Finish Your Games Challenge

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 10, 2013 10:51 am  #531

Re: Finish your games challenge

Having finished Green Moon, I'm going to start Hallowed Legends: Ship of Bones Collector's Edition tonight.

Has anybody tried TGT Jane Austen's: Estate of Affairs?

For every minute you are angry, you lose sixity seconds of happiness. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

September 10, 2013 11:16 am  #532

Tirama, I downloaded that Jane Austen game and will try it later.  By the way, if you do try that Fairy Godmother Tycoon and like it, and decide to get it, I hope you will let me know when you are playing it so that I can play at the same time....that way I can get pointers from you when I'm stuck since you are such a good strategist.  It started out easy but got more complicated later on in the game.  However, if you don't like the game, then I'll just have to figure it out by myself. 

The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?  The Lord is the strength of my life, of whom shall I be afraid?  Psalm 27:1

September 10, 2013 11:40 am  #533

I played 15 minutes of the Jane Austen game, and I think I'll get it next Moday.  The scenes when your character speaks to other people aren't all that great graphics-wise, but the rest is very pretty, so far, and I did 2 HO scenes, 1 with silhouettes, 1 with an intereactive list.  It's not programmed to run in widescreen for 1920 x 1080, and I read in the reviews that it looks really awful in stetch screen, so I played it with the black bars down the sides.

I probably won't have time to look at Fairy Godmother Tycoon until Friday at the earliest.  and I need to start thinking about which games to get if there's a CE BOGO this weekend.

For every minute you are angry, you lose sixity seconds of happiness. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

September 10, 2013 12:21 pm  #534

For those who have played Fairy Godmother Tycoon, in the Beantown Village, what does it take to beat the level? It seems to be dragging on for forever.

September 10, 2013 12:41 pm  #535

Noelle - I've enjoyed reading peoples' thoughts on Fairy Godmother Tycoon. I play older games at least as often as newer ones. One of the things that's so great about this thread is that we get to hear and share about whatever people are playing -- sometimes that's something new, which I like so I don't miss a new game that's really good. But older games often get discussed too. It's nice to hear about a game that I've forgotten about or never had a chance to discuss or try out.

The problem with my Game Manager resolved itself when the GM automatically uninstalled and then reinstalled an update. It did it when I was downloading a trial of today's DD.

Anyone opinions on the DD today: Mystika - Between light and shadow?

barre - please feel free to ask me for advice about anything in FGT. I struggled with some towns at first but felt like I had a pretty good hang of it by the end.

misscatlady - I'll get back to you in a bit with some more FGT tips.

September 10, 2013 1:04 pm  #536

Ok, thanks jen

September 10, 2013 2:13 pm  #537

Misscatlady (and anyone else wanting Fairygodmother Tycoon tips)  -

I don't think I really used a different strategy for Beantown or any particular level, just the same general strategy for all levels. For me that included:

Research: I usually set it to 75-100. This way you get a new potion in 8 or 9 days, which will definitely be ahead of your opponents. During the period where you're selling a potion exclusively, whatever price you’d normally use based on the forecast, you can increase by several beans above that just because you're the only store to have the new potion. It does slow down your progress at the beginning of a level, but I found it paid off. All the later potions have a better profit margin (some of them much better) than the initial one.

Supplies: you typically sell somewhere between 0-20 potions, at least in the earlier part of the game. You can easily sell more than 20 later on in the game when the forecast is high, but early on when you have competition and are still building your reputation, that's probably a good guide. When the forecast is 25% or lower, you'll probably sell 6 or less. At 50% you might sell around 8-14. Possibly 15+ at 75%. These are very rough guidelines. How much you sell depends on your reputation, your popularity, and how much advertising you do. Try to have enough ingredients to cover the number of potions you think you'll sell and use the Elephant Drop if you end up selling more than expected. Obviously, buy extra ingredients when they're cheap and you have the money -- I'd even borrow a little to buy extra ingredients if the price was very good.

Pricing: what I did was use the suggested price range as a rough guide for my pricing. For example, the Big Head potion is listed as having a suggested price of 40-70. If you consider that $40 is a good price when there's 0% forecast and $70 when there's 100% forecast, then a reasonable price for a 50% forecast would be $55, halfway between them (and it would be 25%=$47, 75%=$62). I'd make note of these 3 values (for the 25%, 50% and 75% forecasts) and consult them when setting my prices. In reality, I found you can safely set your price several beans higher and not lose any sales because peasants don't like your prices, but I'd use this as a starting point. This method might sound a little complicated, but you only have to do it once for each potion.

Advertising: Do more advertising when the forecast is high and less when it's low. When the forecast is good, I use somewhere in the Night Imps, Brainwashing, or Non-stop Infomercial range, depending on how good. I'd turn it down to around Flying Monkeys when it was low. I learned from reading tips somewhere else that if you don't use any goons, your opponents won't either. What's more, once they've started using goons, they won't stop even if you do. So one strategy is to use only Daily Advertising and no goons throughout the game. I did that for some levels, but I kind of liked using goons, so I did use them on some levels. I tend to like the Town Crier or Pop up Gremlins early on to get my popularity/customer awareness up, then Gorilla Marketer to increase reputation. Persuasion Troll and Giant Baby are also fun.

Loan shark: Don't borrow frivolously, but don't be afraid to go into debt if you know you're going to have a good day and need more ingredients. Sometimes I also borrowed a little to get an upgrade I felt was important for that round. When I had debt, I tried to pay off at lease a little each round whenever possible.

Upgrades: I’d go for the Oh Hush and Flying Elephant spells as early as possible, and the Crystal Ball. I also recommend upgrading your storefront frequently because it's a pretty cheap upgrade and you'll lose fewer of the 'Just Looking' sales. It's not top priority at first, but I like to do at least one upgrade of my potion maker early on, especially if I'm about to have a big day. Entertainment upgrades are expensive. They help customers be more patient. I do at least one upgrade at some point, but it's not a priority until you have enough customers that you start losing them because of the wait. 

Lastly, there is definitely an element of luck. You need for there to be busy days where there's lots of potential for sales when you're in a position to take advantage of it. I had levels where the forecast worked against me and I got into debt and never had the income to get out of it. If you start the level over, you'll have different forecasts and things might go better.

I just checked and it looks like the goal of Beantown is to drive your competitor out of business, but you still have to start the same way, just building up your business. Maybe later on I'd use more goons, like the Welcome Mat and the Siren/Prince. Then they'd counter by hiring goons too and that might make them go out of business faster, but I don't know. I always just focused on increasing my net worth and my popularity and reputation. I'm not sure where you are in the level. If you're doing well and have money to spare, you could start lowering you prices more and more. At some point peasants will start loving you if your prices are really low and they'll recommend you to friends. This would take more customers from your competition and they might go out of business faster. Some levels do just take a while.

Phew - that was really long, but it's a fairly complex game. This doesn't even really cover it all. Feel free to ask about anything more specifically or anything I didn't cover. It was a game I really enjoyed playing and I like to share

September 10, 2013 3:10 pm  #538

Thanks Jen - my competitor still has 11% reputation and is still hanging in there. I guess I just need to work at it more. I'm basically already doing what you suggested. I just couldn't remember what the goal was for that level. is there a list somewhere of all the goals for each level? I wish you could recheck it in game but you can't.

September 10, 2013 3:53 pm  #539

I finished Ashley Clark:Secret of the Ruby.
I really liked it at first but then it faded out and got rather tedious. It was just an OK game, nothing I recommend
Now I´m going back to my Farm Up and Puzzle Quest 2

Last edited by Anki (September 10, 2013 3:54 pm)

September 10, 2013 4:53 pm  #540

Jen, thank you so much for all the tips.  I saved it to a word document and printed it out.
I will finish Green Moon, then tackle Fairy Godmother Tycoon.
If I get stuck, I know who to ask.......glad you remember all the details.

The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?  The Lord is the strength of my life, of whom shall I be afraid?  Psalm 27:1

Board footera