Finish Your Games Challenge

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 27, 2015 2:26 pm  #31

Re: Comments on Awakening Kingdom: Berengaria's Story

Hmmmm....I just never thought of squabitts as the size of a large dog.  Maybe a cocker spaniel.  Maybe the picture of Mr. Vanderkins on Quinn's head was when he was a kitt (or cub or whatever baby squabitts are called).  Thanks, again, for all the backstory details.  It sure makes AK a much richer game.

June 27, 2015 3:07 pm  #32

lilyr wrote:

Hmmmm....I just never thought of squabitts as the size of a large dog.  Maybe a cocker spaniel.  Maybe the picture of Mr. Vanderkins on Quinn's head was when he was a kitt (or cub or whatever baby squabitts are called).  Thanks, again, for all the backstory details.  It sure makes AK a much richer game.

I don't think we can trust what Sophia says.  Sophia was on the Wingferry with Seth and Ria when Mr Vanderkins was sitting on Quinn's head. 

This is her journal entry:I’ve revived a boy who’d been looking for his pet squabbit, Mr Vanderkins, when the basilisk struck. It turns out even after 100 years, Mr Vanderkins still loves the little boy, despite being the size of a large dog now.

Greg sent (or was planning to send) some soldiers to the Dreamless Castle when Sophia came of age (which was when she woke up), but they never got there because Dreadmyre and the basilisk attacked. So Mr Vanderkins wasn't waiting for 100 years for Quinn to find him.  That would mean it took SOphia 100 years to travel from teh Dreamless Castle to teh Skyward Castle.

Sophia is not a reliable source of information.

For every minute you are angry, you lose sixity seconds of happiness. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

July 2, 2015 8:39 pm  #33

Part 15

We'll never get to see the gorgeous view from the castle balcony she said wistfully.

I remember Prince Edric.  Rather a twit, wasn't he?

It's interesting to see Greg protective and confused and solicitous.  Left his cloak by mistake, huh?

July 2, 2015 10:33 pm  #34

lilyr wrote:

Part 15

We'll never get to see the gorgeous view from the castle balcony she said wistfully.

I remember Prince Edric.  Rather a twit, wasn't he?

It's interesting to see Greg protective and confused and solicitous.  Left his cloak by mistake, huh?

We won't get to see it, but once the staitcase is repaired there's no reason to assume that B & G can't go up there.

Prince Edric is rather vague and very preoccupied with his wardrobe.

So you think Greg deliberately left his cloak behind?  Now why would he do that?

For every minute you are angry, you lose sixity seconds of happiness. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

July 3, 2015 9:14 pm  #35

Part 16

Quinn does have a soft heart, doesn't he?  B sure is ripping right through those relic pieces.   Ummmm....  How does dispelling the curse from Faire of Light speed up B's garden?  Doesn't she live in Landsong Village?   Oops! Never mind.  I just reread that passage again. Poor Greg.  He has to ride herd on a bunch of unruly soldiers, maintain the safety of the kingdom and its inhabitants, finds time to make (what sounds like) a sizeable garden for B and all she can think about is one lousy lobster? 

July 6, 2015 10:38 pm  #36

Part 17

Nothing wrong with a calm day with no emergencies.  And B got a lot done.

So does Greg owe B two lobsters?  I guess she forgot to thank him for the garden when she saw him.  Hmmm... multi-talented our Grteg -- soldier, commander of men, gardener, carpenter..... Wonder what else he has up his sleeve?

July 7, 2015 3:48 pm  #37

Greg is not just a pretty face. 

B gets befuddled when Greg is nice to her.  She so wants him to like her, but because of his behavior after he rescued her from the cursed pond, she's afraid of being hurt by him and ending up like her mother.

She gave him the lobster as a way of saying thanks and to stop him from getting angry.  so she can't expect him to give her 2 lobsters.

July 7, 2015 9:29 pm  #38

I was kidding about the lobsters.  I wonder if she'll even get the 1 back.  Yeah.  After growing up as Dreadmyre's granddaughter I'd be a bit apprehensive about whether people REALLY liked me.  And "not just a pretty face" not withstanding, I'm sure Greg's looks aren't hurting anything! 

July 8, 2015 9:35 pm  #39

Part 18

B sure does get flustered when Greg is around.  Or she thinks of him.  "We need to talk".  Ummm... Teaching archery wasn't exactly what I thought Greg had in mind.  I'm glad B held on to her lobster!  Come to think of it, I know peopke can buy salmon sandwiches but I;ve never seen salmon -- the occasional catfish.  People can also buy ham but I don't remember seeing any pigs.  The same for roast beef -- where are the cows?

B's catching on pretty fast to all the various residents.

July 10, 2015 11:49 am  #40

B is 18 and Greg is the first handsome young man she's met.  She's been taught not to give in to a man's desires unless ther's a wedding ring on her finger, but nobody told her that she'd also be having desires.

Greg, meanwhile, is 25.  He's reached the age where he wants to settle down with "The One".  He's finally admitted to himself that his heart was not broken by Sophia's preference for Captain Jack.  It was 'only' his pride that was hurt.  He's quite ambitious, so if Sophia had shown an interest in him, he would have married her and made her a dutiful husband even though she wasn't "The One".

He realized that B IS "The One" when he rescued her from the cursed pond.  But he's horrified by that realization.  She's Dreadmyre's granddaughter!  He has no idea why Sophia released B from her exile. 

Was it to right an injustice?  Or was it to test the loyalty of the those chosen to advise B?  Are his feelings for her strong enough to risk jeopardizing his career? 

He has another problem.  If he wants to court her, from whom does he seek permission?  He can't send Linea with a letter to Sophia asking her to put in a good word on his behalf with Dreadmyre teh next time she attempts to kill him.

Every time he gets up the courage to speak to B to determine whether she's interested in being courted by him, he chickens out.  But he was quite clever in offering those archery lessons.  They get to be together and have physical contact without him needing to commit himself yet.

Board footera