Finish Your Games Challenge

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 13, 2015 4:38 pm  #11

Re: Comments about Awakening Kingdoms - Berengaria and the Captain

In Berengaria's eyes, she's gone from being the most eligible woman in the kingdom (except for Queen Sophia) to being the daughter of the most hated man (except for Dreadmyre).  Meanwhile Greg has been elevated to most eligble man.

In Greg's eyes, she's gone from being the damsel in distress that he couldn't rescue years ago to a woman that refused to allow him to rescue her.

For every minute you are angry, you lose sixity seconds of happiness. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

March 14, 2015 6:14 pm  #12

Poor B!  Having to eat all that lobster.   I don't even remember the Eye Key.  Good for B for wanting to pay off her father's debts.  I can't imagine why Captain Greg said she didn't have to.  Digging the garden was the least he could do after ripping her up one side and down the other.

March 14, 2015 9:23 pm  #13

lilyr wrote:

Poor B!  Having to eat all that lobster.   I don't even remember the Eye Key.  Good for B for wanting to pay off her father's debts.  I can't imagine why Captain Greg said she didn't have to.  Digging the garden was the least he could do after ripping her up one side and down the other.

Greg doesn't think B should have to pay off the debts because she's a woman.  He was shocked to discover 5 years ago that B had cast him in the role of her knight in shining armor. but flattered, and impulsively offered to marry her.  In that way he would be fulfilling her fantasy and he would be a hero.

Time passes.  They both have life changing experiences.  She goes from being rich and having all decisions being made by others to being poor and having to make decisions for not only herself but for others.   He's fought in a war, stood on the balcony with Queen Sophia and been cheered by the people.

They've both had a lot of responsibility dumped on them because they refuse to be victims of their fate (he seized command of the army rather than sit back and wait to be slaughtered, she decided to right the wrongs her father did rather than go off to wherever it is this community dumps surplus women - nunnery? - which impressed Sophia resuting in B being appointed Steward).

However, they both insist on seeing each other as they did 5 years ago.  Greg wants to rescue her.  He DID rescue her from the pond and the cloaked man, but in his eyes, she refuses to stay rescued and keeps putting herself in danger.  He's angry at himself for failing and takes his anger out on her. 

He's so wrapped up in wanting to be a hero and rescuing her from evil curses that he fails to see that what she really needs is help coping with the ordinary things that she's never had to do for herself before.  It isn't until he overhears her talking to Lucky that he realizes just how bad off she is.

For every minute you are angry, you lose sixity seconds of happiness. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

March 14, 2015 9:43 pm  #14

I especially like the last two paragraphs of your explanation!

March 15, 2015 1:34 pm  #15

The F2P made a lot more sense to me after I played SKYWARD CASTLE.  I think you and I have the same idea about B.  Is Prince Edric the one who turned out to be a pretty, empty-headed ditz?

March 15, 2015 1:55 pm  #16

Yeah Prince Edric is the long haired blond prince obsessed with his trend setting bag.  I haven't made it to those quests yet.  I'm taking my time so I don't have to cram so much into each day. 

B and G will continue to be star-crossed for a while.  They each feel unworthy of the other and continue to misinterpret each other's actions.

In  addition, 5 years ago, their 'love' was pure and innocent, motivated by a code of chivalry on his part, hero worship on her part.   Now that they're older, hormones are influencing their behavior.

March 16, 2015 9:57 am  #17

I agree with your above comment.

Day 9

Doesn't the handkerchief almost have to be from little Miss Sunstone?  Wouldn't one from Greg's mother be much finer?  I think you said they were noble but fell on hard times/lost their fortune.

Well B certainly gfeels as though no one will marry her because of her father and the fact that she has no dowry.

A carrot might be enough lunch for a squabbit but only an apple for B?  I'm glad she got home for lunch.

Why are you posting these Diary entries at 4 AM?  Are you taking care of yourself?

March 16, 2015 11:42 am  #18

B has no way of knowing what's  happened in Greg's life during the 5 years she was gone.  Are his parents still alive?  Did their economic situation deteriorate further?  Are they still annoyed at their son for wanting to marry her?  Did the kingdom have problems obtaining textiles?

Greg isn't about to suggest that they pick up a couple of Moon Rock shooters and go somewhere quiet and spend some time filling each other in on what's been happening  the past 5 years.

B gets her info about what has happened in his life from Blessilda, and Greg has to make do with eavesdropping on her conversations with her squabbit. 

He was absolutely stunned to learn that she is literally living hand to mouth.  And the gift she gives him drives home to him just how much she has lost, reinforcing his feelings of unworthiness.  How can he ever hope to get all that back for her?  It doesn't occur to him to wonder if she wants it all back, that she would be happy with less.

Like I said, they are star-crossed.

March 16, 2015 1:56 pm  #19

Star-crossed makes for some interesting reading though! 

March 17, 2015 11:10 pm  #20

Loved Day 10 -- especially the last lines!   I'm surprised that B can analyze and strategize that well.  Draw, sure.  That's one of the things ladies learned.  

Board footera