Finish Your Games Challenge

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 4, 2016 9:37 pm  #21

Re: Finish your games challenge - 2016

I just acquired Whispered Secrets Golden Silence SE with my PCC.   I don't have any of the Whispered Secrets games so I tried the demo for a few minutes and really liked it.  It was on the Games of the Year list.  I think I'm going to dex Haunted Halls Childhood Fears.  I have one more fear and then the Bonus game and I just can't take it anymore.  I did an HO towards the end of the last fear I did and as soon as I came out of the HO it started sparkling again, talk about back-to-back!!!
I finished Laruaville 4 and will acquire it sometime before December next year and play along with the game calendar.  It keeps going after the 25th, but your town is all built and decorated.
You're so good, Stusue, I forget the bonus chapters as soon as I play them.  I was going to write more but I couldn't really remember what all it was about.

No matter how much I complain, I'm grateful for all I have.

January 5, 2016 12:39 pm  #22

Thanks stusue regarding the CE info on the The Last Dream.  I loved the puzzles in this game.  In the main game there was one with traffic signs and you needed to put them just right in a grid so that they all fit.  I worked on that one for 30 minutes and it was always 1 that wouldn't fit.  Then I got a    and was able to put all the pieces in under a minute.  Clever puzzle.

I forgot about using a code to get games half off at Gamehouse.

i ♥ nirvana

January 5, 2016 2:14 pm  #23

oscar66 wrote:

ot topic - Tirama - I love Father Brown.

I finished Mystery Trackers Winterpoint Tradegy.  I won't say too much in case I colour your expectations Tirama as I know you intend to play it soon.  Once thing though, I found the music very intrusive and loud.  And the cursor is a little tetchy.  I also don't think all the achievements register properly so make sure you have the most up to date version in case there were any updates.

I finished Mystery Trackers: Raincliff's Phantoms Collector's Edition.  Ad I got all the achievements, even the dreaded Find 10 objects in 10 seconds!  Can't remember the last time I was able to do that one.

I downloaded Mystery Trackers: Blackrow's Secret Collector's Edition last night.  Hope to play some later today.

I've also been working on Clutter V: Welcome to Clutterville.

For every minute you are angry, you lose sixity seconds of happiness. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

January 5, 2016 2:36 pm  #24

WendyDarling wrote:

I think I'm going to dex Haunted Halls Childhood Fears.  I have one more fear and then the Bonus game and I just can't take it anymore.  I did an HO towards the end of the last fear I did and as soon as I came out of the HO it started sparkling again, talk about back-to-back!!!

You're probably very close to the end.  As I recall, the first two Haunted Halls were very unbalanced.  Took forever to rescue the first person, and the amount you needed to do for each subsequent rescue got less and less.  The last one maybe took 5 minutes?

I never bought any more of the series.  I was fed up with Tim after this game and the villain's tentacles writhing around made my stomach queasy.

Anybody who's played past the first 2:  Can you tell me if the character we play ever wises up and dumps Tim?

For every minute you are angry, you lose sixity seconds of happiness. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

January 5, 2016 4:15 pm  #25

WendyDarling wrote:

You're so good, Stusue, I forget the bonus chapters as soon as I play them.  I was going to write more but I couldn't really remember what all it was about.

Oh, I never even remember the story after I've played a game!  

Unless it's one of my fav games or it's special for some particular reason, and there are only a very few games that I never forget.  One I didn't even like and didn't buy but it's one of the few I always think about.  Weird...

I just make notes as I play each game, so all I had to do was go back to my notes and there was all the info re the bonus chapter ... length, a short description and difficulty of every minigame and HOS, what I thought about it, etc.

It's just lucky that I'm a pedant when it comes to taking notes.

What you're doing today is important
because you're exchanging a day of your life for it.

January 5, 2016 4:24 pm  #26

Well, I love your reviews and now I'm going crazy wondering what game you're referring to.

January 5, 2016 4:27 pm  #27

sunshinej wrote:

Thanks stusue regarding the CE info on the The Last Dream.  I loved the puzzles in this game.  In the main game there was one with traffic signs and you needed to put them just right in a grid so that they all fit.  I worked on that one for 30 minutes and it was always 1 that wouldn't fit.  Then I got a    and was able to put all the pieces in under a minute.  Clever puzzle.

I forgot about using a code to get games half off at Gamehouse.

I loved the puzzles, too!  

The one with the traffic signs - I have NO idea how long I spent on it before I also had a    moment.

I suddenly realised that some pieces fit together with the same signs being on top of each other.  Then it hit me that there were 5 of each sign!  The only problem after that was working out which sign went down the right side to then work to the left to complete it.  So, my difficulty rating was HARD ... but much easier once you'd worked out the system.

January 5, 2016 4:31 pm  #28

WendyDarling wrote:

Well, I love your reviews and now I'm going crazy wondering what game you're referring to.

What game are you going crazy wondering about?  

And thanks!  

Hopefully once everything's settled down I'll be able to start writing my reviews again.  

January 5, 2016 5:11 pm  #29

today's TGT!  Gems of the Aztecs

Before I knew it the demo had run out and I just wanted to keep on playing.  

I might get it next Monday with a PCC.  Or GH is also going to release it in the next 3 weeks, so I could wait until GH releases it then play it using my FunPass and then decide whether it's one I'd love to play again and then get it. 

It's a different M3.  The gameplay is very similar to other M3s - make matches of 3 or more, get bombs if you make matches of 4 or more, clear chains, rocks, drop something to the bottom, etc. (I only got to level 20-something in the demo) - but the boards are very small (so the squares are very big), and it's not timed but rather done with number of moves.  So, you can take as long as you like but you have to complete whatever the goal is for that level (each level has a different goal) within the number of moves for that level (each level has a different number of moves).  For every move that you have left over at the end of the level, that number is counted down one by one as different bombs are added to the board and then they all go off and your score soars. 

If, after all the bombs have gone off, including any you had left over at the end of the level, you reach the 3-star score, you get 3 stars.  You can use them to purchase more blue coins if you wish.  For every 1,000 points you get in each level you get 1 blue coin.  So, if you get 60,490 points for one level, for example, you'll get 60 blue coins.  You can use these blue coins to purchase powerups to use for each level. 

The game starts off really easy and I was finishing with up to 20 moves left and getting over 50,000 points for some levels.  Then suddenly, right before the demo ended, I had to replay a couple of levels because I ran out of moves before I completed the goal(s) for that level (sometimes you have 2 goals), or because I hadn't scored enough points to get 3 stars.

When it starts getting harder you are offered first one, then another extra powerup that are offered at the start of each level.  The first one was to get an extra 5 moves for that level - cost 50 blue coins.  The second was to get an extra 5 bombs for that level - cost I think also 50 blue coins.  The other powerups  (I only got 2 by the end of the demo) are down the side of the screen and I assume can be purchased while you're playing.  The first one of each, when it's introduced, is free.  From then on you have to pay for them.

Each of the levels I played went by pretty fast as they're only small boards (at least in the beginning) and often, if you set off a bomb, suddenly everything explodes as that sets off more bombs and then, before you know it and before the smoke clears (hence you can't see what's going on) the board is finished!  So then, especially, the level seems to go by really fast.

However, it's a very slow game as, at the end of each level, the bombs are added one by one and then they explode in groups of three, but still one by one, so you have to sit patiently in between levels.  So it's not a game you'd want to play if you like quick action in your games.

And there are 120 levels!!!! 

pennmom36 hated it!  Said it was for beginners, was way too slow between levels, also hated the tiles, and just about everything about the game, saying there were much better M3s out there.  However, I've never come across any other M3 like this one (and I love them and so have played any I've come across).  I love the fact that it isn't timed and that the aim is to make matches with the most number of tiles so that you can get as many bombs as possible (there are different ones) and so get a high enough score to get 3 gold stars.  You can take as long as you want to think about any moves to maximise your score.

The only negatives I can think of is that I wish the boards were a bit bigger - but that might happen later as I've only played 20-odd levels out of 120.  Also, the story is lame - pauper wants to marry rich man's daughter and so has to earn gold.  The music is okay but it's not something I'd want to listen to level after level after level.  But I just listen to music from other games through my headset and it's all good.  And it does take a long time between levels, as so much goes on once you've completed a level.  But I'm a patient person so it doesn't bother me.  You can click to skip past the stats for each level but I'm not sure about all the other stuff.

I just can't wait until I can continue!

ETA:  I just checked out the 4 reviews in the game forum rather than just the one on the game page and no one seems to like it!  One bought it and says that it's a "nice little M3".  Oh well, different strokes for different folks, I suppose.  I loved the demo and can't wait to continue.

And I'm not ashamed to admit it!

(That's me ready for battle in case someone wants to mock me...)

Last edited by stusue (January 5, 2016 5:54 pm)

January 5, 2016 7:02 pm  #30

stusue wrote:

WendyDarling wrote:

Oh, I never even remember the story after I've played a game!  

Unless it's one of my fav games or it's special for some particular reason, and there are only a very few games that I never forget.  One I didn't even like and didn't buy but it's one of the few I always think about.  Weird...

I just make notes as I play each game, so all I had to do was go back to my notes and there was all the info re the bonus chapter ... length, a short description and difficulty of every minigame and HOS, what I thought about it, etc.

It's just lucky that I'm a pedant when it comes to taking notes.

That game.
I looked at the pictures of Gems and thought it looked childish, but that doesn't mean anything with M3s.  What I didn't like was the limited moves feature.  Laruaville has that option, too, if you're looking for more games like that.  I haven't tried it that way, it scares me, lol. 

Jeez, I forgot what I came here to say.
I'm playing Whispered Secrets Golden Silence and there was a scene where I encountered the bad guy and he told me he had had enough of me.  So he shot the chandelier above my head so it would crash down on me.  Why wouldn't he just shoot me?  Much bigger target than the chandelier chain.  So anyway, the chandelier crashes down on me and I'm suddenly stuck in a room filled with water.  Huh?  There was no kind of water anywhere in the game to this point..... It's only a game, Wendy, it's only a game......

Oh, and I was the same way with the traffic sign puzzle.

Last edited by WendyDarling (January 5, 2016 7:34 pm)

Board footera