Finish Your Games Challenge

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 1, 2016 5:18 pm  #1021

Re: Finish your games challenge - 2016

sunshinej wrote:

stusue...After playing both demos,  I like the Forgotten Places: Regained Castle one a little bit better and going to go with that one.  Thanks for the recommendations and I will keep the other one in mind for the future.

stusue...I have been playing The Agency of Anomalies: Cinderstone Orphanage off and on since it took awhile to get into it and thought of you when the BBT gave too much help.  For example...there is a ice pick stuck in the wood and the BBT said I will need some oil to get this out  or there was a empty bird feeder and the BBT said I think I saw some crackers in the pantry.  I know how you hate that stuff.

I second the game Fudge just played... Graven: The Purple Moon Prophecy.  A really good game and I had trouble finding all the mistletoe too.

Sun   

I'd written a nice long reply but, before I could submit it, my computer froze and I had to restart, losing everything I'd written.

So here's the short and - hopefully - sweet version as it's too late and I'm too tired to remember the long version...

I sure hope you like Forgotten Places: Regained Castle!

A few other games you might like to check out, if you haven't already.  The numbers after the games are the review numbers in my review thread.

Secret Bunker USSR  (3)  by QuickClick
Dreamscapes: The Sandman  (12)  by Shaman Games
Black Rainbow  (16)  by Cateia Games
Origins: Elders of Time  (20)  by BlooBuzz
The Other Side: Tower of Souls  (27)  by Tiki's Lab
Spear of Destiny: Final Journey  by BraveGiant Studio

There are another couple of games but one I have to check out first and the other I have to remember the name first.

ETA:  I've just remembered the game whose name I couldn't remember ... and no wonder I couldn't remember it!  What a name!  Aspectus: Rinascimento Chronicles by DGform (an Italian developer and this appears to be their only game - but they seem to be releasing an arcade game soon - a long time between their first 2 games!)  This was released in 2012 and quickly glancing through the reviews I found 2 who liked it and many, many who didn't.  LOL.  I loved it!  As far as I can remember it's a straight adventure game, set in the Netherlands in 1520, and I loved it.  It's one of the few games I've always remembered ... except the name, and you can't blame me for that.  But it's definitely one I'd recommend you try.  It's very different and most people hated it, but it's worth a demo because it may just be one you like.  Definitely story driven, as far as I remember.  But I think what most people hated about the game, apart from it not having the same glitzy quality of the big name games, is that there's no skip for the minigames and people simply didn't understand what they had to do as the puzzles are different but, according to the reviews, there are only 3 repeating puzzles, which I can't remember.  Anyway, doesn't cost you anything to demo!

As for Graven: The Purple Moon Prophecy, if you and Fudge both really like it then I'm sure I will, too.  I'm downloading it as we speak!  Of course I own it but haven't played it yet!

And yes, I really do hate it when BBTs not only tell you what you need to do, but what you need to do it and where you can find it!  Takes all the fun out of it!

But what I'm finding now is that what I really hate, even more than BBTs that give TMI (as some of them just state the obvious without giving you any info, like just saying that the door is locked, which isn't too bad), is when plus items are indicated, even if they're not shown when they're active.  I find that that's the thing I hate the most (apart from games that don't support touch and so I have to use the mouse and you can't turn off the contextual pointers - I can't even play those games!).

Last edited by stusue (November 1, 2016 6:09 pm)

What you're doing today is important
because you're exchanging a day of your life for it.

November 1, 2016 5:22 pm  #1022

FudgeChi wrote:

Hi Stu

I just played and finish Cursed today. The graphics are great and the story too. It was really short for me though and I didn't want it to end.

I didn't play it yesterday as I was finishing Graven: The Purple Moon Prophecy which I started on Sunday. LOVED it in fact I used a credit to buy it because it will take me several plays to find all the mistletoe! Pretty long game too, if it had had a bonus chapter it could have been a good CE. No need for a bonus chapter though and it does have achievements too.

Hi Fudge  

Yeah, I was really sorry when Cursed ended.  I wanted more, too!  

Have you finished Graven: The Purple Moon Prophecy?  I've just downloaded it so I'll see if I like it as much as you and Sun did.

November 1, 2016 6:43 pm  #1023

I played a lot of games in October, but only one was new --COUNTRY TALES.  It was an okay TM/Builder.  I bought 6 CEs (since the weekend code still worked on Monday and it was BPM) and one SE.  One of the DDs was VIKING SAGA.  I downloaded it and played some of the demo.  Then I wondered if NORTHERN TALES was from the same developers.  It was, but I like that series much better.  They seem to have come out at the same time, too.  At least the first games.  Then I got on a NORTHERN TALES kick and have been replaying those games.  And, of course, I played SPOOKY BONUS.  I love that game.  I played it three times -- once relaxed and the other two times timed.

ETA:  I bought another SE:  Halloween Patchworks Trick or Treat.  It's a mosaic game.  I played Patchworks 2 Alice and liked it.  I;m not liking this as much because it has a lot more pieces per scene and some of them are reall small.  Just looking at the piece you never know the size until you pick it up.  And sometimes it doesn't go where you think it will.  Then you get an error and can't get 3 gold.

Last edited by lilyr (November 1, 2016 10:33 pm)

November 2, 2016 6:30 am  #1024

Hi Stu

Yes, I finished Graven: The Purple Moon Prophecy but I haven't played it again yet because I've been waylaid by World Mosaics 8. It's taken me awhile as I want to be perfect on all levels. I thnk I have about 20 more levels to go.

November 3, 2016 11:01 am  #1025

stusue wrote:

So here's the short and - hopefully - sweet version as it's too late and I'm too tired to remember the long version...

I sure hope you like Forgotten Places: Regained Castle!

A few other games you might like to check out, if you haven't already.  The numbers after the games are the review numbers in my review thread.

Secret Bunker USSR  (3)  by QuickClick
Dreamscapes: The Sandman  (12)  by Shaman Games
Black Rainbow  (16)  by Cateia Games
Origins: Elders of Time  (20)  by BlooBuzz
The Other Side: Tower of Souls  (27)  by Tiki's Lab
Spear of Destiny: Final Journey  by BraveGiant Studio

There are another couple of games but one I have to check out first and the other I have to remember the name first.

ETA:  I've just remembered the game whose name I couldn't remember ... and no wonder I couldn't remember it!  What a name!  Aspectus: Rinascimento Chronicles by DGform (an Italian developer and this appears to be their only game - but they seem to be releasing an arcade game soon - a long time between their first 2 games!)  This was released in 2012 and quickly glancing through the reviews I found 2 who liked it and many, many who didn't.  LOL.  I loved it!  As far as I can remember it's a straight adventure game, set in the Netherlands in 1520, and I loved it.  It's one of the few games I've always remembered ... except the name, and you can't blame me for that.  But it's definitely one I'd recommend you try.  It's very different and most people hated it, but it's worth a demo because it may just be one you like.  Definitely story driven, as far as I remember.  But I think what most people hated about the game, apart from it not having the same glitzy quality of the big name games, is that there's no skip for the minigames and people simply didn't understand what they had to do as the puzzles are different but, according to the reviews, there are only 3 repeating puzzles, which I can't remember.  Anyway, doesn't cost you anything to demo!

Stusue...Wow!  Thanks for the recommendations.  I think I have a few of them too.  Black Rainbow and  Secret Bunker USSR as yet unplayed.  For the others I will check out your reviews.  First I heard of Aspectus: Rinascimento Chronicles...Whew, what a name.  Will check it out at BF.  Like you said it doesn't cost anything to demo.

i ♥ nirvana

November 6, 2016 5:43 am  #1026

I have finished:
Crime Secrets -Crimson Lily. Very fun. Really enjoyed it!
1 Penguin 100 Cases. Rather fun. Short.
Alicia Griffith- Lakeside Murder. Very fun, but hard. Loved the music. Fun puzzles Got all achievements 
Strangestone. Also very good, but a very sudden ending. A very short cut scene... Fun puzzles, very tiny objects in the HOS.
Royal Trouble- Honeymoon Havoc. Very fun!!! Finished in one sitting.
World Mosaics 8.Fiction Fixers. Fun. Rather hard on later levels.
Fantasy Mosaics 18 -  Explore New Colors. Very fun. A bit harder than usual, but in a good way.
Cursed .Very good!!! Loved it! Liked the music.

I dexed Age of Heroes after about 50 levels. Boring...

I remember that I liked Aspectus very much, but got stuck at some place and had to check a walkthrough.

Last edited by Anki (November 6, 2016 5:43 am)

November 6, 2016 11:26 am  #1027

Thanks, Anki I thought I'd try 1 Penguin 100 Cases today and I've just finished it and had a lot of fun!!!

Also finished, like Anki

World Mosaics 8 :Fiction Fixers I'd forgotten how much I love World Mosaics. Loved it.
Fantasy Mosaics 18:  Explore New Colors Seemed like a walk in the park after World Mosaics!

November 7, 2016 3:58 pm  #1028

Sun, another one for you ...

Elly Cooper and the City of Antiquity  by  Sobai Games

I played the PE at GH but the only extra thing you get is the bonus chapter, so the SE is still good.  And, if I remember correctly, you still get to play Yahtzee in Extras, and you still have the collectibles and achievements.

Once again, a game that wasn't appreciated at BFG but that I loved.  It's different, not your usual HOPA, and challenging, especially as I played with touch and so no contextual pointers.  You have to slide things out of the way or over to climb up on them and I sometimes forgot and when I got totally stuck and checked the SG I realised that I'd missed one of those times.

The gameplay is challenging and not linear.  There are also multi-level inventory puzzles when you may have to go back to finish when you find what you need to complete the job.  The collectibles aren't easy to spot and the BBTs don't give you TMI - eg. one comment was "Curious", so not TMI.  The journal contains good info and you need to check it for some puzzles.  It also gives you the story, so you can remember what's going on, which is one thing I really, really love in games as I find they have more depth that way.  It also gives you more info about things you find - eg. people you see and inventory items.  And the MGs aren't easy as you don't get too many instructions.  You're told what to do but not why or how to do it, ie. no clues as to what you actually have to do.  I played this last year so I can't remember an example of what I mean, but I think it was like you're told you have to get rid of all the blue balls but you're not told how to do that, you're not told how the game works.

Some things I jotted down that I loved - the attention to detail, the sliding/rolling things in some scenes, the projection room and the rise and fall of the city, all the riddles and puzzle clues, having to use the journal for MG clues.

Anyway, I loved it and loved how different it was.  It's a game I definitely recommend that you demo, if you haven't already.  As far as I can remember it's definitely story driven as you get the story in the journal and you get some more info that you don't get in the game - so read it often!   Especially as that's where clues go that you need in the MGs.

November 7, 2016 4:26 pm  #1029

Time for your Monday sneak peek!  

Here are all the games scheduled to be released this week!  

Mobile:

Cadenza: Havana Nights Collector's Edition
Dark Parables: Goldilocks and the Fallen Star Collector's Edition
Sea of Lies: Tides of Treachery Collector's Edition

PC/MAC:    3 HOPAs !!!!

Puppet Show 10: Bloody Rose Collector's Edition  by  ERS

Beta Link  -  http://www.bigfishgames.com/games/12025/puppetshow-bloody-rosie-survey/

Shrouded Tales: The Shadow Menace Collector's Edition  by  Friendly Cactus Games

Beta Link  -  http://www.bigfishgames.com/games/14180/shrouded-tales-the-shadow-menace-survey/

Whispered Secrets: Song of Sorrow Collector's Edition  by  GrandMA Studios

Beta Link  -  http://www.bigfishgames.com/games/12018/whispered-secrets-song-of-sorrow-survey/

November 8, 2016 10:42 am  #1030

I've been playing the second Tears of the Fallen but I'm going to dex it.  I loved the first one.  This one has too many little things that irritate me.  It loads very slowly.  There is nothing to do and then a random HO shows up, I hate random HOs.  Parts of the game use the circle, where you have to find the items and put them in the circle.  Usually I like that kind of gameplay but in this game it doesn't show or tell you what is needed.  It showed me a stick and told me I needed it to be sticky and gave me 3 circles but no clue as to what goes in there.  So you kind of just have to try everything you have just in case.  The stick needed honey, a rag, and a string, so not too bad, but others you just don't know what is needed. It has collectibles but they aren't in every scene, I hate that.  Don't want to spend 15 minutes looking for something that isn't there.  I'm a good ways into it and the story just isn't going anywhere, either.  Guess I'll have to check out Cursed.  My subscription runs out Dec. 18th, I don't know if I'll have enough extra cash to renew it this year, if not I own plenty enough games to keep me busy until spring when I'm working again.  And there's always demos and Free to Plays.  

No matter how much I complain, I'm grateful for all I have.

Board footera