dove game forum, not interested in the game, no reason to go there.  Did they leave a place for BFG to post notices.  Before, if there was a known issues, it would be brough up in CCC and a mod would comment and let us know what's going on.  I think there should be even one stickied locked thread that we could go to look for these types of issues.  CS is going to get bombarded with questions for every time there is a glitch.  (I'm behind don't know what's going on - just spewing my opinions - maybe this has been covered and I'm just not aware.  I'm a paying member but I wasn't in the forums when all this went down.  I just went one day and it was GONE, I didn't realize the game forums were still there until two days ago.  I have no idea where I should be looking for information - not so much on the BIG issue, but on little technical stuff like I was mentioning).

September 13, 2013 11:20 pm  #599

I have read some articles about where BFG might be going in terms of where other developers are going etc. Mobile gaming is so big right now and it is believed by 2016 more than 300 billion people will be playing on just iphones, androids, ipads alone. A lot of that is because there are FREE games to download but also Free to play games that reel people in with the idea that its free but then people get addicted to it and pay to upgrade to the premium. Its also much cheaper according to this article to buy mobile games. Therefore a lot of companies like Playfirst, vogat and some others I can't remember decided to get rid of their pc/mac games and focus primarily on mobile gaming as that is where the future is headed and where the money is.

BFG however knows there are still a lot of people who like to invest in mac/pc downloadable games BUT are trying to get more into the mobile market by having their streaming service which didn't fare well. I tried the 7 day trial and found it worked horrible on my computer. The games went slow, there was always a menu bar and the games looked distorted. Because this didn't work out, BFG had to lay off a lot of employees that were involved with this sector of gaming. So to try and appeal to the future of gaming and to people like us, they have become more fond of the FTP (free to play) games.

FTP games are really popular right now because a lot of them let you play with friends. This article also said how right now there is a huge market for multiplayer games hence why games on facebook and other platforms are so popular. So BFG took the FTP platform and has tried different strategies on how to make it work on their site and now this last game they released will be open to people adding others to play along with them and chat with them while enjoying the game making the game more desireable because it adds that sense of a social connection through the computer.

However, FTP on BFG have so far just been for PC players. Mac players have not gotten these games because who knows why? Maybe its too complex to create it with our OS? But these FTP are what is predicted to take over gaming. BFG has stated over and over again that the games we purchase will always be ours even if their site goes in another direction, the games will still be within our reach to play forever. That has always been their business practice therefore if BFG were to go against that policy and revoke our rights to get our purchased games, they would have a HUGE lawsuit on their hands. 

I personally don't care much for FTP games. The hidden object ones are just items strewn in your face and although I was addicted to The Sims Social on Facebook for quite sometime, I never invested real money in it so when the game got canned by the company last year, I wasn't too devastated. I also don't like how you have to wait for your energy to come back to resume playing these games. I like to play as long as I want to without being told I have to stop.

This is way long but I just read a huge article and thought you'd want to know whats up 

Last edited by megwoman25 (September 13, 2013 11:24 pm)

September 13, 2013 11:30 pm  #600

Oh BTW, I actually really liked ERS' Flight of Fancy-2 doves. Of course Id never buy the CE and I won't buy the SE until I find out if there is an actual ending because ERS tends to leave their SE customers hanging but I like the playful, fairy tale land and even though some of it was beyond corny, it felt like more adventure than hidden objects. 

& Lily I saw your comment about letting her go undressed the whole time LOL I couldn't even figure out how to dress her! or what the collectibles really were! I thought it was the box people but then I would get bits of cake and not understand where they came from, same with the arrows for my guy. The SE won't have any of this dress up junk though, thankfully.

Board footera