Finish Your Games Challenge

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 8, 2013 12:14 pm  #161

Re: Neverending Story

"scanning the skies for an escaped phoenix ridden by..."  I looked curiously at George.  "What did you say she was?"
   George,  for some reason,  looked furious.  I suppose this kind of situation would put anyone in a bad mood.  "My beloved,"  he fumed,  is not a  'what!'  Just because she happens to be from another galaxy,  and her coloring is unfamiliar to you people,  and,  yes,  I agree that most people around here don't have tails,  but that doesn't mean..."
    Here Oscar interrupted,  probably just in time.  "Never mind all that!
The fact is,  she's  George's Sweetie Pie,  and we need to get her back!  Let's focus,  people!"  He huffed a little,  then turned to George.
"George,  I don't suppose you have any way of communicating with Petunia?"
      George looked confused,  then  brightened.  "Communicate?  Well,
no;  not unless she thinks to call me on her Smartphone!"
      All heads turned to my nephew--can we really be related?  As one,  we shouted  "What?  You mean...

Humor will glue your fragments into one whole.  ~Osho

November 10, 2013 5:57 pm  #162

all this time all you had to do was ring her?! George shrank back.  "Well, I guess, we could or just track her on the GPS. I just didn't think."  He had the good grace to look a little sheepish.  Shaking her head Minerva turned to Oscar and said, "OK, everyone get

"There is no more perfect stillness than the solitude in the heart of a snowstorm." Diana Gabaldon

November 10, 2013 11:11 pm  #163

"...cracking--we've got a mission,  people!"  She clapped her hands sharply.
    I smiled.  Apparently,  Minerva had decided to help us!
Her tone was authoritative.  "George!"
    "Yes,  Mistress?"  he cringed under her stern gaze.
     The seer made a visible effort to soften her voice.  "George,  you said something about  GPS?"
      "Well,"  he gulped.  "Terran marriage laws are a little restrictive,  so we had a comittment ceremony.  To make it seem more official,  we each had a GPS chip implanted.  See?"  He showed us a little bump under his collarbone.  He looked considerably cheerier.  "We could try the phone first!  I'll go get it!"  He grabbed a vine,  and scrambled up to his treehouse.
    The rest of us looked at each other,  shaking our heads.  "Well!"  I said,  "Who wants to be the one to...

November 18, 2013 11:47 am  #164

tell him he's not coming?  Minerva said, "well we'll tread carefully and let him think that staying behind is just as important.  But I think we all agree that it would be hazardous to take him with us." Everyone nodded.  "Ok, well I think Oscar will be the most tactful." I said. Again everyone nodded. 

Once again Minerva took over and with a clap of her hands said, "Good, that's done. Now let's get on with outfitting the mission! Someone find a grappling hook, some rope, a glass cutter and of course we'll need a

"There is no more perfect stillness than the solitude in the heart of a snowstorm." Diana Gabaldon

November 19, 2013 2:41 am  #165

"...a crowbar and some batteries.  Oscar,  check the storage shed while I finish the list."
   Just then,  George came galumphing back into the clearing,  eyes feverishly bright,  brandishing a cellphone.  "I found it!"  he announced
triumphantly,  "I'm dialling now."  Silence ensued while we all waited breathlessly.  Then George's face seemed to crumple.  "Phooey!  It went to voice mail!"
     "Well,  leave a message!"   I tried not to sound impatient.  "Tell her to call you!"
        "P-petunia?"  George turned away furtively,  but we could still hear his quavering voice.  "Honeybunny?  Um--this is George,  your
Sweet Pumpkin.  Please call me!  I've been so worried about you!  Auntie M.  saw you get carried off by that thing,  and I miss you so much!  Um,,,well,  I guess that's all.  We're going to try to track you!"
    He disconnected,  sniffling only a little.  "George,"  Oscar said kindly,  "It's very important for someone to be here in case Petunia calls,  or comes back,  and I think you're the best man for the job."
    George straightened his shoulders.   "Okay.  What are you guys going to do?"
     "We're going to find her!"  I stated firmly,  "and bring her back to you.  Oscar,  do you have your portable GPS tracker?"
      "Never leave home without it!"  He pulled it from his pocket  and set about twiddling with the controls.  "Ah, yes--here you are,  my pretty..."
Suddenly Oscar's face froze in horror.  "My word!  I know it seems impossible,  but Petunia is...

November 20, 2013 12:50 pm  #166

in another dimension entirely! The GPS is going crazy and indicates she is in the

November 20, 2013 1:50 pm  #167

"...land of the Djinn!  What a coincidence,  I was just there due to that glitch in the portal!  Is it possible we could just step through and bring her back?  Assuming the glitch doesn't throw a crowbar--I mean a monkey-wrench--into our plans."
    George had several emotions struggling for priority on his dear,  lovable,  slightly stupid face.  "What happened,  do you think?  Did the kidnapper take her there?  What is the  'Land of the Djinn,'  anyway?"
    "Of course I don't know what happened,"  I said,  but this is my best guess:  Petunia managed to escape from the space pirate,  as we suspected,  at the same time rescuing the phoenix."
    "Aw,  that would be just like her,"  George put in.  "She's so sweet and kind..."  he paused to wipe away a tear.  "But why didn't she come home?  Why did she go to the Land of the Whatsis?"
     "The Land of the Djinn,"  Oscar interjected,  is,  briefly,  an alternate dimension in which genies and similar creatures live when they're not
playing tricks in bottles,  lamps,  and various other containers."  He paused to clear his throat.  "By the way,  if you should come across one, I'd strongly advise you not to make any wishes.  As for why she went there,  I suspect that's where the phoenix came from,  and she was kind enough to take it home."
    George was all but jumping up and down.  "Oh!  Oh!  Then can we just go there and get her?"
     Oscar smiled reassuringly.  "We'll go,  George.  You still need to be here in case she calls or finds her way back."
     "Oh.  Okay.  Are you going now,  then?"
      "No time like the present!"  Oscar said,  as he,  Minerva,  and I approached the shimmering portal and...

November 20, 2013 4:44 pm  #168

with no small amount of hesitation on my part, stepped thru.

"Be careful of the Djinn," Oscar said.  "They can take on many forms and under no circumstance accept their offer of any wishes."  I nodded.  I looked out over a vast wasteland.  The place seemed deserted.  Then Minerva raised her arm and pointed.  "Look." she said, "there's a

November 21, 2013 7:23 am  #169

"...swirl of sand in the distance;  I think we're about to meet our welcoming committee."
   Sure enough,  as the swirl came closer,  it became a 50-foot sandstorm,  which coalesced into a 20-foot creature.  I glanced up at it with casual interest--okay,  I goggled. 
     A deep voice came from the apparition:  "Um--oh,  sorry!  I didn't mean to scare you!"  The creature shrank to man-size,  and stood before us,  smiling,  his voice now a rich baritone.  He was actually quite beautiful.  His long-lashed,  beef-gravy brown eyes looked up at the sky,  seeming to consult an invisible list.  "Yes,  yes,"  he muttered to himself,  "appear in a non-threatening form,  'cause if you scare them they'll run away..."
      I interrupted his reverie.  "Are you a real genie?"  I blurted. Sure,  he had the turned-up slippers,  the crimson pantaloons,  the turban,  the jewelled vest--but something seemed off.
      He looked offended.  "Well,  yeah!   Still in training,  I must admit.  but  sure!"  He stuck out his broad,  muscular chest;  I guess it had been a long time.  "Sure,  I'm a real genie!  Is that going to be a problem?"  His frown was probably intended to intimidate,  but I thought it was cute.
    I hastened to smile winningly.  "No,  not at all;  I've just never met one,  that's all.  You say you're in training?"
    "Yes;  my assignment today is to greet visitors to our fair land,  and find out what they're up to.  Oh,  I should introduce myself!  My full name would be too hard to pronounce or remember,  but you may call me Morrie."  He offered a deep bow,  flexing his biceps intriguingly.
      "Nice to meet you,  Morrie."  I was determined to hold it together.
"But we actually have a purpose here.  Um...I don't want to make a wish or anything,  but could you help us with...

November 23, 2013 2:00 am  #170

our search?" I rested my hand on his well defined forearm and batted my eyelashes (just a bit) He blushed, he actually blushed and stammered "Well I'd be happy to ma'am."  I sighed, and thought inwardly blech the dreaded ma'am.  But I smiled anyway and gave him the details of who we were searching for and how we thought Petunia and come to be in his homeland.

Morrie thought for a moment, "Ah that may be what we saw coming in thru the West earlier.  Our elders thought it was a meteor, a colourful meteor, but just a meteor.  It must have been her:"

At this Minerva sprang into action.  "Okay everyone let's head out to the west and see if we can spot her, it shouldn't be too difficult" 

As we prepared to set off Morrie cleared his throat and said, "That may be easier said then done.  You see when we spotted the incoming meteor a group was dispatched to the area and if they discovered Petunia they will have

Board footera