Finish Your Games Challenge

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 24, 2018 9:12 am  #91

Re: Finish your games challenge - 2018

lilyr wrote:

I have lots of games that I've purchased but haven't played as yet. I'm appalled at the number that won't play on any system newer than Win 8. I've got some that won't work on anything newer than Vista!

I transitioned from Win8 to Win10 when I had to get a new laptop.  Clutter VI gave me problems.  It loaded the home screen, but when I clicked on play, nothing happened. 

On both my old and new laptops, I had set the screen resolution to 1920 x 1080 and the scale to 125%.  Works for most games, but on the new laptop, for Clutter VI and the World's Greatest Cities games, I had to change the scale to 100% to get them to work.

Don't know if that could be your problem, but you might want to try changing the settings.  Right click on your desktop, then chose Display Settings.

For every minute you are angry, you lose sixity seconds of happiness. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

April 24, 2018 9:35 pm  #92

lilyr wrote:

I have lots of games that I've purchased but haven't played as yet. I'm appalled at the number that won't play on any system newer than Win 8. I've got some that won't work on anything newer than Vista!

With Vista you should be able to change the compatibility for the game you're trying to play for it to run.

used to be able to change compatibility settings in Vista and Win 7 to something like Win XP service pack 3. As soon as I got a new computer with Win 8.1 I can no longer do that. At least on mine you can't and I suspect on Win 10 too.

After getting a new computer with Win 8.1 and finding out my a lot of my old games won't run on it, I had to load them on my old Win 7 laptop in order to replay them. Some I had to change the compatibility to Win XP for them to run.

Unless there's something I'm missing I have researched hours and could not find out how to change compatibility on the last two Windows versions (8.1 and 10).

When at first you don't succeed.... Try, try, try, and try again.

April 25, 2018 8:22 am  #93

I played Sherlock Holmes VS Arsene Lupin a very long time ago.  Not a pretty sight.  I can't do 360°, makes me nauseous.  Playing in 3rd person view, I had trouble making the characters go where I wanted them to go.  They constantly walked into walls and usually lurched around as if they were drunk.

I'm play the 3 World Riddle games. Played them when I first bought them back in 2011. 

For every minute you are angry, you lose sixity seconds of happiness. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

April 25, 2018 9:49 am  #94

TiramaSue wrote:

I played Sherlock Holmes VS Arsene Lupin a very long time ago.  Not a pretty sight.  I can't do 360°, makes me nauseous.

My first 360 was Mysterious Island. It was a bit of a learning curve to adjust to the movements but I now can handle 360 just fine. Hated them at first. Enjoy them now.

However, Bus Driver sends me to the porcelain god every single time as it literally makes me that dizzy and nauseous. I had to delete it. I never knew a game on a computer can make someone that ill. Shame. I actually liked the mechanics for a little diversion now and then.

When at first you don't succeed.... Try, try, try, and try again.

April 25, 2018 10:52 am  #95

Thanks SilverHawk. I think I've read something about a compatibility mode in Win 10, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to know how to do it. I do know that MCF: DIRE GROVE won't play on anything newer that Win 7 (I think), much to the despair of many people who think that's the best MCF game. Oops! Just checked and it should play on Win 8. But I don't know if 8.1 would work.

Last edited by lilyr (April 25, 2018 10:55 am)

April 26, 2018 11:14 am  #96

lilyr wrote:

Thanks SilverHawk. I think I've read something about a compatibility mode in Win 10, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to know how to do it. I do know that MCF: DIRE GROVE won't play on anything newer that Win 7 (I think), much to the despair of many people who think that's the best MCF game. Oops! Just checked and it should play on Win 8. But I don't know if 8.1 would work.

Thanks for mentioning this.  I just called dibs on my father-in-law's computer.

April 27, 2018 8:39 am  #97

I just have the bonus levels to play in World Riddles: Animals.

I had forgotten just how clunky the older nonogram games were.  The curser is so large and the boxes so small on the larger layouts, so very easy to click the wrong box.  And you have to click every box, even the blank ones.

Like most older games, this one doesn't make it easy for you to exit.  When you've got a layout open, you have to:
click MENU
select EXIT from the pop-up window
select YES from the next pop-up window
click the X in the upper right hand corner of the Continent page
click the X in the upper right hand corner of the Choose a Continent
click EXIT from the opening game page
click EXIT from the pop-up window

April 29, 2018 12:50 pm  #98

Finished World Riddles: Animals and now working on World Riddles: Seven Wonders.

May 1, 2018 4:04 pm  #99

Another month, not much progress.  I finished 5 games in April, 2 CE's and 3 SV's.   But I didn't acquire any new games, so I am making progress.

Finished World Riddles: Seven Wonders and will be starting World Riddles: Secrets of the Ages  tonight or tomorrow.  I'm also still working on Clutter VI: Leigh's Story.

May 2, 2018 1:26 pm  #100

I actually finished a new HOG in April! Okay, it was a Park Ranger, but it counts! I bought 6 SEs (one that I finished) but they were all PCCs, so i didn't spend any "real" money.

Oops! I forgot to add that I am extremely unimpressed with BFG's recent sales. Hoping for a really good one (super sale) for Mother's Day.

Last edited by lilyr (May 2, 2018 5:35 pm)

Board footera