Finish Your Games Challenge

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 21, 2018 9:34 am  #111

Re: Finish your games challenge - 2018

Set Spring Mosaics aside and played Spirit of the Ancient Forest.  It's a Clutter-type game but not nearly as long. Only 91 levels and that includes the slider puzzles and jigsaw puzzles.  It was nice searching for objects radically different from the Clutter games.  The game has a medieval steampunk vibe.

Started Dark City: London Collector's Edition last night.  Really enjoying this game so far (only played the first chapter).  Can't remember the last time I felt enthusiastic about playing a HOPA.

For every minute you are angry, you lose sixity seconds of happiness. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

May 22, 2018 1:06 pm  #112

I enjoyed Dark City: London too.  

I finished House of 1000 Doors: The Palm of Zoroaster CE.  I have 1 more left to do... House of 1000 Doors: Serpent's Flame.

i ♥ nirvana

May 25, 2018 11:54 am  #113

Hi fellow fishies  

And an especially warm welcome to all the new members I've just discovered have joined/posted since I was last here!

​I haven't found the light at the end of the tunnel yet ... but I've found the tunnel!  So things are definitely looking up!

And I've even managed to play/demo some games!

​So, here are a couple of short reviews ... I'll post full reviews, as usual, in my review thread, but I may not get them posted today.  Hopefully I'll be able to post them by the end of the weekend.  I'll see how I go.

​First, today's new Soft Release ...

Eleven Islands 

by Joyful Software  (Denis Konovalov, programming and design, + 2 others)

​Other games by this developer  -  Ice Crystal Adventure  &  Jewel Tree - Match It

​Released  -  25 May 2018  -  by both BFG and GH

Genre  -  M3

​Review after playing 42 of 100 levels with my FunPass (GH released it today, as well).

Recommendation  -  Yes with a PCC or you need to fill a Punch Card ... or if you like fun, easy (if played in Relaxed Mode), M3 games.  Great, fun game with a FunPass!  And only 3 people involved in developing the game - the programmer/designer, 1 person for sound/music, and 1 for artwork.

​It's a fun game but nothing very innovative and, even though every level has a different board and different goals, the gameplay is always the same and so it gets a bit repetitive and monotonous after a while.  But I really liked playing it and I liked the backstory you get about the islanders when you upgrade the islands as you start to restore them after a devastating volcano.

​I didn't find it very difficult and definitely not a very complex M3, as there's just one simple board each level.  However, that being said, when I had to replay one level several times when I kept running out of time and failing the level, I changed to the easiest mode, Relaxed Mode, which is neither timed nor with limited moves.  However, as there's no benefit in playing in either Timed or Limited Moves mode, I stuck with the Relaxed Mode  - which you can change at any time with no penalty, like having to restart from the beginning again.  So you can play in either Timed or Limited Moves mode and then, if you get stuck, switch to the Relaxed Mode for that level, then switch back again if you wish.

​The gameplay is also very simple.  You simply play the level and when you've completed it (in any of the 3 modes) you get 1 star.  You either fail a level or complete it.  If you're successful, you get one star and go on to the next level.  If you fail, you have to keep replaying it until you pass, then you get your star and you continue.  There's no way to replay the levels but there's no need and there's no such thing as getting up to 3 stars.  You use your stars to restore the islands that have been destroyed by the volcano.

What you're doing today is important
because you're exchanging a day of your life for it.

May 25, 2018 4:25 pm  #114

The Witch's Apprentice: A Magical Mishap CE

by  Whalebox Studio  and  Jetdogs Studio  ​(Publisher - Gamigo)

​Other games by this developer (Whalebox):

Alicia Quatermain and the Stone of Fate CE
​Alicia Quatermain: Secrets of the Lost Treasures CE
​Viking Brothers II

​Released  -  GH    -  29 January 2018
​                  -  BFG  -  22 May 2018

Genre  -  TM

​Review after playing 18 of 50 levels with my FunPass.

Challenge  -  I played in Normal Mode and found it quite easy in the beginning, although I did have to replay some of the early levels to get 3 stars - I had to change my strategy and do things and make potions in a different order.  I also replayed a couple of levels to try to get higher on the Leader Board but on some levels I was just grateful to get on the Leader Board!  I think Easy Mode would be easy peasy but I think that Difficult Mode would be OMG!

Recommendation  -  Yes  -  it's a fun, fun TM!

CE versus SE  -  I definitely recommend the SE  -  but I'm glad I can play the CE with my FunPass as I like the extras but I don't know that they're worth paying double for - that's for you to decide.  I'll let you know about the bonus levels once I've finished the game.

CE Extras:

​1.   There's a collectible - a crystal - 1 per level.  As it's clear like a diamond, it's sometimes tricky to find as it takes on the colour of whatever the background is.  Eg, if it's on top of a green flower, it's the same green colour.  The scenes are also very busy, making them harder to find.  You use the crystals to fix the room that Grimelda has destroyed and it's okay but pretty boring as you don't choose anything; you just spend you coins to fix everything.

​2.    3 wallpapers  -  fun and good quality but CE worthy?

​3.    A strategy guide  -  very handy if you don't want to keep replaying a level to get 3 stars, working out different strategies each time until you find the correct one, as it tells you the strategy to use.  Also handy if you can't find one of the crystals.

​4.    Some bonus levels.  There are 50 levels - 10 in each of 5 areas - and I think the first 4 areas (40 levels) would be in the SE and the last area (10 levels) would only be available in the CE.  There are also 4 actual bonus levels - 1 in each of the first 4 areas - but there doesn't seem to be much different between them and the normal levels.  These 4 bonus levels may also be in the SE.

May 25, 2018 4:55 pm  #115

I've only just noticed the Games Series Forum ... yeah, I know, very observant ... 

​and I have a request ...   

​Would it be possible, for those of you who start a game series thread, to let us know if each game follows on from the previous one, that is, if they should be played in order, or if they're all stand-alone games and can be played in any order?

I would be eternally grateful!

May 26, 2018 8:11 am  #116

stusue! Good to see posts from you.. I'm glad you've found the tunnel. Hope you make more progress!   I'd be interested in knowing whether games build or are stand alone too.

May 26, 2018 9:12 am  #117

Finished Dark City: London Collector's Edition.  Really enjoyed that game and I hope there will be another one.

Also finished World's Greatest Places Mosaics and World's Greatest Places Mosaics 2.  Since the BF forums closed down, I'm spending more time playing games and less time talking about them, which is good.

Going to play Labyrinths of the World: Secrets of Easter Island Collector's Edition next.

For every minute you are angry, you lose sixity seconds of happiness. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

May 31, 2018 5:45 am  #118

I have finished:

Dark Romance - Kingdom of Death PE. Fun!
Phantasmat - Town of Lost Hope PE. Very good!!! Better than expected. It felt really creepy and immersive. The Collectibles rather hard to find (good). Fun puzzles.
Whispered Secrets - Everburning Candle PE. Good but I felt a little unpleasant. I liked the puzzles.
Sea of Lies - Beneath The Surface PE. Didn't like it at all 
Love Chronicles - Beyond The Shadows PE. Rather fun.
World's Greatest Places Mosaics 4. Ok
Fear for Sale - The House on Black River PE. Rather fun.
Edge of Reality - Ring of Destiny PE. Fun at first but went downhill. Didn't even bother to play the Bonus Game 
Hidden Expedition - Midgards End PE. Very fun!!! Rather compex and fun puzzles.
World's Greatest Cities Mosaics 5. Fun!

Welcome back Stusue! 

Tirama and Sunshinej, I also enjoyed Dark City very much.

Last edited by Anki (May 31, 2018 5:48 am)

May 31, 2018 6:07 pm  #119

Finished 9 games in May - 5 CE's and 4 SE's - and didn't buy anything.

June 1, 2018 2:19 pm  #120

I finally did it! I finished 2 previously unplayed HOP games! They are ancient -- 2008 and 2010 -- but I played them! They were the two VERONICA RIVERS games. Unfortunately I played the 2nd one first and it would have been better to play them in order.

I also dex'd a game. I had one FLUX FAMILY game left, so I thought I'd play that. It was a constant "use a hint" or "check the walkthrough" -- no fun at all.

And I haven't bought anything since April. 

Board footera