Finish Your Games Challenge

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 26, 2017 11:51 am  #41

Re: Finish your games challenge - 2017

oscar66 wrote:

yea for a super sale! finally.

I have only played Alaskan Wild Tirama, and it was fun.  lots to do.  I don't think you need to play them in any order.

Good, because I really want to by some games.  And, if you buy them today, the punch cards earned expire on a Monday.  So no need to wait until tomorrow, not that I'll be immediately starting anything that I buy.

For every minute you are angry, you lose sixity seconds of happiness. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

January 26, 2017 2:02 pm  #42

With the exchange rate the games cost me 5.87 a piece when averaged out, so still a nice deal.  I picked up 12 and used a couple of GCCs for Hangman instead of cash.   I could have picked up about 10 more since I haven't really made a purchase since October.  Still haven't picked up the Christmas games.

"There is no more perfect stillness than the solitude in the heart of a snowstorm." Diana Gabaldon

January 26, 2017 3:50 pm  #43

I got 11 games.  I needed an odd amount to make my punch card work out.  Like you, I could have bought more.  I got:

Mystery Tales: The Hangman Returns Collector's Edition
Labyrinths of the World: Secrets of Easter Island Collector's Edition
Midnight Calling: Valeria Collector's Edition
Haunted Hotel: Silent Waters Collector's Edition
Haunted Hotel: The Thirteenth Collector's Edition
Hidden Expedition: The Lost Paradise Collector's Edition
Mystery Trackers: Paxton Creek Avenger Collector's Edition
Mystery Trackers: Queen of Hearts Collector's Edition
Mystery Trackers: Train to Hellswich Collector's Edition
Sable Maze: Sinister Knowledge Collector's Edition
Vermillion Watch: Fleshbound Collector's Edition

For every minute you are angry, you lose sixity seconds of happiness. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

January 27, 2017 7:53 am  #44

I can't stop griddling and have now finished:

Griddlers: Victorian Picnic
Magic Griddlers 2

January 31, 2017 8:17 am  #45

FudgeChi wrote:

I can't stop griddling and have now finished:

Griddlers: Victorian Picnic
Magic Griddlers 2

Hi Fudge  

I'm sorta slowly ... oh, so slowly ... working my way through Griddlers: Victorian Picnic but only a couple of grids at a time when I'm watching TV. 

I just wondered what you thought of it as it annoys the heck out of me. 

Some grids I don't need a single hint.

But it's not unusual for me to have to use 8, even as many as 12, hints per grid because you can't use logic when there are so few squares to fill in. 

Maybe it's simply because I don't like the game very much and so don't have much patience.

Or am I just stupid?

What you're doing today is important
because you're exchanging a day of your life for it.

January 31, 2017 8:22 am  #46

BFG Facebook wrote:

It's Monday, and that means it's time for the weekly Sneak Peek!
What games will you be playing this week?

PC/Mac:

Grim Tales: Graywitch CE
Edge of Reality 2: Lethal Predictions CE

iOS:

Chimeras: Cursed and Forgotten CE
Witches' Legacy: Awakening Darkness CE

Android:

Sea of Lies: Beneath the Surface CE  

Obviously they forgot one!  

Weather Lord: Graduation CE was released today!  

January 31, 2017 8:55 am  #47

Today's release by GH is stupendous!  

Spellarium

It's another M3 by FRH Games, whose other games are:

Cursed House 1-3
Floria
Laruaville 1-5

IMHO, they're only the best M3 games ever developed!

The blurb ...

GameHouse wrote:

Spellarium is no ordinary game - it's a tale of life and death! The six elements of wizard Eric's world are missing, and it's up to you to collect them to restore the Spellarium, which brings life to his world. Without the Spellarium, the world will continue to decay and die. Do you have what it takes to save a world from destruction? Find out in Spellarium!

• play 100 match 3 levels plus other mini games!
  • save a world from destruction
  • enjoy 3 game modes, Relaxed, Timed, and Limited Moves
  • sharpen your logic skills to solve puzzles and get the coins! 

This one is a cross between Laruaville and Floria, with bombs, rockets, rocks, coins, fire that has to be run from the source to the frozen blocks, etc.

It's also very challenging.  I had to first play a lot of levels to work out how each one worked then, when I replayed them after I'd run out of time, I knew how they worked and so often finished them well within the time.  Sometimes it's tricky to work out what you have to do and in what order in order to complete the level.  And therein lies the fun! 

There's basically no tutorial to speak of but there's a very detailed instruction book if you want to consult that.  Having played all their other games I know how their M3s normally work and, having fun trying to work out each level on my own first, I didn't consult it, but it has about 15 pages of instructions if you want to read it.

It also has a story and you help a world survive and you also rebuild it.  The graphics in the world you rebuild are very basic cartoon graphics but they're cute.  I would have preferred something a little more detailed.  But the actual M3 boards are really bright and colourful with lots going on!

You also get to play - Golf Solitaire - and - Spot the Difference - which are also quite simple, with the same basic graphics as the scene you build, and are over very quickly.  Although a few of the differences in the STDs can be a bit tricky, there's a hint button to help you if you get stuck.  And, as is often the case in STDs, you can choose which bits you prefer to change by clicking on whichever of the 2 pictures you'd prefer.  That is, if you want the bush to be wider, you click on the picture where the bush is missing some branches to make it thicker, like the other one, or vice versa.  I always like that.  These 2 aren't timed and don't seem to have any bearing on your score, just on the story.

Recommendation:    

February 1, 2017 7:22 am  #48

If anyone's interested in today's TGT ...  

Maze Lord

by JetDogs in Helsinki

The blurb ...

BFG wrote:

For ages, the wicked dragon frightened and devastated the vicinity, hiding countless treasures in the serpentine mazes of his dungeon. But now, the dragon has gone too far by abducting a beautiful princess. The realm needs the kind of hero that will challenge the maze head-on and free the defenseless princess from captivity no matter what dangers and monsters wait down in the dragon’s dungeon.

• Unique action/puzzle gameplay
  • Intuitive game mechanics
  • Many interactive objects
  • More than a hundred creative levels
  • Find treasury and visit the Magic Shop 

GameHouse wrote:

Get lost in Maze Lord! For years, the Kingdom's been plagued by an evil dragon - it steals treasures from across the land, and hides them in his dungeon. But this time the fire-breathing evil has gone too far! When the princess gets abducted, a brave hero sets out to save her. Can you help him find his way through the dragon's maze, past wicked magic and monsters? Find your way in Maze Lord today!

• explore the caverns of the dragon's dungeon and save a beautiful princess
  • gather coins and exchange them for priceless artifacts
  • step up your strategies and complete every quest to conquer the fiery fury
  • kill monsters and slay your way through the maze 

I demoed it a few months back when GH released it and wasn't very impressed.  I've just had a ... very ... brief look at it again to remind myself what I didn't like about it.  And it's because I found it frustratingly hard!  I like challenging games but not this sort of challenge.  I only played a few levels and kept on running out of lives and dying and I had to restart the same level over and over and over and once again today over and over again and so gave up in frustration.  The reviewers on GH, though, loved it and gave it 4 and 4.5 stars.

It's a game where you have to get from Point A to the Exit Door, battling knights on the way, picking up hearts (to refill your life as every move takes a heart and you only have 3), and picking up keys to open all the doors.  It's a strategy game but it just wasn't for me as I found it frustrating to have to continually replay a level - and right from the beginning! - to work out the correct strategy.  I may just be stupid but it simply isn't the sort of challenge that appeals to me.  I don't have that sort of patience, where you have to continually try different strategies until you find the one that works.

The game board is very small and the graphics are okay but very simple and cartoonish.  But the animation is good as you battle all the knights (I obviously didn't play long enough to have to battle any dragons).

Recommendation:  Definitely try the demo

It isn't the sort of game I like as I found it too frustrating.  However, people seemed to love it at GH.  So, I definitely recommend the demo as it just may be a game you like.

February 1, 2017 12:39 pm  #49

Hi Stu 

All 8Floor griddlers annoy me BUT I did find the Victorian Picnic one better than most. I kept having to start many of the levels again though because I wanted 3 stars and refused to refill the hints.

I'm on with Thanksgiving Days Griddlers now and that's worse.

Last edited by FudgeChi (February 1, 2017 1:45 pm)

February 1, 2017 3:28 pm  #50

I only finished one game in January -- HOLIDAY MOSAICS: CHRISTMAS.  The good news is that I didn't buy any games in January.

I'm slowly slogging my way through CLUTTER VI.  I think I've decided that I don't particularly like the clutter boards.  I got spoiled with the Sliders and Word Puzzles in CLUTTER V.

Board footera