Finish Your Games Challenge

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 14, 2015 12:19 pm  #21

Re: The Chat Lounge

I shoveled MORE than enough snow when I was a kid/young woman living at home.  One night I came home from work (after I was divorced and living on my own).  It had snowed most of the day but the streets were totally clear all the way home -- until I was at my street.  The town plow hadn't been through.  So of course my plow guy hadn't come.  Fortunately it was the light, fluffy snow that oscar is talking about.  I shoveled 1/2 of my driveway just so I could get into the garage.

I'm not really handy but about 10 years ago my 9 year old car had a lot of rust on it.  One spot was right by the back window.  I decided to see if I could do anything about it.  I went to an auto supply place and told them what I wanted to do, the guy looked at my car and told me what I needed.  I was so proud of myself!  It looked a lot better when I was finished (not like new, but ...)  Auto body work is about the last thing that anyone who knows me would ever think I'd do!

Tee --  A neighbor had the world's best Pomeranian!  I don't usually like small dogs because they tend to be yappy.  This dog was sooooo mellow!  She got him as a puppy and expected him to be crying the first night.  Nope.  Just went to sleep.  If she was out walking him and we started talking he'd stand there patiently.  If we talked too much he'd just lay down.  I'd heard that Poms were rather hyper, but not this guy!   Aren't there supposed to be some smaller dogs that are less allergenic?

February 14, 2015 12:29 pm  #22

My parents have Cairn Terriers and they are supposed to be less allergenic. There neighbours have a couple of Poms and they are yappy.  I imagine if the time is taken they can be trained not to bark at every little thing.  A lot of the people I know with small dogs don't train then in any way and just let them run rampant, I don't get it.  (not my parents)  One of my neighbours has a chihuaha that just roams about.  One day it is going to get hit by a car or eaten/killed by a fox, or a bird or a raccoon, or another dog.  I have found it in my backyard with my guys, who know him from their walks so they just run around with him, but who knows what could happen he is smaller than some of their toys.  

My dogs when someone comes to the door, geez you'd think I had a dozen in the house. I am working on that.  Otherwise they are good.  I guess they are doing what they're supposed to be doing, but when I say Quiet!  I want Quiet!

Last edited by oscar66 (February 14, 2015 12:32 pm)

"There is no more perfect stillness than the solitude in the heart of a snowstorm." Diana Gabaldon

February 14, 2015 4:29 pm  #23

teeitup:  How exciting that you are thinking about getting another dog!  CONGRATS!  Because you are looking for certain "types" (i.e., less/no shedding, small, etc.) I would recommend any of the following sites.  I honestly don't remember exactly WHICH site I used when I was looking a few years ago (and just got her 10 months ago - lol) but I'm sure they'll all be equally helpful.

I think at the time I was looking for a non-shedding, small, lap dog and ended up choosing a PUG!

Instead ..... I ended up with my sweet baby, Freya, a totally black (would have NEVER chosen a black dog NOR named it Freya on purpose - lol - but .... the name came to me and she was God's gift), who is a miniature long-haired chihuahua and Scottish Terrier.  Or, is it a long-haired chihuahua and a miniature Scottish Terrier?????   Oh well ..... she's small ..... doesn't shed ..... ISN"T long-haired AT ALL but barks way too much.

I remember I would put several treats in a bag and when she peed on the pad/outside she got to choose her own.  What fun!  Oh, and she's brilliantly smart and easy to train.

I hope these sites help.

http://dogtime.com/quiz/dog-breed-selector

http://www.animalplanet.com/breed-selector/dog-breeds.html   (I think I used this one)

http://www.petnet.com.au/selectapet/choose-a-pet

http://www.pedigree.com/all-things-dog/select-a-dog/BreedMatch.aspx

Where am I going? And why am I in this hand basket!!!?

February 14, 2015 11:20 pm  #24

I never, ever would have picked a Chihuahua, but now I would never want to be without one.  You can take them with you if you have to fly.  Mine is shorthair and doesn't shed much.  They love to be held and snuggle, My friend keeps getting Bichon Frieses.  I don't think they shed at all, so they're probably hypoallergenic.  They're very cute to dress up if you like that sort of thing.  I think they probably need grooming.

No matter how much I complain, I'm grateful for all I have.

February 15, 2015 11:30 am  #25

freyasmom wrote:

On Monday, February 16th i will be admitting myself into the hospital for an open-ended stay.  The last time I went in for a similar issue I was in for .................. 20 days!  Yeah  .... I know ... huh?!?!?  

Good luck for tomorrow, freyasmom!

I have no idea why you're going into hospital and why you could be there for nearly 3 weeks, but I wish you all the best and hope you get better real soon and come back and start some of those fun-sounding topics!

But NO electronic devices ????????

Double good luck to not only get better asap but to endure such a long time without anything electronic, like the means to keep in contact with us!  I'd never cope.

Come back to us soon!  I'll be thinking of you and sending lots of healing thoughts your way.

What you're doing today is important
because you're exchanging a day of your life for it.

February 15, 2015 2:11 pm  #26

Freyasmom...Get better soon and I hope you don't need to stay very long in the hospital.   Here is a flower  to brighten your room.

Teeitup...Good luck finding a new dog.  After my sweet little guy died last July, I took that quiz for dogs that are right for you.  I believe it is the first link that freyasmom has down that I did.  I choose a medium breed and my #1 pick was a sheltie which was what my sweet little guy was.  I did it again and picked a smaller breed that sheds less and my #1 breed was a Australian Terrier.

Oscar...You & me must live in the snow belt.  Where I live,  9 years out of 10 we are regularly above 100-130 inches of snow a season.  That's 254 cm - 330 cm. ( I used the conversion chart). 

Very cold today      A -5F today and a -12F tonight.

i ♥ nirvana

February 15, 2015 5:22 pm  #27

It is sooooo cold today my front door was frozen shut!   -31C! That's about -23F. 

Sun I do think we are.  I had a giggle about the cm.  when I was in school i think I was hitting high school in the early 80s when metric became the norm and because of that I still think in inches and feet, but think distance in kilometres.  I also think in pounds and ounces and have to convert when it comes to kilo my mind goes blank and then thinks 2.2 2.2.  Labels in the stores on say meat have both but I have no idea how many kilos I weigh.  I just know the number in pounds is way to much! Celsius, I just know that mid teens means the weathers getting nice!  So metrification did this to a whole generation!

Last edited by oscar66 (February 15, 2015 7:09 pm)

"There is no more perfect stillness than the solitude in the heart of a snowstorm." Diana Gabaldon

February 15, 2015 5:53 pm  #28

oscar66 wrote:

It is sooooo cold today my front door was frozen shut! -31C! That's about 23F.

Sun I do think we are. I had a giggle about the cm. when I was in school i think I was hitting high school in the early 80s when metric became the norm and because of that I still think in inches and feet, but think distance in kilometres. I also think in pounds and ounces and have to convert when it comes to kilo my mind goes blank and then thinks 2.2 2.2. Labels in the stores on say meat have both but I have no idea how many kilos I weigh. I just know the number in pounds is way to much! Celsius, I just know that mid teens means the weathers getting nice! So metrification did this to a whole generation!

Oscar, -31C is actually -23F, not 23F, and boy is that cold!!!!  So you were housebound today? 

We should be well below 0C at this time of year but yesterday we had sun, sun, sun and a top of 10C!  That's autumn temps for us.  The birds are already flying back north overhead after wintering in the south, and I noticed on Friday - another sunny day - that the buds on my hedge are already getting bigger!  And it's only February!!!!!!!!!!  Winter seems to have avoided us this year and we've just had a really long autumn (fall), which is the season I hate the most. 

We often seem to skip seasons.  Last year we didn't have spring, just 6 months of winter, although it wasn't a cold one, but that meant 9 months straight of cold and rain with the sun just popping out for a few mins every now again ... I think we had a total of maybe 2 days of sun in 6 months, as well as hardly any sun in the autumn before that.  I don't have a problem with not getting any daylight like a lot of people, but even I was going stir crazy by the end of spring and looking heavenwards and asking when it was going to warm up and when the sun was going to come out.  It really screwed with the birds as it was nesting time but it was freezing and the plants were really late in blooming.  However, when it did finally warm up, all the trees blossomed at the same time, instead of weeks between all the different species, and anyone with hayfever really, really suffered.

And a couple of years ago we missed summer - 3 months straight of rain and tops from 9-11C (around 50F) and rain, rain, rain, nothing but rain - in summer!!!!  That sure was a fun summer - lots of fun times in the garden, reading, sunning ... not!  But lots of time spent in raingear trying desperately to get rid of those weeds that moved in and can't be removed.

As for measurement, I'm the same ... I think little in inches and feet but big in kilometres.  Weight and height I can do in both but I tend to do weight more in kilos and height more in inches and feet.  However, liquids I can only do in metric - I have no idea how much a gallon is, for example.  I couldn't even guess.

What you're doing today is important
because you're exchanging a day of your life for it.

February 15, 2015 7:14 pm  #29

Big mistake there! I fixed it, pesky little minus sign. I did stay in but my sister and her kids came over.  And this is the first time my one dog has ever come to the door holding his poor little, pie plate size feet in the air. So they were frozen after just a short time outside.

Ya, I'm not sure what a gallon is either

February 15, 2015 8:36 pm  #30

Half gallon = 64 oz.
2 liter = 67 oz.
12 pack = 144 oz,  a little more than two 2 liter bottles.
So a gallon is a little less than 4 liters.  But I think Imperial (canadian) gallons might have 5 liters.
I measure by soda and koolaid

No matter how much I complain, I'm grateful for all I have.

Board footera