Finish Your Games Challenge

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 8, 2013 7:03 pm  #501

Re: Finish your games challenge

lilyr - I was too. Oh well. Can't win them all I suppose. May try and play a different game later on tonight.

September 8, 2013 10:04 pm  #502

Noelle wrote:

A Gypsy's Tale: The Tower of Secrets...Loved it.  I really wish they'd come out with a sequel.

This is an oldie, but I remember loving it as well.

"There is no more perfect stillness than the solitude in the heart of a snowstorm." Diana Gabaldon

September 8, 2013 10:23 pm  #503

I'm now playing  Mutiny of the Heart,  and enjoying it so far.  I think I must be nearing the end,  so don't know about that yet.  I actually prefer less-difficult puzzles:  they enhance my illusion of intelligence,  and there's a good variety of them.  I like the voice-acting.  Even the
HOG's,  which I usually hate,  are interesting & interactive. If I have trouble with the last few items,  I enjoy the M-3 option.

Humor will glue your fragments into one whole.  ~Osho

September 8, 2013 10:33 pm  #504

I haven't posted much in a while (I've been working a bunch extra and my cat is ill), but I did finish a couple of games.

Fairy Godmother Tycoon
I ended up really enjoying this tycoon sim game. It was a long game, but I enjoyed it (almost) all of the way through.

It's a tycoon game where you buy ingredients and set up your shop to sell potions. You can also purchase different kinds of advertising to try to get people to go to your shop instead of competitors.  Then you let the day start and hope that you make more than you spent on ingredients, ads, research, etc. The goal varies for each town you're in - usually reaching a certain net income or cash on hand or putting a competitor out of business.

It was full of the type of silly humor and puns that I don't always find amusing, but a lot of it was actually pretty funny, surprisingly. I don't always like that kind of humor, but it was pretty well written.

A minor problem I had with it was that the early rounds ended a little too soon and the last round went on and on and on. For that round you have to put your last competitor out of business, but he just keeps hanging in there even when he has almost no customers. It took forever, long past the point where it was fun or challenging. But the rest of it was fun.

September 8, 2013 11:12 pm  #505

Awww jen.  I'm so sorry your kittie is ill.=10px  {{{jen & kittie }}}

September 8, 2013 11:14 pm  #506

The other game I finished recently was Jewel Quest: The Sapphire Dragon (the 6th one in the series, apparently). This is a Match 3 game that I bought as a DD months back. 

It went on for a very long time and, unlike Fairy Godmother Tycoon, I was looking forward to it ending. In the end I did complete all levels on Advanced and won all awards, so I guess there must have been something about it that kept me playing. 

In addition to having one M3 board after another, it had a bit of a storyline. But I'm not sure I really see the point to having a story line at all in an M3 game. Maybe I just don't see the point to storylines in most games, but it seemed especially out of place in an M3. Anyway, there are some people and they have to track down one woman's kidnapped brother. That’s about the whole storyline other that a tepid romance. Maybe the storyline would have been more palatable to me if there'd been more of it. As is was, the story line was just really repetitive.

As far as the gameplay goes, it was a good game but not a great one. This is the first game from this series that I've played, and I don't feel drawn to try more.

Pros: I did like the variety of gameboards and the strategy you needed to use to choose which characters strengths would be best for each board.

Cons: I really didn't like that you don't know what score you need to get 4 stars. I didn't learn until later that you can't get the maximum of 5 stars unless you play on Advanced mode. I decided to do that and actually found it much easier on Advanced. You always get 5 stars if you finish on Advanced, whereas I played some boards over and over on normal struggling to get 4 stars. This struck me as both poor instructions and design.

Anyway, I ended up spending an awful lot of time on this game that I liked OK, but certainly didn't love and probably wouldn't play again. But I can say that I finished it. I'm going to go look up my stats for August now...

September 9, 2013 12:14 am  #507

Thanks lily. My cat has been getting better these last few days, but there may be more serious health issues that are behind her most recent troubles.

Wow, I really slowed down with purchasing and completing games in August. I bought only ONE game! (Finders on sale from Legacy Games). I guess this was partly from feeling soured toward BFG recently. But a bigger part of it is just that I've bought most all of the games I had really wanted and don't have others I really feel I need at this point. It's even been ages since there were any DDs that I wanted and didn't already have. I'm planning to cancel my membership at least for now before the next time I'm charged.

I finished 3:
City of Fools
Patchworkz
Fairy Godmother Tycoon

I don't think I ever did a summary of my July purchases/plays, and it looks like I finished NO games at all (though I was working my way through several loooong games)!

I bought 10:
Apothecarium: The Renaissance of Evil
Seven Seas Solitaire
Tradewinds 2
Magic Farm 2: Fairy Lands
Hodgepodge Hollow
Adelantado Trilogy: Book One
Robin's Quest: A Legend Born
The Enchanting Kingdom: Elisa's Adventures
Big Kahuna Reef 2
Arizona Rose and the Pirates' Riddles

BTW, for anyone interested Legacy Games has The Snow (as well as Gardenscapes Mansion Makeover) on sale for $2.95 as their flash promotion this week. I've read some mentions of The Snow here and may consider getting it.

September 9, 2013 9:28 am  #508

Just wanted to let you guys know that the weekend does still work as of 10 am est. I bought

Nearwood
Fairy Godmother Tycoon

I had a GCC and used that to get two for 99 cents. Figured that was a good deal.

I also had a PCC from last week that I used and got

Nancy Drew: Alibi in Ashes

This was the only Nancy Drew game I was missing. I got bonus punches with each of them which filled another card, so I have a new PCC to sue next Monday.

September 9, 2013 10:23 am  #509

Well, I guess I should have waited but decided to go ahead and get $.99 game along with my remaining GCC this weekend since I have enough PCC's to use up and that would have been 2 more punches.  You know it's getting time to cancel when you're having trouble finding games that look worth getting. I went to buy one and realized I already had it but it wasn't on my list of games I keep.

Games from this weekend:
Amusement World (still had time on trial and decided it was fun enough to get)
Forest Legends: The Call of Love

Games from PCC's today (all oldies):
The Flying Dutchman - In the Ghost Prison
Margrave: The Blacksmith's Daughter
Annabel
Puzzle Bots
Wizard Land

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7

September 9, 2013 10:27 am  #510

Cool teeitup46ok. Glad you got some games today. Never heard of the games you got today. You'll have to let us know if htey are any good.

Board footera