Finish Your Games Challenge

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 21, 2013 5:34 pm  #1

Healthy Changes

I struggled over what to call this thread.

I seem to be on a treadmill, but not a calorie burning one when it comes to my weight and I'd like a thread I can check in to and report my progress. And hopefully we can be each others cheerleaders when required.

Now I'll over share.  Eight years ago I had an accident that left me totally laid up for 6 months and now limited in my mobility.  Sometimes a lot sometimes not too bad.  Just prior to my accident I had been diagnosed with a thyroid problem and was just starting meds.  Needless to say I ended up about 80lbs heavier between the 6 months of ignoring that there was some issue as to why I was practically comatose at times and my 6 months of wheelchair and walker.  Finally 4 yrs ago I lost 100lbs.  Yea for me.  I am one of those emotional eaters though, something I struggle with  and I am also pretty lazy, I'll admit that.  I put back on around 30, which I was okay with as I found that weight easier to maintain.  Since my marital problems started a year ago I have once again reached for my fork and have put on some more weight.  On Monday I started a new week and a new outlook.  Doesn't matter how annoyed, happy, sad etc I am going to do my damnedest to stop overeating, to break my bad behaviour habits and get some some sort of exercise in everyday.

So here's to healthy beginnings and staying on track.  Now I'm off to drink some water

Last edited by oscar66 (August 21, 2013 5:35 pm)

"There is no more perfect stillness than the solitude in the heart of a snowstorm." Diana Gabaldon

August 21, 2013 6:22 pm  #2

Re: Healthy Changes

Hi, oscar!  I too have some mobility issues (had polio and it sort of came back) so I've struggled with my weight the last 3 years since I've retired.

Recently I bought some seasons of Biggest Loser - the reality series where fat folks let themselve be tortured physically, mentally and emotionally - well it motivated me to move more and pay more attention to what I eat.  Like using a fork instead of a spoon the size of a shovel, for instance.

Also, since I can't afford a gym membership - probably could easily think up excuses not to go, anyway - I have started to put alot more effort into housework.  Like over cleaning the tile in the shower for the exercise - and the pleasure of looking at it afterwards.  I've never been a big fan of housework but if its exercise without paying for it, then that seems to be OK.

I haven't lost much weight yet but I am stronger so there is the possiblity of losing weight, anyway.

Good luck to us both!!

August 23, 2013 12:03 am  #3

Congrats to both of you!  I've been very lucky -- good genes.  For 30 years i was the same weight.  When i hit 45 I started putting on weight. I never got too heavy, but just enough so clothes didn't fit anymore (and i HATE shopping).  About a year ago I lost some weight and have leveled out where I feel good and my clothes fit!  

oscar -- good for you!  And good for you for going for water!  I used to drink 1 - 1 1/2 liters of Pepsi per day (not the diet stuff).  I finally decided that was a LOT of calories so I stopped drinking it for 6 weeks.  At the end of six weeks I didn't want it any more!   Sometimes if you want to eat (especially emotional eating) having a glass of water will break the desire.

jkuci -- so sorry your polio "came back".  Apparently that happens tio quite a few people.  Remember -- muscle weighs more than fat so all that cleaning is probably doing you good.  Do your clothes seem a bit looser?  Ummmm.... if you run out of things to clean at your house I'll volunteer mine! 

August 23, 2013 12:53 pm  #4

Well muscle doesn't weight more than fat, a pound is a pound whether its feathers or steel.  Muscle works far more efficiently and helps metabolism.  Also much leaner and takes up less space than lumpy old fat.

Thanks lily, it is a lot to do with mindset for me.  I think I read once that it takes 6 days to make a habit and 6 weeks to break one.

"There is no more perfect stillness than the solitude in the heart of a snowstorm." Diana Gabaldon

August 28, 2013 9:34 am  #5

Oscar...It has been a week since your first post.  I just wanted to say for you to keep on being strong on your healthy beginings outlook since enthusiasm starts to diminish after the first week or so.   I least for me it does.

jkuci...You don't need a gym membership.  Every bit of activity one does regularly helps to keep one strong and flexible. Keep up the good work.

lilyr...Lucky you with your good genes. 

i ♥ nirvana

August 28, 2013 4:19 pm  #6

Yup Lilyr is lucky.  I got the sharp end of the stick in that dept. no lean willowy people in my family portraits.  mores the pity.

i haven't been very diligent today.  But I'm down 2 lbs.  and my exciting news is I have a job interview on Tuesday! Lol I'm probably going to have to go out and buy something to wear.

Thanks for the post sun.

August 28, 2013 9:31 pm  #7

oscar -- Great news on both fronts!  I'll be thinking good thoughts about the interview!

August 29, 2013 8:56 am  #8

Good luck on the interview, Oscar.
I've always been a decent size, at the most 20 pounds overweight.  When I got up to that 20 pounds over I finally did something about it.  Now it's creeping back again.  My size 10 jeans are really really tight.  I'm totally happy when I'm a size 8 so I don't have too much to do, but I just can't motivate myself.  The way I lost weight was by weightlifting, but nothing serious, real easy stuff.  That wonderful muscle replacing that nasty fat.  I have a book I love
Jorge Cruise .... 8 Minutes in the Morning. 
It has a lot in it about emotional eating and inspirational stories and mantras.  I ignored all that and just focused on the excersize part.  Each day you do 2 types of excersizes.  Monday is chest and back, Tuesday is abs and shoulders, Wednesday butt and hamstrings, etc.  You do each excersize 12 times and then switch to the other excersize.  Then you go back to the first one.  You do 4 sets of each excersize, so 48 chestlifts and 48 back lifts total on Monday.  That's not too hard, is it?  Then Tuesday it's the same thing but you're exercizing 2 different body parts,  You do that for 6 days then take a day off.  Then when you start the second week Monday is still chest and back but he has 2 different ones than the week before.  It keeps it from being boring and if there's an exercize I don't like I just substitute with one I like better.  Pushups is one of the chest ones, I couldn't do them so I just kept doing the one where you lay down and lift dumbbells up.  Then when I got to pushups again in the second month I could do them!!!! I sat on the floor and cryed cause I was so proud of myself.  I got pretty strong without too much effort, it's a real easy program and it works.  But since my late husband died I just can't seem to be consistant with it.  I'll do it for a few days or a week and then I'm not doing it anymore.  Maybe I'll vacuum the floor, lay down, and start lifting weights!

No matter how much I complain, I'm grateful for all I have.

August 29, 2013 2:53 pm  #9

Oscar...Congratulations to you twice.  Good wishes for you on the job front.

i ♥ nirvana

August 29, 2013 6:51 pm  #10

You ladies are all lovely.  I appreciate the support from you all.

and I'm going to check out that book Wendy.

Board footera