Finish Your Games Challenge

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 26, 2016 5:42 pm  #931

Re: The Chat Lounge

My cousin was in Hawaii for vacation/birthday so I've been seeing pictures of her and Tee on my Facebook all week, I'm so jealous.  It's been in the 40s/50s around here.  The house has baseboard electric heat, it's not very warm.  I'm used to living in a trailer with a forced air furnace where the fan blows hot air through the ducts and the house warms up fast.  I've quit turning our heat down overnight because it takes forever for it to warm back up again.  Our room is extra cold but my body temperature seems higher since menopause, I get cold, cover up, and 2 minutes later I'm so hot I'm out of the covers and taking my clothes off, lol.  
   Sorry to hear about your son's cancer, Tee, praying for him.

No matter how much I complain, I'm grateful for all I have.

November 28, 2016 10:47 am  #932

Tee should be back from Hawaii.  Hope she had a good time and that the news about her son is good.

Just about all of us, it seems, have reached the age where most of our news is unhappy news.  I so understand what you are going through, Oscar.  My father-in-law did not adjust well to living in the nursing home.  Although they had many activities for the residents, he refused to participate and kept to his room. 

Would your father maybe enjoy looking at old family photos?  Perhaps a photo album would keep him entertained.

My DH was home on vacation for Thanksgiving week, which is when we put up all the Christmas decorations.  We got that done, but we're still slogging away looking through all the papers my father-in-law held on to.  It boggles my mind that we've only gone through half of them.  There's still a  4-drawer file cabinet and 2 large cardboard boxes to be looked at.

I though DH would be going into the hospital this month.  His MDS is under control, but his PTH levels were high in Sep and rose higher in Oct, so he had to see an endocrinologist.  We had made an appointment to see a surgeon, but 2 days before the appointment, another blood test revealed that the levels had dropped significantly, so the endocrinologist wants to wait another month to see whether they drop again.

For every minute you are angry, you lose sixity seconds of happiness. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

November 28, 2016 3:07 pm  #933

That's good about your hubby.  Hopefully everything will stay on an even keel.

I managed to get my decorations from my outbuilding in to the house on the weekend so I'm ready to go.  I wanted to get them in before any snow that my trusty wagon couldn't get thru.  Although knock on wood all looks well.

Unfortunately T, my Dad rips everything up so you can't really give him anything that you want to preserve. Although it is a good idea and I think I will have a chat with my mom.  They have a digital frame that he loved to watch that my brother loaded with hundreds of photos.  She could put that away from his reach. He has periods of great agitation where he throws things, food whatever and dumps drinks out along with ripping things.  Personally I think it is utter frustration on his part. Someone mentioned books on tape but the problem with that is the paranoia he sometime has and you're not sure how it could affect him.  I still think he should have a tv but my mom says that can upset him as well.  He tends to watch things and then think it happened to him. Although just sitcking it on the cooking channel should be ok.  Apparently, mom just told me this yesterday.  He should be in a different unit.  One that is for folks waiting for nursing home placements.  They go and eat in a dining room together and have activities.  Plus he is not getting the physio he needs.  And to top it off my mom is paying nursing home rates to the hospital to keep him there.  That kicked in after his health was cleared.

Last edited by oscar66 (November 28, 2016 3:09 pm)

"There is no more perfect stillness than the solitude in the heart of a snowstorm." Diana Gabaldon

November 28, 2016 3:51 pm  #934

Oscar - we tried the digital photo frame, but my father-in-law kept fiddling with the controls and then calling us up to come fix it.

Behavioral issues are part of the disease.  And, oh yeah, the paranoia.  We got phone calls informing us that somebody was trying to kill him. 

For every minute you are angry, you lose sixity seconds of happiness. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

December 2, 2016 12:25 pm  #935

Sorry guys, so late to be posting about my trip to Hawaii.  Got home late Thanksgiving afternoon and week has seemed very disorganized.   I LOVED MAUI!!!!  Such a beautiful place and so many things to do.  There were 10 of us total (5 friends from HS) but my room mates were 3 ladies I'd never met before but now I have 3 new friends.  All 10 of us went on a snorkeling trip that was so much fun.  The boat captain took us into a small bay and there were so many dolphins.  I was recording and all you could hear was my voice saying "Oh my gosh, Oh my goodness" as they were everywhere.  I guessed probably around 100 and he said "you're probably right".  Got a still pic of eight in a row, coming out of the water together.  First time I had snorkeled since the 80's.  Felt so light in the water and saw two turtles below me and an eel at the second location.  There was a tall pinnacle of coral coming up that was fun to swim around.  The captain fixed us a lunch of pulled pork, chicken, hot dogs and salads plus Mai Tai's.

We went to a luau on Saturday night that was wonderful, lots of beautiful costumes and interesting food.  On Sunday night, we took a sunset dinner cruise that was nice; it was a little overcast and was afraid we wouldn't see the sunset but all of a sudden, the clouds broke and we got some beautiful pictures of a gorgeous sunset.  Did a little shopping for grandkids and just chilled on Monday.  My room mates took a day trip called The Road to Hana but it was rainy on that side of the island.  Three girls got up at 4am and went to the top of a volcano to see the sun rise and then rode bikes down the volcano (not for me!).  On Tuesday, five of us took a helicopter ride (first time for me) over part of the island, saw beautiful scenery in and around the volcanoes and lots of waterfalls.  On Wednesday, my roommates and I drove an hour to the Kula Botanical Gardens which were beautiful, even in November.  On the way back, we stopped at a restaurant called Leoda's which my niece told me had the best Macadamia nut pie.  It was a small round little pie ($8.50) but omg, so rich and delicious.

We ate lots of good food, some fairly reasonable, and made some wonderful memories.  One of my best friends went to the Maui Invitational Tournament where our state team, Oklahoma State University, came in third.  That was the main reason she mentioned the trip and now we have told her, she has to let us know every year where the team may be playing in a tournament this time of year.  I didn't care for the long plane rides as the seats were cramped and uncomfortable.  We were rerouted on the trip there as our plane was going to have a 4 hr layover in Houston and that would affect our connection in Honolulu so they re-routed us to Denver, San Francisco and then straight to Maui but never lost my luggage, thank goodness.  On the last leg into Maui, the people sitting next to me mentioned that the husband was a statistician for the tournament and had been coming to Maui for 22 years.  They had a 3 page list of restaurants, activities and misc. info. they had prepared for the daughter of a friend who was going to honeymoon there.  The man realized he had it on his laptop and could print a copy at the hotel so they game the list to me and it really helped deciding where to go to eat and things to see besides what we had already planned.  I have tons on pictures that I needed to load on my computer and load into albums on FB so will post a few here when I get that done, hopefully this weekend.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7

December 2, 2016 12:32 pm  #936

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7

December 2, 2016 2:27 pm  #937

I'm so glad you had such a great trip Tee!  

December 23, 2016 4:13 pm  #938

I want to wish everyone a MERRY CHRISTMAS & a HAPPY NEW YEAR!

December 23, 2016 4:14 pm  #939

Or whatever you celebrate at this time of year.   

December 24, 2016 4:42 am  #940

Merry Christmas! 

i ♥ nirvana

Board footera