Finish Your Games Challenge

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 15, 2013 11:05 pm  #1

Sneak Peek Betas (Possible Spoilers)

I thought I would start a thread for beta games that we have tried.  We can put our comments here and those who do not wish to read them don't have to, which is why I put the Spoiler words in the topic.

I will copy and paste the beta comments that I made earlier into this thread.

The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?  The Lord is the strength of my life, of whom shall I be afraid?  Psalm 27:1

August 15, 2013 11:08 pm  #2

Re: Sneak Peek Betas (Possible Spoilers)

I just wanted to mention 2 games that I betaed recently.

Greed: The Mad Scientist  (Elefun games)
I think it will be a CE because there were collectibles, /50 of radioactive items and /20 of Award items.  It's about a scientist that got killed, you are the detective on the case. It is set in a laboratory and surroundings, there is a map but it looks like a blueprint of the place, they don't even show where you are located on the map.  The hint looks like the head of the detective (something like the Angelica Weaver game)...it takes over 1 min to recharge and I didn't like that. Graphics are crisp and clear, I played till demo timed out. will most probably buy it.

Charles Dickens: A Christmas Carol  (Elephant Games)
This didn't look like a CE because there were no collectibles/achievements/strategy guide, unless they don't put them in their betas.  Music and graphics similar to their last Christmas game, Nutcracker. Story is of course about Scrooge.  You have a helper  (tiny Scrooge). I have to say I was not overly impressed.  I might just get the SE, will have to see.

The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?  The Lord is the strength of my life, of whom shall I be afraid?  Psalm 27:1

August 15, 2013 11:47 pm  #3

Oh, I just figured how to copy/paste here!!!  Its that little clipboard icon right on the cute little message tool header.

Anyhoo, these are the games I've beta played toninght and they were very polished.  I think Sable Maze had most entertaining puzzle/hidden object games but Royal Dectective wins hands down in the graphics department.

All of them can be played quite successfully as SEs: without any Guide.  The hints in all of them were EXTRA helpful.

Sadly, I'm not tempted to buy any of them as a CE anytime soon because I require a good story and none of them did that for me.

Although, the Dana Knightbridge was the best story and the beta purposely ended just as it seemed she was going to be caught vandalizing a hotel.

Daily Magic Games
Sable Maze: Norwich Cave

Elephant Games
Royal Detective: Queen of Shadows

Boomzap Entertaiment
Death at Cape Porto: A Dana Knightstone Novel

Last edited by jkuci (August 15, 2013 11:48 pm)

August 16, 2013 1:30 am  #4

I did the beta on Greed: The Mad Scientist tonight and enjoyed it.  I agree with what barregar wrote re the achievements and graphics.  I skipped a couple of the puzzles as it was late but would probably spend time on them if I owned it.  Pretty easy for me to follow, didn't feel like I would get stumped too bad.

Will do my other beta tomorrow ~ Beyond the Unknown: The Golden Sarcophagus!

Also, set up a folder for the betas I DL from Pond Family - really want to do the Madame Fate one.
Don't know why I'm going to try them all, seeing as how I want to cancel.

I did read on a thread somewhere that one person was going to sign back up if they ever had another GCC 1/2 price sale, buy max, buy all the CE's they wanted and then cancel.  That's not a bad idea and I might do the same ~ get the cr's, do the beta surveys and make a list of ones I might want, and then hold on to them for only BOGO CE sales in the future (like Tirama).  I guess if you recancelled you would have to use them within the 6-mo period but that would be doable, I think, with the amount of CE's that are released.  Something to think about in case I start having buyer' withdrawals.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7

August 16, 2013 3:08 am  #5

I just finished:
Maria Glorum Games
Mystery of the Ancients: Three Guardians

It was really good gameplay, excellent voice overs, top-notch graphics.  Again, though, it really didn't need a Guide.  The hints worked great so, I don't see ever buying the CE. 

There was a funny little part with a raccoon.  At first you scare him with an animal whistle so he'll drop something you need but when you encounter him again and try the whistle on him, he LAUGHS at you.  

Last edited by jkuci (August 16, 2013 3:08 am)

August 16, 2013 10:19 am  #6

jkuci, that part about the racoon is so funny.  

Thanks for your feedback, that sounds like a game I would enjoy.  I liked their first Mystery of the Ancients: Curse of the Black Water (I only got the SE) so I will definitely get this second one

August 16, 2013 10:38 am  #7

hahaha, okay, I made a boo-boo, I wrote Peak when it should be Peek....didn't anybody notice it? 
The whole title is wrong....I cannot use the word Betas...it is incorrect LOL.

I don't know if we can change a thread title once it has been set up??  .....very kind of everyone not to point out my mistake ....I feel like a dumbo. 

Last edited by barregar (August 16, 2013 10:43 am)

August 16, 2013 2:21 pm  #8

Barregar -  We are not text editers or grammar criticss - we're just glad you set up the thread.

Someone wise said "don't sweat the small stuff and its all small stuff"

August 16, 2013 8:10 pm  #9

teeitup46ok
Will do my other beta tomorrow ~ [b wrote:

Beyond the Unknown: The Golden Sarcophagus! [/b]

I did the Golden Sarcophagus (ERS) beta but I wasn't thrilled with it.

It is only the beta so they may fix it up but, it was a very confusing story....things just happening with no particular reason that I could see.

The graphics were good and there was some good voice work at the beginning.  One plus is that you get a dog.  He was pretty close to what my Jack Russell terrier looks like.  That was it.

Didn't much care for it.

August 16, 2013 8:46 pm  #10

I just tried to do the Bad Omen beta but it froze up my computer about 15 minutes into the game.  I don't know who the developer is.

Anyhoo, it was a really scary horror game set in an old abandoned insane asylum.

I know, that's been done before but this game was VERY SCARY.  I think the music helped make it so scary.  The game felt like someone was going to jump out at you and do worse things than murder.

If you like scary games, this is one to look for when they fix it up for release.

Board footera