Finish Your Games Challenge

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 24, 2017 9:40 am  #991

Re: The Chat Lounge

sunshinej -- I have used the baking soda and white vinegar to keep drains clean. That works pretty well. I've also used baking soda and a bit of dish soap and water on low heat to get rid of burned on stuff in pans. Our store sells some greener cleaning products.  I know there are tons of things a person can clean with white vinegar. I'd like to try more green cleaning, but right now I'm focused on decluttering and recycling.

May 24, 2017 12:01 pm  #992

I used some spray to get rid of soap scum recently. It was in a well ventilated room and  I tried not to breathe it in, even so I started coughing a lot.  That is what got me thinking about green cleaning.  I also recently read a article that said lung cancer was the #1 cancer in the world.  Maybe it is not all from smoking or second hand smoke, but maybe it is from chemicals that get breathed in from cleaners.  I don't know, but could be. 

lilyr...I'll have to try that baking soda & white vinegar for my bathroom sink drain.  It always drains so slow.  I am also thinking of buying stainless steel cookware and replacing my non-stick cookware, so the burnt on food one will be good to use also.

i ♥ nirvana

May 24, 2017 3:26 pm  #993

One of the biggest reasons that lead was removed from gasoline in the US was toddlers walking on the streets past idling cars. They were at an almost perfect height to be breathing in the exhaust. Lung cancer in undeveloped countries could be due to open fires (dung, wood, coal) or cooking on stoves that use these. I'm not sure if black lung is technically cancer, but it affects coal miners and can severely damage their lungs.

For the drains:  If you can remove the stopper, do. My sink takes about 1/3 cup of baking soda. Pour an equal (or slightly larger) amount of white vinegar in. Let it bubble. When it's finished pour boiling water in the sink. It's supposed to be 2 quarts, but I just use however much my teakettle holds. Then run hot water for several minutes. Depending on how badly clogged the drains are, you might have to repeat the whole thing again. I do this once a month and my drains run very freely.

I have stainless steel pots and pans. But I DO have a non-stick fry pan and a non-stick pot.  I don't use them all that often and I'm careful not to get them super hot. I also get rid of them when I notice the first signs that coating is disintegrating.  I read something that said you shouldn't microwave with plastic wrap on the dish -- even if it says it's microwave safe. Since I read that I've used a dampened paper towel to cover what I put in my microwave.

May 24, 2017 7:37 pm  #994

Sun, I clean my tub, surround and shower doors with baking soda and baking soda only on a damp sponge.  Works great.  You have to rinse well but it's the only thing I've used for years.

"There is no more perfect stillness than the solitude in the heart of a snowstorm." Diana Gabaldon

May 24, 2017 10:29 pm  #995

That's good to know oscar. I'll have to try that.

On another note -- Hope you got to see the 3 hour SURVIVOR finale. Very interesting!

May 25, 2017 9:18 am  #996

I went to do the drain thing last night and realized I was out of vinegar.  I used up the last of it at Easter making beets & eggs.  Need to pick some up this weekend.

Oscar...That sounds simple enough.  I can do that with no problem.

Has anyone tried using vinegar in the washing machine as a fabric softener?  My machine has its own cup for fabric softener, which I don't like to use because of the strong smell.  I thought vinegar might be nice instead...more natural and cheaper, but don't know how it would be with the clothes. 

i ♥ nirvana

May 25, 2017 1:39 pm  #997

I actually bought cleaning vinegar the other day.  A little higher potency. I've never used in the washer though.  I only use fabric softener in the warm months when I'm hanging on the line.
 Baking soda takes off any soap residue and water spots so easily.  Always sparkly and fresh after.

**Saw it Lily and I was happy Sarah one.  I would have been okay with Brad too although he got a little cocky in the end.  And what the heck was up with that reunion look for Brad?  I likened him to a 70s gym teacher, all he needed was the pocket protector.  He looked a little ridiculous.

"There is no more perfect stillness than the solitude in the heart of a snowstorm." Diana Gabaldon

June 19, 2017 10:05 am  #998

lilyr...I did use the baking soda and vinegar on the sink.  Works like a dream now.

i ♥ nirvana

June 19, 2017 5:22 pm  #999

I'm glad it worked for you. I'm a firm believer -- especially since they aren't chemicals.

June 21, 2017 11:33 am  #1000

Hi, fellow fishies, I'm baaaa-aaaaack!  

My big sis and BIL finally left a couple of weeks ago and I'm finally back on my feet! 

Super crash once they'd left, only managing to drag myself out of bed around lunchtime then spending the arvo lying in front of the TV, barely managing to drag myself downstairs for food and drink.  The last few days I've been spending longer and longer sitting up, trying to get back into my games.  I'm still not up to doing much of anything else ... you should see the piles of washing down in the laundry! ... but I did finally manage to put the dishwasher on yesterday and hopefully I'll be able to unload it tomorrow.  But today I've been up since breakfast and haven't lain down once!  Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!  I've even finished a game ... a great game!  Woo Hoo!!!!

Now I've got 5 weeks to get ready for my other sis to get here ... and she'll be here for 3 months!

But that isn't too bad as she has a lot of health issues herself and so doesn't mind hanging around home a lot and, unlike my big sis and BIL, won't be trying to force me to leave at 8 am every morning!

So, I'm back and have a few reviews to type up.  I'll try and get them done asap.

But what's been happening while I haven't been here?  What have you all been up to?

What you're doing today is important
because you're exchanging a day of your life for it.

Board footera