Finish Your Games Challenge

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 24, 2015 12:51 am  #21

Re: StuSue's Photos

Dawn taken out the back window of my attic.  The bright yellow lines are plane trails lit up by the sun in the early morning light.

If I'm up at dawn (rarely in summer when sunrise is before 4 am) I take my book upstairs and sit at the window and read while I wait for the sun to come up.  It's glorious.

What you're doing today is important
because you're exchanging a day of your life for it.

July 24, 2015 1:37 am  #22

Lily, you can see here how deep the snow is when we have a cold, white winter.  The fence is about a metre (yard) high and you can see how I've cut through the snow when I shovelled the snow in the driveway.

July 24, 2015 1:43 am  #23

The path leading to my front door from the driveway after I've shovelled but before I've salted. 

The houses are turned side on where I live, with the front door halfway down the side of the house at the end of the driveway, rather than at the front of the house with a path to the street.

July 24, 2015 1:56 am  #24

Lily, here you can see the street and old foot-/bikepath outside my house and my driveway going to the left at the bottom left of the photo.  You can see where I've piled up the snow on either side of the path.  You can also see the very edge of my house at the top left of the photo.  As you can see I have a very high (it's a lot higher now), very natural hedge along the front of my house.

We now have a proper road and footpath (which cost me a fortune as we have to pay half!) and the path is now paved and twice as wide, with darker bricks on the half closest to the houses for the pedestrians, and lighter bricks on the half closest to the road for the bikes (Oldenburg is university bike town).  We have to have the path cleared before 7 am Mon-Fri before the kids start going to school (which starts at 7:50 am, poor kids, as it doesn't get light until after 9 am in winter), 8 am on Saturdays and 9 am on Sundays.  The path has to be kept clear until 8 pm every night, so we have to keep shovelling all day if it keeps on snowing all day.  If not we get a huge fine.  So I'm out in the freezing cold (maybe as cold as -25C, although it only gets that cold in really cold winters), when it's still pitch black and snowing really heavily, trying to shovel in between all the bikes.

July 24, 2015 2:49 am  #25

stusue, your pictures are glorious.  Love the pics of all the birds, so beautiful and varied and so close to look at.  Your mom has a wonderful view to look at daily and I can imagine how uplifting as you all watch the sunrise, sunset and all the goings on.  What a great place to walk in the evenings on the beach.

Your pictures of Germany are also wonderful.  One question, if you are physically unable to clean the footpath, do you have to hire it done daily.  I can't imagine, at my age, having to get out there and shovel all that on a daily basis. Although if I did, I would surely lose a lot of the weight I need to.

All these pictures put in great perspective your life as you are living it now.  You have the best of both worlds.  Being able to spend time with your mom, now, in the beautiful location by the beach and sharing this time with her is immeasurable.  You are a devoted daughter and as I know well, somehow, you just keep going and doing what needs to be done because it is in our nature, as women, as caretakers, to just "do it".  God is good and somehow gives the strength to endure and carry on.  God Bless you and your mom.  I will continue to say daily prayers for her and hope she continues to enjoy her view as long as she is physically able and feels the desire to continue on.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7

July 24, 2015 1:14 pm  #26

Wow!  Thanks for the pictures stusue. I love seeing them.  What a gorgeous view from your mum's window.   What a nice sunrise picture from your window in Germany.   
I liked seeing all the bird pictures too.  It was nice to see the lorikeet.  The Cleveland zoo has a lorikeet aviary and for a buck you can get a plastic shot glass full of syrupy liquid to feed them with.  I always do this when I am at the zoo.  It is nice to see all these lorikeets flying around you and maybe taking a drink out of your cup.
Ugh!  I'm not ready to see snow pictures yet.  Just kidding   That is a lot of snow to shovel and especially trying to keep a bike path constantly cleared.

i ♥ nirvana

July 24, 2015 8:50 pm  #27

I'm loving all these pictures!  Yikes!  Not loving the fact that you have to keep your walks cleared of snow from 7 AM until 8 or 9 PM!  What if you can't do it?  Can you hire a service to do it?  That's what I love about my plow guy.  Of course he only comes once a day (twice if the snow is really, really heavy).  I didn't knoiw there was anything called a curly pigeon! 

Board footera