Finish Your Games Challenge

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 13, 2017 3:45 pm  #71

Re: Finish your games challenge - 2017

I finally finished some games this month:  Dark Dimensions: Blade Master Collector's Edition and the infamous Griddlers Victorian Picnic.

Picnic was no picnic.  The music made me jittery, so that got turned off pretty quick.  I found that solving a lot of the grids required a heck of a lot of searching for contradictions to determine which squares to mark off as empty.  I have never used so many hints.

I'm going to work on the Hidden Expedition series next.  And Valentine's Day Griddlers.

For every minute you are angry, you lose sixity seconds of happiness. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

February 13, 2017 5:27 pm  #72

This week's Sneak Peek ...  

BFG Facebook wrote:

Happy Monday!!! Let's take a look at the games coming out this week! Which are you most excited for?

PC/Mac:
Living Legends: Beasts of Bremen CE
Subliminal Realms: Call of Atis CE

iOS:
Endless Fables: The Minotaur's Curse CE
Enigmatis 3 : The Shadow of Karkhala CE

Android:
Living Legends: Bound by Wishes CE. 

Can't wait to try the new Living Legends game!  
Guess who lives less than 40 kms from Bremen????  
Guess whose airport is in Bremen? 
Guess whose nearest main train station is in Bremen?   
Guess who often visits/passes through Bremen? 

What you're doing today is important
because you're exchanging a day of your life for it.

February 14, 2017 4:39 pm  #73

I played the beta of ... Living Legends: Beasts of Bremen CE ... today!  

I really hoped the story was about the Brothers Grimm's fairy tale, the Bremen Town Musicians (German: Die Bremer Stadtmusikanten), which is what Bremen's famous for.  And the fairy tale and the four musicians (a donkey, a dog, a cat and a cockerel) are incorporated perfectly!  I was so happy.

I'm sure some of you know the fairy tale but, for those of you who don't, here's a link where you can read it so that you can get as much out of the game as possible, assuming you get it:

http://www.bremen.de/the-tale-of-the-bremen-town-musicians-9745480

If you look at the link, when you see the four musicians in bronze, I've rubbed the donkey's nose several times, so I've contributed to that shiny tip!

My review of the beta:

Touch  ....  perfect one touch
Icon Changes  ....  none (if you so choose)
BBTs  ....  can choose to turn off in active areas, so some chatter but very little help - perfect!
Plus-Item Indicators  ....  indicated with a simple black circle but can choose to not show when active
Voiceovers  ....  very good
Lip-Syncing  ....  very good
Graphics  ....  beautiful, natural scenes - I loved the underwater scene! - all water great
Animation  ....  a bit blurry/pixelated but very well done
Music  ....  the same music, beautiful, but very little - very quiet game, unfortunately  :o(
Ambient  ....  good - eg. the water flowing in the Weser River (which also passes through us!)
Extra Clicks  ....  very few - a couple of comments and one bird flew away - so not much  :o(
Inventory  ....  objects jump straight in, even from zoom scenes
Conversation  ....  you have to click to forward conversations but not in cutscenes
Tasks  ....  a task box opens in the middle of the screen but closes automatically - after a while  :o(
HOPs  ....  only 2 - easy and easy-medium - but fun - and the first one was a sliding scene  :o)
MGs  ....  6 - very easy to medium - over very quickly so you can get straight back to playing

Collectibles  ....
   -  2 different ones - paper figures and morphing objects
   -  neither difficult to spot (but not huge and in your face)
   -  indicators that you can open to the left show how many are in each scene
   -  both collectibles 'unlock special bonuses' (no idea what they are)
   -  it looks like you can go back to get any you missed as it tells you if you've missed one
   -  the paper figures are people/animals in the fairy tale
   -  the morphing objects can be anything - animals, graffiti, anything - some very subtle
   -  they morph very quickly but it's a long time between morphs - so you have to look!

Achievements  ....
   -  there were no Extras in the beta and even the Extras button was missing
   -  but, once I got an achievement, I clicked and was taken to them
   -  the achievements were 1 of 4 tabs
   -  the other 3 may be the map, etc. - you couldn't click on them
   -  I didn't write down how many but I think there were 3 or 4 pages
   -  each achievement was one of the cute animal dolls in the game
   -  some have 3 levels
   -  about half were earned and the rest were gameplay ones
   -  some aren't that easy to get ...
   -  eg. Solve 14 MGs before the Skip charges without leaving the puzzle
   -  so set the Skip to the longest possible time!!!!  (320 secs)
   -  also, eg. Finish 10 HOPs in less than 3 mins each
   -  and the HOPs are harder than the MGs! - challenging and lots of interactions

My Recommendation  ...  CE! 

Naturally, though, only if the extras are worthwhile, which I'll find out when I demo the game.  It may be a short game, though, as I saved one of the people in the beta, which didn't seem very long, and there are only 4 to save.  There may be more to do after saving them, however.  But for the first time ever I'm not going to worry about the length as it's set in Bremen, was fun, and the fairy tale was so well integrated into the game.

It's rather easy, as is the norm these days, but it was fun!  The graphics and music are really good, the HOPs are different with lots of interactions that aren't that easy, and the two I played were fun!  Plus, one thing that I always love in a game, is when you find all the collectibles for a reason, and in this game there's a reason to collect both!  And the Brothers Grimm's fairy tale was really well integrated, which I was really happy about.  And, given how I live right next door to Bremen, I was really, really happy that I liked the game!

February 15, 2017 9:19 am  #74

Today's TGT  ...  Popper Lands Colony   

by Seven Sails Ltd

I played this a couple of months ago when it was released by GH and I don't normally take notes for M3, TM or popper games, so this review is based on what I can remember, rather than any notes I made.  However, I do remember that I had fun playing this game and it was quite addictive.  It's also on my list of SEs to get when I have PCCs so, even though I've already finished it ... and gotten 3 red stars for each level ... I obviously liked it enough to get it as I obviously thought it was a game I'd replay.

At GH it got 4 reviews - 3 gave it 5 stars and loved it - 1 gave it 1 star, thinking it was repetitive.

PROs:

-  it was fun!
   -  I think there's a story as you build your colony
   -  you can play Timed or Untimed
   -  not super challenging, as far as I can recall, but I had to replay some levels to get 3 red stars
   -  the stars are based on how many shots you take, rather than time, if I remember correctly
   -  all the balls are in a very long 'tube' and you can only see the bottom balls
   -  but it's not just straight lines of balls that fill the 'tube' across the screen
   -  rather the balls are in 'shapes' with lots of open spaces
   -  when you start each level, you see the top of the 'tube' and then the screen moves down
   -  so you can see what you'll face as you make your way up to the top, and some levels are long
   -  you'll not only see the shape or pattern of that level but also what obstacles you'll face
   -  as you clear the balls on the screen the 'tube' moves down
   -  you continue thus until you reach the top and clear all the balls and the crystals there
   -  you can fire your balls up above the balls you can see and sometimes make a match
   -  there are some very fun and different obstacles you have to clear or get past
   -  all the balls are very big and brightly coloured - very easy to see
   -  you get gold coins and you use these to build your colony, which was fun
   -  you're given Objectives, eg. you need to build something for a particular reason
   -  you can view these objectives at any time by clicking on the envelope top-left of the screen
   -  you collect gold and when you've completed one objective you're given another
   -  as far as I can remember, buildings can also be damaged (fire?) and you must fix them
   -  you can choose to show warnings or not
   -  you can replay any level you want
   -  each level shows your Stars, Time, and number of Movements (moves)

CONs:

-  the graphics aren't top notch and aren't HD, which is a pity when looking at the colony
   -  I think I would've liked a bit more challenge, but I can't really remember how difficult it was

Recommendation:   an unqualified YES !

As you can see, the pros far outweigh the cons.  If you like popper games, of which there aren't many, I think you'll like this one.  If you've never tried one, this is a good one to start with!  And it's fun!

It's definitely worth a demo!

February 15, 2017 9:24 pm  #75

Enjoy your game, stusue when it comes out and how exciting that you know the town well.  I remember the fairy tale, but not well.  I just might have to play game to reacquaint myself with it again.

I finished Nancy Drew: Shattered Medallion...It had some humor in it and was pretty good.  It had one tedious puzzle at the end and I had to follow the walkthrough to finish it and it had one timed puzzle, but that one wasn't so bad after doing it a few time to practice. 

i ♥ nirvana

February 16, 2017 12:50 pm  #76

Today's release by GH  ...  

Solitaire Chronicles - Wild Guns

by Big Blue Studios

Genre  ....  golf solitaire with a few different gameplay ideas
Touch  ....  one
Graphics  ....  okay - nothing special - it's a bit hard to see the cards
V/Os  ....  none - you have to read all the conversation
Music  ....  unobtrusive and suits the story ie. the wild west but not annoying
Story  ....  you, a 16yo girl, and a young Indian boy rebuild an abandoned town in a gold rush
Achievements  ....  yes

What's different:

-  10 chapters, each with 10 levels = 100 levels

-  each level has the goal of completing the level with fewer than either 3 of 4 cards remaining
  -  some levels you also have to remove all gold cards, or you have to find a quest object
  -  there's a gang who killed your parents and who rob and shoot everyone
  -  some of the residents who move into town want back things that have been stolen by this gang
  -  these are quests that you get - you have to simply clear these boards to find the articles
  -  but even these quests don't change the gameplay
  -  but so far - I've played 48 of 100 levels - that's it - no other objectives

-  each chapter has a goal - to build one of the buildings
  -  you need enough gold and enough residents to build each building
  -  for every star you earn, one resident moves into town

-  you have the choice to use your gold to either build buildings or to buy powerups
  -  not many powerups - just the usual - remove 1 or 3 cards, more gold, jokers, etc.

-  there are 2 things that can block cards
       -  Royal Locks
             -  each has a number that indicates how many royal cards (J,Q,K) you have to play to unlock
       -  Wooden Shields
             -  you have to uncover axes to break them

-  there are also multiple cards
       -  each has a barrier with a number on it, which shows how many extra cards are on top
       -  eg. if the number is 2, then there are 2 extra cards, so that card has to be played 3 times

-  there are Wild Cards you can purchase
      -  these only show up on the board right at the beginning, when you get them for free

-  there's also an optional M3 game that shows up every now and again - once or twice per chapter (?)
       -  you can choose to either play it to get more money or to continue without playing it
       -  you can earn up to 3 stars, depending on how many points you get
       -  the bigger the matches you make the more points you get
       -  you can replay all levels and the M3 games as many times as you want to get 3 stars
       -  each M3 game is over really quickly - you only have to get the goal, eg. 50 or 80 points

-  there's some info that flashes for a nanosecond between levels - if you blink you'll miss them
       -  and I'm not exaggerating - I've never been able to read more than one word!
       -  I think the info is about card games (?)

-  the tutorial is really minimal - I suggest you read the Help first to find out what everything is!

Recommendation:   Yes

This golf solitaire works like all the other golf solitaire games you've played and loved before, with a story that you've seen before - building a gold rush town - but it does have some things that are different to other similar games - eg. having to play a certain number of royal cards to remove a royal lock, or play certain cards numerous times to remove them.  And, even though there isn't much to differentiate the levels, apart from the different layouts, and the levels certainly aren't very challenging (although I had to play a couple of levels a few times to get 3 stars - played without using any powerups) it's fun and I recommend you at least demo it, if and when BFG releases it.  For anyone with a GH FunPass, I definitely recommend this game!

February 18, 2017 10:46 am  #77

Thanks for the Wild Guns review, Stu. I wasn't going to bother but I've started it now and I'm enjoying it.

I've finished:
Obscure Legends: Curse of the Ring

Valentine’s Day Griddlers 2

Nightmares from the deep: Davy Jones PE

I loved Davy Jones.

February 18, 2017 9:00 pm  #78

Whew, finished another game... Family Tales: The Sisters.  I started it awhile back and played 2-3 games in between and just finished the ending tonight.  This one I lost interest in half way, so I am glad now that it is finished.

i ♥ nirvana

February 19, 2017 5:24 am  #79

I have finished:

Dawn of Hope - Skyline Adventure CE. I really liked the story and it was cool with the settings. Liked the graphics and music as usual. Short, but good!
Labyrinths of the World - Secrets of Easter Island CE. Just OK. Liked it at first but had to stop in the middle and couldn't get back the feeling for it.
Surface - The Noice She Couldn't Make PE (Only had the SE on BFG).Still very good. This is hands down the best of the Surface games!
Labyrinths of the World - Forbidden Music  PE. Fun! Better than Easter Island. This is the one with Harlequin (the barbie-doll). It makes me giggle because I think the devs have more fun with dressing her up and taking photos of her in different locations  than we, customers had (which was not fun at all).
The Far Kingdoms- Forgotten Relics. Very fun Solitare!!!

I was on chapter 6 (the last) in Haunted Hotel - Death Sentence PE, when I got the message that my player profile was corrrupted and I have to restart again   I enjoyed it very much until then...
I let it rest a bit before I try again.

I'm playing Fairytale Griddlers-  Red Riding Hood Secret, a new one from 8floor, but totally different and very good!

Stuesue, your mailbox is full...

February 21, 2017 4:44 pm  #80

FudgeChi wrote:

Thanks for the Wild Guns review, Stu. I wasn't going to bother but I've started it now and I'm enjoying it.  

Hi Fudge!      You're more than welcome!  

I'm glad you're enjoying it, especially as otherwise you wouldn't have even tried it!  

Board footera