Finish Your Games Challenge

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 16, 2016 4:19 pm  #921

Re: The Chat Lounge

I  am so happy for you tee!  I've been wondering about the trip to Hawaii.  Have a wonderful time.

Good news and bad news about your son though.  I'm very glad he has a job and is in a Sober Living Home and has been sober.  And, he's no longer in your home. I'm sorry about the diagnosis of cancer.  Hope they got it early enough that the doctors can do some good.  I'll pray for him.

Right now we have snow in our forecast for Monday, so Hawaii sounds especially good!   Enjoy every minute.  You deserve it!

November 16, 2016 4:22 pm  #922

Tee, I'm sorry you've been having such a tough time with your eldest son.  

And it seems like he's got a tough road ahead.  I wish him all the best as he deals with cancer and hope he does well in the Sober Living Home.  Can you let us know how he gets on?

But at least it seems like you're finally going to have a ball for the next week!  

It sounds wonderful!  I was in Honolulu many, many, many, many, many, many ... you get the idea ... years ago.  I was there when I was 18 with my mum and we had so much fun.  We were only there for a few days, though, on our way back from America and so didn't get to any of the other islands, which I wished we'd been able to do.

What you're doing today is important
because you're exchanging a day of your life for it.

November 16, 2016 4:59 pm  #923

lilyr wrote:

Yikes stusue! We had our first measurable snow a week or two ago, but it didn't last.  I'm glad we haven't had more because we really have a lot of leaves on the trees.  Snow plus lots of leaves usually means power outages.  Not for me because our lines are underground.  Can you close some heat vents in rooms you don't use (or almost close them) so you aren't heating empty space?  I don't have my heat very high, 16 Celsius,but I'm comfortable.

ETA:Oops!  Thast was supposed to be 18C

Lily, my heat is set to 14C (the coldest possible), although I only have the heating on for a couple of hours early in the morning and then another few hours at night.  In between it's been around 13C in my house, which is beautifully warm for me (I have a major problem with heat but none with cold), although it'll get a lot colder inside without any heating in winter when it gets really cold and below zero outside, down to around 8C (I know this for a fact as my burner broke a few years ago and I had to go without any heating for 2 weeks in the middle of a snowy winter until I got a new one).  When it gets that cold I'll generally have the heating on for longer during the day, although it's always off at night (unless it turns itself on to stop the pipes from freezing).

As for closing vents, well, we don't have vents here, at least I've never come across any anywhere I've been in Europe.  We just have hot water pipes going through all the walls (and floors if you have underfloor heating) and then have a heater (with hot water) under each window and on each landing, although I never have any of the ones on the landings on to conserve energy as they're in open areas.  It's just always not super warm going up the stairs and up in the attic, which is also open, but definitely not uncomfortable for me.

My house is beautifully warm for me - well, not going up and down the stairs but in all the rooms it's beautiful and warm - but no one ever visits me in winter as they find my house too cold and can't even take their coats off (although I always turn the heating up when I have visitors).  But in Germany (and France) everyone has their heating set to at least 25C so that they can just wear shorts and T-shirts around home.  I just wear warm clothing with a jumper and warm dressing gown when it's really cold and I'm as warm as toast.  Maybe with a throw rug over my legs when it's 20 below and snowing!  I can't believe people spend so much money on heating (and it's really expensive here), just so they don't have to wear any winter clothes!  I can't visit anyone and I have a major problem eating out as the heat - but especially the stuffiness with everything closed up - makes me really sick.  I also always need a window open in whatever room I'm in, no matter how cold it is outside, even when I sleep.  So I stay at home mostly in winter and don't have any visitors. LOL.

November 16, 2016 5:07 pm  #924

sunshinej wrote:

Snow already.    Yikes!  What a contrast to the gorgeous weather I'm getting.  Was in the 60's yesterday so husband & I went for a long walk(4 miles and legs are sore today).  Took a jacket with me and halfway through felt like I was melting, so carried the jacket the rest of the way. 

Fall foliage was magnificent this year and seemed later than usual for the peak time.  Usually it is early October and this year was around Halloween.  Mid October we went took a ride to  the mountains and it wasn't quite the peak of colorfulness yet.

stusue...Vents are looking clean as a whistle.  I love using that little steam cleaner.  Fun to use and makes yucky jobs much easier.

Sun, lucky you!  We've had hardly any colour here!  

I have a flaming amber and normally it goes really bright red and then the leaves fall off.  But this year a few of the leaves at the top have turned ever so slightly red and a few of the lower leaves have gone slightly yellow, but that's about it.  Even the vine that covers the front and some of the sides of the house didn't turn all red this year.  Some of the leaves turned their usual bright red but some just fell off when they were still green.  I'm holding out hope that the flaming amber will still turn bright, flaming red, but as almost all the leaves on everything else have already fallen I'm not so sure this year.

But hey, you wanna come over with your handy dandy little steam cleaner and show me how it works?  I've got lots of things you could demonstrate it on!

November 17, 2016 5:23 am  #925

Thanks for the well wishes and just waiting to call Uber to take me to the airport, decided cheaper than leaving in long-term parking.  I didn't leave much room in my suitcase to bring back T-shirts for the grandkids but will smush it all in.

Took my son to first meeting with PT to go over exercises to do to keep throat and tongue limber as radiation may cause scarring in back of throat and make it hard to eat.  She was a nice young girl who was very thorough.  I took him to work and on the way home he called to tell me Dr. had called with results of PET scan ~ it was where they thought it was and just a little in a lymph node.  Today he has his appt. with Radiation Oncology and I hate that I'm going to miss it since it's the most important one.  His dad is taking him and doubt he will go in as they are headed to a neighboring town to watch his half-brother coach a girls' basketball team.  Really burns me up that this is not more important but that's why we divorced umpteen years ago.....being a basketball coach, that was always his priority and it was always about him.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7

November 21, 2016 10:31 am  #926

Enjoy your trip Tee and I hope your son receives some positive news.

The weather here is a big snafu.  It was 18C on Thursday. An absolutely gorgeous day.  The Sunday -3C! lol a little blowing snow and windy as all get out.  The power kept going on and off. I put my gas fireplace on and turned the furnace off.  Last storm the on/off blew my switch on the furnace so I didn't want that to happen again.  Stusue that is even too cold for my Canadian blood.  More a problem of my hands get cold and don't function.  Even when I'm on the computer a long time I have to wear a glove on my mouse hand, it turns in to an icicle.

I haven't been playing too much lately either.  I seem to be exhausted at night.  I dealt with an audit at work til the beginning of Nov so that was a lot of work.  All I seem to be doing is working.  My one job I go in for 3 hours two mornings a week but it seems to take the whole day if that makes sense and then home to another job.  Plus I'm trying to do something for a friend that is going to take me about 36 hours to complete and another 7 yrs of taxes to do for someone else.  I'm also trying to get out to see my parents but that is proving difficult.  The trip is four hours round trip, you stay for 2-3 hours and come back.  It's exhausting.  I can't leave Eddie along for more than 8, not cause he'll be bad I just think it's hard on him to be alone for that long. I went last week to see my parents and picked my sister up on the way.  My dad went into the hospital about a month ago and he is going to transition from there to a long term care facility.  It has become too much for my mom to have him at home.  It is sad to see him like this. He gets quite emotional and leaving him was hard, especially when he asks am I coming with you. I feel like he must be bored shitless sitting there but he can't read anymore and mom says he doesn't watch the tv so she didn't pay for it.  I'm hoping he moves to a home soon and maybe can have some more comforts but for now this is the best place for him, lots of round the clock care.

Last edited by oscar66 (November 21, 2016 10:32 am)

"There is no more perfect stillness than the solitude in the heart of a snowstorm." Diana Gabaldon

November 22, 2016 4:23 pm  #927

stusue --  I couldn't handle 25C.  I don't like it that hot in the summer!  If it's really windy (like it has been Sunday and Monday) I'll put the heat up one more degree.  I have quite warm winter clothes and I'm comfortable.  Your house would be a little too cold for me.  Especially with a window open.   I really want to get most of my windows replaced with more energy efficient windows, but that is a large expense.  I am definitely going to get more insulation in the attic next year.  That will help both with heating and cooling.  My ex keeps his house around 14C.  He has a boiler with steam heat (old house).  When I was in Berlin with my one cousin she had borrowed an apartment for her cousin and me to use.  We both had to turn the heat down (in October).  I like it cool when I sleep, so I turn the heat down to 14C.  Since we had such a dry summer I was surprised that we got some lovely colors.

I sure hope Tee has a wonderful time in Hawaii.  Her son is in my prayers.

oscar -- We had a record high on Friday -- 18C.  Then Sunday and Monday it was -3, but the windchill made it seem much colder.  We had very strong wind gusts from the north.  It's still cold today but the wind is back to a normal breeze.

You certainly have a lot on your plate!  I'm so sorry about your father.  You said he doesn't read anymore. Would he listen to audio books? If he's hard of hearing that might not work though.

November 23, 2016 4:18 pm  #928

Thanks Lily.  My dad has Alzehmeirs (sp) and he just doesn't absorb too much anymore.  He wouldn't be able to wear headphones and I'm not sure he would understand that it was a book being read to him and not something else and become frightened or paranoid about it.  I know mom does read to him from what ever she has on the go when she's there.  Xmas is the big discussion right now.  We'd all like him there but personally I think it might be too upsetting and overwhelming for him.  He has been asking mom lately when he's going home.  Unfortunately real home is not the home he is thinking of.  He talks a lot about his boyhood home. Such a sad disease. Sadder still when I see him peeking thru the cracks and you know he knows his mind is disappearing.  lol, when my sis and I were there he seemed cold so I was helping him on with his sweater and he said "the wardens keep it cold in these cells"  which is so my dad making a joke about the circumstances.  A sad joke but he's trying to lighten things up.

Your weather sounds just like ours.  I can't recall where you live but it is one of the more northern states no?  I do keep the house at 68 (20C) daytime if I'm here and 64(18 overnight)  but my bedrooms which are a ways from the living room where the thermostat is are cooler which makes for nice sleeping temp.  I'm lucky that I have 3 sets of sliding glass doors to the back yard all facing south and a huge south facing living room window, so lots of sun, helps keep the gas bill down.

"There is no more perfect stillness than the solitude in the heart of a snowstorm." Diana Gabaldon

November 23, 2016 5:22 pm  #929

{{{oscar& family}}}  Alzheimer's is a horrible disease -- especially when the person with it knows that he or she is losing their mind.  And it is so hard on the family.  I think you're right about Christmas.  Could a few of you go to him on Christmas Eve or Boxing Day?

I live in New York state.  Just on the southern shore of Lake Ontario.  I have sliding glass doors on the east of the living room.  Both the living room and dining room face south and get a lot of sun.  It's nice i9n the winter.

November 23, 2016 11:41 pm  #930

We would definitely go see him on Christmas, I know I would and my brother.  My mom goes twice a day to sit and have lunch and supper with him.  I think she is actually running herself a little ragged.
Ah New York.  Well, my cousin who is really my exs cousins just got their permanent residence status and the first thing they did was drive to the border to go do a little shopping in Buffalo, lol.  They did get turned back as they were lacking some stamp or other.  So next time, I'll drive her and the baby and we'll meet for coffee! ;)

Board footera