Finish Your Games Challenge

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 4, 2015 8:18 am  #1

The Chat Lounge

A place to share your funny stories or just anything that is going on in you life.

I went to the whole foods store yesterday looking at their sleep aids.  For some reason I just can't sleep until the alarm goes off at 5:30, but must wake up each and every morning way too early like at 2:30 - 3:45 - 4:15 or whatever.  Each time I wake early at night  I'm still tired and just laying there makes my legs cramp up, but still not able to  go back to sleep.  Makes for a exhausting next day. 

Anyways, I was talking to  the clerk at the whole foods store and she showed me a bottle of something called SleepThru.  It is made with herbs and then she asked me how much magnesium I was getting.  Low magnesium symptoms are muscle cramps, poor sleep and chronic pain.  Well, I do have the muscle cramps and the poor sleep so I am going to try the bottle of SleepThru and maybe add more almonds & cashews, bananas or yogurt & dark chocolate into my diet and see if that helps for better sleeping.  Other high magnesium foods I don't care for like fish, soybeans and avocados & pumpkin seeds.

i ♥ nirvana

February 5, 2015 11:18 am  #2

Re: The Chat Lounge

Sunshine, I'm the same way about sleeping.  I've been waking up at 4:15 for a month or two now, and that's with going to bed around midnight.  If I go to bed earlier, I'm up earlier and if I stay up until 2 or 3 I might sleep until 6.  I have no problem getting to sleep but I wake up way too soon and then can't get back to sleep.  I bought some melatonin or seratonum?  but it didn't make any difference.  And I'm not good with naps, if I do manage to get to sleep during the day I'm usually out for hours and wake up all groggy, it's worse than if I would have stayed awake.  
I'm almost over my cold, I've had it for a couple weeks I think.  I've been totally exhaused with having to move, which involves a lot of physical activity, I could only do a bit at a time, then I would have to rest, if I did too much I'd end up running a fever again.

No matter how much I complain, I'm grateful for all I have.

February 5, 2015 1:29 pm  #3

wendy...I have tried melatonin.  It never did much for me either.  I think I also tried valerian root with no success.  Like you,  I can fall asleep okay, but staying asleep all night is another matter.

I have taken that SleepThru for 2 nights now and both nights I have woken up at the 3-4 am range.  Since it does have herbal ingredients I willing to give it more time since those things take longer to work.

Since New Years the husband and I have been trying to eat better.  I have a serious addiction to raspberry tea.  Whether it was Pure Leaf, or Brisk or Fuze raspberry tea, I could never get enough of it.  So very yummy and so very full of sugar.  Both of us have cut back on chocolate.  I am so proud of him as he hasn't had any, but me I broke down and bought a bag of Ghirardelli squares.  I got the one with 72% cacao so it is pretty bitter tasting and less likely for me to indulge. 1 square is enough.

i ♥ nirvana

February 5, 2015 2:45 pm  #4

Good for you Sun.  My favourite, and only, flavoured coffee, fortunately no sugar involved, is Chocolate Raspberry Truffle.

I have always read magnesium is good.  For you Wendy it might be stress related.  On and off for months I had the same issue (funny about it being the same time, I started to get a little superstitious about it) prior to my husband finally moving out, indigestion too.  I did have sleeping pills though that I took.  A mild one that I don't wake up from feeling half baked.  Within a few weeks of being on my own I sleep like a baby.  Well, my one issue is waking up to use the bathroom, irritating, but I drink loads of water.  But I can fall right back to sleep.

"There is no more perfect stillness than the solitude in the heart of a snowstorm." Diana Gabaldon

February 5, 2015 7:06 pm  #5

I'm the same way.  No matter what time I go to sleep, I wake up almost 4 hrs exactly.  Last night went to bed early for me at 10pm, woke up at 2:30am, stayed up on computer till 5:30, back to sleep and up about 8:45am.  At my previous job before my last one, there was an older lady who said she'd get up on Sat. mornings early and be at the beauty shop by 7am.  She mentioned that as you get older, you may sleep fewer hours than before.  I don't think I have slept 8 hrs straight in years.  I used to have leg cramps too (really tight muscles that about killed me) and I was told to keep some tonic water in the fridge and take a few sips and they would go away almost immediately.  It has quinine in it and that is what helps and it works.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7

February 6, 2015 8:09 am  #6

teeitup...Thanks for the tip.  Tonic water sounds simple enough and inexpensive way to naturally get rid of my leg cramps. 

i ♥ nirvana

February 6, 2015 10:45 am  #7

That is a good tip. I've never heard that before.

"There is no more perfect stillness than the solitude in the heart of a snowstorm." Diana Gabaldon

February 6, 2015 11:29 am  #8

It's nice to know I'm not alone in my 4 hours of sleep.  I see Tirama on here quite late at night, too.  Hubby naps out during the day, we've looked up narcolepsy and he has all the symptoms.  Then he stays up until around 4am, when I'm usually getting up.

No matter how much I complain, I'm grateful for all I have.

February 6, 2015 11:30 am  #9

I had a cramp in my leg last night when I sat down in my computer chair ~ don't know if it was a nerve or a muscle but it hurt so bad that I couldn't concentrate.  Went looking for my tonic water since I hadn't put any in my new frig yet, took a few sips and the pain was gone. It's wonderful to have something so simple that doesn't cost much work for such an uncomfortable problem.  

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7

February 6, 2015 11:44 am  #10

tee -- I'm really glad a few sips of tonic water are getting rid of the cramps for you!

Board footera