Finish Your Games Challenge

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 28, 2014 12:29 pm  #21

Re: StuSue's Reviews

Surface: Reel Life - SE

Developer:                       Elephant Games

Date of Review:               28 May 2014  (played 28 May 2014)

Genre:                               HOPA

Availability:                        BFG  –  CE : 11 April 2014  –  SE : 5 May 2014

Story:

Elephant Games’ genre-pushing Surface series continues... this time, in Reel Life!

Your sister and her daughter, Jane, were enjoying a screening of an old movie, when one of the actors literally stepped off the screen! Now Jane is missing, and the building is crawling with strange plants and animals from the movie. You solve all the puzzles in your way and rush to the theater to find a way into the world of the film to save your niece. But once you do… you realize that the mystery - and the danger - is much deeper than you could have imagined. Can you escape before your adventure becomes a tragedy? Find out in Surface: Reel Life, a thrilling Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure game!

The Collector’s Edition includes:

*    Release Andrew Light from Cinecity in the bonus game.
    *    Collect flowers to visit the secret room for extra prizes.
    *    Win awards for your greatest achievements.
    *    Use the available Strategy Guide. 
    *    Soundtracks, screen savers, wallpapers, and concept art.

Main Menu:

*    Play
    *    Options
    *    Help
    *    Strategy Guide  (takes you to BFG’s SG to buy)
    *    Quit

Options:

Sound
    *    Music volume
    *    Effects volume
    *    Environment volume
Graphics
    *    Gamma
Other
    *    Full-screen
    *    Wide-screen
    *    Custom Icon
    *    Special Effects
Game Mode
Credits

Screen:

*    Bottom Left – map/diary/cutscenes all in one – next to each other on the screen
    *    Bottom Right – hint
    *    Bottom – inventory - lockable
    *    They don’t take up a lot of the screen

Gameplay:

I only got the SE to fill a punch card as, even though I wasn’t too thrilled by the CE demo, I liked it more when I played the SE demo and I really liked the way you used inventory items in the HOSs.  Then, when I played the game today, once I’d left the cinema and was in the next location, I really enjoyed the game.

Collectibles:    No – but there are in the CE
Companion:    None
Diary:    Not many pages – about 9 – but you can replay all the cutscenes (about 35)
Gameplay:    Usual standard HOPA
Graphics:    OK but nothing special and I didn’t particularly like them – although they were very clear
Hint:    Directional
Inventory:    Lockable
Modes:    3 – Casual, Advanced, Hardcore
Map:    Jump map, shows one object from each scene – only shows your location and locked areas
Morphing Objects:    No – not even in CE                     
Music:    Good but you only get a few seconds of music every now and again – super quiet game!
Quality:    Good but imho not up to Elephant’s usual high standard, especially the graphics
Sparkles:    Yes – depending on what mode you choose – but even in HOSs in Advanced mode!
Strategy Guide:    No – but yes in CE – but you wouldn’t need it as the hint is enough
Tutorial:    ? – can’t remember
Voiceovers:    Good with lip syncing

Difficulty:

It’s a very easy game and you can’t get lost as, once you’ve finished in one area you move on to the next and you don’t go back.  The last area has 8 locations.  The HOSs are very easy, although you can’t finish them if you haven’t already got the 2 items you’ll need in inventory.  You simply go back to finish them if you haven’t.  The minigames (around 23 versus only around 8 HOSs, so 3:1 ratio) range from easy peasy to head-scratching, but most are in the easy-medium range.  Every puzzle has Reset and Skip buttons. 

Black Bar Tips:

The BBTs are all your own thoughts (game’s in first person) telling you what to do but not how to do it.  For example, they say that you need to cut some glass but they don’t tell you how to do it or what you need to do it.  Or, for example, “How can I get rid of the rope?”

Inventory:

*    Lockable.
    *    All items go straight into inventory – yay! – no windows to close.
    *    Some of the inventory items are used in the HOPs – 2 per HOP.
    *    There are a lot of ‘plus’ items – you have to open them to fix/unwrap/turn on, etc.
    *    Some of these ‘plus’ items turn into puzzles when you find all the missing pieces and open them.
    *    I loved that the inventory wasn’t just a receptacle for items.
    *    The inventory made the gameplay different from other HOPAs – it was interesting and fun.

HOPs:     8    (at least – I may have missed jotting down 1 or 2)

*    You only play each HOS once.
    *    Very clear graphics and large items – very easy to spot the straight-list items.
    *    They’re junkpile but all are appropriate – for example, all sport equipment in a sports shop.
    *    There are sparkles in the HOPs in Advanced Mode ! if you wait a bit.
    *    Every HOP is list – all except the first 2 needed 2 inventory items.
    *    If you don’t have the 2 inventory items you have to return to finish the HOP later when you do.
    *    One incorrect name – they list sushi but it’s actually sashimi.
    *    Every HOP has a poster/note that, if you click on it, will open and give you some background info.
    *    I didn’t notice any alternative minigame.

Minigames/Puzzles:    23    (at least – I may have missed jotting down 1 or 2)

*    They all have Reset and Skip buttons.
    *    Most of the minigames are easy or easy/medium difficulty and don’t take much time.
    *    However, there are a couple that are hard and take a long time to finish.
    *    I skipped one right at the beginning (that I’d finished in the demo) as it was taking too long.
    *    Another puzzle I almost skipped as it’s one I don’t like but then, suddenly, it was finished!
    *    Some of them are original, or have original twists.
    *    Quite a few are fun but nothing memorable.
    *    You don’t have to wait until you have all the missing pieces to add bits to a puzzle.

Posters/Notes/Cutscenes:

*    You come across lots of posters, notes and cutscenes that explain how it all happened.
    *    They’re everywhere – hanging on walls, in zoom-in scenes, and in every HOP.
    *    Make sure you click on every poster and note you come across.
    *    Clicking on most (if not all) posters will start a cutscene (about 34!).
    *    All cutscenes can be replayed in the map/diary/cutscene – most in sepia and look like old movies.
    *    Sometimes if you click on other things in the scenes you get some more little titbits of info.

Running Around:

*    Not all that much running around as once you’ve finished in one area you move on.
    *    So you don’t normally have to go more than a few scenes.
    *    However, a few times you go back for one item that you need.
    *    Sometimes I went back for one item and then saw that there were still other things waiting.
    *    In every location there are generally 1 or 2 things that can’t be done straight away.
    *    I often forgot all about these things until I needed something later and a light bulb went off.
    *    Or I picked up an inventory item and suddenly remembered I needed it ... but where?

Length:

*    Took me a bit under 4 hours  (but I’m a slow player and was taking review notes as I played).

BFG  Stats as at 28 May 2014:

CE

Average rating  –  3.4  –  47 reviews  –  9 x 5 stars - 11 x 4 stars - 19 x 3 stars - 5 x 2 stars - 3 x 1 star)
61% recommend the game  –  25 out of 41
Fun Factor  –  3.5
Visual/Sound quality  – 3 .9
Level of Challenge  –  3.3
Storyline  – 3.4

SE

Average rating  –  3.4  –  10 reviews  –  3 x 5 stars - 3 x 4 stars - 1 x 3 stars - 1 x 2 stars - 2 x 1 star)
78% recommend the game  –  7 out of 9
Fun Factor  –  3.6
Visual/Sound quality  – 4
Level of Challenge  –  3.5
Storyline  – 3.8

Excerpt from the review at All About Casual Game:    (Overall rating 3.5)

The visuals in Reel Life are as mind-blowing as expected, particularly in the movie world. The locations are beautifully colored with gorgeous special effects. Nonetheless, since there is not limit to imagination in the film world; we wish the developers would have include more 'surprise' factors in the locations and maybe more imaginative designs and decorations.

The overall gameplay in Reel Life is not very creative either. It offers solid fun but the developers surely could have done much more with it. The interactive Hidden Object scenes are simple and only come in standard-list type, puzzles are challenging but nowhere near unique.

For those who are concern, Surface: Reel Life is not a very long game. The game only took us just more than 3 hours to complete; the Bonus Chapter is definitely not necessary and is very mundane, not to mention that it only lasted 40 minutes for us.

Surface: Reel Life is pretty much humdrum compared to other games in the series. Despite the consistent quality of graphics and strong base-story, the gameplay is uninspired and everything is just too slow for our tastes.

Graphics: 4.5/5 Stars
Sound: 4/5 Stars
Story: 4/5 Stars
Originality: 4/5 Stars

Gameplay: 3.5/5 Stars
Puzzles: 3/5 Stars
Control and Navigation: 4/5 Stars
Fun Factor: 3.5/5 Stars
Extras: 3.5/5 Stars

Read more: http://www.allaboutcasualgame.com/2014/04/surface-reel-life-review.html#ixzz331ungbKp

Some Comments in BFG Reviews – CE:

*    The bonus has a different ending to the main game (you save Andrew).
    *    A rather quiet game
    *    Main game and bonus less than 3 hours in Hard Mode
    *    Short compared to other CEs
    *    Short compared to other Surface games
    *    Bonus chapter was a waste of a credit
    *    If you don’t find every single collectible flower you can’t watch the third bonus video

Belamba:
    *    4 hours main game and bonus, Advanced Mode, didn’t using any hints or skip
    *    Bonus humdrum and only about 35 minutes – not loaded with HOPs

My Recommendation:    SE – not CE

I really enjoyed Surface: Reel Life.  I liked it a lot more than I’d expected.  Once you get to CineCity things get much more interesting and I liked the way Andrew could change things with just the snap of his fingers.  I also found the story interesting.

I really liked the gameplay with using inventory items in the HOPs and having so many ‘plus’ inventory items, with some turning into puzzles when you’ve found all the bits and pieces you need.  Needing 2 inventory items in the HOPs also made the straight-list HOPs much more interesting, especially as sometimes I didn’t have all the items I needed and so had to leave some HOPs and go back to them later once I’d found whatever it was I needed.

So I recommend the SE but not the CE as the bonus chapter is only 35-40 minutes and, even though it sounds interesting, it’s definitely not worth double the price.  Playing the bonus changes the ending of the game.  Also, if you don’t collect all the collectible flowers (and there are heaps of them) you can’t watch the third bonus video and a few reviewers weren’t happy about that as they’d only missed one.  If I remember correctly, some reviewers said that they were disappointed that you didn’t get to use the flowers to do other fun stuff like in all the previous games.  I’ve only played the first one but I think you got to use the flowers (in lots of 3) to paint the main menu page with lots of colour and flowers, or something like that.

My Rating:   

I really liked playing this game.

What you're doing today is important
because you're exchanging a day of your life for it.

June 3, 2014 11:09 am  #22

Grim Tales 6: The Vengeance – CE

Note:  The bits added to my demo review are in blue.

Publisher/Developer:        Elephant Games

Date of Review:                  3 June 2014  (played 1-2 June 2014)

Genre:                                  HOPA

Availability:                           BFG – 15 May 2014

Story:

You’ve been summoned to court to provide testimony in a trial against your nephew James, who stands accused of murdering his sister. By using your power to learn an object’s history simply by touching it, you must examine evidence from the crime scene to determine what really happened to Elizabeth. Can you prove James innocent and find the real killer? As you explore the family mansion, a dark force is trying to cover up the truth! Watch your step, or you could be next! Follow the trail and crack the case in this thrilling hidden-object puzzle adventure game!

The Collector’s Edition includes:

*    Bonus chapter featuring a new story!
    *    Gather evidence to present at court!
    *    Collect figures for more story info
    *    Use the available Strategy Guide
    *    Get soundtracks, concept art, and wallpapers

Main Menu:

*    Play Game
    *    Options
    *    More Games
    *    Bonus Content
    *    Strategy Guide
    *    Quit

Options:

Sound:
    *    Music Volume
    *    Effects Volume
    *    Environment Volume
    *    Voice Volume
Graphics:
    *    Gamma
Other:
    *    Full-screen
    *    Wide-screen
    *    Custom Cursor
    *    Special Effects
Credits
Game Mode

Screen:

*    Strategy Guide  –  top left
    *    Hint  –  bottom left
    *    Menu  –  bottom right
    *    Map  –  bottom right above menu – also has collectibles room, achievements and diary
    *    Inventory  –  Just the word down the bottom – no huge inventory bar showing
    *    Tasks  –  on the inventory bar, to the left of ‘Inventory’

CE Extras:

*    Bonus chapter  
    *    Collectibles – 13 small statues
    *    Achievements – only 10 – the usual  –  no, there are more – see below for details
    *    Wallpapers – 9
    *    Concept Art – 8 – can be saved
    *    Music – 5 – can be saved
    *    Screensaver – 1
    *    Morphing objects – 35
    *    Strategy Guide

Game Series:

Grim Tales 1: The Bride CE  –  released BFG – 4 August 2011
Grim Tales 2: The Legacy CE  –  released BFG – 5 January 2012
Grim Tales 3: The Wishes CE  –  released BFG – 12 July 2012
Grim Tales 4: The Stone Queen CE  –  released BFG – 3 January 2013
Grim Tales 5: Bloody Mary CE  –  released BFG 20 – 1 August 2013
Grim Tales 6: The Vengeance CE  –  released BFG - 15 May 2014

Gameplay:

Collectibles:    Yes – 13 small statues  (I missed 2 in the bonus, so they’re harder to find in the bonus)
Cutscenes:    Sometimes crystal clear, sometimes a tad blurry
Diary:    Very basic but beautiful – found when you open the Map
Gameplay:    Usual HOPA – but with interesting evidence bar on the side
Graphics:    Good – but very, very, very blue
Hint:    Teleporting to another scene – can choose to teleport or go there yourself
Inventory:    Can only see very narrow bar at bottom with word ‘Inventory’, also ‘Tasks’ to the left
Modes:    3 – Casual, Advanced, Hardcore – no Custom
Map:    Jump map – indicates player, current tasks, no current tasks, and blocked
Morphing Objects:    Yes – 35 – not easy to spot – cursor doesn’t change
Music:    Good – but once again a very quiet game with not much music
Quality:    Very good      
Strategy Guide:    Yes – 6 chapters, bonus chapter, collectibles – only Chaps 1–2 shown in demo
Tutorial:    Yes – windows open when you come across something to explain it – can skip
Voiceovers:    Good – good lip sync – good facial movement, etc., as well

Strategy Guide:

Main Game = 36 pages
Bonus = 10 pages

Chapter 1  –  James’ Trial  –  pages 2-8
Chapter 2  –  Elizabeth’s Room  –  pages 9-13
Chapter 3  –  The Wolf Ring  –  pages 14-19
Chapter 4  –  The Mural  –  pages 20-24
Chapter 5  –  Catherine’s Diary  –  pages 25-32
Chapter 6  –  Saving Elizabeth  –  pages 33-37 
Bonus Chapter  –  pages 38-47 
Collectibles  –  pages 48-51

Difficulty:

The game didn’t seem to be too easy in the bit of the demo I played, but nor did it seem to be very challenging.  However, there seems to be an awful lot to do in each scene and you have to remember all the things you need in each scene when you find an inventory object.  The scenes are also very cluttered – I can’t believe how many things they fitted into each scene!

I only came across 2 HOPs – easy, interactive, junkpile lists with a few simple interactions – and 1 puzzle – an easy but fun jigsaw puzzle. 

Reviewers said that it wasn’t a very hard game but more challenging than a lot of the recent games.

After playing:

One thing I really didn’t like that made the game much easier than it needed to be, as it wasn’t a very difficult game (although some challenging minigames), is that sometimes when you had to use an inventory item there was a small sketch next to whatever it was you needed to do showing you exactly what you needed and what to do.  I found that annoying, especially as it was totally unnecessary and you couldn’t avoid it when it happened.  And this was even in Hardcore Mode!!!!  For example, there was something I needed to get out of a crack and right there was a sketch showing what inventory item I needed and how to do it!  I think we can all work out how to get something out of a crack!

Black Bar Tips:

The BBTs said exactly what you needed to do but not how to do it.  For example, you’re told that you have to get rid of some cobwebs before you can get something, but it doesn’t tell you what you need in order to do it.

After playing:

Sometimes the BBTs were way too helpful and you can’t turn them off.

HOPs:  

I played 2 HOPs in the time that I played.  Both were junkpile lists with 12 objects to find – the first one had 3 simple interactive objects, the second had 5.  Both were part of the gameplay – for example, you open a cupboard and the inside is a HOP.  They were slightly blurry and, once again, very blue. 

There’s no alternative minigame that I saw.

Minigames/Puzzles:   

I only came across one in the demo – an easy but fun jigsaw.

One review said that the puzzles were “fantastic”.  Another said that they were all “very entertaining”.  Another said that, “Some of the puzzles were unique and used logic rather than just putting something together.” All About Casual Game said that there were lots of very good puzzles.

After playing:

I noted 8 in the main game and 2 in the bonus but I could easily have missed making note of some.  They ranged from very easy to hard and some were very original.  One was taking so long – very fiddly trial and error – that I looked in the SG for a rough idea where the pieces should go and then worked from there.  Some of the instructions also weren't very clear and I had to check in the SG to see how they worked.  I had to take notes for some of the harder minigames but I really liked that.

One of the minigames was putting the planets in order from the sun.  You’re told what order they should go in; the difficulty is getting them there.  However, Uranus was called Uranium in the game.

Clues:

When you find a clue in a scene, a clue box opens up down the right side of the screen.  In the first scene in the photo there were 5 items to find.  There’s a pale picture of each one and, when you find one, it’s then coloured.  There’s a small projector imagine below each object and you can click on it once you’ve found an object and watch a video about that clue and learn more.  The clue box closes and I found it a bit difficult to reopen to see how it worked.  I don’t know whether you can only open it at certain times or whether it’s just tricky to open.  But I found that idea original and very interesting.

Map:

The map is like a beautiful drawing, seen from above.  Rooms (in the first photo you enter) are added as you enter them.  Once again, it’s very blue just like everything else in the game (at least in the demo).  If you hover the cursor over each room a larger picture of the scene you’re in and its name are shown.  If you click on a room you’re automatically transported there straight away.

It shows the location of the player, the current task, no current task, and blocked.

Inventory:

*    There are + objects – you either manipulate them or combine them to form other objects.
    *    Objects go straight into inventory and not first into a window that you have to close – YAY!

Collectibles:     13

You collect 13 small statues of family members.  You just find them standing there in scenes.  They’re added to your collectibles room and, when you’ve collected several (different reviewers said different numbers) you can watch a video that reveals more of the family history.

When you find one a window pops up showing the statue and tells you a bit about that person.  You can find them all in the collectibles room, which you can find if you open the map.  There you can watch the videos, or click on a statue and see a bigger version of the same window you saw in the game.

After playing:

The collectibles work in exactly the same way as in Elephant’s latest game.  They’re exactly the same colour (although different objets), the windows that open are exactly the same, clicking to go to Collectibles is exactly the same, the information is shown in exactly the same manner.   They obviously just copied this idea for their latest game – same programming, just change the objects and info.

Also, I think the same as in their latest offering, once you collect a row of the small statues (3 or 4 per row) you can watch a video, all of which were just a few screens and really boring, imho.

Morphing Objects:    35

*    Yay!  All different objects – vase, statue, poster, etc.
    *    Yay!  They’re very hard to spot, especially as you don’t know what you’re looking for.
    *    Yay!  The cursor doesn’t change when it goes over the object.
    *    Yay!  You can only click on the object when it is in morphing mode.

After playing:

*    I missed the very first one (I’d forgotten about them) and you can’t go back
    *    You aren’t only able to click in morphing mode – you can click on anything to see if it’s the one
    *    They’re harder to spot in the bonus chapter
    *    The first one in the bonus is really difficult – a bird looks the other way in the shadows right up top
    *    One in the main game was really sneaky – hidden behind an inventory object you have to pick up first

Achievements:     10  –  no, there are more as some are progressive

There are only 10 and the achievements are nothing new – the usual performance-based HOP/minigame ones.  They are displayed in Achievements found if you open the map or in Bonus Content, found on the main menu page.

After playing:

As you earn achievements more are added, as some are progressive.  For example, 3 HOPs in a row in under 3 minutes each – 5 HOPs in a row in under 3 minutes each – 10 HOPs in a row in under 3 minutes each.  I didn’t get this last one so there may be another one for all HOPs in under 3 minutes.  There may be one for earning all the achievements but, as I didn’t get them all, that one wouldn’t have been added.  I ended up with 18 but, as I said, there may be more.  Also, I only got a couple of the achievements once I’d finished the game, even though I’d earned them earlier.  My 18 were:

Newbie Explorer – 3 minigames without skipping
Recruit Detective – 5 minigames without skipping
Private Detective – 10 minigames without skipping
Brilliant Investigator – all minigames without skipping
Court is Now in Session – 3 HOGs without hints
Opening Statements – 5 HOPs without hints
Examining Evidence – 10 HOPs without hints
Time for a Verdict – all HOPs without hints
Timeless Wisdom – 3 objects in 3 seconds
Swiftness of Themis’s Blade – 5 objects in 5 secs
 Accuracy of Themis’s Scales – 10 objects in 10 secs
Court Vigilance – 3 HOPs in a row in under 3 mins each
Court Agility – 5 HOPs in a row in under 3 mins each
Court Rigor – 10 HOPs in a row in under 3 mins each  (I think I got about 8)
Thorough Investigation – a HOP over 10 mins
Outrunning Lightening – a minigame in under 1 min
Express Investigation – a HOP in under 1 min
Detective’s Vigilance – all 35 morphing objects  (I missed the 1st one and couldn’t go back)

Bonus Chapter:

One reviewer said: “the way the main game ended you don't feel as you have to buy the CE to see the full ending. The main game ended the story perfectly. The bonus chapter had its own little story with a fantastic ending.”  Another said that it was a great game, and the bonus as well.    

After playing:

As the reviewer said, the main game ended perfectly.  You don’t need the bonus at all.  However, the bonus does have a very happy ending  –  SPOILER  –  
everything is put back the way it should have been and so it all ends happily.

The bonus took me about 1 hour 10 mins.  It’s just as good as the main game, with harder-to-spot morphing objects and collectibles, however, it isn’t necessary.  I wouldn’t recommend getting the CE just for the bonus chapter, only if you want the morphing objects, collectibles (with boring videos), and achievements as well.

Length:

A couple of reviewers said that the entire game took them about 6 hours, bonus included.  One reviewer said that the main game took them 4 hours, the bonus only 30 mins.  Another said that the bonus was only 1 hour.

After playing:

Well, I keep on saying I’m a slow player and, comparing my times to these reviewers, I am a slow player.  The main game took me around 6½ hours give or take, and the bonus 1 hour 10 minutes.  However, I played in Hardcore Mode and only looked at the SG to work out how to play a couple of the minigames, whose instructions weren’t very clear, and the map a few times to check I’d finished in an area.  The reviewers who played a lot faster than me might have played in Casual Mode and skipped all the minigames.

Miscellaneous:

You go into the past through photos!  I really liked that, even though I only got to go into one (I assume all the scenes you go into are photos).  Everything is static, as it’s a photo, even though you enter other locations. 

Your player name is used in the first scene.

Apparently, there’s a continuity problem with the other 5 games.  This is what JustTheFacts said:

For what Elephant have done to the beset Gray family this time. They’ve gratuitously changed the names in utterly ridiculous ways! And without any cause I can fathom. It really is quite unforgivable. Luckily, they have introduced a new dimension to the story – now we are not the only one who can travel back in time to significant events in a person’s lifetime.”

And:

Well, see, here’s where I get cranky. The “McGray” (previously known as the Gray) family is now minus my sister and her husband (remember, the first game, all those years ago, started with their wedding), who have died unceremoniously and left a will that leaves the entire estate to Elizabeth – reasons unknown. Even worse, Elizabeth is now also dead and our dear nephew James is accused of her murder!
We, as Aunt Gray (what? My sis married into the Gray family, not me), are subpoenaed to give evidence to the court, based on our ability to use important objects as a kind of doorway to significant events in the past.

After finding an old photograph of the Black Rock (wasn’t it Black Lock?) mansion, we are transported back to a moment sometime before our niece’s death, to find James looking exceedingly angry and threatening Elizabeth. While they remain suspended in time, we must seek evidence of James’ innocence to show the judge. But we are not alone. Impossibly, something or someone is moving it this normally frozen environment. And it is getting nasty.

One thing I dislike about this game is that there is a confusing and contradictory back story to go with all this, with family trees and so forth, all delivered in an amazing assortment of media, that could have made the backstory interesting and involving. Again, why couldn’t they just stick to what we know and build from there?

After playing:

You only go into 3 scenes (2 are the same house but you go into some different areas), 1 more in the bonus.

Sometimes I had to go from one end to the other, just to get one inventory item, then all the way back again to use it.  There’s also more and more running around over longer distances near the end of the main game as more areas are opened up – and the game didn’t need to be lengthened!

I needed something near the end of the main game that I hadn’t been able to access right at the beginning.  I’d totally forgotten all about it.

Statistics on BFG game page as of 25 May 2014:

*    35 reviews – average 4.5 stars
    *    22 gave 5 stars  –  8 gave 4 stars  –  3 gave 3 stars  –  none gave 1 or 2 stars
    *    97% recommended the game – 32/33
    *    Fun Factor – 4.4
    *    Visual/Sound Quality – 4.8
    *    Level of Challenge – 4.5
    *    Storyline – 4.5

Statistics on BFG game page as of 3 June 2014:

*    48 reviews – average 4.5 stars
    *    31 gave 5 stars  –  9 gave 4 stars  –  8 gave 3 stars  –  none gave 1 or 2 stars
    *    91% recommended the game – 42/46
    *    Fun Factor – 4.4
    *    Visual/Sound Quality – 4.8
    *    Level of Challenge – 4.3
    *    Storyline – 4.5

Excerpt from All About Casual Game’s Review:

the presentation in Grim Tales: The Vengeance is without question, marvelous! The graphics are crystal clear and beautiful blue shades, special effects are amazing and the details are just mesmerizing. The music is epic, but fairly loud compared to what we are used to from Elephant. The voice overs are solid, accompanied by a fair attempt of lip-syncing.

In terms of gameplay, Grim Tales: The Vengeance does not really bring anything new to the genre. Despite that, it ticks all the boxes and does not fail to entertain us. As with the usual games from elephant, Grim Tales 6 is an extremely game with tons of tasks at hand, numerous inventory items and a large number of locations to explore. Luckily for us, the interactive map is beautifully-designed and does a satisfying job on guiding the player to the right location. Other aspects of the game are well-done also, the hidden object scenes are mostly junkpiles and straightforward, but they are easy on the eye and items are not too difficult to spot. The puzzles are the better parts of this game and we are glad that there are many to be solved throughout the game. While they might not be totally unique, they are definitely enjoyable and suitable for the theme of the game.

Unfortunately, Grim Tales: The Vengeance is a little bit lacking on the Extras. The main game has a good length of around 4 hours for advanced players, but the Bonus Chapter barely reaches 40 minutes. Other Extras are the average even though we like the idea that the statuette collectibles add some extra stories to the game.

Grim Tales: The Vengeance suggests us once again, the reason why the Grim Tales series deserves a special place in our hearts. Grim Tales: The Vengeance is an expertly-crafted HOPA filled with terrific visuals, captivating storyline and neat mechanics.

Graphics: 5/5 Stars
Sound: 4.5/5 Stars        
Story: 4/5 Stars
Originality: 4/5 Stars
Gameplay: 4.5/5 Stars
Puzzles: 4.5/5 Stars
Control and Navigation: 5/5 Stars
Fun Factor: 5/5 Stars
Extras: 3.5/5 Stars

Read more: http://www.allaboutcasualgame.com/2014/05/grim-tales-vengeance-review.html#ixzz32j4ZhqiQ

Note:  There’s a major glitch!

This is a glitch that a lot of people in the forums complained about.  However, after reading every post regarding the glitch I found a fix that worked for one person, for me, and for at least one other person I PMed as they’d posted that they couldn’t continue in the game because of the glitch.

At some point in the game I couldn’t continue.  I looked everywhere but there was nothing to do for which I had the inventory items.  I eventually checked the SG to see what I was missing and realised that I needed a machete to continue and I didn’t have one anymore.  I looked all the way through the SG since the last time I’d used it to see if I’d missed picking up another one, but no.  So I checked in the forums and a lot of people seemed to have been missing the machete.  People had tried uninstalling and reinstalling, restarting with new profiles, etc., but nothing worked.

So, what worked for someone else and worked for me was:   You go to the scene where you need the machete, then you exit out of the game entirely, then you go back in and the machete should be back in your inventory and you can use it.  So, all you have to do is exit the game then restart it and that should fix the problem.

My Recommendation:    Definitely SE and, if it weren’t for the relatively short bonus, the CE

I loved the opening scene.  It wasn’t as dramatic as my favourite opening scene (in Grim Legend: The Forsaken Bride CE, but I can’t imagine anything even coming close to that one), but I was amazed at how crystal clear the graphics were in the cutscene!  Unfortunately, it didn’t continue that crystal clear and the game is exceedingly blue.   Everything is blue! 

I loved the idea of going into the past through photos that you find and I loved the idea of the clue box in each scene.  I also loved the morphing objects as they’re hard to spot, are all totally different objects, your cursor doesn’t change when it goes over one, and you can only click on it when it’s in morphing mode, all of which are what I believe to make the perfect morphing objects.  I also like the idea of the statues you collect of family members that give you more information re the family.  I also liked the story and the way the game starts in a courtroom. 

However, owning but not having played any of the previous games in the series I can’t comment on how it relates to them.

I will definitely be getting this game and recommend it as an SE.  I really want to get the CE as I love the morphing objects.  However, with only a 30-60 minutes bonus chapter I’m not sure that it’s worth it.

After playing:

I definitely recommend the SE because:

*    I loved playing this game, although it isn’t one of my favourite love, love, love games.
    *    It isn’t an easy game, the HOPs are great, the minigames are original and some are challenging.
    *    The main game took me around 6½ hours, give or take, so it’s a nice, long game.
    *    The main game ends nicely and conclusively and you wouldn’t miss the bonus.

I don’t recommend the CE because:

*    IMHO the extras aren’t worth double the money.
    *    The bonus is only a bit over an hour and is unnecessary.
    *    The wallpapers aren’t very good, imho.
    *    The concept art is boring, imho, and I normally like the CA.
    *    There’s only one screensaver (which I’m actually using now) and it also isn’t all that exciting.
    *    You don’t need the CE to download the music as you can do that direct from the game files.
    *    The achievements are done well but are boring to look at.
    *    The collectible statues are okay to collect but all you get are some boring, static videos, imho.

However, I do recommend the CE if:

*    You love achievements and collectibles.
    *    You want the bonus chapter, as it
fixes everything and does give you a happy ending.
    *    You don’t mind that the bonus is only around an hour.

I’m not sorry I got the CE but I think I would have been even happier with the SE, given that the main game is so long and you get a conclusive, happy ending.  It also wasn't one of those games when, when I get to the end of the main game, I really want to continue playing, like Fatal Passion: Art Prison.  What happens in the bonus was something I hadn’t even thought of so I wouldn't have missed it but it does
fix everything and gives you a really happy ending

My Rating:   

I loved playing this game! 

It isn't one of my favourites but I really liked the graphics, music, story, original gameplay, and unique (some challenging) minigames.

June 20, 2014 1:15 pm  #23

Mysteries of Neverville: The Runestone of Light - SE  (straight SE)

Developer:                       Urchin Games

Date of Review:               20 June 2014  (played 20 June 2014)

Availability:                       BFG  –  15 June 2014
                                           GameHouse  –  20 June 2014

Games by Urchin Games:

Entwined: Strings of Deception
Epic Adventures: Cursed Onboard
Epic Adventures: La Jangada
Greed: The Mad Scientis
Mysteries of Neverville: The Runestone of Light
Scarytales: All Hail King Mongo
Tales of Sorrow: Strawsbrough Town

Story:

The runestone of light that has protected the town of Neverville for thousands of years is missing. With nothing to protect the town, an evil fog has surrounded the people inside. You are the daughter of Cygnus Rastlin, the greatest guardian of Neverville and must return to the town to stop the evil from spreading. Find out who is lurking in the fog! Is it the notorious necromancer Grimhall, who was once captured and buried inside a stone chamber by Cugnus Rastlin himself? Who is behind the disappearance of the runestone? Will you be able to save the innocent people of Neverville from their grim fate by restoring the runestone to its rightful place?

*    Immersive magical atmosphere
    *    Elaborate storyline with many different characters  (Um, no - you briefly meet 5)
    *    Play unique puzzles and overcome obstacles

Main Menu:

*    Play
    *    Options
    *    Change Player
    *    Exit

Options:

*    Music Volume
    *    Effects Volume
    *    Voice Volume
    *    Fullscreen Mode
    *    Widescreen Correction
    *    Custom Cursor
    *    View Credits  (14 people and 2 for voiceovers)

Gameplay:

I played this game today with my FunPass as, even though I'd really liked the demo, I'd read that it was really short.  One said only 10 mins longer than the demo, another only 2h10.  I was so happy to see that GameHouse released it today and played it straight away.  It took me longer than the others - about 3h15, give or take - but I'm a slow player and didn't skip anything, not even a HOS, which you can skip!!!!  I've never seen that before.

Collectibles:    No  –  but in the beginning you find 2 different things, sort of like collectibles
Diary:    None
Graphics:    I really liked the graphics - although it's dark at night - with smooth animations
Hint:    Tells you what to do, what you need to do it, where it is, with a choice to jump there
Inventory:    Not lockable  –  everything goes straight into the inventory - yay!
Modes:    3  –  Normal, Hard, Detective  –  can't be changed during play
Map:    None  –  but you don't really need it with the jumping help and not many areas
Morphing Objects:    None                      
Music:    Good in main menu then just eerie ambient sounds in game
Quality:    Good
Sparkles:    Yes  –  depending on what mode you choose  –  none in Detective Mode
Strategy Guide:    No
Tutorial:    None in Detective Mode
Voiceovers:    Good but no lip-syncing

Black Bar Tips:

The BBTs are a bit too helpful but that didn't worry me as I was having fun.  And they were a lot less helpful than the help button!!!!

HOSs:     13    (7 HOSs - 6 are repeated once)

*    You can skip them!    I've never seen that in any game before! 
    *    Straight lists with no interaction but I really liked them
    *    IMHO they're much better than the inventive HOPs in Sea of Lies: Nemesis CE
    *    You really have to look hard to find everything, some are hiding in plain sight
    *    Clear graphics but objects very well hidden, sometimes in dark spots
    *    They’re junkpile in parts
    *    You normally get 2 inventory items per HOS, but once I got 3 and once only 1
    *    Some items are misnamed -
    *    Lguana = Lizard  ...  Folk = Fork  ...  Eye patch = Eyeball
    *    Repeated HOSs have some of the items found previously, plus some new ones
    *    No alternative minigame

Minigames/Puzzles:    12    (11 puzzles with 1 repeated once)

*    Reset (at least the first one, which I used several times) and Skip buttons
    *    The instructions are automatically given at the beginning but you can skip them
    *    None were difficult but they all required a bit of thought
    *    For example, every time you had to turn something, others moved, too
    *    Some oldies, like turning rings, and some newbies
    *    The first one is a slider, but you can move everything freely up/down, left/right
    *    One is an arcade game that needs timing - but not speed
    *    One is repeated but that was okay as I really liked it

Running Around:

*    Not all that much running around as there aren't many areas to get lost in
    *    I think only 4 areas with a total of 13 scenes
    *    So you never have to go back more than a few scenes

Difficulty:

Unlike all the recent games, this one was like a breath of fresh air as it isn't an easy peasy game!    It certainly isn't hard but both the HOSs and puzzles require some thought.  Some of the hotspots are also in unusual spots if you play without sparkles, adding to the difficulty.  I liked the difficulty - I had to think about what to do, the objects in the HOS were hard to find, sometimes had to search around for hotspots or for HOSs to do again to get something I needed, and the puzzles needed a bit of thought. 

Length:

*    Took me about 3h15, give or take
    *    But I’m a slow player and was taking review notes as I played
    *    I skipped nothing and only used the hint a few times when I'd missed a hotspot or HOS
    *    Others said super short, one only 10 mins longer than demo, another 2h10

sportygal2009 -
My Play Time: This was about 3 hours for me and that was skipping most of the puzzles.May be more or less for you of course.

BFG  Stats as at 20 June 2014:

Average rating  –  3.3  –  12 reviews  –
    5 stars  -  4
    4 stars  - 
    3 stars  -  5
    2 stars  -  2
    1 star  -    1
64% recommend the game  –  7 out of 11
Fun Factor  –  3.1
Visual/Sound quality  – 3.2
Level of Challenge  –  3.5
Storyline  – 3

Some Excerpts from some BFG Finished-Game Reviews:

pennmom36 -
This isn't a bad little game, the graphics are simple, but sharp and well defined. The characters are very lifelike, although there are no lip movements, and there are a lot of dialog boxes to read.
This is mostly an adventure game with a lot of mini games and puzzles. None of the mini games are hard, in fact most are puzzles that can be done quickly such as moving metal plates of different sizes and directions to expose the keyhole in the middle of the board similar to a game of blocks. There are games where you need to turn over cards two at a time trying to match two similar cards such as a feather quill and an ink bottle. The mini game I liked the best was swapping gnomes of different colors so that no two gnomes with the same color are sitting on the same path. There is a good amount of Hidden Object Scenes, the scenes are well lit and the objects are easily identifiable. and they are list finds.
This isn't an over the top game with all the bells and whistles, but it is a really entertaining game with lots of puzzles to keep you busy, enjoy!

Tufty57 -
Despite the fact that the story is nothing really new, it is a fun game with a good level of challenge.HOSs were all simple lists and are revisited at least once. Some items are very small, but they are all pretty doable, you can just skip after a while if you get fed up or use a hint.I liked the puzzles, variations on familiar formats, but not as straightforward as you may at first think.Three modes of play can ramp up the challenge further (Normal/Hard/Detective) In the descriptions of each level it mentions "achievement items" and I got a bit excited, but I haven't come across anything out of the ordinary and it may only mean 'pick-ups'.

NB:  I also got a bit excited when I read about the "achievement items" but I also think they were for items in the beginning where you had to find more than one - I mentioned them in Collectibles.  You need 5 of one item and they're found in areas just like collectibles.  You also have to find I think 8 of another item and they're found in HOSs as well as in scenes, once again like collectibles.  I missed a couple of them in Detective Model without sparkles, but found them when I went back as I was searching for something else.

rosekaufmann -
Seems there are a lot of dangerous fogs out there lately. But the story is interesting and gameplay was very good and occasionally quite challenging. HOS are very, very crowded in spots, requiring patience to find everything. But I've never seen this before, you can actually skip HOS after a while. Some puzzles are quite challenging and a little different (ex: a slider puzzle, where each piece can be moved up and down as well as sideways, which oddly made them more difficult). Graphics are beautiful.

Plientje -
I've just finished playing this game, it took me about 2 -2,5 hours, and I'm a very slow player, I like to look around in the game. Graphics are clear, but old school, more like 2011-2012 games. A lot of puzzles, some very simple, some really tough! HOS are visited twice, simple lists, but sometimes very challenging!I really liked the story, clear and pulls you in, you want to know what's happening, although we've seen this kind of story all too often. It's nicely told with some good cutscenes. And I (our heroine that is) look gorgeous! Fierceful and very attractive! Our assistant-townkeeper is nice to look at as well -
Ending doesn't leave you hanging, but is VERY abrupt. It really comes way to soon! Very little scenes to visit, there is no map, but you certainly don't need it! It's very simple to move around, and you only have to go forwards and backwards, with one crossroad.... Waaaay too easy!
A nice game if you want to play something relaxing that doesn't take too long. A good buy for a PCC that's lying around. I advise you try before you buy!

A glitch that I, and a lot of others, experienced:

For me, 2 scenes suddenly turned black.  The cursor still changed and I could see that so I could get around and, when I zoomed into something, I could see both the window and the background.  Exiting the game and restarting didn't help but uninstalling and reinstalling fixed the problem and I didn't experience it again.

My Recommendation:    A definite yes

I really enjoyed Mysteries of Neverville: The Runestone of Light.  I liked it a lot more than yesterday's CE - Sea of Lies: Nemesis (I didn't like the graphics at all and the HOS, although inventive, were way too easy and boring, imho), which I doubt I'll even get as an SE. 

Even though nothing was terribly difficult - gameplay, HOSs, puzzles - I had to think.  I liked the look of the game, the VOs, the animations, and the great eerie atmosphere created by the dark look of the game and the eerie ambient sounds, like eerie, barely-there music with whispers and wolves howling.  It's a very simple, short game, with a very small world to explore, but I had fun and really enjoyed every aspect of it.  Only the ending was a bit of a letdown.  It ends conclusively but really abruptly, which I'd read about before playing.  You do the final thing, there's a brief cutscene, then a black screen with the words The End.  And that's it. 

This would have been a fantastic CE if it were more complex, with more depth to the story and a larger world to get lost in, and lots of morphing objects and collectibles like the things you collect in the beginning.  Throughout the game a lot of your inventory items are 4 of this, 5 of that, lots of something else, and these would have all been great as collectible-like items, like in the beginning, rather than finding them in the HOSs.

All in all I had a great time playing Mysteries of Neverville: The Runestone of Light.  It's a very simple, short story but it was fun and I loved the HOSs, even though they were all list, and the puzzles, which, although not difficult and none of which take very long, offered some challenge and were all fun. 

My Rating:   

I really liked playing this game

June 22, 2014 4:03 am  #24

Panopticon: Path of Reflections - SE  (straight SE)

Developer / Producer:    Cyber Cradle / Alawar

Date of Review:               22 June 2014  (played 19 June 2014)

Availability:                       BFG  –  18 June 2014
                                           GameHouse  –  18 June 2014

Story:

Enter a world in which the border between reality and illusion is paper thin and the answer to a mystery will test the limits of human understanding!

Guide Senior Inspector John Perry as he sets out to find magician Andy Fox and his assistant, who vanished into thin air while using a new machine during one of Andy's performances. Explore far off locations in which the unexpected is expected, scour alternate dimensions for clues and hidden objects, and employ your skills as a virtual sleuth to solve cunning puzzles. Along the way, you'll perform magic tricks, interact with the Great Houdini, and outsmart a scheming shop keeper!

The world of Panopticon is filled with twists and turn, and will keep you guessing until the truth is revealed in the final, stunning moment of the game. Are you prepared for an adventure unlike any other?

*    Cleverly hidden objects
    *    Cunningly designed puzzles
    *    Visually stunning locations
    *    Captivating storyline and a surprise ending!

My Review:

The following is what I posted in the Finish your games challenge - 2014  thread after playing the game with my FunPass at GameHouse on Thursday 19 June, the day it was released by both GameHouse and BFG.

The only thing I could find out about Cyber Cradle is that it's located in Belarus - that's the only thing on their website and I assume that's the correct company - so I don't know if this is their first game or not.  If so, it's a fantastic first attempt!    I really liked the graphics and loved the animations.  I found them really smooth, whereas one BFG reviewer found them jerky.    You go to 5 different worlds through a machine and each one is different, which was interesting.   However, it's very straightforward, linear and easy.

My rating is - I liked it but it's nothing special.  The reason why I thought it was nothing special is that I didn't find it very exciting and the HOSs and puzzles were mostly very easy.  The HOSs are all straight lists, but most have a couple of very easy interactions.  The puzzles were all very easy except a few at the end, which required a bit more thought.  The instructions for the puzzles, however, left a lot to be desired and some of the puzzles were trial and error, working out what on earth you were supposed to do!    I ended up skipping 3 - one because it was simply taking too long - one because no matter what I did it wouldn't work and, when I skipped it, I'm sure that the answer was one I'd tried - and one because I simply couldn't work out what you had to do and nothing seemed to work.  None of the puzzles have a Reset button so that made it harder.  But, apart from those 3, the puzzles are super easy, like placing gears in the correct place, but there were only 3 gears !!!! and they went in an almost straight line. 

This is one of those games that make me really glad I have a FunPass - games I want to play but don't want to buy, even with a PCC.  It's not bad for a straight SE but I'd only recommend it if you like the demo, because it is a good game, just not - in my sick state - very exciting, and it is very easy.  It would also be a good choice if you have an expiring PCC and no other games.  Try the demo and, if you like it, then use a PCC, as my impression of the game might have been coloured by the fact that I felt like crap when I played it.    I'll see if I can find my magic wand to wave around and have a review magically appear later today. 

BFG  Stats as at 22 June 2014:

Average rating  –  3.6  –  14 reviews  –
    5 stars  -  3
    4 stars  -  7
    3 stars  -  2
    2 stars  - 
    1 star    -  2
93% recommend the game  –  13 out of 14
Fun Factor  –  4.6
Visual/Sound quality  – 4.6
Level of Challenge  –  4.1
Storyline  – 4.6

What some BFG Reviewers had to say:

mcconnico :    5 stars
Really Enjoyed this Game. The storyline is very good clear and pulls you in, you want to know what's happening, the game play is smooth.
The graphics are clear and clean, with art that is quite lovely to look at. A lot of puzzles, some very simple. HOS are visited twice, simple lists, but sometimes very challenging!
It's nicely told with some good cutscenes.
The ending of the game is intriguing and hints at a sequel. Most of all I liked the last part of the game. I advise everyone to download the full version and go to the end.
I find this game a very cute good, nice game if you want to play something relaxing that doesn't take too long.
Perfect for a punchcard credit.
Thank You to the Developers & Big Fish Games.

Warkeeper :    5 stars
This game provided the most new, unique things to do than I have seen in a very long time. I was very pleasantly surprised. It's definitely worth buying! The storyline could've been a bit better, but all in all, one of the best games I have seen in awhile. Bravo!

BobNewhart :    5 stars
This is a game with unusual characters, interaction, different HO scenes and game play from the norm.
If you play the easiest level it probably will be too simple but it is a super game. You are never quite sure who you are going to meet or deal with next.

pennmom36 :    4 stars
The time machine is a portal that will allow you to jump to different locations as you search for the missing magician and his lovely assistant. The Hidden Object Scenes are slightly interactive list finds where you may have to find a shoe and put it with an existing shoe to make a pair. I really liked the mini games, nothing really new but they were fun and entertaining. One of the games required you to move a red, blue and green lever on a rail to match the placement of the lights shown on a fuse box. The game I really liked was placing three cards around each triangle in order matching the symbols inside the triangle such as a king, a queen, a spade, club, heart and diamond. To move the cards you need to click on the triangles themselves.This game has pretty good graphics although the characters movements are a bit stiff and jerky. There are a decent amount of HOS and games without being overbearing. In my opinion there could have been more to do in each scene and at times the areas of interest are predictable. It's not a bad game especially once you enter the time machine and go into the carnival, enjoy!

sportygal2009 :    4 stars
Story Line: While definitely nothing "new" to this story but I still found it interesting. It held my interest from beginning to end. I didn't stop playing until I reached the end.Fun Factor: Overall this gets 4 stars from me. Yes this does have some flaws but for me this is A LOT better than those so called "CE" games Big Fish has been releasing lately. I enjoyed the 5 hours I spent playing this game for the most part. This was worth the use of my coupon code. If I wouldn't of had a code I would of paid $6.99. Thanks Big Fish and developer. More like this PLEASE and I also THANK YOU for NO animal helpers. Much appreciated.

mrm2006 :    4 stars
There are 2 levels of difficulty - casual and expert. You are given a journal which you should read constantly, as it contains not only notes that will help you along the way, but important clues as well. It really acts as good as a strategy guide. There is no map (transportable or otherwise) and one would have been very handy as there is a LOT of back and forthing. You can choose to take the tutorial lesson or not.When I started playing this game, I was really not interested at all. It was cheesy. The games were easy. The HOGs not difficult at all. The mini games not really much of a challenge. Why, then, when the demo was over, did I feel I had to purchase this game? The mystery of the story? The intrigue? The embedded love triangle? Who knows? I just knew when the demo ended my reaction was "What? No! Not yet!". THAT is my "wow" factor. And that wow factor decides if I purchase a game or not.

My Recommendation:    Yes if you like the demo

I enjoyed playing the game but it was very linear and very easy, including the HOSs and puzzles.  I didn't find it very exciting but the 5 different portals and worlds were interesting. 

I recommend the game if you like the demo, especially if you have an expiring PCC and no other game you'd prefer to get.  It is a good game for a straight SE but nothing very exciting or memorable.

My Rating:

I had fun playing but it’s nothing special

July 31, 2014 9:49 pm  #25

Insane Cold - Back to the Ice Age - SE    (straight SE)

Developer:                        Somer Games  (Dnipropetrovsk, Ukraine - seems to be their first game)

Publisher:                         Mystery Tag

Date of Review:               1 August 2014  (played 31 July 2014)

Genre:                                HOPA

Availability:                       BFG  –  Not yet
                                            GameHouse  –  23 July 2014

Story:

An antique shop amulet has awakened an ancient and terrible evil bringing on the eternal frost. Save mankind from this frigid fate in the chilling hidden object adventure Insane Cold – Back to the Ice Age.

With the purchase of the beautiful antique amulet, the ancient frost giants were unleashed. Your beloved has been kidnapped and you fear the worst. Can you stop the sinister frost giants from their mission of collecting human souls to activate the Star of the Froids? The obstacles and puzzles before you are many and the fate of our planet rests on your shoulders.

Be strong, brave, and keenly clever when you play the free trial version of Insane Cold – Return to the Ice Age today!

*    Follow a unsettling story of evil magic and suspense.
    *    Explore soul-chilling landscapes.
    *    Search 26 hidden object scenes and unravel 14 captivating mini-games.
    *    Learn about and defeat an ancient race of sinister giants.

Options:

*    Music Volume
    *    Sound Volume
    *    Fullscreen
    *    System Cursors

Modes:

*    Casual  -  Hint refills in 30 secs, there's an optional tutorial available
    *    Expert   -  Hint refills in 1 minute, there's no tutorial available
    *    Both modes have unobtrusive sparkles on the HOSs but that's it

Gameplay:

*    You play a guy!!!!   
    *    A lot of adventure with inventory use, HOSs (26) and puzzles (14)
    *    Mainly adventure with some HOSs in the beginning with only 1 or 2 puzzles
    *    Then lots of puzzles in the middle, with fewer near the end
    *    Not too much running around in the beginning as not too many scenes
    *    However, in the second half the world is much bigger and there's more running around
    *    The gameplay wasn't so intuitive in the second half, sometimes going back just for a HOS
    *    I used the Hint a lot more in the second half to save wandering around to find something
    *    A map would have been helpful in the second half when there was more running around
    *    This game was definitely a case of, "How many different ways can you melt ice?"  

Collectibles:    No 
Diary:    Journal that fills in all the gaps in the story - very useful to know what's going on
Graphics:    I loved the graphics and the cutscenes were excellent, although silent and in slo mo
Inventory:    Lockable 
Modes:    2  –  Casual, Expert
Map:    None  –  you have the directional Hint instead, although one would've been useful in the second half
Music:    Very good but repetitive - cuts out after a bit in the cutscenes then eerie silence  (weird) 
Quality:    Great
Sparkles:    Yes  –  in both difficulty modes but only on the HOSs and fairly unobtrusive
Tutorial:    Optional in Casual Mode
Voiceovers:    None  –   text (hard to read - you in blue, others in white), no lip-syncing, but good animation

HOSs:    26

*    I loved all the HOSs, even though they were just straight lists
    *    All straight list with, on average, 15 objects (sometimes 14, sometimes 16), only 6 showing at a time
    *    Interactive objects in red, with between 2 and 7 in red, normally 5 or 6
    *    Be careful as the cursor doesn't always change to a hand to indicate interactive objects
    *    This also happens several times in the normal gameplay
    *    The HOSs are interactive straight lists but they're pretty hard!
    *    I had to use the hint in almost all of them when I simply couldn't find that last object  
    *    The interactions are all different and interesting and some were original
    *    Some interactions needed more than one action (eg. find matches to light a candle)
    *    Some interactions needed more than one object (eg. find several pearls to fix a necklace)
    *    A few objects misnamed - eg. "tube" was always a smoking pipe  (translation error?)
    *    Nearly all the HOSs were repeated once and all the objects you'd found the first time were back
    *    However, any interactive object was as you'd left it - ie. if you'd rebuilt something it was still whole
    *    And the first zoom-in scene (eg. a box) was no longer active and you had a new zoom-in scene
    *    You have to remember what was in a zoom-in area as sometimes one of the objects was listed later

Minigames/Puzzles:    14

*    No puzzles in the beginning and I thought that it was just going to be adventure and HOSs 
    *    Then there were more and more puzzles, a lot in the middle, fewer again towards the end
    *    The puzzles ranged from easy to
    *    Of the 14 puzzles, I only noted 2 as 'Easy'
    *    Quite a few have 'Thinky' or 'Tricky' jotted down next to them in my notes
    *    The first one was easy then they got harder as the game progressed
    *    A few had instructions that had me scratching my head
    *    Trying to work out what you had to do in these ones sure got me thinking
    *    But once I'd worked them out they were only of average difficulty
    *    Some were original but all were fun! 
    *    I ended up skipping one as I'd managed to finish it but everything was upside down
    *    I tried to move everything (a 5x5 grid) up the right way but it was taking too long
    *    I'd done it, albeit the wrong way, so I considered I'd completed it and skipped it 
    *    But I loved all the puzzles! 

Length:

*    This is one looooooooooooong game
    *    It took me all up over 2 days around 10-11 hours
    *    However, I'd have to take out maybe 2 hours for meals and a load of washing
    *    The second half was also played while I was chatting with my mum and watching TV, adding time
    *    However, I was tired and used the Hint to move around in the second half, which shortened the time
    *    So, however long it took, it was a lovely, loooooooooooooooooon game

BFG  Stats as at ?:    (Not yet available at BFG)

Average rating  –  ?  –  ? reviews  –
    5 stars  -  ?
    4 stars  -  ?
    3 stars  -  ?
    2 stars  -  ?
    1 star    -  ?
?% recommend the game  –  ? out of ?
Fun Factor  –  ?
Visual/Sound quality  –  ?
Level of Challenge  –  ?
Storyline  – ?

My Recommendation:    I really liked this game!

I really, really liked playing this game and I loved the graphics and cutscenes!  I also liked the storyline, although I suppose it wasn't anything new or groundbreaking.  But it was fun wondering how you were going to melt the next lot of ice.  I also liked capturing all the souls in the amulet.  I found all the HOSs and puzzles great and loved doing them.  It's a thinky game, having to work out where to go next, and some of the puzzles were real thinky ones - but all were fun. 

My Rating:

I really liked playing this game

August 13, 2014 11:48 pm  #26

Queen's Quest - Tower of Darkness - PE 

Developer:                       Brave Giant Studio

Date of Review:               14 August 2014  (played 12-13 August 2014)

Availability:                      BFG  –  not yet
                                           GameHouse  –  8 August 2014

Other HOPAs by Brave Giant Studio:

Demon Hunter: Chronicles From Beyond - The Untold Story

Story:

The sins of the long-forgotten past return and haunt an otherwise idyllic royal life. Queen's Quest – Tower of Darkness Platinum Edition is a hidden object, fairy tale adventure that will have you on a noble quest.

The new royal parents enjoy a very brief "happily ever after" when their baby daughter is mysteriously taken right from their very arms. More than courage is required to save the young family from the evil power of demons that lurk in the secrets of the past.

As the powerful and determined queen, protect your kingdom and the ones you love the most when you play the free trial version of Queen's Quest – Tower of Darkness Platinum Edition today!

*    Follow the captivating, fairy tale love story.
    *    Earn challenging achievements.
    *    Explore detailed and colorful fairy tale scenes.
    *    Complete all the challenges to unlock the bonus chapter.

Bonus Extras:

*    Bonus chapter
    *    Concept art
    *    Puzzles  (8)  -  only 4 are the thinky ones, doesn't include the one I skipped
    *    Wallpapers  (4)
    *    Music (4)   - can be saved
    *    Movies  (6)  -  cutscenes

Options:

Sliders:
    *    Music Volume
    *    Effects Volume
Simple on/off:
    *    Custome Cursor
    *    Expert Mode  (I had to keep on turning this back on)
    *    Voiceovers
    *    Full Screen

Gameplay:

Collectibles:    Yes  –  each section (4) has a different one - 6 crowns - 5 swords - 6 hooks - 6 apples
Companion:    Fairy  –  stays in inventory and only used a few times
Diary:    Info re what you have to do and gives more info than given in game - no backstory as such
Gameplay:    Usual standard HOPA with one extra object used briefly in bonus chapter
Graphics:    I really liked the graphics although not top notch
Inventory:    Lockable  –  everything goes straight into the inventory - yay!
Modes:    2  –  Expert or not  –  you simply tick Expert in Options if you want to play Expert
Map:    Jump map of each section when you're in that section - you can't return once you've left a section
Morphing Objects:    Several in each HOP - name changes to white when they're showing
Music:    Good
Sparkles:    Yes  –  even in Expert Mode showing HOPs but not too annoying - not on active spots
Tutorial:    Optional
Voiceovers:    Good, with lip-syncing, however, there isn't a lot as you're mostly on your own

Black Bar Tips:

The BBTs are a bit too helpful but they didn't annoy me.

HOPs:     (seemed roughly the same number as minigames but I didn't count them)

*    Straight lists  (except for 2 in the bonus)
    *    4 or 5 green items per HOP
    *    2 or 3 morphing objects plus 2 or 3 interactive objects
    *    The morphing names turned white when the object was showing, green when it wasn't
    *    Very clear graphics
    *    Some were repeated but I'm not sure how many
    *    They're random lists but all green items remain the same
    *    No alternative minigame
    *    You can replay 8 of them in the Extras

Minigames/Puzzles:    22    (at least that's how many you need to complete for the achievement)

*    Very good, original puzzles
    *    The instructions aren't automatically given - you click on the ? if you need help
    *    I needed to read the instructions for most of them as they were original and I wasn't sure what to do
    *    Started out quite easy but seemed to get harder as the game progressed
    *    Some were tricky - I skipped one as I was going around and around in circles and gave up
    *    But all were doable with enough patience
    *    You can replay 8 of them in the Extras

Achievements:

*    Bronze, silver and gold achievements
    *    About 8 different ones in each of the 3 categories
    *    The gold ones are secret achievements and I missed one so don't know what that one was for

Running Around:

*    The game is broken up into 4 areas, plus the bonus area
    *    The first area had 6 locations, the second had 5, the third 6, the fourth more than 6, the bonus 3
    *    Once you've completed one area and move on to the next you can't go back
    *    Hence there isn't much running around as so few locations in each area

Difficulty:

The gameplay itself wasn't very challenging, especially as there were so few locations in each area, so you never have to remember too much in any one area.  The HOPs also weren't very challenging but they were fun with the interactive objects and the morphing objects.  Some of the puzzles, on the other hand, were challenging.  But they were all fun and I loved them all - especially the really original ones - except for the one that I gave up on and skipped as I was just going around and around in circles and I didn't have the patience to continue.  It was one with 3 overlapping circles and you have to get the same-coloured balls in each of the circles - red, purple and green - and in this game they were big circles with lots of balls.

Length:

*    The main game was looooooooong - somewhere over 7 hours, maybe as much as 8 or 9 hours
    *    But I'm a really slow, smell-the-roses-and-enjoy-the-view player
    *    I only skipped one minigame and only used the hint a few times when I'd missed a hotspot or HOS
    *    I can't believe it was that long but I played for 7 hours yesterday and an hour or two the day before
    *    But I was also helping Mum with crosswords at the same time and took short meal/potty breaks
    *    HOWEVER, the bonus chapter was only 25 minutes!

Bonus chapter:

*    Only 25 minutes
    *    In a new section of the castle
    *    You save your baby daughter in the main game, your husband in the bonus chapter
    *    The main game ends conclusively and I'd forgotten all about my frozen-statue husband
    *    Some totally new aspects of gameplay to the main game
    *    For example, 2 different HOPs
    *    One was flower silhouettes, which was really easy as you just have to click on all the flowers
    *    Another was a cut-out puppet scene where you had to place the missing objects in the correct spots
    *    Then you hit Start and it's an interactive scene where one thing starts another thing, etc
    *    For example, water pours onto a pot, a plant grows, a bird flies down, etc.
    *    I loved that one
    *    Another element was introduced that you use briefly and that wasn't in the main game
    *    Spoiler:  ** a magnifying glass that you use to find invisible balls of wool hidden in 2 rooms **
    *    You also have to make a choice - to help the mouse or the cat
    *    You have 2 objects in your inventory - the unnecessary one disappears
    *    You simply get the same inventory item in one of 2 possible ways
    *    As you can play the bonus chapter separately, I replayed it straightaway, making the other choice
    *    I loved one of the puzzles in the bonus, and it was quite challenging

My Recommendation:    Yes, if you like the demo - nice long game - but not the CE

If you like what you play in the demo I can definitely recommend this game.  I liked the game more and more the more I played.  However, with only a 25-min bonus chapter and no SG, even though the different gameplay in the bonus chapter was interesting and you get to save your husband, I'd only recommend the SE.  However, I think BFG will offer this game as an SE, just as they did with Brave Giant Studio's first HOPA (Demon Hunter: Chronicles From Beyond - The Untold Story), with the collectibles and achievements but - I think - without the bonus chapter (I got the CE from Legacy Games for $2.95 so I'm not sure).  If so, it would be great value for money and you only get to save your husband in the bonus game, so no biggie.  Also, there are only the usual extras - wallpapers, concept art, music, etc - plus 8 replayable HOPs and 8 replayable puzzles (only 4 of which were the thinky ones) - so the extras aren't worth the price of the CE if they're not included in the SE. 

This game has all the bells and whistles to make a great game - good HOPs and puzzles, morphing objects in the HOPs, achievements, collectibles, voiceovers with lip-syncing, good graphics and music, nice and long - however, it just didn't hit the spot for me.  I'm not really sure why but I think it might be because the story is same ol' same ol', been there done that, and the story and gameplay were just too simple.  There are only a few locations per area and there's nothing complicated, with no twists or surprises.  But it does have some great things going for it and I really liked it, mainly because of the original puzzles, morphing objects in the HOPs, and different collectibles.  The simple story and gameplay don't add much.

For only their second HOPA, I think Brave Giant Studio did a wonderful job and I'm really looking forward to their next one.  I checked on their website this morning and this game is only listed as "Coming Soon" and has a totally different name.

My Rating:   

I really liked this game.   

August 25, 2014 6:49 pm  #27

The Other Side - Tower of Souls  (straight SE)

Developer:                       Tiki's Lab

Publisher:                        Alawar

Date of Review:               25 August 2014  (played 24-25 August 2014)

Availability:                      BFG  –  16 July 2014
                                           GameHouse  –  18 July 2014

Other HOPAs by Tiki's Lab:

E.P.I.C. Wishmaster Adventures
Spirit Seasons: Little Ghost Story
Time Dreamers: Temporal Betrayal
Time Dreamer
Travel League: The Missing Jewels

Online Games:

Bloodfield
Paraspammer
Evilmaze

Games Created With Their Engine (by Foxy Games):

Mystic Legacy: The Great Ring
Secret Trails: Frozen Heart CE

Story:

A little sibling rivalry can be healthy - except when the fate of the world hangs in the balance!

Beatrice and Lily might look like any other pair of sisters, but they have a dark secret. Hidden from human eyes is a magic tower that contains a portal to the Other Side. One sister wants to open the gateway to gain knowledge and power, regardless of the consequences; the other sister wants to stop her. But which one is good and which one is evil?

Step into the shoes of a detective who must decide which sister will win in the end. Can you resolve a family squabble before the gates to the realm of the dead swing open and horrors beyond imagination pour into this world?

*    Captivating story of magic and suspense
    *    Stunning artwork, story scenes, and music
    *    Simple and fun puzzles and mini-games
    *    Clever and original hidden object hunts
    *    A learn-as-you-play tutorial

Options:

I loved the look of the Options Menu box - little icons rather than words with wings on the 2 slider bars.

*    Sound  (icon)
    *    Music  (icon)
    *    Full Screen
    *    Use Custom Cursor
    *    Diary Preview

Gameplay:

Achievements:    34  (I missed 5)
Collectibles:    Yes  –  over 100 cat pawprints (various forms, in scenes and HOPs, very well hidden)
Companion:    Cat  –  snarky but tells you what to do as well as fantastic comments when you stuff up
Diary:    Sheets with story, current task on top, evidence board to right (hover over to read each one)
Graphics:    Excellent
Hint:    Directional  (I think)
Inventory:    Plus items (no indication in hard mode); hover cursor over an item to find what to do with an it
Modes:    2  –  not named, just choose left or right, easy or hard
Map:    None
Quality:    Excellent
Sparkles:    Yes  –  easy mode
Tutorial:    Learn as you go
Voiceovers:    Good, with no lip-syncing that I recall

What I posted earlier in the Finish your games challenge - 2014 thread:

I've just finished The Other Side - Tower of  Souls.  7 hours of sheer brilliance!  What a fantastic game!  I know that Tee only thought it was "ok" but wow, what a stupendous game!

If you want lots of hard puzzles, challenging HOPs, really funny and different comments (both different to other games and lots of different ones in the game), fantastic graphics, smooth gameplay, super attention to detail, some really fun moments, with some challenging achievements, an unknown number of collectibles (there's an achievement for getting 100 but I got about 105 and still couldn't buy everything in the shop), and 3 - yes, three, it wasn't a typo - endings, then play this fantastic game!  It's now one of my favs.

And:

Oscar
, The Other Side: Tower of  Souls is a straight SE; there's no CE.  It has all the bells and whistles of a CE minus a WT and bonus chapter.  But at 7 hours it's longer than most CEs, including their bonus chapters!  How cool is that?

One thing I forgot to mention about Tower of Souls is that there are only 2 difficulty modes, which aren't named.  You simply choose one side or the other.  I loved the setup of the choice as there are little icons as well as words, which I found very original and which I loved.

The easier choice:

*    Sparkles provide hints
    *    Quick Hints
    *    Easy Minigames
    *    Easy HOPs

The harder choice:

*    No Sparkles
    *    Slow Hints
    *    Hard Minigames
    *    Well Hidden Objects

I chose the harder option and wow, some of the minigames were easy but most were hard!  Several I had to do several times to complete.  There are several arcade-type ones and in one you have to move one object around, bumping into an object with the colour it changes into.  Every time I couldn't avoid bumping into another colour, all the objects returned without a break and I had to virtually start from scratch.  That took about 4 or 5 goes until I managed to get all the colours.  You also play Reversi and there's an achievement for not being beaten by the game.  Well, I certainly didn't get that achievement as I got beaten 3 or 4 times until I finally managed to get into a corner and win.  Phew. 

I haven't tried the easier mode but the puzzles lend themselves to having an easy mode.  So perfect for both gamers who'd prefer easier puzzles and those who love harder ones.  Each puzzle has a Skip but no Reset button, not that you really need it.  The only other games I've seen with a choice of harder or easy puzzles are some of ERS' games but there's not that much difference and the harder option still isn't hard.  But in this game Hard really means Hard.  Not impossible, just much harder than normal and they take a lot longer and require more thought than the usual puzzles, especially the latest trend of really making games simple with simple puzzles. 

The HOPs in the harder mode are also hard!  And they take a long time.  I imagine the difference is that in the harder mode the interactive objects aren't highlighted.  So you don't know which ones you have to find and which ones you'll have to search for - eg. you might have to find lots of different keys to open lots of little doors to find more keys for the other doors, etc.  Or you might have to pull on a lever several times as it keeps on turning to another door, or whatever.  You might also have to open lots of things.  I absolutely loved every HOP.  Even though they were all straight lists with no variety, they were so much fun that I loved it every time I came across one.  They're highly interactive and so much fun!

There are 24 HOPs but, unfortunately, only 12 minigames, although it felt like there were a lot more.  Perhaps because they took so long to do and weren't simple ones that were over in a few minutes, especially the ones that I had to play several times.  Of the 12 minigames, I noted one as Easy Peasy, one as Easy, 2 as Medium, and 6 as Hard (but not impossible, just thinky or hard arcade ones).  Some of them were original, whereas others were harder versions of old minigames.  This is the only game that I really, really wish offered replayable minigames, I found them that much fun.

There's no map but you don't need one as the whole game is firstly getting into a tower and then you simply go from one level up to the next.  Each level only has a few different rooms and the object is to get past the barrier that's stopping you from getting to the next level.  It sounds simple but, believe me, it isn't.  There also aren't any BBTs as if you click on your cat sidekick - snarky and very sarcastic but funny - you get hints, sometimes a lot more than I liked, though, as speech from him (very, very good voiceovers but no lip-syncing that I recall).

But playing the game 3 times to get each ending????  It's the only game I can imgaine replaying straight away as it was that good and I know that it wouldn't take 7 hours the second and third times through, especially if I played in the easier mode, but still, 3 times????  You have a choice right at the end of how you want it to all end.  Choosing each one gives you a different ending.  In my choice ** I died to save the world **.  However, if you choose the other option you ** play a game with the protagonist and if you win or lose ** you apparently get 2 different endings.  And no one's mentioned the different endings in the forums, other than discussing how many there are.  Bummer, as I have so many unplayed games that I really don't think I should replay this long one.

I missed 5 of the achievements - the Reversi one as I've already mentioned; one for completing the game without using the Hint or Skip buttons (I accidentally hit the Hint button instead of the shopping trolley to go to the Upgrade Shop, as they're right next to each other, so missed that achievement); one for collecting all the evidence (you have an evidence board next to the journal pages but I have no idea how I could have missed any!); one for not finding every page from Beatrice's journal (once again, I thought I'd clicked on every piece of paper I found); and obviously the one for earning every achievement.

ETA:  There are some misnamed or weird-looking objects in the HOPs.  For example, in 2 HOPs near the end you have to find molds and they're simply glass or white cubes (?).  Also, a coin purse is actually a wallet; 2 honeycombs are actually one comb and one brush; a soccer ball is a baseball; a brooch is a scorpion brooch (sneaky!); a horn is one beetle's horn (sneaky); 2 baits are actually 2 fish keyrings.

Miscellaneous:

*    Click on everythings when the cursor changes to an eye - Boris' comments are really funny!
    *    "My" (the main character) comments are also funny
    *    You have to love reading - Boris pops up and comments ALL the time
    *    Watch Boris dancing to the music on the steps in the background in one scene - so good
    *    Started out more MGs than HOPs, then suddenly lots of HOPs with hardly any MGs
    *    Eyes - lots of them in scenes and HOPs - always follow you and some blink

Some funny comments by Boris (the cat) when you use an inventory item incorrectly (there are so many different ones!) that show other developers how to make these comments fun and not annoying:

"I'm proud of you but let's try and think of something better."
"Okay, let's try Plan B.  You have a Plan B, right?"
"Ah, the renowned scientific method.  Alas, it doesn't work."
"Are you okay?  You look pale and are doing strange things."
"I've always said that Greenpeace isn't as peaceful as it sounds."  -  Political commentary

Recommendation:

I recommend this game 100%.  It shows how good a game can really be with really smooth gameplay that's long - 7 hours - without being filled with running back and forth, and a fantastic choice of both simple or hard HOPs and minigames, all of which were really fun and very well done.

Rating:   

I loved, LOVED, LOVED this game!

Last edited by stusue (August 25, 2014 11:47 pm)

August 27, 2014 5:44 am  #28

Fear for Sale 1: Mystery of McInroy Manor  (SE of CE)

Developer:                       EleFun

Date of Review:               27 August 2014  (played 27 August 2014)

Availability:                      BFG  –  CE  –  18 November 2010
                                           BFG  –  SE  –  24 December 2010

Games in the Fear for Sale Series:

18.11.10    Fear for Sale 1: Mystery at McInroy Manor CE
08.12.11    Fear for Sale 2: Sunnyvale CE
04.08.13    Fear for Sale 3: Nightmare Cinema CE
03.04.14    Fear for Sale 4: Phantom Tide CE

Story:

Emma Roberts has been tasked with writing a story about an old haunted manor for Fear for Sale Magazine. The estate has been locked up for years, but a sizable donation from Emma’s editor has opened up the home for exploration. Unravel the tale of the demise of the McInroy family, and set their souls free in Fear for Sale – Mystery of McInroy Manor, a dark and mysterious Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure game.

*    Dark, immersive atmosphere
    *    Perplexing puzzles
    *    Explore the McInroy Estate!

Warning:    You see the original suicide of a ghost.

Options:

*    Music Volume
    *    Sound Volume
    *    Fullscreen
    *    Custom Cursor
    *    Defaults

Gameplay:

Achievements:    None
Collectibles:    None
Diary:    Running story commentary with extra info, pictures from the game, and puzzle codes, etc.
Graphics:    Good
Hint:    Directional  –  very fast refill when it directs you to another screen; slower otherwise
Inventory:    No plus items
Modes:    1 –  no choice, with constant sparkles on all active areas
Map:    None
Sparkles:    Yes  –  constant on all active areas, including interactive areas in HOSs
Tutorial:    Optional
Voiceovers:    None

Black Bar Tips:

*    Sometimes just states the obvious, eg. the door's locked
    *    Sometimes gives too much info, eg. I need a key
    *    At least once said there was nothing more to do in that scene and that I should come back later

HOSs:    22

*    All challenging as the objects were very well hidden
    *    Objects small, some colour on same colour, junkpile, some areas black and white not colour
    *    Some very cleverly hidden
    *    Only one was repeated
    *    Nearly half had one interactive area, eg. open a cupboard, zoom in to an area, etc.
    *    Nearly half stayed open as normal zoom-in areas once everything was found - different
    *    All fun as I really liked the challenge

Minigames/Puzzles:    11

*    All very easy but fun
    *    Eg. when doing the 2 jigsaw puzzles you don't need to turn any of the pieces

Length:    3:45 hours

It took me about 3 hours 45 minutes.  I skipped no minigames, used the Hint button a few times for that last hidden object in a few of the HOSs, and used the Hint button near the end to move around as I was getting tired and couldn't remember where all the different areas were as there were lots of different areas all over the grounds.

Recommendation:    Yes, if you like the demo

I recommend this game if you like pretty simple, straightforward HOPAs with challenging, somewhat junkpile HOSs but really simple puzzles.  It wasn't linear and it was easy to forget where each area was found in the manor house and grounds, especially with no map (the Hint was very helpful), but the gameplay and inventory use was pretty simple.  I also recommend it if you want to have all the games in this series, but I don't think you need it as an introduction to the series; you just have to know that you play a journalist for the Fear for Sale magazine, and have been sent to do a story about a haunted house.

Rating:   
I liked playing this game but it's nothing special

June 21, 2017 1:11 pm  #29

The Legacy: Forgotten Gates - PE

Developer:    FIVE-BN UK

Date of Review:    21 June 2017  (played 20-21 June 2017)

Genre:    HOPA

Released:    BFG:  11 March 2017   -   GH:  26 May 2017

Story:

Late one night, Diana hears a noise at a strange new museum exhibit. It’s the start of a grand adventure as Diana is transported to a parallel world where a lost Mayan civilization is flourishing. This other world was once connected to our world, but now the gates have been reopened. Only Shaash the Gatekeeper can help Diana return home, but it will not be easy. Diana must face many challenges as she journeys through the lush Endless River Valley. Explore a new world! Meet a unique culture, observe wondrous animals, and solve serious challenges to not only find a way home, but to save Diana’s world as well in this heart-pounding hidden-object puzzle adventure!
Earn achievements to showcase your skills.

• Play as a new hero in the thrilling bonus chapter!
  • Find lots of hidden collectibles and morphing objects!
  • Enjoy bonus puzzles, wallpapers, concept art, soundtracks and more.
  • Never get lost with the strategy guide.

Extras:

9  wallpapers
10  concept art
18  videos
  8  music
18  minigames  (no replay of HOPs and they're all brilliant!)
  6  puzzles  (the completion of each of 6 collections gives one jigsaw puzzle)
20  levels of a minigame if you collect all 8 story scrolls

Collectibles:

8  stone heads 
  7  pyramids
  8  decorated skulls
  7  deity statues
  8  story scrolls  (that give you background information)
30  morphing objects  (one per scene - really small and some are really hard to spot!)
12  clay flaks  (the only collectibles in the bonus game, really easy to spot!)

Completing each of the collections (one per scene, fairly easy to spot) - stone heads, pyramids, decorated skulls, deity statues and clay flasks - will give you one jigsaw puzzle in Extras, and they're not easy!  Each picture is broken up into squares and you have to swap them to get the picture but you don't know what the pictures are and there are no starting pieces.  You also get one achievement per collection, including the morphing objects, which give you nothing else. 

If you collect all the 8 story scrolls you get one extra minigame with 20 levels - you have to move the playing piece around 20 different boards, moving in a straight line until it hits an obstacle, filling the entire board.  Not easy!!!!

Achievements:    21

All are earned and include 1 for each collection, 2 or 3 for things in Extras, 1 for playing in Hard Mode, and 1 for playing both the MG and BG with no hints!  I only missed out on 2 - 1 for not finishing a MG in less than 12 moves (see below in Minigames) - 1 for not finishing a HOP in under 2 mins (but I think that one would only be possible if you replayed the game immediately and remembered all the moves as they take a lot of time!)

Gameplay:

Touch:    One
Icon Changes:    Can't turn off and can't turn off icons showing with system cursor
Helpful Messages:    Can't turn off and they give way TMI (but sometimes needed)
Plus-Item Indicators:    Can't turn off
Difficulty Modes:    The usual 4
Voiceovers:    Very good and I have a voice (female)
Lip-Syncing:    Very good!
Graphics:    Very good hand drawn but not crystal clear
Animation:    Cutscene graphics and animation just like LFAs - excellent but blurry
Music:    Very good - Sth American (Mayan civilisation) - and a lot of it, unlike the recent trend
Ambient:    Very good - birds, etc. - and I loved the rumbling of the rocks!
BBTs:    TMI but sometimes not so bad
Tasks:    None given - look in the extra things in Menu
Inventory:    Must click to close box - left/right arrows moves the entire box, not just one item
Conversation:    Auto forward
Extra Scene Clicks:    None
Diary:    Almost all puzzle hints go there and you have to check to play puzzle
             The entire story with pictures also updated as you play - yay!

HOPs:    Challenging and fun!

They're all the same - progressive silhouette - but boy are they hard!!!!  Each one takes place in an entire room and they're all like huge minigames.  Some also had little puzzles.  I got stuck on one in the BG and had to leave and go back to it.  It was so frustrating as I could see what I needed where but couldn't find the next move and, as I wanted the 2 achievements for not using hints and playing in Hard Mode (no hints), and as the solution wasn't in the SG, I had no help.  I eventually just kept clicking and clicking and clicking with the few objects I had everywhere! and finally hit the sweet spot (I'd already clicked there heaps of times but not in the perfect spot) and could finish.   They're all challenging and fun!  Also, on more than one occasion, I didn't even realise it was a HOP until I couldn't find either the collectible or morphing objects, then looked down the bottom of the screen and saw all the little black silhouettes.  Oops!

Minigames:    from relatively easy to OMG!

Lots and for only a few of them do you collect the solution/hints that you stick there when you play them.  For most, the solution/hints go in the diary and you have to check that out when you want to play (yay!).  I'd also suggest a pen and paper for a couple of them - I couldn't remember some of the more complicated patterns.  They also range from relatively easy to some that are really challenging!  I cheated with the SG one or twice.  There are also achievements for some of the minigames and I missed out on one - I should have checked the SG and followed that as you can replay the puzzles but I wanted to do it myself.  Silly me!  You had to finish it in under 12 moves and I think I must have taken at least 50!  It's one where you have to turn 4 dials so that all 4 point into the middle and not a singe one doesn't turn at least one other dial - 1 turns 1 other, 1 turns 2, 1 turns 3, 1 turns all 4.  Not a single one was super easy and not a single was was boring!

Bonus Game:

I found it harder than the main game - both HOPs and MGs - and there were more HOPs than in the main game.  It's also a totally separate story that has nothing to do with the main story - it's simply set in the same world that you (the protagonist) was sent to in the main game, with (I think) one same character in that world, the shaman, but all new scenes.  It was about 90 mins and excellent but, as it's a totally different story, not needed to complete the main game - ie. the SE would be enough.

Comments:

The main game has 30 scenes and it's really confusing moving around as it's really complicated, most scenes giving you 3 options - going back a scene, or having a choice of 2 or 3 options to move forward.  You also go down into cellars, through caves, through secret entrances, and take a raft across a river.  I played the game over 2 days and the second day I was totally lost and couldn't for the life of me remember how to get to where I needed to go.  It's also not like a lot of games where you finish one area then move on - eg. in Chapter 4 or 5 I needed some cactus juice but do you think I could find any?  I visited every location in that area, trying all my inventory items, but couldn't find it.  So I checked out the SG and was reminded that there was a cactus plant in the second scene of the game!  After 4 hours over 2 days I'd totally forgotten all about it.  Then I had to try and find my way back there!  And this wasn't the only time I got an inventory item and had to backtrack back to where I'd been hours earlier!  And, as the game opens up, there's obviously a lot more backtracking, given that you often have to go back to a scene you'd been in ages before.

You have to have a really good memory as you might have things in Inventory for 3 or 4 hours until you need them.  However, you do get to keep your very handy machete for the entire game!  And you use it often.  You don't have to continually find something that will cut.

Quite often when you place an inventory item you get a complete cutscene to see it happen.  I loved that!

I hated having the plus items indicated but one interaction was really cool.  I picked up a smouldering stick and clicked on the smouldering end and heard myself blow on it each time I clicked until it caught fire.  I loved that as it's something I've never seen/heard before.

Play Time   MG = about 5 hours   -   BG = about 1.5 hours

I played in Hard Mode (no map markings at all, that is no active areas marked), didn't use any hints at all (wanted the achievement), and never used the map to fast travel (I prefer to trek all over the world as you would in RL).

Recommendation   a resounding YES!  SE or CE!

I recommend either the SE or CE but I think the CE is really good value - long, excellent bonus game, lots of collectibles and some of the morphing objects were really hard to spot, being both very small and they could be anything - sometimes a little leaf, or quite often a pattern changes slightly.  There's also a reason for collecting things, other than just for an achievement - you get 6 challenging jigsaw puzzles and 20 levels of another, very challenging minigame. 

The game is also of exceptional quality, the story's original, the gameplay is also challenging, as are the HOPs and minigames.  It's also FUN!

June 23, 2017 12:21 pm  #30

Surface 11: Strings of Fate - CE

Developer:    Elephant Games

Date of Review:    23 June 2017  (played 22-23 June 2017)

Genre:    HOPA

Released:    BFG:  3 June 2017   -   GH:  Not yet

Series:

1.  The Noise She Couldn't Make
  2.  Mystery of Another World
  3.  The Soaring City
  4.  The Pantheon
  5.  Game of Gods
  6.  Reel Life
  7.  Return to Another World
  8.  Alone in the Mist
  9.  Lost Tales
10.  Virtual Detective
11.  Strings of Fate  (this one)

Story:

Elephant Games brings you the latest installment of the Surface series!

Your little sister has been kidnapped by two Brothers of Fate! With the help of a third Brother, it’s up to you to save her. With the odds stacked against you, can you find a way into another world and rescue her in time?! Find out in this spell-binding hidden-object puzzle adventure!

• How far would you go to save the one you love in the bonus game?
  • If you need a hand, reference the comprehensive strategy guide.
  • Collect hidden dolls to unlock stories for each major character.
  • Find hidden flowers to unlock extra HOPs in the Secret Room.
  • Enjoy concept art, wallpapers, soundtrack, replayable HOPs, mini-games, and more!

Extras:

10  wallpapers  (have logo)
10  concept art  (have logo, can save)
  1  screensaver
  0  videos
  5  music  (can save)
13  minigames  (I don't think that's all of them?)
14  HOPs  (I'm not sure if that's all of them?)

Collectibles:

65  flowers  (164 flowers to play the Secret Room)
12  morphing objects  (the 12 characters in the game, found as you meet the characters)

The flowers were quite tricky to spot.  Only 2 colours in this game, not the usual 3, and anything from 1 to 3 in each scene, with some scenes also having a flower hidden (camouflaged!) on a note, as per usual.  There were red flowers hidden on red-coloured objects and blue flowers hidden on blue-coloured objects.  Collecting them allowed you to play the 3 extra HOPs in the Secret Room (see below).

The morphing objects are cute little dolls, one for each of the 12 characters in the game, including the protagonist (you).  Not every scene has one; you find them when you meet each character.  They are quite large and very easy to spot.  If you go to Collectibles in Extras you'll find them all on shelves and if you click on them you get quite a bit of background info for each one - eg. how they came to be in the Game.

There's no collectible indicator on the Inventory Bar but the map shows if there are any collectibles to be found in each scene (a gold trophy).  I found them all but I think someone said that you can't go back to get any you missed, either once you'd finished the game or once an area had been finished and you'd moved on.  In one scene in the BG (when I, as a different character, met Death), I clicked on a flower that triggered a cutscene then, before I knew it, I was kicked out of that scene and into the 'Game'.  Given that I'd met Death, I hoped that I'd end back there again at the end and I did, whereupon I could get the collectibles.

Secret Room:

Simply 3 extra HOPs (with 24 objects to find) to you "earn" by collecting the usual collectible flowers in Surface games.  You have the choice of playing each one when you have collected enough flowers to play them.  You can play them as often as you like to beat your best time.  I played each one once when I earned it to find out where everything was, then replayed each one straight away and my best times for the 3 were: 40 secs, 31 secs, 32 secs respectively.  And that's it!  Nothing exception, especially considering the 3 had no interactions.  The first was a straight list, the second was silhouettes, and the third was a straight list using a torch with only a small area that was lit up.

Achievements:    9  (1 x 6 levels, 2 x 5 levels, 2 x 3 levels)

All are earned and are displayed as various objects.  I missed 2 - 2 HOP ones - and you can't earn them in Extras when you replay the HOPs.  I missed - 10 HOPs in a row in under 3 mins each - 1 HOP in under 1 min.  Bummer!

Gameplay:

Touch:    One
Icon Changes:    Can turn off
Helpful Messages:    Can turn off and you get absolutely nothing!!!!  None of those stupid Eipix comments!
Plus-Item Indicators:    Can't turn off, not even just when active!  Elephant will often have that option.
Difficulty Modes:    The usual 4
Voiceovers:    Very good and I have a voice (female)
Lip-Syncing:    Very good!
Graphics:    Very good but not crystal clear  (except the maze MG, and they're amazing!)
Animation:    Very good but a tad blurry
Music:    Very good and eerie - when there isn't any music there's a constant eerie noise
Ambient:    Very good - eg. rattling chains
BBTs:    None - but lots of comments (Elephant normally has nothing at all)
Tasks:    Grrrr - large Task Box that auto shows and disappears - or click on the ! on the Invent. Bar
Inventory:    Straight in - unlocks each time I entered a new world and I had to lock it again - weird
Conversation:    Auto forward
Extra Scene Clicks:    None
Diary:    None

HOPs:   

Some good variety and, given that I didn't get the achievement for 10 HOPs in a row in under 3 mins each, not all that easy!  Some were challenging, some easier, but all fun.

One was a riddle one but this one had the hardest riddles I've come across in any game!  I had to really think about some of them.

One was 100% interactive list but I didn't need to look at the list.  Each one was either put 2 things together (eg. scissors), or find things to use (eg. smash a vase with a hammer, open a cage with a key).

One brilliant, highly original (at least I've never come across it before) HOP in the BG - there are mirrors on a wall, all different shapes and sizes, some broken in 2.  As you click on each mirror/half, you either get an entire object, part of an object, or nothing.  You have to click around, either finding the whole objects, or clicking until you find all the parts of an object (which might consist of 2 or 4 parts).  But not every object, either whole or parts, is on the list, so you keep on clicking until you've found everything.  I loved it!

Minigames:    The first one was relatively easy... then OMG!

Some of the minigames were real thinky ones!  And quite a few were very original and fun, fun, fun!  I think there are more minigames than HOPs, although there's one more HOP than MGs in Extras, so I don't think all the MGs can be replayed(?).  As a whole the MGs were much more challenging that the recent trend of easy peasy MGs with more challenging HOPs.

One MG, the feather puzzle in the cave, I was sure I'd done correctly but it didn't accept it.  So I looked in the SG and jotted down the solution.  I then reset the MG and, without following the SG, got the same result but it worked that time.  So there must be a glitch.

A lot of the MGs were original or had an added twist that made them different, eg. the maze.  You have a map but there are lots of ways to make your way through and, if you chose incorrectly at a junction (which I only did once), only then do you find out that you'd gone the wrong way - I had a log come hurtling down at me! - then you have to start from the beginning again, remembering way you'd gone.  From them on I always chose the route that was the longest way around and I made it straight through.  But the graphics at each junction were amazing, IMHO definitely the best in the entire game - beautiful, crystal clear jungle scenes with huge carved stone heads etc. - absolutely stunning!  Hint - start left and then take the longest route; not the shortest, most obvious route.

There are several 'timing' MGs and you have to time things perfectly!!!!  You have to have the patience of Job, trying over and over and over again until you get it just right.

There was one MG - the Colour Wheel - where I wasn't sure what the solution was supposed to be and there was no picture in the SG, just the steps to complete it.  So I jotted down the steps, followed them and, when I made the last move it was suddenly all over and I never saw the actual finished colour wheel (which is why there's probably no screen shot in the SG) and so I still have no idea what I was supposed to or what the objective was.  I found it confusing as the instructions (as for several of the MGs) weren't very clear and it worked in a really weird way.

Some of the MGs, even if they looked simple, had a twist that added an extra level of challenge.  For example, there were 5 cards, each with half a symbol on both left/right sides.  Simple, right?  Seen that MG several times before.  However, this time you could not only swap the cards around (by clicking on 2 cards) but you could also turn each card around (by clicking on the rings on the fingers).  This made it more complicated as you never knew which was the correct side of the card.  It still wasn't difficult but took longer and added just that little bit of challenge.

SE:    Took me about 6 hours - Custom Mode - no cursor, no hints or skips, very little map/SG use

The SE ends very well and conclusively with a relatively long cutscene.  However, right at the end of the cutscene, one of the 3 Fate brothers (I can't remember which one and I can't check by looking at the videos as they're not included in Extras) says that it's now his turn.  If it's Gray, then it leads into the BG and may not be shown in the SE ending.  If it wasn't Gray, however, then I don't know what it meant.

I loved the final Boss battle at the end of the main game!  There are 4 different MGs, all of which were thinky ones, with increasing difficulty.  I loved them all!

Bonus Game:    Took me about 2:15 hours

The story follows on from the main game but is a totally different story and so isn't necessary, just very good!  The story is:

Now that Gray realises that you can win the Game and survive (as the Ross sisters did in the main game), he wants to go to Death and bring Lyanna (you come across messages from her in the main game) back from the Land of the Dead so they can both be together in life.  You play as Gray.

I really liked the BG - long, of the same high quality as the main game, and I found the adventure part even more challenging than the main game, especially as I play with touch and therefore no cursor at all to show me where the active areas are.  I was stumped a lot more than in the main game and had to refer to the map and SG more often - some things I simply wouldn't have guessed.  There were also a lot more objects in the inventory at any one time.

And there was a new way to get rid of cobwebs!  You don't need a broom, etc, but rather a spider!  There was also a new way to lift a log.  You tie a rope to the log and to a ghostly horse then set off a firecracker!  There were a few unexpected inventory uses like these 2 examples.

One unexpected comment that made me laugh started thus: "Who would've thunk it?"  LOL.

You also play a HOP by selecting an inventory item with a little HOP icon - a magnifying glass in the usual plus-item indicator circle.  However, when you were told that, it sounded like they were pointing this out to you so you'd know the next time you saw it, but that was the only one.  That was really odd.

It ends conclusively with a good (albeit short) minigame, then a cutscene that ties up all the loose ends, except I don't get the ending.  I found it ambiguous.  Is it supposed to be ambiguous or was it perhaps suggesting a sequel...

Who was the guy at the end?  He looked like the guy on the wharf in both the MG and BG.  And where was Death sending the 2 brothers?  To the Land of the Dead?  Who was the guy from there?

Comments:

I loved the game!  It was long, challenging - a lot more than most recent games - and fun!  You have to think, however, if you play in Casual Mode, or use hints, and don't turn off Icon Changes or Helpful Messages, then it won't be so challenging.  It's a game that can truly be catered to everyone.  It also had some original HOPs and MGs, or twists on some old ones that added some challenge.

Play Time   MG = about 6 hours   -   BG = about 2:15 hours

I played in Custom Mode, turning off Icon Changes (although I play with touch and turn off the Custom Cursor, which means that I have no cursor at all) as well as all Helpful Messages, don't skip any MGs, and keep any reference to the Map or SG down to a minimum, only when I'm absolutely stumped and have no idea where to go or what to do.

Recommendation   a resounding YES!  SE or CE!

I recommend either the SE or CE.  The BG is excellent and long, with some of my fav HOPs and MGs, but the SE ends conclusively.  It would be a choice as to whether you find collectibles (flowers - tricky - and morphing objects - give you background info about each character in the game) and being able to replay the HOPs and MGs enough to warrant getting the CE.  I don't count the Secret Room as counting in this game as it's only 3 extra HOPs, and they're not even interesting ones!  Nothing like those in the actual game.

Reasons you may not want to get the game:

-  if you have a spider phobia (although there's only one that you have to handle)

-  if you have a problem with shrunken heads (you collect some then play a MG with them)

-  if you have problems with (a) 'timing' minigames, where you have to time your clicks perfectly, as there are several of those, or (b) if you have problems controlling the mouse to follow a symbol with your cursor, although there's only one of those, and you can't bear to skip any minigames, whether not to miss out on an achievement or just on principle.

Board footera