Finish Your Games Challenge

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 10, 2014 9:04 am  #1

Beta Game Reviews

I hope for this to be a thread where EVERYONE will post their beta game reviews, comments and/or input, etc.

I will try to set up an alpha lsting like the demo reviews thread.

I've set up a thread for "beta games" links but in the interest of making life easy, I'm going to attach each beta game's link to their respective  review here as well.  ENJOY!

Thank you, everyone, for your kindness, support and for making me feel so very welcome.

Post No.                                 Beta Game Title

4                                         Magic Gate:  Faces of Darkness
      3                                         Mystery Tales:  Twilight World
      8                                         Redemption Cemetery:  Island of the Lost
      5                                         Reveries:  Soul Collector (RELEASED - 12/13/14)
      2                                         Small Town Terrors:  Galdor's Bluff
      6                                         The Emptiness (game has a disclaimer - read it, believe it)
      7                                         Unrecognized Geniuses:  The Master of Living Things

Last edited by freyasmom (December 14, 2014 12:44 am)

Where am I going? And why am I in this hand basket!!!?

November 10, 2014 9:14 am  #2

Re: Beta Game Reviews

Small Town Terror:  Galdor's Bluff

It appears this game will be marketed as a CE because I had to locate 25 morphing crystal balls during the demo.  I found 12.  Is this an indication that the game is going to be way extremely short?  A definite "hmmmm" moment.

In the town of Galdor's Bluff, named after a famous magician, two young boys were taught everything he knew (Galdor).  Then, Galdor passed away and the two young boys grew into men and, it seems, adversaries.  Your character, a Detective, has been hired by one the young men (Thurman) to investigate ... something.  Apparently, young Thurman is fearful for his life AND is concerned someone may try to sabotage his opening show.  Thurman's main fete has to do with fire.  Did he have a basis to be afraid??? Maybe so, as he was burned to death during his "magna opus" performance.  Is it Addington (the other young boy/man)?  Or, is there someone else who bears a grudge against the infamous Thurman?  Is Thurman even really dead??? 

The graphics were really well done.  The voice overs were great!  If there's lip-syncing, that's an automatic boost in praise for me - lol.  

There are 4 levels of difficulty, including the ever-popular "Custom". YAY!  There is also an optional tutorial, a journal I never looked at and a transportable map.  While there wasn't much in the way of "extras" mentioned, I did have to find a collectible morphing (yay) crystal ball in each location.  I found 12 before the demo ended.  THAT was terribly disconcerting.

HOGs were itemized list items.  Mini games equalled HOGs in ratio - IMO.  None were too difficult to accomplish.

I enjoyed the beta enough to play it several times (a glitch/bug during game play caused  me to have to restart several times) but having only ONE collectible item, even though it morphed, isn't enough to warrant a CE purchase ... for me.  As of this printing , I will most likely purchase the SE, unless the final "demo" has a lot more to offer.

Thanks so much for reading.

November 16, 2014 10:21 am  #3

Mystery Tales:  Twilight World

Possibly the worst beta game I've ever played.   Definitely the shortest in gaming history.   It was over before you knew what was happening.  But, then, that was another issue unto itself - what was happening?

It seemed the storyline was the following:  Mother (?) and daughter are off somewhere and stop in a local motel.  Daughter finds a hat box under the bed.  Hatbox opens to reveal the faces, with matching pictures, of people who a dead witch (from the past?) has captured to attain immortality.  Daughter somehow gets entranced - but how?  I thought mom/dad/whomever daughter was with was the "victim" and not the daughter.  How did a house appear behind the motel room where daughter was?  Who is the man in the house?  What bridge and why?  We are taken to a garden like area and nothing is done there.  It all turned, very quickly, into a discombobulated mess.

Graphics seemed ok to pretty good.  Sound.  Don't even get me started!  First, there was a horrible echo when someone spoke.  Then, music, voice overs, everything came in and out.  I adjusted my volume control because I thought it was my computer but, no, it was the game.  Were they talking?  Were they not?  Why so much reading if there are voice overs?  And when you DID have voice overs, the lip syncing did not match the mouth movements.  Real classy game here.  Sound FX were great ... when you heard them.

There were an impressive 5 levels of difficulty which included "custom" and a new category - "timed".  But "timed" wasn't really explained.    You received a map that contained a dossier tab - the dossier contained "dossier" and "notes".   You also received a "magic box" (which was the hatbox) that would contain items you would use throughout the game, such as a pail of ice.  Well, ok then. 

You also acquire a crystal ball that contains 3 gems (they were purple).  This crystal ball allows you to travel between the Real World and the Twilight World.  Ok then.    You have to find 3 new gems every time you use the crystal ball because that's what recharges it.  Use the CB and the gems crack and disappear.  Hence, find 3 new ones.  Do they have to be purple or can they be other colors, like 3 rubies, 3 emeralds, or a rainbow of 3 different colors?  Doesn't indicate.

The main page of the game indicated there were "extras" but at no time during game play did I notice any collectibles or anything that would be considered a bona fide "extra". 

It took me longer to write this review than it did to play the beta.  I'm sure it only lasted 20 minutes if it lasted a second.  Totally, remarkably, unbelievably short.

This game is NOT going to be a purchase for me unless they rework the ENTIRE game.

IMO this game  

November 16, 2014 11:00 pm  #4

Magic Gate:  Faces of Darkness

To  begin with, I still don't know, even after playing the beta game and taking copious notes, what the "magic gate" is and who the "faces of darkness" are.  Sad.

Nathaniel and his fiancee, Gloria, move into their "new" "old" house.  As they are unpacking, Gloria shouts to Nathaniel to meet her upstairs to show him something.  They converse and Nathaniel heads back downstairs to look for keys.  Suddenly, he hears Gloria screaming and he dashes back to her - only to see her pulled through a mirror - which then covers itself in a tarp and locks itself.   Nathaniel manages to unlock the mirror and sees Gloria on the other side.  So, of course, he does what any sane person in love would do, he puts his hand through the mirror and steps through to the other side.  He meets many characters during his journey ..... and what a journey it turns out to be. 

The graphics were very well done.  I had a lot of problems with sound.  The music was soooooo LOUD, even after I turned it way down in "Options" that I thought I would have to turn it off altogether because I couldn't hear any conversation.  The sound effects were amazing - babbling brooks, crickets, frogs and an especially annoying whetstone that wouldn't turn off so every time you went into that area that's all you could hear. 

There are only 3 levels of difficulty.  You have a journal whose pages did not progress with the game.  Every time you looked inside it, you had to find the page you were supposed to be on yourself.  There was also a transportable map - thank goodness - because during the beta game, I went back and forth over a gazillion times among the same 7 areas.  I counted them, 3 gazillion, 4 billion, 725 thousand, 121 times to be exact - lol.  It was a gargantuan number of times. 

The HOGs were standard list items but the words were so very small it was difficult to read them.  (Note:  the game did not display across my entire screen but only a portion in the center of it.)  Even though there were a lot of items to look over, the items I needed to find were not that difficult to see.  The mini games were fun and entertaining, even some new and fresh ideas, with some needing patience and perseverance.   There were more mini games than HOGs, IMO. CE Bling?  Unfortunately, other getting a peek at a few Achievements, everything else was locked.  But, there were 26 memory flowers to find AND .... wait for it .................... 26 fantom objects to find.  No, that is NOT a typo.  That's exactly as it was spelled in the Achievement section .... AND when you found one.  But, when you DID find that "morphing object" and the little window popped out to say you had found "x" number of 26, THERE it was spelled "Phantom".  Go figure.  

Things I liked:   
   Collectibles

Morphing/Fantom Objects

The storyline - that got lost for a while before it picked back up.

Things I disliked:   
   The issues I had with the sound.
    The sound the "hint" button made when you clicked on it.  Annoying.  
   The sound that was made when you acquired an Inventory item - VERY annoying.

On "casual", the hint button took so long to recharge I took naps waiting for it.

How the story line got lost among other things before it picked back up at the end of the beta.

Grammatical errors - constantly.  A "whisk" was actually a dust mop. A "ramrod" was actually a "torch" (not the flashlight kind of torch).  That sort of thing. It happened way too frequently.

How some of the characters Nathaniel met worked into the story?  It just made no sense.

Hmmmm Moments:
    How
did Nathaniel know how to make a potion without instructions?  
    Did Gloria know who she actually was.

What was the purpose of collecting the "memory flowers"?

As much as I wanted to really like this game, either it or I failed miserably because I didn't.  I'm not excited for this game's release as it probably won't be a purchase for me.

The link can be found at "beta games" if you want to try it yourself.

Enjoy!   

November 23, 2014 12:14 am  #5

Reveries:  Soul Collector

Wow.  Just really, horribly, terribly, awful .... wow.

The story line was "hokey".  King gets kidnapped on the eve of his wedding and is being turned into a tree because "Dark Wing" wants a pure and true heart and, apparently, the King's (and not yours - the Princess') fits the bill.  Off goes you to rescue your future husband.

The graphics appeared very "old".  Not very sharp or bright in color.  Very drab and boring.  The voice overs were awful.  Very "dead", boring and speaking so slow!  The music was nice, though.  YAY for that?

There are 4 difficulty modes, including "custom".  I'm confused, however, why there would even be a "custom" setting, as you can customize EACH difficulty mode to your liking.  Each difficulty mode, including "custom", has the exact same items to switch on or off.  Seems strange - it's really not needed.  There is NO journal or diary so remember your clues, etc.  The map is transportable and DOES show several open task areas at once - I like that a lot.

You DO get a helper.  I found it very creepy and not cute at all.  Yes.  Very, very creepy. It reaches high places and performs tasks you cannot.

The HOGS (hidden object games) were strictly list type with several items in colored words - meaning you had to perform something to find that item.  No variations on the them.  Except, later in the demo, there WAS an alternative puzzle game to play.  I didn't.  The mini games were ridiculously easy as well.

It appears this will be released as a CE as you have golden feathers to collect.  These feathers (no indication how many) will be used to repair a golden eagle (?).  You have the ability to do this every time you find another feather, as opposed to having to wait until the end of the game.  There are achievements which you can view at any time during the game play as well.  And, some of them are quite nice:  "for speaking to a servant".

I was totally and completely bored.  Absolutely and totally and completely bored.  At one point, I wondered if this were a play on Snow White.  If you play the beta, you'll get what I mean at soon as you come across it.  It was a game that offered no challenge whatsoever.  Not in the main gaming, nor the HOGs nor the mini games.  Sad.  Very, very sad.

This is definitely NOT going to be a purchase for me - either in a CE or an SE version.  Unless they remake the entire game .... from story line to voice actors to .... well, everything.  It's just such an awful game coming from ERS.  Shocking, actually, that the quality was so bad in every single area.  I can't even interject any humor or smileys anywhere but it's just not funny that a game could be this ....... bad.

Oh, the music was nice.

No.  Just ...... no.

http://www.bigfishgames.com/download-games/28212/reveries-soul-collector-survey/index.html

November 23, 2014 12:52 am  #6

The Emptiness

This is actually a beta game I've been playing for a while now .... in little bits and pieces.  I'm TRULY surprised that the link for it is a BFG link.  I'm equally surprised they would market a game like this.  I find it to be truly out-of-the-box or out-of-the-comfort zone for BFG. 

This is NOT a game that has any humor related to it at all.  NONE.  NADA.  As you read my review, I hope you'll understand why.

Before the game even begins, there is a HUGE DISCLAIMER.  It basically says if you suffer from depression or other nervous conditions, don't play the game.  Everyone else, turn up the volume. 

Maybe it said "mental" conditions.  Could be.  I got into a LOT of trouble when I gave my 2 cents worth about enjoying a game that was so unloved.  It was meant to be a funny comment.  I specifically said I wasn't trying to offend or anger anyone.  Well, someone got REALLY offended and REALLY angry and said a LOT of "things" on a public forum and it just ..... set .... me .... off.  In any case ... back to the game.

The game starts out with lots of flames.  All the time there are lots of flames.  An old woman in black appears .... promising you ..... everything.    Then, her alter-ego appears.  Also, promising you everything .... in different terms.

The graphics are amazing!  A real room with real furniture and what could be a real situation.  The music is suitably depressing and creepy.  All very PERFECT ambiance.  The voice overs were also .... PERFECT.  Perfect tone to be creepy.

There are NO HOGs (hidden object games) or mini games or anything else to make this a "fun" game.  Because, it's not meant to be "fun".  It's meant to be a "horror" game.  It's meant to creep you out, scare the crap out of you and confuse you.  Ready to play?

You get a task.  The first being:  Find the door with the seal.  When you find said door, it takes you right back into the room you started in.  Again, creepy old woman appears with your next task:  Find the spell and bring it to me.  A flaming word appears.  When it stops burning, it appears at the bottom of your screen - gothic type print and all.

There are arrows that you can click on to take you to various parts of the room ... or into another room ... or up stairs.... or anywhere .... except ..... "out".  You "may" get a hint or two in the form of an obscure and random sentence.  "'K'is only a shadow of itself." - not exact, but that sort of thing.  There ARE NOT clues/hints for each letter.  Maybe 3 out of 8/9 letters you need to find.  When you find a letter, it lights up, in flames, then burns out.  When you find all the letters to this "word/spell", you take it to the creepy old woman and get another task.  Want to guess what it is??   Find the door with the seal.  Different door.

To find these letters, you go around the room, moving curtains, looking at things, touching things.  And "things" happen.  A picture goes up in ............... flames.  REAL flames.  A hand jumps out at you.  Like, JUMPS IN YOUR FACE!  A portrait .... well .... I nearly fell off my bed.

The reason I can only play the game in small bits and pieces is because there is a MAJOR glitch/bug in the beta.  The "hints" doesn't work.  This feature is soooo necessary in this game.  It doesn't hold your hand.  It doesn't tell you where to go ("you will find the "O" in the grandfather's clock in the living room on the north wall") - no.  Just 2 or 3 obscure, random sentences that you have to almost "riddle" out.  The rest of the time ... you ... are ..... on ..... your ..... own.

Real people are used.  A real room.  Everything is REAL.  So is the fear and the confusion ... and more fear.  Because you begin to desperately want to get to the next task.....but you don't want to see anything else horrifying or scary or something that will just make you "gasp" from the suddenness and unexpectedness of it.  But.  You WILL want to keep going.

I've played games on BFG that have had disclaimers before and laughed at the obsurdity of it.  NOT this game.  Take the disclaimer seriously.  If you have certain "nervous" or "mental" disorders, this game will definitely get to you.  And, no, it's not like "the room", where you have to get out of a room.  That's fun - all fun and games and done in real life now.  THIS is unique unto itself.

I actually watched the beta walkthrough video on uTube .... several times. So, I know what's coming in my next task.  Already, I'm NOT looking forward to it.  But, it's wired in me.  I HAVE to keep playing.

Yeah.  It's THAT kind of game.

http://www.bigfishgames.com/download-games/27527/the-emptiness-survey/index.html

December 4, 2014 10:58 am  #7

Unrecognized Geniuses:  The Master of Living Things

This is, by far, the strangest game I have ever played.  Yet, the more I played it, the more complicated it seemed.  Perhaps, in its simplicity, chaos was born (hmm - that was "deep" - lol).

I'm not even sure there's a storyline.  A group of friends are gathering together for a camping (?) trip.  One comments the trip is needed for another of the friends to get their mind off that person's infertility issues.  Hmmmm.  O-k-aaaaa-y then.  They get lost, take a shortcut through the woods and encounter a strange fog (of course they do.  Isn't there ALWAYS fog?).

The graphics are .... jumbled.  It's as if you're in a landfill of sorts.  You keep coming across mechanical creatures born of bottle caps, springs, and miscellaneous trash-like items. The music sounds distorted.  As if something just isn't "gelling" right.  The whole game has that "feel" to it ..... as though something just was not "gelling" it together.

There are 3 levels of difficulty:  Casual, Advanced and Hard.  There is a journal but it just seems to hold pieces of paper that you find along the way.  No real important clues in the time I played.  There is also a transportable map.  The "hint" button will also transport you.

The HOGs are difficult to play.  The words in the item list are next to impossible to read.  Definitely need darker coloring there.  The items you have to find are located in a jumble of a mess of objects that are mostly muted in coloration. They are strictly list items with some (very little) interaction.  There is an alternate "Spot the Difference" game.  BEWARE:  You have to find a grand total of 24 differences. I played the HOG, then finished up with the Alternative Game - it was still difficult.  The mini games were totally fun!  I enjoyed each and every one of them.  They are varied and range mostly in the easy to slightly difficult category.  None were ridiculously difficult.  A few did take some time and patience.

The hint button recharge time varies (why, I don't know) from "OMG that is FAST!" to "will this hint EVER get finished recharging?"  Also, your hint button is a mechanical dog.  Very cute with lots of personality.  Will applaud when you've done something successfully.  Bend its head in shame (?) when you do something ..... stupid.  It is also your ....... dare I say it?...................... helper.  During the game, you will amass "qualities" of your dog (whose name is "Sunny") so he can help you.  These include lightning - which allows you to break things; a magnet - so you can get things that are generally unreachable.  But, remember, it IS a magnet so you can't use it on paper, etc.; a light bulb - which is your flashlight; and last but not least, a needle and thread - so you can mend and repair.  During the beta game, I FINALLY found one of the items ..... it's use was invaluable!  

Will this be marketed as a CE?  It could, as there is a LOT of CE Bling (extras) such as "Your Room".  LOVE this room!  This is where you can gaze lovingly at your Achievements, play "Spot the Difference" games (not the same ones you played in the game and there are 30 of them!), put jigsaw puzzles together (again, not in the game itself and there are also 30 of them!), a photo album ... but only 1 photo appeared during the entire beta game.  WOW!  Oh, yes.  During the game, you amass toy parts.  Guess what???  When you get all the pieces to a toy, you have to ................................. build it!  And, there are a LOT of toys that need building if "Your Room" is any indication.  I believe I counted a total of 12 but only put one together during the beta.  Another WOW - is THIS an indication of the length of the game?

I have to admit, it took me a while to get into this game.  It is definitely a struggle and I wanted to quit early on.  I'm glad I didn't.  By the end of the beta, I'm not sure I'd say I was hooked, but I was definitely intrigued.  My first impression was .... really??  Shades of Absent-Minded Professor and Flubber.  Except there are no .... humans anywhere.  You "think" there are.  You even ... maybe ..... possibly .... spot the shadow of someone.  But, then it turns out to be .............. nope!  YOU have gotta try this beta to find out! 

I have never played a game quite like this before.  As I said, it left me intrigued.  Wanting more.  WHAT is going on in this little mechanical community?  WHY am I even there???  I think it will have some length to it based on what I found and did during the beta (see paragraph re CE Bling above).  Will it be a purchase for me?  As a CE???  I don't honestly know.  I DO know this.  I can't WAIT until the final demo comes out so I can get a better idea if it's a CE or an SE with a lot of extras, play it again and see how I feel.  If it's an SE, I may use a coupon. 

Also, this beta has been out in the gaming world of limbo for well over a year now.  I hope that doesn't bode unwell for it and it DOES get marketed soon.  I had no glitches or bugs or technical issues.  It was certainly entertaining in that "hmmm" kind of way. 

I can't seem to stop talking about it.  That CLEARLY says something about the game, doesn't it?  Or, it says I've been up all night playing it and writing this too long review. 

Off to bed now.....nite all.

Intrigued enough to play the beta again.  Would probably purchase with a PCC.  An ENTIRE community/world of mechanical beings ..... not a human in sight!!  Or is there???   Yep.  Definitely a PCC worthy game!  I've talked myself into it.

http://www.bigfishgames.com/download-games/25223/unrecognized-geniuses-master-living-survey/index.html

Last edited by freyasmom (December 4, 2014 11:07 am)

December 14, 2014 12:43 am  #8

Redemption Cemetery:  Island of the Lost

Wow!  Wow!  and one more Wow!
  Wow.  Okay.  I think I can STOP being stunned with this game now.  Nope.  Wow.

The storyline starts off basically enough.  You are in a small plane, headed for a storm (of course there's a storm) when out of the clouds, directly in front of you appears......something horrible ..... something ...... evil!  Before you can contact anyone with your coordinates, the plane goes down, on an island ... in a cemetery ..... Redemption Cemetery. 

The graphics are amazing.  For a dark and creepy series of games, this has continued that dark and creepy schematic.  The voiceovers are spot on perfect!  Absolutely perfect!  From the frightened child to the evil creature to the lonely fisherman.  Sound effects ... also spot on PERFECT! 

There are 4 modes of difficulty ranging from casual to hard with custom at the end.  Here's a twist to the old "custom" setting:  If you lower the hint recharge time ... you increase your skip recharge time.  A happy medium?  30 seconds for each ... smack in the middle of the "ruler".  Your also told you can change your difficulty during game play but I was unable to during the beta game.  I had to exit the game and start a new profile.  I hope this gets fixed before the game is marketed.  There was no journal but you did get a transportable map ... which was also very dark and creepy with a sinister looking lone candle marking your objective points.  Yes....I said POINTS!  I LOVE a game that shows more than one objective area at a time.  That's it for ..... things. 

HOGS (hidden object games) were interactive list types.  You could play an alternative ball shooting type game ... but I didn't.  Mini games were new and updated games I'd never seen before.  In fact, I had to skip one that seemed relatively easy but, I guess, the instructions just weren't clear enough for me.  The ratio of HOGs to mini games seemed fairly even. 

Game play:  You meet a spirit who was a fisherman with a family.  One day, his boat capsized .... in a storm (is there a pattern here?).  He made it to this island but could never make it off.  A creature, who lived on the despair of people's souls hunted him .... until .... well, he IS a spirit now.  You continue to meet spirits on this island.  Your ultimate goal is to make it to a lighthouse that you can see in the distance.  But not so fastThis IS a Redemption Cemetery game.  There is another story here that will tear at your heartstrings.  But, I won't give THAT away.  You really need to try this demo and find out. 

While there are no "extras" shown, throughout the game there are clues as to what to expect.  Achievements.  Collectibles?  Not too sure.  There are "elements" of 4 or 5 books that you have to find.  Once all the "elements" of a book are found, you will learn more of the story.  I was confused here, I must admit.  I found all the elements of the first one - there were 3.  I heard more of the story .... sad.  But, there was also a puzzle piece and when I clicked on it, I had to put together a jigsaw puzzle.  Not large, by any means, but definitely not a cakewalk either.  Afterwards, what was the point of this endeavor?????   Don't have a clue.  Hope it's explained in the marketed game. 

I have several games in this series ... unfortunately, not played yet.  I did play the demos and can honestly say, in comparison, this one has set the par waaaay up for the next one.  It's gripping, edge-of-your-seat suspense.  This is one game I will definitely be waiting for. 

Please take a trip to the Island of the Lost and .......

ENJOY!

CANNOT say enough about how much I enjoyed this demo and how engrossed in it I was almost from the very moment it started.  Another one destined to be purchased.  CE or SE .... can't say yet .... but another in my long list of unplayed games.  Sigh. 

December 16, 2014 2:49 am  #9

Just an FYI because I'm miffed and need to share why.

I just played the most AMAZING beta game I've played in a WHILE!  AWESOME!  Lots of emoticons!  TONS of ADJECTIVES and CAPITAL letters.  I got to the very end and ................ POOF!  Gone.

Hope I can do it justice tomorrow because it's 2 am and I'm going to bed.

nite all

Board footera