Finish Your Games Challenge

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 28, 2018 6:07 pm  #141

Re: Finish your games challenge - 2018

lilyr wrote:

Tirama -- 15 new CEs? Wow! I thought I was doing well with 9. Those MC challenges sure do seem to come almost of the heels of one another. Good Luck!

But those were the first games I bought all year, so I thought I was being very restrained.

There was a 6 week break between castle challenges, but the more difficult tasks come during the last 10 days.  And I have very unlucky games.  Daily quests are supposed to be random, but my game often loops and I'll get the same 1 or 2 quests showing up when the new day arrives.  So there are times when I find it a challenge just to find the energy to play.

For every minute you are angry, you lose sixity seconds of happiness. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

June 28, 2018 8:07 pm  #142

I'm sorry. You really seemed to enjoy MC.

July 6, 2018 5:46 am  #143

I've just posted another review in my review thread.   

Beyond the Kingdom - CE   

This is a TM resource-collecting game.  And I loved it!  Some of the levels have to be played several times to get 3 stars as you really need to find the correct strategy - especially the bonus levels!  However, there's an Untimed Mode for those who don't like the pressure of the timer.  I also thought this game had a lot of originality.

The following is the Recommendation I posted in my full review.  However, if you want the details of the game, gameplay, difficulty and originality, please see the Full Review in my review thread.

Recommendation:    YES!

SE  -  definitely!

CE  -  if you want those 10 extra super hard levels (esp. the last one) and the SG to help

And I can recommend this TM for any level player.  As there's an Untimed Mode, and you don't need any stars to complete a level and continue, it's perfect for Beginners or for those who just want a relaxed game.  However, in Timed Mode, there are some levels that may take several replays as you try different strategies to complete all goals within the time allowed, especially the bonus levels!  So it's also perfect for those who want a challenge in trying to find the correct strategy, especially the bonus levels!  The main episodes aren't particularly difficult, other than finding the correct strategy, but the bonus levels are much more challenging.

I loved this TM!  It starts out really slowly with super easy, normal, boring TM levels.  Then it starts getting interesting at Episode 4.4, when it starts getting harder.  So, if you demo it, make sure you play the full demo and get to where the difficulty ramps up and the fun stuff starts.

There may only be 38 episodes in the main game and 10 bonus episodes, but the episodes are long and one reviewer actually complained that the levels took too long!!!!  How can that be a negative?  I didn’t time how long I played (I just wanted to demo the game but then didn’t want to stop) but it sure isn’t a short game by any means, no matter how few levels there are.

What you're doing today is important
because you're exchanging a day of your life for it.

July 9, 2018 3:17 pm  #144

So, another Bonus Punch Monday!   

I haven't had time today to do anything other than work out my own PCCs, so I haven't posted any reviews as I'd planned.  However, I'll let you know the games that I got and a brief description as to why, just in case anyone's looking for any games to get today.

3 SEs:

Home Designer: Living Room

In this game you design a living room and you earn money to purchase your furniture, decorations, etc.  You play Hidden Object Scenes - 15 different types of hidden object scenes! - including Picture, Word, Silhouette, Spot the Difference.  You play the same rooms over and over again (but you never know which room you're going to play), but in different modes of HOS, and it really helps to remember where everything is in the room as I think there's a timer (?).  I played this months ago with my FunPass at GH so I can't remember all the details but I do know I loved the variety.  There are also 5 different minigames, including M3, Card Memory, Jigsaw Puzzles, all of which you can skip.  There are over 150 types of furniture to select from and for each piece (eg. sofa) you have at least 6 options to choose from.  And I worked out that in order to earn enough money to purchase all the options (there's an achievement for purchasing everything), you have to play close to 800 levels!  So this game is loooooong!  Also, for the first time in a room-designer game, the options are realistic and the room actually looks really good.  You can have a modern room, or classic, or Japanese, etc.

Rune Lord

I demoed this last week and loved it.  Unfortunately, I can't remember much about it other than it has a different take on the usual M3.  You have to play each level several times until you get enough energy of each type.  Some levels also have extra challenges that you can do if you want but they're not obligatory - eg. drop flies or something down to levels that have toads on the side and they stick a tongue out and gobble them up (I loved these levels!).  Or you have to make matches of a particular colour to make a coin go up.  That's all I can remember apart from the fact that I put a great big tick next to it. 

Sweet Wild West

This game doesn't seem to have received many good reviews but I really liked it and wanted to keep playing so got it.  Limited-move M3 with some interesting boards and powerups.  It's not hard, but not easy to get 3 stars.  I didn't get 3 stars for at least 3 or 4 levels, maybe more!  It gets more interesting as the game goes along.  But it's a very slow game with no frenetic clicking.  You don't have a lot of moves and so you have to think about each move, so it's calming, the sort of game to play while you're watching TV.  I had to play some levels several times until I could achieve the goals and get even 1 star (if you don't get at least one star and complete the goals you're asked if you want to replay the level - you can't continue without at least 1 star).  The boards (sometimes up to 4) aren't very big as the tiles with fruit are huge, which actually makes it harder as you don't have much wriggle room.  I've only played the first 20 levels so I can't tell you how hard it may get.  But I knew I had to get this game after the level with 4 boards, where the tiles moved in a different direction in each one!

I also had a credit that expired today at GH and so used 2 and got:

Beyond the Kingdom CE

You can find a full review for this game in my review thread.  Even though I've already played this game, I loved it and, as there were no other CEs I wanted to get, I decided to get this one as it's definitely one I'll play again.

And last week I got 2 CEs, after not having got any for months.  I played one and was hoping to post the review today but simply didn't have the time.

Tales of Terror: The  Fog of Madness CE

Not yet played but I loved the demo and the idea of the fog.

Whispered Secrets: Enfant Terrible CE

Very long game and I loved it!  Not in my top 5 favs of all time but it was fun and interesting.  As for CE versus SE - the main game is super long but the bonus chapter is only about an hour.  It follows on from the main game but is a totally separate story and isn't necessary.  So I recommend the SE wholeheartedly but the CE only if you like lots of collectibles (3 different ones), achievements, an extra 1-minute jigsaw puzzle (20 collectible puzzle pieces = wallpaper), and an extra hidden object scene with the memorable objects you collect (35, all different, hard to spot, and in the hidden object scene you find them - I think a silhouette search - and you turn all the nightmare objects back into nice, friendly toys, etc., which was fun).  I liked the bonus chapter and all the collectibles but, as the bonus chapter is short (and I play with no help and go really slowly), it's up to you to decide if 3 types of collectibles (the morphing objects and memorable objects in the scenes are all different and not too easy to spot - and the puzzle pieces are almost impossible to see in the zoom scenes as they're translucent mother of pearl - all of which you can go back and find once you've finished the game, and they continue into the bonus chapter) are enough to warrant double the price.  I'll post a full review as soon as I have the time to type it all up.

July 11, 2018 11:19 am  #145

I've just posted a demo review of today's TGT.  You can find my full demo review in my Demo Review thread.    

Heart of Moon: The Mask of Seasons      

by  Unikgame

I had a lot of fun playing the demo and the recommendation I posted in the full demo review is as follows:

Recommendation:    YES!

I loved this M3/HOS/STD/Battle game and can't wait until Monday when I can get it with a PCC.  The story is nothing new, the matches you can make are nothing new, the powerups are nothing new  -  but I loved being able to change the shape of the boards, which was really helpful, switching back and forth at will, and I liked the different minigames.  It's mainly M3 but with some HOS, STD and Battles (no idea what these are as I never got that far) thrown in.  and you also get to restore the island, although you just click on the building when you have enough resources and it's restored, so nothing special, unfortunately.  And there are also 200 levels.   So, even though each level is pretty quick and, in the levels that I played, weren't super difficult, I'm expecting that they'll get harder the more of the 200 levels you play.

July 13, 2018 5:39 am  #146

Yay!  I finished a game and it was an old one too, that I have had since 2013.  Delaware St. John: The Town With No Name.

This game has 2 stories.  Each story was pretty short made shorter because I looked at the walkthrough a few time on Gameboomers.  I had a hard time knowing where to go to next especially with the second story with so many doors and many of them locked. It was confusing there in the orphanage with 3 floors and different hallways.   There was a chase scene in the second story (the orphanage one) that was tough to beat.  A tip in the forums helped me get through it. 

As with the other Delaware St. John game I played,  the voice actors are excellent and the navigation was still confusing. Pretty tough when one was being chased by the hunter. 

I still enjoyed it and it was nice to tick off another game off the unplayed list.

Last edited by sunshinej (July 13, 2018 5:41 am)

i ♥ nirvana

July 13, 2018 5:44 am  #147

Has anyone tried the demo on MCF: Rewind yet?  I have and thought it fun.  It is almost like a straight HOG.  Didn't think I would like it, but I did.  Not sure about the CE so going to wait for the SE.

i ♥ nirvana

July 17, 2018 11:30 am  #148

I've managed to finish 2 games this month:  Dark Romance: Winter Lily Collector's Edition and Witch's Tales.

Witch's Tales is a Clutter type game (but much shorter).  Winter Lily is #8 in the Dark Romance series (all the games are stand-alone so they can be played in any order) and among the better ones.  The storyline has elements in common with the Snow White fairy tale.  I like switching between 2 characters, and there wasn't a zipper pull - missing, broken, or otherwise - to be seen.

Speaking of zipper pulls, I played a game last month (it was either Phantasmat: Insidious Dreams Collector's Edition or Labyrinths of the World: The Devil's Tower Collector's Edition) where I encountered 2 zippers and neither had a missing pull.  Has to be a HOPA first!

Yesterday, I used a gifted pcc (thanks Shardlake!) to get Home Designer: Living Room.

For every minute you are angry, you lose sixity seconds of happiness. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

August 13, 2018 6:00 pm  #149

I finished Rainbow Mosaics: Treasure Trip 2 and Paranormal Files: Fellow Traveler Collector's Edition in July.  That gave me 2 Ce's and 2 SE's finished that month.  Not a good result.

I really liked the Paranormal Files game and I'm glad to see that there will be a second one.   The game felt like a cross between Phantasmat and Shiver.  The voice-overs were fantastic - I really enjoy a game so much more when the character you play actually speaks out loud when interacting with the other game characters.

Been having a heck of a lot of rain and thunderstorms in July and August, so as much as I'd love to play some of my HOPA games, I've decided to work on other types.   So far this month, I finished Fantasy Mosaics 27: Secret ColorsFantasy Mosaics 28: Treasure Map, and last night I finished Fantasy Mosaics 29: Alien Planet.

Was patting myself on the back for getting all caught up with that series, only to check the BF website and see that Fantasy Mosaics 30 was tomorrow's game today.  Not sure what I'm going to play next.  I hurt my wrist and can't play anything that depends on speed.

August 19, 2018 6:48 am  #150

I finished Mystery Case Files: Rewind.   The gameplay is like the original Ravenhearst game. So think of it as a old school game with a modern update.  There was 11 investigations and you had the option to use a timer or not.  I used the timer and had about 20 -30 minutes to complete the investigation.  Twice I ran short and had to redo.  The objects were much easier to find than say Prime Suspects or Madame Fate. 
You had limited hints (5) just like old times, but I rarely needed one since the objects were pretty easy to find.  Also, a skip button for mini games which I didn't use.   Since I played the SE, I don't know what the bonus content consisted of.

It was nice to play one investigation at a time especially since it is summer and maybe you just want to play for 20 minutes or so.

i ♥ nirvana

Board footera