Finish Your Games Challenge

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 29, 2014 1:28 pm  #791

Re: Antique Road Trip: American Dreamin'

Well, at least Dirk was gracious enough to reply to my messages and we conversed.  I blame myself for not bidding a high amount so that lilyr can get the money and I can get my quest completed.  What made me angry is that I wasted my precious time and not that I didn't get the item.

To tell you the truth, I have millions in gold and coins.  I do not need anything from the auctions.
I learnt a very valuable lesson today.

From now on, I will no longer do the Daily Quests, so I no longer need any help.  Neither will I go into the auctions to put out anything.  I am through with auctions.  I will just play my game and wait for Independence Day quests to start.

Last edited by barregar (June 29, 2014 3:46 pm)

The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?  The Lord is the strength of my life, of whom shall I be afraid?  Psalm 27:1

June 29, 2014 1:43 pm  #792

Dirk has always been a good friend to me, although the only place we chat is in ART.  He lost all his glitch gold and happened to be chatting with me when mine went bye-bye.  Continued to hold my hand, so to speak, while I dealt with the shock.  I know if I ever need something listed and he's playing the game, he'll be there for me.  And vice versa.  Though we both prefer to try and do it without help.

For every minute you are angry, you lose sixity seconds of happiness. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

June 29, 2014 1:46 pm  #793

Somebody bid my Railway Photo up to 20,100.  Keying error?

For every minute you are angry, you lose sixity seconds of happiness. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

June 29, 2014 4:00 pm  #794

barre -- Yes I can tell how pissed you are.  Did it ever occur to you that he needed it for a DQ?  I have nothing but good things to say about him too.  He's helped lots of people in the Forums and lists stuff that other people need for DQs.  Maybe he hadn't been on, logged in, saw the stamp and bid.  If I had known it sold for much mire than I listed it for I would have listed it higher.  Many players will see items with huge buyouts and know they are for DQs.

June 29, 2014 4:39 pm  #795

lilyr -  a ballpark figure for an opening bid would be to figure 750 - 1,000 coins for each mini game resource needed to get an item.  That doesn't apply to things that can be found in HO scenes as well as mini games.

As for the huge buyout amounts, you can't see them once the item is bid upon.  People will need something for many reasons:  DQ's, general auction bidding achievement, completing sets achievements, completing sets for mini game resources, or they enjoy buying and reselling and prefer to get coins that way.  And yes, there are probably a few people out there that enjoy outbidding people for the sake of outbidding people.

June 29, 2014 5:37 pm  #796

lilyr wrote:

barre -- Yes I can tell how pissed you are.  Did it ever occur to you that he needed it for a DQ?  I have nothing but good things to say about him too.  He's helped lots of people in the Forums and lists stuff that other people need for DQs.  Maybe he hadn't been on, logged in, saw the stamp and bid.  If I had known it sold for much mire than I listed it for I would have listed it higher.  Many players will see items with huge buyouts and know they are for DQs.

No, he did not need it for a DQ, he told me so himself.  He just wanted it for his collection.  The stupid is that I was here, staring at the bidding, seeing the countdown go from 3,2,1, and then auction closed.  So when I saw that I had a message, I thought it meant I won the bid but No, I was outbid by Dirk in the dying second.  I don't understand why people take pleasure in outbidding someone right at the last second.  I could never do that and make someone unhappy because I know how it feels.   I wouldn't have the heart to do it.  

I should have bid a much higher price so that you got the coins.  You should have listed it for much higher and I would have paid it, but you have a good heart and you wanted to help me.  Thanks for that.   

The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?  The Lord is the strength of my life, of whom shall I be afraid?  Psalm 27:1

June 29, 2014 6:55 pm  #797

barre, he didn't just want it for his collection.  He wanted to complete a collection and get the mini game resources.  Dirk did go and play the 8 stamp mini game twice to get 2 more Shots of India and put them up for auction so you could try and win one.  But you chose not to try any more.

People who bid at the last minute don't do so because it gives them a thrill to beat somebody.  They do so because they know that's what needs to be done to win an item that's selling way below market value.  I'm not sure how much Dirk overbid you, but I bet he wasn't the only one who tried.  The others, who you'll never know about, just didn't bid as high as Dirk, so you didn't see their names.

People outbid each other all the time.  The auction regulars know it goes with the territory and it's part of the game.  I've outbid Dirk, he's outbid me, we've both outbid mark25, who has outbid both of us, etc. 

The people who outbid you instead of bidding on the other 6 same items listed above and below the one you bid it, THEY are mean.  Ditto the ones who aren't satisfied with 5 of them, they have to have all 6.

We're going to be having auction DQ's for 120 days.  If you want to do the buy and resell thing, lilyr and I will be glad to help you so you don't have to spend a lot of time doing the DQ.

June 29, 2014 7:31 pm  #798

Sorry, I was online the whole 1 hr monitoring my bid and playing the game.  Initially there was a bid of 2000, I countered with 2001, later I thought that was too low so I replaced my own bid, raising it to 2500 to give lilyr more coins.  The item remained at 2500 for the whole duration, no one else bid against me except when Dirk bid at the last second with 2606.  End of story.  

June 29, 2014 7:46 pm  #799

Sorry but I have to say this...if you and Dirk are friends, why would you both outbid one another?  Why would friends do that to each other?  that's not what friends do, we support each other and help each other.  That's what friends are for.

June 29, 2014 7:50 pm  #800

barregar wrote:

Sorry, I was online the whole 1 hr monitoring my bid and playing the game.  Initially there was a bid of 2000, I countered with 2001, later I thought that was too low so I replaced my own bid, raising it to 2500 to give lilyr more coins.  The item remained at 2500 for the whole duration, no one else bid against me except when Dirk bid at the last second with 2606.  End of story.  

In the closing seconds, people could have bid anywhere between your 2500 and Dirk's 2606 and you would not know it.   Let's say I also wanted that item and bid at the same time as Dirk.  I thought 2500 would be a winning bid.  You would not see my bid.  Dirk would not see my bid.  I would get get the bid error message which tells me that there was another bid placed at the same time that was higher than mine. 

I can list a Shot of India for you or I can do the buy and resell.  I can't prevent other people from outbidding you.

Board footera