Finish Your Games Challenge

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 20, 2014 4:23 am  #11

Re: StuSue's Reviews

Zombie Jewel

Developer/Publisher:  Tagstar Games  (Manchester, UK)

Date of Review:  20 April 2014  (game finished 19 April 2014)

Genre:  Match 3

Availability:  Released by GameHouse - 14 January 2014  -  BFG - 21 April 2014.

Story:

You're surrounded by zombies and lost in the city! Join Dan and his many helpers to save Zoe from the zombie apocalypse in Zombie Jewel, a mishmash of match-3 mayhem. You've been warned!

What began as a quiet night in the city has turned into a zombie infested run for your life. With quick wit and watchful eyes, gain support and companions in the fight to find Dan's girlfriend Zoe and save her from a most awful fate.

*  Enjoy fantastic, fast-paced match-3 gameplay
  *  Play 100 challenging levels
  *  Deploy multiple power-ups on each board
  *  Engage with a variety of friendly characters and countless crazy zombies

Gameplay

Modes:       1 - Swap
Levels:       100
Powerups:  4
Timed:        Yes, but the timer goes up - the quicker you are the more $ you get to buy/use powerups
Difficulty:    Easy, especially with no countdown timer
Graphics:   Good, clear, with fun, bright colours
Sound:       Good with quirky music to match the zombie theme, although I played muted
Goal:          Remove all yellow squares and get a certain number of different coloured jewels per level

Overview:

I found this game not bad in the beginning but it became a chore as there was no challenge and every board, even though they changed slightly, were all the same with the same goals - only the numbers of jewels you had to find changed.  I was really glad when I finally finished. 

You have to turn all yellow square to black by making matches over them, which wasn't at all hard to do as the boards were all very big with lots of squares and only a few little holes in the middle as obstacles.  You also had to get a certain number of different coloured jewels on each level, which changed per level, but perhaps 150 of 6 different coloured jewels.  However, as the boards were so big with so many squares and hardly any obstacles, that was very easy to do, especially once you'd bought the powerups and had enough money to use them (which I managed to do very early in the game).

The only true obstacles, apart from a few small holes in the middle of the board, were skulls, next to which you had to make a matches to clear them, which was also very easy.  The only real fun boards I found were the last few, where there were so many skulls that there was very little leeway to make matches and so it was actually fun working out how to do that.  Other than those last few boards, however, the game was simply making matches over yellow squares and making enough matches to get all the jewels you needed - it was very monotonous.  The story was a bit of fun, though! 

Powerups:

There are 4 powerups that you need money to purchase and then further money to use.  However, as you make heaps of money on each level you soon purchase all 4 of the powerups and then can use them at will to finish the levels.  This made the game even easier than it already was and I ended up with nearly $1 million and so, once I'd cleared all the yellow squares, simply used the powerups to gather all the remaining jewels that I needed to complete the level.  I can't really remember what the powerups were as I only used one, but that one seemed to clear half the board!  I think there was also one to clear one square, and maybe one to clear a horizontal line and one to clear a vertical line.  However, as I said, the game was so easy that you didn't need to use them.

Timer: 

The game is timed but it simply counts up, giving you less and less bonus cash the longer it takes you to complete each level, which made the game really easy.  And, as you made so much money on each level, the little bit of bonus cash you got made no difference whatsoever so I didn't care how long I took to complete each level.

Negatives: 

Easy, monotonous, with no challenge.  And the boards were simply filled with different coloured jewels with some skulls as obstacles.

My Recommendation:

I'm afraid I can't recomment this game, even to M3 lovers.  It's far too easy with no challenge, not even a timer, and no excitement.  Some M3 games are easy but are fun to play.  This game, however, was monotonous and not fun to play at all.  Although, it wasn't bad to play while I watched TV as it was mindless.

It may be okay, however, for beginners who have no idea how to play M3 games.  But there are much better M3 games available. 

I wouldn't really recommend it for kids as the graphics show people holding guns to kill all the zombies, although I wasn't really interested enough to pay much attention to the story.  But you never had to actually kill any zombies, so I'm not sure what that was all about. 

My Rating:

I didn't like this game and couldn't wait to finish. 

Last edited by stusue (May 3, 2014 4:06 am)

What you're doing today is important
because you're exchanging a day of your life for it.

April 25, 2014 11:38 am  #12

Dreamscapes - The Sandman - Platinum Edition

Publisher/Developer: Playrix - Shaman Games

Date of Review:  25 April 2014  (bonus finished 25 April 2014, main game finished 21 April 2014)

Genre:  Adventure  (no HOSs)

AvailabilitySE - BFG and GameHouse  :  CE - GameHouse

Story:

Trapped by her nightmares, a young girl needs your help in Dreamscapes - The Sandman Platinum Edition, a chilling journey through the surreal.

As a little girl, Laura was haunted by eerie dreams that dissipated once her dad gave her a dreamcatcher. Years passed without an incident but on the night of her first violin solo, a strange figure appeared and destroyed her dreamcatcher, prompting Laura to fall into a coma. To bring her back, you have volunteered for an experimental procedure that sends you into her nightmare. What will you find?

Help Laura escape her mental prison and overcome the nightmares in this chilling undertaking. Travel through her mind and figure out what keeps her captive in this state. Search for useful items, solve puzzles, and uncover answers. Only by locating all of the pieces to the dreamcatcher will you be able to understand her predicament and possibly help her. Be mindful of your surroundings however, because if you're not too careful, you might end up just as Laura.

Critics give Dreamscapes - The Sandman 4 ½ stars and call it a "haunting experience that belongs among the best titles in the PC adventure game canon". See for yourself when you try the free trial version or download the full-unlimited version of Dreamscapes - The Sandman Platinum Edition today!

Platinum Edition (CE) Extras:

Enjoy exclusive content when you purchase Dreamscapes - The Sandman Platinum Edition including bonus gameplay, an integrated Strategy Guide, Concept Art, a Musical Soundtrack, Wallpapers, and a Screensaver.

-  12 x wallpapers
  -  17 x concept art - can all be saved
  -    9 x music tracks
  -    8 x screensavers, which are all great!

The Game:

Modes:  2 difficulty modes - Regular and Expert

HOSs:  None

Puzzles:  There are some really original minigames/puzzles that are heaps of fun to play and some of them required quite a bit of thought.  I really liked them.  I had to skip one puzzle as my computer couldn't handle it - it was a platform game.  There are also some arcade and inventory puzzles, as well as some usual ones.  I loved the real 'thinky' puzzles. 

Graphics:  The graphics were okay but nothing special. 

Gameplay

I loved the fantastic music and atmosphere.  There's also good lip syncing and voiceovers.  There is also a sliding screen in the hospital room, which I loved as I love games with sliding screens (ie. the screen slides to the left and right when you move the cursor to the edges of the screen.  The game is also non-linear, which I liked, as you could go wherever you liked and pick things up as you found them.  However, the story is linear. 

Note:  You may not want to play if you're coulrophobic (fear of clowns) or myrmecophobic (fear of ants) or isopterophobic (fear of termites).

The Hint Button:  The Hint button gives you hints in a really fun way - a minigame!  If you drag one of the inventory items over to the Hint button, a minigame comes up where you have to turn something over and over in 360 degrees to line all the white lines up so that they form a picture of where you are to use the item and the word also shows.  That was so much fun!  There are also 2 achievements for doing that - one for 5 times and one for 10 times.  I didn't do the Tutorial so I didn't know about this little minigame until I read Wendy's review - so thanks, Wendy!  I'd been wondering what those 2 achievements were for. 

The Black Bar Tips:  A little too helpful but okay.  But I loved some of the black bar comments that I made in the game! 

The Collectibles:  There are 108 "Beholders" to find and then "neutralize".  You click on them once to get them out in the open and then again to "neutralize" them.  There are between 1 and 6 to find per scene, although most had 3 or 4.  You always knew how many there were in each scene as it showed you when you clicked on the arrow at the left of the screen, and when you found the first one it said 1 of so many.  Most were really hard to find as all you can see are the one eye per beholder and often you had to wait for them to blink to see them.  Most are super small and a  couple were only slashes of colour on something as nearly all of them were hiding behind things or in cracks, etc.  Sometimes I had my nose almost on the screen, waiting for a blink to find the last one.  They're found both in the normal scenes and the zoom-in scenes.  There are 3 or 4 different types as bodies - with long legs like spiders or bodies like worms or wings like insects - were attached to the eyes.  I loved finding them and they continued into the bonus chapter, when there were a further 24 to find.  You get achievements for finding all of them in both the main game and the bonus game, however, you can't get the one for finding them all in the bonus chapter if you only have the SE, even though it's displayed in the Achievements Room (the SE has the achievements and Beholders). 

There are also lots of diary pages to find throughout both the main and the bonus games, and the pages are actually pages from a diary which gives the backstory - in the main game they're from 3 different time periods in the girl's life.  I'd strongly suggest you read the diary before finishing both the main game and the bonus chapter as the pages you find aren't in order and you don't find all the pages, so reading the 2 once you've finished collecting all the pages is really interesting as you get the whole backstory at once.  Once you've finished either the main or bonus games you can no longer access the diaries.

Achievements:  There are 14 achievements, mostly earned automatically through gameplay, and they're in both the SE and CE, although, as stated above, you can't get all of the achievements if you don't play the bonus chapter.  They're fun achievements as they're cute little hairy creatures that rule in the Dream World.  When you go to the Achievements (available from the main menu page) they're displayed on their big treehouse, all having fun, like painting, or playing chess, or riding a bike, etc.  However, you have to place them in their spot, like an extra minigame, as you first click on the arrow at the left of the screen that opens up to show you the achievements you've earned up to that point and then you click on them and drag them into position, having to match the little creatures with their silhouette.  I thought that was a great idea!

The achievements (as located on their tree) are:
  -  Find all the beholders in the Bonus Chapter.
  -  Find al the beholders.
  -  Wake up Benny.
  -  Find 25 beholders.
  -  Find 50 beholders.
  -  Complete 11 chapters.
  -  Find 5 chapters of the diary.
  -  Get the Sleep Power Locket (Premium Edition).

-  Put the entire dreamcatcher back together.
  -  Use the HINT button 5 times to learn about objects.
  -  Use the HINT button 10 times to learn about objects.
  -  Complete half the game.
  -  Save Laura from her first nightmare.
  -  Colour the picture.

The Collector's Edition:

CE versus SE:  I recommend the SE but I'm really glad I played the CE (not available at BFG). 
Length:  I didn't time it but I didn't feel it was short.    The bonus was about 90 mins. 
Bonus Chapter:  Not necessary to complete the main story (which ends conclusively) but a good addition.  All new scenes and you get to save the baddie, as well as finish Laura's story.  One good thing was that you can replay the bonus chapter without having to replay the entire main game.
CE Extras:  Bonus chapter, music tracks, wallpapers, concept art, screensavers, plus a couple of extra achievements that you can't get in the SE.
Collectibles:  108 (in SE) + 24 (bonus chapter) really difficult to find beholders, as well as diary pages.
Achievements:  You get some extra achievements in the bonus game, like getting all the beholders and finishing it, that you can't get if you only have the SE. 

My Recommendation

I loved this game, especially as it was an adventure game, and I highly recommend it, either the CE or SE.. Fortunately, the SE is enough, as the CE isn't available at BFG, and you still have the Beholders and Achievements in the SE.  However, if you have a FunPass ... Anki ... I can highly recommend playing the CE.  I would also recommend it for anyone who hasn't as yet played any adventure games as this would be a great way to begin as it's a lot easier than other adventure games and is a bit of a cross between straight LFA games and HOPAs.  Just imagine a HOPA without the HOSs.

My rating

I really loved playing this game and I will definitely play it again! 

April 26, 2014 11:42 am  #13

Grim Facade: A Wealth of Betrayal - CE

Publisher/Developer: ERS

Date of Review:  26 April 2014  (main game and bonus played 26 April 2014)

Genre:  HOPA

Availability:  CE - BFG

Story:

You’ve been hired for your most difficult case – stopping the fearsome figure of a headless knight, bent on terrorizing the city. The sweet Rosa Ramirez is said to have stolen his sword in order to unleash his angry spirit – but could there be something more mysterious happening in this beautiful Spanish village? Follow the clues that lead to Rosa’s disappearance – and discover the dark secret behind the infamous Fire Knight - before it’s too late!

Collector's Edition Extras:

*  A bonus game featuring another chapter
  *  Breathtaking new locations
  *  A special World of Colors feature
  *  An available Strategy Guide
  *  Wallpapers, Concept Art, Screensavers, Music and more!

-  6  x  wallpapers
  -  9  x  concept art - can all be saved
  -  4  x  music tracks - can be saved
  -  7  x  screensavers
  -  7  x  videos

The Game:

Modes:  3 difficulty modes plus Custom - you can change the mode at any point in the game

HOSs:  The first half of the main game has a great variety of fun HOPs - eg. riddle, replace objects, progressive silhouette, find 12 of something with slight interaction, lists with slight interations, one list covering several pages in a book using an eraser...  Unfortunately, by the end of the main game you're down to simple list HOSs with no interaction (one HOS played twice) and in the bonus there's only very slight interactive list HOSs (I think 5 - 2 played twice).  There weren't many HOSs in the main game but they were more prevalent in the bonus.

Puzzles:  There aren't a lot of minigames/puzzles in the game - most of them are inventory puzzles.  There are some unexpected little mini puzzles every now and again, for eg. to open something.  A few of the puzzles gave you the choice of Easy or Hard.  I wish they'd all had that option as they were all really easy.    I also wish you could replay the puzzles in the extras as they were fun. 

Some of the puzzles are original or a different take on an oldie but goodie, however they were all easy.  For example, you play Spot the Difference several times but it's quite unusual they way you play it ... you have 2 items and you have to find 12 differences, but under 3 different lights - normal, ultraviolet and infrared.  That was really interesting, although it was quite easy as there were only 4 differences per light.  There's also an original and fun Match-2 minigame where, instead of finding things that were identical, or turning over cards to find matches, in this game you find matches based on behaviour when you click on them, not on appearance.  That was fun. 

There's also one minigame that you play often - at least 3 times in the main game and twice in the bonus.  The first time I came across it I almost had a heart attack as it's a slider puzzle (which I hate) but with a totally new idea.  It looked really hard and I couldn't work it out - and the SG made it look super difficult, as well - but, once I'd played around with it for a while and worked out how it worked it was really easy and each subsequent one took me no time at all.  But it was fun.

Graphics:  The usual good ERS graphics. 

Gameplay

The game starts with great music, voiceovers (but no lip syncing), HOPs, puzzles, story and it was SO much fun to play!    Then halfway through something happened.    The music, even though I loved it, became very repetitive.  The voiceovers became overacted and your voice became shrill.  The HOSs turned into straight lists with only a couple of slight interactions and the last couple in the main game were just straight lists of the same HOS - that was such a disappointment as the HOPs in the first half were all different (although you played most, if not all, twice) and SO much fun!  And then the same puzzle is repeated a few times.  Interactions also became more bizarre as the game progressed, when things that you had to do only became obvious once you'd done them.  I would never have thought to do some of the things that I had to do, like luring a bat into a basket with an apple before putting a shield over the top to trap it.  Was it a fruit bat?    Fortunately, the story was interesting throughout with 2 main twists!

One part of the gameplay that I loved - but which also stopped halfway through the main game, as did everything that was interesting and fun - was that when you questioned people a sketch was drawn to show what they were telling you, either a static sketch that you used to show other people to get more information, or a video that explained part of the legend, which you can view in your diary.  Unfortunately that all stopped halfway through as I thought that was innovative and fun.

As part of the gameplay you find coins that you use to purchase items you need from the merchant (they're hidden on the inside of his coat that he flashes open like in the movies ).  That was fun but, once you'd purchased the 5 or 6 items that was it - no more coins to collect.

You also collect butterflies that are found in both the main scenes and the zoom-in areas (which won't close until you find it).  However, I found no fun in finding them - and I normally collectibles - and so didn't pay much attention and missed out on at least 1 (they're worth different amounts of tokens) and so was 7 tokens short of purchasing the last item for my bull (which I found boring).  The last achievement is for completing the "Bull Run mini-game in Collectables" but I couldn't find it.  I've posted a question in the game's forum, asking what it is and if you have to have found all the butteflies to play it.  There's no option to go back and find any you missed and I don't know if you can replay the game but keep all those that you'd found in the first play through.

There aren't many HOS and puzzles/minigames in the main game, but HOSs are more prevalent in the bonus.  Nor could I call it adventure.  The first half of the game was great, as you knew where to go and what to do and it was really fun and really interesting.  Then, halfway through, when you'd opened up whole new areas, the game seemed to turn into running back and forth to find inventory items and then using them.  At one point I had to go right back to one of the opening scenes (seemed like 8 or 10 scenes) to use an inventory item I'd just acquired, although I'd totally forgotten about needing something way back there as I'd last been in that scene an hour or 2 earlier!  I only knew that I had to go back there as I started using the Hint button as I had no idea where I had to go and just continued using it from then on as I started running all over the place, sometimes to do a HOS that I wouldn't have known about without having used the Hint button or having checked the SG.

The Hint Button:  The Hint button is directional and I had it set to a 15-second refresh - thankfully, as I used it continuously for the second half of the main game and most of the bonus.  The Hint button showed where you needed to do something but not what you had to do, so I often ended up trying everything in my inventory to see what worked, which is how I worked out some of the strange interactions that I would never have thought of myself. 

The Map:  Apparently it's a jump map but it shows no active zones whatsoever.  It just shows you where you are, tiny little pictures of each scene (that I couldn't see), and which scenes had been completed.  I found it useless as the only time I use a map is to see where there are active areas when I'm stumped as to what to do next.

The Black Bar Tips:  When they say No Black Bar Tips (as I had in Custom mode) they mean NO Black Bar Tips!  None.  Nada.  Rien.  Nothing.  Had I had some Black Bar Tips maybe I wouldn't have used the Hint button so much as I would have known exactly what I needed and where.  But I didn't need it in the first half of the main game, which was so much fun and you didn't need it.  But you can change your mode at any point in the game.

The Collectibles:  Butterflies (no idea why) but only in the main game, not the bonus.  They're found in both main scenes and zoom-in areas (which won't close until you've collected the butterfly).  However, I didn't find it at all interesting finding them (and that's a first for me!) and so didn't pay much attention as they're all mostly just in your face, and thus missed out on 1 or 2 and thus was 7 tokens short of buying the last item for my bull, which I also didn't find very interesting.  I'm just not sure if not getting that last item meant that I couldn't play the Bull Run minigame that was supposed to be in Collectables and which I couldn't find.  It's also the last achievement.

Achievements:  I'm not sure how many there were as EVERY SINGLE ONE is naturally acquired gameplay ones.  There's not a single achievement that you have to achieve!  They're all for things like helping someone, or finding someone, or putting out the fire.  That was SO boring but they were displayed in a fun way - you start by decorating the outside of your house - flowers, a dog, Sherlock Holmes - then you decorate a room inside your house - table, chair, rug, trophies, etc.  But as you don't have to do anything other than play the game I felt no sense of achievement in getting them. 

The Collector's Edition:

CE versus SE:  Unfortunately, I not only can't recommend the CE, but I also can't recommend the SE. 
Length:  Main game 4 to 4.5 hours.  Bonus about an hour.  But using Hint constantly to move around from halfway through the main game until the end of the bonus.
Bonus Chapter:  Not necessary, just another story following the ending of the main game with a different legend in the same town, some of the same characters, but mostly new areas.
CE Extras:  Bonus chapter, music tracks, screensavers, wallpapers, concept art, videos, extra minigame (couldn't find it in Collectables) and something called "A special World of Colors feature", which I also couldn't find.
Collectibles:  Butterflies that you use to buy things for your bull.  They are not found in the bonus.
Achievements:  The achievements continue into the bonus (one once you've finished the game) but are all gameplay achievements.

My Recommendation

I loved the first half of the main game.  It was fun, exciting, with lots of different HOPs and with only minimal running back and forth.  Then it all changed. 

Even though I really loved the first half and still liked playing until the end, I can't, in all good faith, recommend this game as either a CE or SE.  The CE has no special extras and the bonus chapter was okay but only an hour and totally additional to the main game - it was in the same town with some of the same characters but a totally different legend and problem you had to investigate.

My recommendation:  neither CE nor SE.  Only the SE if you have a PCC that's about to expire and you have no other games you want to play, or you want to have every Grim Facade game.  It was fun but there are so many better games out there!

I don't regret buying the game, even the CE, as I loved the first half of the game (and I got it on sale).  However, I definitely do not recommend the CE.  The demo was great, as was the first half of the game, but then it all went downhill.  IMHO, of course! 

My rating

I liked playing this game but it's nothing special.

Last edited by stusue (May 22, 2014 10:59 am)

May 1, 2014 5:27 am  #14

Plagiarii

Publisher/Developer:    Moncarwit

Date of Review:             1 May 2014  (played 30 April 2014)

Genre:                              HOPA

Availability:                      BFG – released 13 November 2013
                                           GameHouse – released 24 April 2014

The Story:

Evelyn awoke locked up in a strange place, her whole life overturned. Even in her strangest dreams, she never could have predicted what extraordinary phenomena would soon overcome her existence: memory loss, mysterious disappearances, encounters with an unknown intelligent species, time travel. Help Evelyn escape her confinement, discover the truth behind these unusual events, present humanity with a priceless gift, and find true love along the way.

*    Genuinely unpredictable plot
    *    Unique and exciting mini-games
    *    Original Music
    *    Attractive high-definition graphics
    *    Romantic love story

The Game:

Modes:    1

Options:    Sound, volume, full screen, system cursor.

Widescreen:    No widescreen for me, just curtains down each side.

Tutorial:    Optional but you get one anyway.

HOSs:    The entire game is very HOS heavy but I liked the way there weren't any HOSs just for the sake of having them but rather you often had to look for things in a room that you needed.  For example, you needed 12 fuses?  Then that was your HOS; you had to find 12 fuses.  You needed some weapons?  Then you had to find 12 tools that could be used as weapons.  You needed to free some people who'd been held captive?  Then you had to find 12 traps in the room before you could get to the locked door.  However, you also had some list HOSs with a couple of interactions, like opening drawers. 

You go to a room or location and the entire room is a HO scene.  The objects are all pretty much life size so some things are very, very small, like a pill.  I don't think there was a single HOS where I didn't use the Hint button for the last item or two, which were either things that were very small - although seeable - or things that were very well hidden.

One fun thing to do in the HOSs was click on objects.  Some of them made sounds when you clicked on them.  For example, if you clicked on empty glass bottles they tinkled.  You never knew which objects – alive or not – would make a sound.  That was fun, like a minigame within a HOS.

There’s one really interesting black and white HOS.  The objects are outlined in black on a white background, like sketches, although it’s a scene, and you can only see a very small portion of the screen at a time as you move the cursor around.  Down below are silhouettes of the objects you need to match up (kitchen utensils) and, whenever you found one of the objects, you clicked on it and then moved it over the matching silhouette below and clicked on that.  I found that interesting as I’ve never seen a HOS like that before.

Another interesting and unique HOS was a kid’s room and there were 12 words around the room, for example, on a poster, or graffiti, or spelled out in blocks, etc.  You had to first locate each word, then look for the corresponding object somewhere in the room, some of which were very small.  I really liked that one as it was different.

Minigame/Puzzles:     All the puzzles were part of the gameplay.  For example, if you had to eliminate a virus, then you looked under the microscope and there was a minigame to do that.  One door you needed to open had great, big, flat paving stones in front of it and you needed to work out which ones had to be pushed down to open the door.  Some of the instructions were a bit vague and some took a bit of trial and error to work out but they were mostly original and fun, and none of them were difficult.

There were also some usual puzzles, like spot the difference and match 2, but they were also a bit different.  For example, you’re having your portrait painted and to have that done you have to find the differences between 2 portraits of yourself – then you get to choose which portrait you prefer and then that portrait is the one displayed on the easel!  I liked that attention to detail.

One minigame was putting 30 jewels back into a crown – and some of the jewels were miniscule!  I found that a bit tedious, especially when I couldn’t find where to put one of the big jewels!  I should have looked at the side of the crown, shouldn’t I?

You’re able to skip all puzzles.  I skipped one as I simply didn’t have the patience for it.  You had to put glowing things in a jar.  You just had to click on each one and then click and leave it in the jar.  However, the ones you’d already put in the jar kept on trying to escape and as there were so many I just didn’t have the patience to try and get them all.  But I did about half before I gave in in defeat.

Graphics:    Although HD and clear, the graphics looked a bit old-school but fine.  There were realistic backgrounds with cartoon-like drawings of characters, with no animation and no lip syncing.

Music:    All original music that was fine but I didn’t think it really suited the game.

Voiceovers:    There were no voiceovers.  Everything was text with no animation.

Gameplay:    The story is in chapters so would be easy to just do one chapter at a time.

You enter a room (or occasional outdoor location), find the collectible crystal (if you can), do the room HOS, do a puzzle or two, then you’re automatically taken to the next scene.  Only at the very beginning, when you wake up not knowing where you are or even who you are, and one other location, are you able to walk back and forth between several rooms at will.  After that, you’re just automatically taken wherever you’re going next as soon as you finish the puzzle.  So no wandering around and no getting lost.

You do get a few inventory items in the HOSs but these are used straight away in whatever puzzle that room has, so you never accumulate a huge inventory and then have to try and remember where you need everything.

Hint Button:    The Hint button is invaluable for those really hard-to-find hidden objects.  It also turns into the Skip button during puzzles.

Map:    As stated above, there’s no wandering around so no need for a map.

Black Bar Tips:    These tell you what you need to do in each room, so necessary.  For example, it told you that you needed to find the 12 traps/dangerous animals in the room before you could free the people – and that was your HOS for that room.

Collectibles:    Yes, there are collectibles in an SE!  There are 36 crystals to collect, some of which are very, very, very small and very well hidden.  I only found 33 out of 36 but that was enough to give me the 6 bonus scenes at the end, which are just 6 pictures and text that finish the story for you.  The 6th one is a picture of the 2 guys who created the game, telling you that the next game will be the prequel to this one, where you’ll find out what happened to the main character (ie. you) before you woke up in the hospital, not knowing where you were or even who you were.  That’ll be interesting! 

My Recommendation

Length:    It’s definitely not a long game.  It took me somewhere between 2½ and 3 hours but I’m a slow player and I kept trying to find those last tiny hidden objects, so I spent longer than usual on the HOSs.  I read that someone did it in an hour and only used 2 hints – which I find very hard to believe.   Someone else said that they took 2 hours, and that I believe if you’re a player who rushes through games without taking the time to stop and appreciate the graphics, story and gameplay.

Difficulty:    This is a very easy game as there’s no wandering around and everything is very straightforward.  However, the instructions for the puzzles were a bit vague and I had to do a bit of trial an error to work some of them out – you’re told what to do but not how to do it – but I just found that that gave it a bit more of a challenge and also made it more life-like as, if you were really in that situation, you wouldn’t be given any help.

My Recommendation:    I certainly recommend this game for anyone who has a FunPass, even if it’s just to play some unique HOSs and puzzles.  I’d also recommend this game for anyone who wants an easy game or who likes straight HOGs with some puzzles.  It’s also short and relatively easy so would be great as a fill-in game. 

However, I wouldn’t recommend that anyone purchase this game, unless you wanted to support the developers who have made a good effort for their first game.  It’s too easy, there’s no widescreen, the graphics are old-fashioned with no voiceovers or animation, and there’s no adventure.

There were only 5 names plus a composer in the credits, and this is the only game I could find for them.  So, if this is the first effort of a very small new team then it’s a great first attempt and I can’t wait to see what they do with their next game, the prequel.

My rating

I liked playing this game but nothing special  (although I liked the originality)

Last edited by stusue (May 22, 2014 10:58 am)

May 3, 2014 4:02 am  #15

League of Light: Dark Omens - CE

Publisher/Developer:     Mariaglorum

Date of Review:              13 March 2014  (played 13 March 2014)

Genre:                              HOPA

Availability:                       BFG – released 21 July 2013

The Story:

The year is 1866. You've travelled for days to reach a castle hidden deep in the Carpathian Mountains only to discover you've been asked to join the mysterious League of Light, a secret group dedicated to fighting dark forces. You've barely said yes before you're sent on your first mission, to investigate a beast that is terrorizing the mountain village of Sorrow's Well. Is this beast real? Who's behind it? What's really going on in the Dark Lord's castle on the hill? No one ever said being in the League would be easy! Face supernatural beasts in the League of Light: Dark Omens, a dark Hidden-Object Puzzle Adventure game.

*    Bonus chapter featuring the kingdom of the dwarves
    *    Downloadable Soundtrack
    *    Concept Art Gallery
    *    Downloadable Wallpapers

The Game:

The following is my post in Finish your games challenge - 2014 (page 73, post # 723) after I'd finished the game - main game and bonus.  It was posted before I started my review thread, so it's not as detailed as my more recent ones.  It was posted 13 March 2014.

I've just finished League of Light: Dark Omens CE.  Wow, yet another great game!   

I'm really glad I got the CE as the bonus was nearly 2 hours !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    And it would have been 2 hours had I not looked at the SG a few times when I wasn't sure where to go next or had forgotten where I had to put something.    It wasn't necessary to conclude the story but continued on after the end of the main game and you got a whole heap of new background information and a whole other story - well, what happened to the Snoggle (sp?) after you'd defeated the Dark Lord at the end of the main game, as all his dark magic spread to the castle.    It was just as good as the main game with 100% new areas to explore and I think it had a lot more fun - and unique - minigames than in the main game.

I also loved the HOPs - some chain silhouette ones (which all had little mini puzzles in them ) and some interactive list ones.  And in the list ones you didn't know which items in the list were needed to find the highlighted items.  None of the minigames were difficult, although, of course, some took a bit more time and thought than others.  However, there were a lot of new ones I'd never seen before and even those I'd seen before all had new little twists on them.  But, as I said, none were overly difficult, with some being very quick and easy, but all were fun! 

However, at the end of the main game, it comes up with "To be continued", or something like that, and I don't think they meant the bonus chapter.    I think it's great if there's going to be a sequel  but I would have waited to play this one just before the new one, had I known. 

Oh, I'm also glad I got the CE because I really liked finding the owl collectibles.  Every one was different - some were different real owls, hidden in different places; some were statues; some were parts of furniture; etc; and a couple were hiding and I looked and looked, and couldn't find them, until they popped out from their hiding places!    The second time that happened I'd forgotten all about the first time and I didn't notice the little owl popping his little head out from behind the oven, right on the floor, until I was just about to leave the kitchen for the third time!    I was so lucky I spotted the movement out of the corner of my eye! 

I sure hope the sequel will be released soon!  And I sure hope they're actually going to make the sequel, unlike some other games when all sequels were cancelled. 

My Recommendation:        SE and CE (especially the CE) 

I definitely recommend this game, especially the CE.  Even though it certainly wasn't a very challenging game, I loved every minute.  The puzzles may not be very challenging but I found them all unique and fun which, for me, is the most important criteria. 

I also recommend the CE as the bonus was 2 hours and just as much fun, with the same quality, as the main game.  It's a separate story that follows on from the ending of the main game, but it isn't needed; the SE ends conclusively.  The owl collectibles were also all different - eg. there might be an actual owl, or an owl in a painting, or a sculpture, or as part of a table leg - which I loved as it was so much fun as you never knew where you were going to find it.  I find the same collectible, just sitting there, really boring and would tend not to get a CE with those.

My Rating:

I loved playing this game!

May 4, 2014 4:16 am  #16

Black Rainbow

Publisher/Developer:   Cateia Games

Date of Review:             4 May 2014  (played 29 April 2014)

Genre:                             Adventure  (no HOSs)

Availability:                      Legacy Games for $2.95 until Friday, 9 May 2014
                                         Coming to both BFG and GameHouse

Story:

Help Helen escape the burning village; guide her through the dark and dangerous forests and help the people of Amazonia. The evil behind the curtain is far bigger and more dangerous than anyone could have ever imagined. It's up to Helen to restore the balance in this hidden and unexplored world. Will you survive the impossible?

*    Find your way out of the dark forest of the Amazon!
    *    Search through dozens of hidden and sacred places!
    *    Solve dozens of exciting mini-games!
    *    Numerous animated, colorful locations to explore!

Gameplay:

Collectibles:    20 stone skulls
Companion:    None
Diary:    Notes, Help (cursors, etc.), Achievements and Game Statistics (time, total clicks, hints used, etc.)
Gameplay:    Adventure with lots of inventory puzzles (challenging) and minigames (easy-medium) - no HOSs
Graphics:    Superb adventure-style - 3D background with 2D people (CAGE engine) - water looks real
Hint:    Directional - there's an achievement for not using it
Modes:    3 - Casual, Adventure, Challenge
Map:    Confusing jump map (it's back to front, left is right) that indicates available actions
Music:    Very atmospheric
Tutorial:    Optional
Voiceovers:    Really good
Walk Indicator:    Shows available exits from the scene - you can turn it on and off at will

Minigames/Puzzles:    24

The game is mainly adventure (walking around a huge gameplay area with lots of locations) and doing puzzles to do things like opening doors, lowering bridges, etc, which often happen in other locations.

A lot of the minigames/puzzles are gameplay/inventory ones.  There's a lot of - you need to open something (door, lock) and you have to look around for a mechanism with a puzzle to open it, or some inventory puzzles, which may be somewhere else entirely.  You may have to go to another room and do some sort of puzzle to activate something in another room.  When you've done whatever you needed to to do to activate whatever it was you needed to activate, you see the activation in a little animation and so you know where it's just occurred and you can go there.  I loved this as it wasn't straightforward at all and was real adventure. 

You can't die in this adventure game (at least I didn't) but I did keep getting my fingers chopped off in one of the minigames!    In some of the minigames to have to time moves perfectly - like putting your fingers in between moving swords to press buttons to turn something on or open something up.  It was SO much fun!    What I didn't realise straight away, however (as I tried to do all the puzzles/minigames without reading the instructions, just like in real life), was that you could click on the swords when they were far away from the middle and they'd stay there briefly, giving you a bit of a window to press that button.  There are some really cool minigames in this game and totally unique as most are just part of the gameplay.

Inventory:

I loved the inventory tab, which has fast left/right arrows so that you don't have to scroll all the way back or forward to find an item - and you collect a lot of inventory items (I collected 124!).

Using your inventory items was sometimes a bit tricky - and sneaky!  One time I had to open a huge stone lid and I had to put gold coins on top for a puzzle.  I placed the gold coin I had and expected to find the other 3 during the game and then go back and place them there and do the puzzle.  Well, what I didn't find out until I worked it out later, was that I needed that gold coin in another puzzle in another area to change normal coins into gold coins before I could put all 4 in the original puzzle to open the stone lid.  I loved that as it wasn't straight forward at all! 

Map:

You have a jump map but I found it confusing as everything seemed to be back to front, as what's on the left side of the map is actually on your right side.  I got SO confused running around as the world is huge with so many different places.  You also end up with a couple of different portals to jump back and forth (eg. to a floating island, 1 of the portals had 3 choices) but you have to remember which portal you need to return to to get to where you want to go as they're located in different areas.  I often had no idea where I was and got totally lost!    And I loved it!    And the map is on, I think, 4 parchments for the different areas. 

However, as it's a jump map you can always get to where you want to go easily and it shows available actions.  As there are so many locations it's split into 4 (?) different parchments for the different areas with little circles for each location.  If you click on one of the circles a little thumbnail picture will come up, showing you which location it is and what it's called.  You can then click on it and you jump there.  Sometimes you have to go from one end of the game to the other and I'd use the map to orientate myself and then work out how to get to where I needed to go, then hit the road without using the jump map.  However, as it was back to front, sometimes I'd use the map when I just needed to go one scene and still went the wrong way and had to keep checking the map. 

I love wandering around in any game as I love getting to know my way around and, in this game, boy did I feel a huge sense of accomplishment and had a huge grin on my face once I'd worked out how to get to a certain location.  But don't get discouraged as I played on Challenge Mode, refused to use the Hint button so I'd get the achievement, and refused to use the jump map as I simply prefer to get lost wandering around.  If you play in one of the easier modes, use the jump map and hint button, you'd have no problems moving around and knowing where you need to go.

Collectibles:    20

You can collect 20 stone skulls.  I thought they were all fairly easy to spot (start out easy but get progressively harder to find - small and camouflaged or hidden) but, apparently not, as I missed one and you can't go back to find it once you've finished the game.    I've suggested to Cateia that they allow you to go back through the game and find any missing collectibles before you're kicked out of the game and to the credits at the end of the game and Ivan said they'll look into that and see how feasible it is. 

One of the skulls was even hidden behind the diary right down at the bottom left of the screen, which I thought was a bit sneaky.  And not every scene has a skull so you never know if you've missed one or if there isn't one in that scene - which makes it harder.  A couple of the skulls were found in zoom-in areas, and that's all there was to find there.

Achievements:    12

The achievements are nearly all performance based - listen to all dialogues, several for collecting the stone dragons, for not skipping minigames, etc - a couple game based - 2 for completing the game in different modes.  There's even one for finishing the entire game without using the Hints!  And there's no SG or walkthrough!   

Combiner (inventory use):

Just like in Tales From The Dragon Mountain 2: The Lair, this game also uses a Combiner.  If you have several pieces of an object in your inventory, or if several inventory objects need to be combined, when you click on the location where you need to use/combine these objects, a ring of small circles containing silhouettes of each object or part of an object will surround the location and you have to put the inventory object in the correct circle.  The object will then either be put together and placed in the location, or, if several objects need to be used together to do an action, that action will automatically be done for you once the last object is placed.  It's very handy as you know exactly what you need somewhere (although some of the silhouettes were a tad confusing as I had no idea what they were supposed to be. 

Miscellaneous:

*    There's a mechanical skull and I loved the animation
    *    Parts reminded me a bit of Myst, wandering around out in the open
    *    Starts in the Amazonian jungle then goes sort of old jungle/Sci-Fi mix
    *    Click on everything!!!!!
    *    There are 2 underwater areas and they're amazing with the sun-dappled effects
    *    All the water areas (lakes, 1 in a cave) are amazing and look almost real
    *    I finished in a tad under 4 hours but it seemed a LOT longer I got so immersed in it!
    *    If you play in Easy mode, use the jump map and hint, and skip the puzzles, it would be shorter

Statistics in Diary:

The following are my stats in the diary after I'd completed the game:

Player:    StuSue
Elapsed Time:    03:56:58
Difficulty Mode:    Challenge
Achievements Unlocked:    10/12
Read Diary:    18x
Total Clicks:    3904
Hint Used:    0x
Items Found:    124
Skulls Found:    19
Minigames Solved:    24/24
Minigames Skipped:    0/24

My Recommendation:  

I loved this game, especially as it was an adventure game, and I can't recommend it highly enough! 

I especially recommend it for all adventure lovers, or for those who'd love to try one as this one's really good and easy if you play in Easy mode, use the jump map to find where there are available actions and to jump, and use the Hint button. 

If, however, you prefer more of a challenge, you have that option by playing in Challenge mode, by not using the jump map, not using the Hint button, and by trying to play all the minigames/puzzles without first reading the instructions.

My rating

I loved, LOVED, LOVED this game! 

May 8, 2014 10:12 am  #17

Witch’s Pranks: Frog’s Fortune - CE

Publisher/Developer:    Shaman Games

Date of Review:              4 May 2014  (played 29 April 2014)

Genre:                              Mainly adventure with 3 simple FRAGS and a few easy puzzles

Availability:                       SE - BFG  …  CE - GameHouse

Note:    Everyone except me seems to love this game.  So, please keep in mind when reading my review that this is only my opinion.  I urge you to demo the game yourself as you'll probably love it like everyone else.  I thought it was cute, yes, with fantastic graphics and animations, and is a very high-quality game, but I just found it too simple for my taste, although the second half and bonus were fun to play.

Story:

BFG:

Once upon a time, an evil witch grew tired of the darkness and jealousy that festered in her bitter soul. Unbetrothed and desiring to wed a prince, the witch grew more envious by the day of the beautiful princesses to whom all the princes were engaged. One day, the witch vowed that all who rejected her affections should be turned into frogs, and she cast a spell that transformed all the princes in the land! Return the bewitched to their brides, cure the spell with the kiss of love and restore the happily-ever-afters to your most beloved fairytales in Witch's Pranks: Frog's Fortune!

*    Picturesque locations with beautiful art
    *    Charismatic 3D characters and audacious humor
    *    3 difficulty levels and dozens of brain-twisters

GameHouse:

Free the prince from life as a frog! Reunite true love and break the prankster's curse in Witch's Pranks – Frog's Fortune Platinum Edition, a uniquely romantic, quirky and enchanting hidden object, puzzle adventure.

First free the frog prince from his shackles, and then follow him to unlock the mysteries and hidden secrets in the witch's palace. Be quick while she's away. Concoct magic potions. Work with your foggy friend to bring together the right elements to overcome every obstacle and break the spell with the kiss of true love.

Make a quest to reunite true love and lift the heart-breaking curse when you try the free trial version of Witch's Pranks – Frog's Fortune Platinum Edition today! Better yet, purchase and download the full-unlimited version to enjoy exclusive content including bonus gameplay, amazing wallpapers and screensavers, colorful concept art, and magical music.

*    Choose from 3 different modes of play: Regular, Advanced, and Expert.
    *    Break the prankster witch's spells with true love's kiss.
    *    Travel through magical portals and explore enchanted worlds.
    *    Enjoy bonus gameplay when you complete the original story.

Extras in the PE version at GameHouse:

*    Bonus game  (you save one more prince)
    *    Music  (can’t be saved)
    *    5 screensavers  (all either really cute or beautiful)
    *    8 Concept art  (can be saved)
    *    10 wallpapers  (all very colouful)
    *    Strategy guide  (which you don’t need as you have the hint button)

Settings:

*    Music volume
    *    Sound volume
    *    Ambient volume
    *    Voice volume
    *    Full screen
    *    Individual cursor
    *    Select mode

Gameplay:

Collectibles:    None – but you often have to find and collect x number of lots of objects
Companion:    None – but the frog princes do help you occasionally, especially the one in the bonus
Diary:    Notes (a few, which you don’t need) and Achievements (interactive cards accessed in main menu)
Gameplay:    Mainly adventure with inventory puzzles, 3 simply FRAGS and a few easy but fun puzzles
Graphics:    Superb, very clear and colourful, even cutscenes – the animation is also very smooth and fun
Hint:    Directional and you lose a hint each time – fortunately very quick refill, even in Expert
Inventory:    You never have much at a time as you’re mainly collecting x number of different things
Modes:    3 - Regular, Advanced, Expert  (once again, no imaginative names in a very fun game)
Map:    None – but it certainly isn’t needed as each fairytale only has a few scenes
Music:    Good
Quality:    Extremely high – especially the graphics, animations and cutscenes
Sparkles:    Yes – even in Expert Mode they are on the FRAGs (but not only anything else)
Tutorial:    Yes – I played in Expert mode which doesn’t have a tutorial but I don’t think it’s needed
Voiceovers:    Good

Difficulty:

The game is very simple, which I found a real pity, and I played in Expert Mode.  I didn’t like the first half of the game, when you save the first prince, as it was just too easy and short with no depth, and I found it rather boring.  However, when you save the second prince (and the third in the CE), it’s much longer, the story has much more depth, and the gameplay and minigames get more challenging, although never difficult.  I really enjoyed saving the last 2 princes as it was fun and it required some thought, both in gameplay and puzzles, although the one FRAG you do for each prince is super easy with huge pieces.

You also never have to do much even with the inventory puzzles.  For example, you have to mix something (like mixing a potion in other games).  You run around to the few scenes to collect the ingredients, put them on the table, then the recipe is just there for you to look at and you simply click on each ingredient in order and they’re then put into the pestle and ground with the mortar and then put in the flask, for example.  That’s it.  The whole game is like that; made overly simple when it needn’t have been. 

It would be great for kids but they’d need a bit of help with some of the minigames/puzzles and finding your way around in the second half of the game.  However, it would be a great game to play with kids, especially to get them to work out which fairytales they are.

Minigames/Puzzles:   

The puzzles are mainly inventory puzzles – you collect so many of different items and then use them to make something work, for example.  There aren’t many minigames and they are all easy, especially in the beginning, however, they’re all unique, or have very original twists on the usual ones.  I found the first ones mind-numbingly easy.  They do get progressively harder and more fun but I didn’t find any of them very challenging.  The later ones just require a bit of thought and take longer to finish as they have more moves.

I did love a few of the puzzles.  One was a Match 2 where, after each choice, the circles which have the 2 you’ve just chosen move.  However, you know where they’ve moved to if you watch the circles turn so you just have to remember their new location.  It’s not random movement.

I also loved the pipe-turning game, where you have to move 4 coloured balls to their positions.  However, you can’t just turn the pipes and then move them home as there’s no straight route and the other balls are in the way.  So you have to move some balls out of the way to move the others and then you have to move the ball you’re moving a bit along, then to another square so you can turn the one it was on, then you move it back again and then go forward.  I loved that one.  It was relatively easy and heaps of fun once I’d worked it out but it took a bit of figuring out how to do it as the instructions are very vague.   They tell you what to do but not how to do it.

Inventory:

The inventory bar, as well as your parchments (diary) and all the other buttons (except for a back button bottom right of the screen) are all at the top, which I never got used to in the game.  It can be locked.  You never have to scroll to see all your inventory items as you collect so few (mainly x number of different objects) that you never have many at any one time.

Black Bar Tips:

Sometimes you get a bit too much information but generally they’re okay.  One thing I really liked was when I tried to use something right near the beginning and it was the wrong thing.  There was no sarcastic comment but rather a specific comment related to what I’d tried to use, telling me that the spoon was no good because it was slipping off the teeth.

Achievements:    12 in the SE – 21 in the CE

SE – there are 6 achievements for both princes that you save – they’re the same 6 for both – all story based (eg. for finding the princess) except for one, for not skipping the minigames.

CE – there are the same 6 achievements for all 3 princes that you save, plus 3 automatic ones for a fourth non-prince (which you do not save and have no interaction with at all).

Your achievements are shown as cards in the achievements section in your diary (parchments), each set of 6 per prince only showing up when you’ve found him.  If you go to Achievements on the main menu page you can interact with the 4 characters in the glass jars and that’s a bit of fun, especially when they dance, and especially the dance of the fourth character.

Bonus Chapter:

The bonus chapter is certainly unnecessary as the main game ends conclusively after having saved 2 princes and dealing with the witch.  The bonus continues when suddenly another prince pops out from nowhere and you have to save him as well.  This prince is much funnier than the other 2 and you have more interaction with him.  I was LOL during the bonus, when I’d only chuckled a few times in the main game.  And I loved the cat cactus in the bonus.

There’s also another character with which you have no interaction but you do collect 3 cards to use in the Achievements found on the main menu page, and that’s fun.  So you do need the bonus chapter if you want to have all 4 of the glass jars filled in the Achievements on the main menu page.

There’s a box in the middle of the 2 boxes on the table that you need the frogs to open that’s never opened in the main game.  The box is opened in the bonus game, for the third frog. 

Length:

Main Game – it took me under 4 hours in Expert mode.  However, I took breaks in that time, like potty breaks, as well as getting food and drink.  I’m also a really slow player as I like taking my time and enjoying the game.  However, I did use the Hint button a lot in the first half of the game to move around as I simply wasn’t all that interested.  A reviewer at BFG said that they took a tad under 2 hours, which I find a bit hard to believe, although it may be possible.

Bonus Chapter – it took me just under an hour, once again going slow and only using the hint button when I’d forgotten something.

Strategy Guide:

There’s a Strategy Guide in the CE but I doubt you’d need it and wouldn’t miss it in the SE.  The one minigame I looked at for instructions – the pipe one – had no instructions in the SG.  It just said to complete it and you’d get whatever it was you got.  That’s the only one that I had to work out how to do.

Main game  –  pages 1-72
Bonus chapter  –  pages 73-94

Miscellaneous:

*    Some of the screens scroll right-left and up-down, with huge green arrows showing you where
    *    There are some real funny things, like an octopus named Madame Tent Akle (say it out loud)
    *    The frog in the bonus chapter is really funny
    *    The bonus chapter is much funnier than the game and I was LOL
    *    Everything is commented on – sometimes a second comment will give you some info re what to do
    *    There are some fantastic ideas, it’s just a pity 80% of the game is so easy
    *    The fairytales – The Princess and the Frog, Sleeping Beauty and Rapunzel (in the bonus chapter)

My Recommendation:   SE with reservation

CE versus SE:    You don’t need the bonus chapter to complete the story as the main game ends conclusively after having saved 2 princes, and saving each prince is a story within itself.  The bonus chapter is simply saving a third prince.  However, you do save the funniest prince and the bonus is really funny.  You also get all the achievements and all 4 characters in the glass bottles with which you can interact in the Achievements on the main menu page.

CE or SE:  I don’t think the short bonus chapter is worth double the price.  There also aren’t any collectibles or morphing objects.  The achievements are also almost all story-based, so no real achievement.  The game is also very easy.  Thus I’d only recommend the SE. 

I wouldn’t recommend this game for anyone who likes any sort of challenge in their game, either gameplay, HOSs or minigames/puzzles.  Nor would I recommend this game for anyone who likes dark, atmospheric games.

I would recommend this game for anyone who likes fun, simple games that look great and play well.  I’d also recommend it for anyone who’d like a simple, fun break in the middle of harder, longer, more challenging games.

I can understand that people love this game, as it’s cute with great graphics and is very different to most other games.  But I can’t understand all the hype and the almost 5-star rating for this short, simple game.  I don’t get it.  Obviously, this is a game that you’ll either love or – I can’t say hate as I didn’t hate it – so, let’s say, find too simple, so it’s definitely one to demo.

I played Witch’s Pranks using my FunPass and am glad I didn’t buy it.  I enjoyed parts of the game but that’s all.  The only way I would personally buy this game is if I had an expiring CE PCC and no other game to use it on.

My rating

I liked playing this game but it’s nothing special  (although the game itself is different and special)

Last edited by stusue (May 22, 2014 10:58 am)

May 17, 2014 4:18 am  #18

Forgotten Books: The Enchanted Crown - CE

Publisher/Developer:         ERS

Date of Demo Review:       10 May 2014  (demo played 10 May 2014)

Date of Review:                  17 May 2014  (game played 15-16 May 2014)

Genre:                                  HOPA

Availability:                           BFG

Note:    I copied my demo review (in black) and, without changing that at all, simply added to each section after having finished the game, both the main game and bonus (in blue).

Story:

Your curiosity is piqued when your librarian friend shows you an ancient book that seems to have no ending. As you open the book’s pages, a character in the story begs for your help! All at once, you’re swept into his magical kingdom - where a monstrous threat is bent on destruction, but your path is blocked by a mysterious pen re-writing the story. Can you find a way to free the king from his chains, and rid the land of Eldor from danger before the final hourglass runs out?

The Collector’s Edition includes:

*    Explore four new story worlds and earn new achievements
    *    Complete your set of collectibles
    *    Complete a picture with the paints you've collected
    *    Use the available Strategy Guide
    *    Wallpapers, screensavers, music, movies, and concept art

Options:

*    Music volume
    *    Sound volume
    *    Voice volume
    *    Full-screen
    *    Wide-screen
    *    Custom icon

CE Extras:

*    Bonus chapter (Explore four new story worlds and earn new achievements)
    *    7 wallpapers
    *    16 concept art, which can be saved
    *    8 screensavers
    *    14 movies
    *    4 music tracks, which can be saved
    *    16 replayable HOPs
    *    15 mini-games
    *    Workshop – just 28 photos of the developers, not very interesting as you don’t see the work

Gameplay:

I loved the animated opening.  It’s crystal clear (unlike some of the later scenes) and smooth.  It’s also very dramatic.

I also really liked the story and I loved the way the book is being rewritten as you enter scenes.

After playing:    Unfortunately, there are only a few more rewritten scenes using the pencil after the demo.

Collectibles:    18 paint jars (you just pick them up in zoom-in areas, no need to look for them)
Companion:    None
Diary:    Once again a scroll with the story
Gameplay:    Usual standard HOPA quests
Graphics:    Usual ERS graphics, but some crystal clear, some a bit blurry, great animations
Hint:    Directional and will show you if items need to be combined in the inventory
Inventory:    Bottom as usual, sometimes you need to combine items to get another
Modes:    4 - Casual, Advanced, Hard, Custom – can change at any time during the game
Mode, Custom:    Tutorial, Sparkles on active areas, Sparkles on HOPs, BBT, Hint and Skip (off or 5-200 secs)
Map:    Jump map, with each scene shown as an open book, a pair of glasses show where you are
Morphing Objects:    No
Music:    Good
Quality:    Usual ERS quality
Sparkles:    Yes – active zones and HOPs – depending on what mode you choose
Strategy Guide:    Yes – but I doubt you’d need it as the hint would be enough and it’s not difficult
Tutorial:    Yes – depends on which mode you’re playing in
Voiceovers:    Good but a tad OTT – no lip sync for people, but they have animation while they’re front and centre on the screen when they speak – one heron had beak syncing – you can fast click through speech or skip

After playing:    All the animals have some form of lip syncing, none of the people.

Difficulty:

The gameplay and difficulty is typical for an ERS game.  You need to remember what you need where, as in all HOPAs, but it’s not difficult. 

After playing:   

This is actually quite a difficult game for an ERS game.  I read that ERS had upped its difficulty and it’s true.  It’s not a hard game but you definitely have to think about what to do next and where to go, and the HOSs, HOPs and minigames are also more challenging than usual.

Black Bar Tips:

I loved the black bar tips and comments and would probably leave them on to play the game as they were funny and I was LOL.  A lot of the black bar tips/comments I came across in the demo were hints, rather than telling you outright what you needed.  For example, right near the beginning there are clams that are covered with vines and the black bar comment is, "I will have to claw my way through this one".  A bit later you find a claw that you use to cut the vine.

After playing:   

Unfortunately, the BBTs didn’t continue with the great, funny, hint comments after the demo and I ended up turning them off (I was playing in Custom Mode) but it was too difficult without the BBTs and so I turned them back on.  It was either have the BBTs or constantly using the Hint button to know what to do and where to go.  I didn’t feel like wandering around endlessly or wracking my brain trying to work out what was needed so turned them back on, as no BBTs means NO BBTs.  A couple of times when I didn’t have the BBTs turned on, I had no idea what was needed in a zoom-in area as it wasn’t at all obvious, even after I knew what was needed; it was like, “Oh, okay. I’d never have thought of that.”.

HOPs:   16    (main game – 13 … bonus – 3)

I only came across 3 in the demo (but I was taking notes so didn’t finish the demo, which someone said was short).  The first one is played twice, the first time you have to find all the gold objects with slight interaction, the second time was silhouettes and everything removed the first time were gone when the HOP was revisited.  The second one was silhouettes where you then had to put the objects back into the scene to get one of the other silhouette objects, or you had to move things, turn things, etc. to get objects, some of which were progressive.

After playing:   

I loved the HOSs/HOPs!

Some of the HOSs were part of the gameplay and not just stuck in for the sake of a HOS.  For example, for one HOS that you play twice (I think you play them all twice) you zoom into a table that has lots of fruit and flowers on it and you put the basket that’s in the inventory onto the table.  Then you get the silhouette of different fruit one at a time to find and put in the basket.  You then need the fruit for a minigame that was fun and had two different difficulty levels that you can choose between and swap between as you play the minigame.  Each time you switched between them you’d start again so I’d play the easy level first then, when I got to the last one, I’d switch to the hardest level to start all over again.  It was fun but easy in both of the difficulty levels.  The second time you visit this HOS you first have to find a book which goes into inventory, then you put the book on the table to collect flowers and you actually have to turn the pages to get to the next flowers (great attention to detail).

One of the HOSs was a twist on the usual – instead of finding x lots of 2 matching fish (in a right/left reflection) you have to find 10 unique ones amongst all the matching ones, in an underwater world that’s moving.  The reflection is right to left but isn’t an exact reflection as there are lots of unmatched sea creatures.

One of the HOSs is a chest of drawers with 3 drawers and the objects can be found outside the chest or within the 3 drawers.  What was great was that, unlike a lot of other games, the object list didn’t change as you opened or closed drawers, so you never know which objects are to be found where.  Bravo!  It makes it too easy when the objects listed are highlighted when you’re in the scene where they’re located.  Also, some of the objects were only seen when you’d found other items.

There are also some interactive silhouette HOPs.  I loved one of the progressive HOPs with a clock – there are 2 puzzles within the HOS and they’re quite challenging.  I had to take notes for one of them. 

Alternative Puzzle:    There’s an alternative puzzle you can play if you don’t want to do the HOSs/HOPs (but they were so great I don’t know why you wouldn’t want to play them).  I don’t know what it’s called but I used to play it all the time as a kid.  You draw dots in rows and columns on a piece of paper and then you take turns to draw a line between 2 dots.  Whenever you can close a square with one line you claim that square and put your initial in it.  When all the squares have been claimed, whoever has the most wins.  In this case it’s a beautiful playing field instead of dots on a page but the mechanics are the same.  It also has a Casual or Hard option.

Minigames/Puzzles:    15    (main game – 13 … bonus – 2)

I only remember coming across two in the demo.  Both were original and easy.  One took me a few tries to get right and the other was an arcade game (and I loved the way the beavers stuck their thumbs up when you got them).

After playing:

The minigames/puzzles are either original or have twists on typical ones.  There’s a really cute M3 with jellyfish.  At some point after the demo, it seemed that all of a sudden I had lots of inventory and was suddenly doing lots of puzzles, which I loved.  Not the inventory, as I hate scrolling through a lot of inventory to find what I need, but I loved all the puzzles.

Just like the HOSs, in some of the puzzles I needed an inventory item that I didn’t yet have and so had to remember where they were so that I could find them again once I had the item I needed in inventory.  This added to the challenge of the game.

The puzzles/minigames are definitely more challenging than ERS’ usual ones.  They’re not difficult but definitely not easy, either.  They just take a bit of thought and they’re not short.  For example, one of the puzzles is where you have to separate strings so that they don’t cross.  However, in this one there’s a twist that you discover when you’re trying to separate the strings.  It’s also more challenging than usual as, not only do you have to separate the strings so that they don’t cross, but you also have to put the stars on points to form a picture!  I normally love this type of puzzle and this one was even better – and it took a lot more thought and a lot longer than usual.

HINT:    There’s a minigame with 3 levels where you have to bring 3 animals to life (from pictures).  You can always tell which tile starts the line as one of the ones that can go there will have a rounded end, so you can always know which one to start with if you look closely at the tiles before you begin.

Collectibles:    18    (main game – 13 ... bonus – 5)

There are only 18 paint jars to collect and they’re in the zoom-in areas.  They’re just sitting there with other objects and you just have to click on them to collect them when you get the hand.  So disappointing as there’s no fun in just picking collectibles up without having to look for them.  I don’t class that as having collectibles, just more inventory items, even though they don’t go into your inventory but rather to the collectibles/achievement page as they’re related.  You collect paint jars and then your achievements are scrolls, a palette and paint brushes in a jar.

After playing:   

My opinion of the paint jars as merely inventory items that go into the Collectibles/Achievements room hasn’t changed.  I’d hoped that maybe as you continued to play they became more difficult to find but no, unfortunately.  I’d also hoped that once you’d collected them all maybe you could actually paint the pictures you acquire as achievements, but no.  You simply collect them and as you collect them more colour is added to the paintings you’ve acquired.  That’s it.  So disappointing and what a wasted opportunity.

Achievements:    11

There are 11 achievements and I got one in the demo – I got the palette for simply saving the tree – so not an achievement, just an acknowledgement that I’d done something in the game that I’d have to do anyway to continue.  As stated in the collectibles, these scrolls, palette and paint brushes are used to paint pictures.  Each scroll can be opened up on the easel and then you can paint a painting but I don’t know how that works.  I don’t know if any of the achievements are performance based as it doesn’t say what they’re for.  There are 9 scrolls and I think there are maybe 9 story worlds you have to fix (as it says you explore 4 more story worlds and get extra achievements in the bonus – so 5 in the main game and 4 in the bonus?) and I assume you just get a scroll once you’ve finished and fixed each story world – hence maybe no performance-based achievements at all.

After playing:

Not a single achievement is performance based.  Every achievement is simply for doing something that you have to do in the game.  Really disappointing.  I’d hoped that you actually get to paint the paintings once you’ve got the scrolls, or I’d really hoped that maybe you had to put the pictures together in a jigsaw puzzle or something first.  But no, they were simply there, you simply clicked on the paintbrush and they were painted. 

Once again, what a wasted opportunity!  They could have had the pictures as jigsaw puzzles, which you then had to paint by numbers, or icons, or something, and which were then your wallpapers.  But no!  The paint jars were in your face so that you couldn’t miss them, then the scrolls were acquired simply by playing the game, then you opened them, clicked on the paintbrushes, and they were painted.  End of story.  I was so disappointed.

Bonus Chapter:

No idea how long it is nor what it’s like as it’s not shown in the SG and no one’s finished the game yet and commented about it in a review. 

After playing:

The bonus has absolutely nothing to do with the main game at all, which ends conclusively.  It’s just you trying to fix all the havoc the rabbit has caused in four other books.  There are some characters in it from the main game but the story is totally separate.  Once again you have an awful lot of inventory items.

The bonus chapter was of a good length, about 1½ hours.  It was fun but there were only 3 HOPs and 2 minigames/puzzles.  The rest of the time was spent simply going back and forth from one book to another (there are four and you have to remember which is which and what you need in each – I strongly recommend you make notes or else you’re going to be doing an awful lot of unnecessary travelling from book to book), finding inventory items in each one that were needed in the others.  

There’s also a portal in each book where an animal from the main game has come through and you also go into and back out of each of these four portals into one scene each in the main game.  You revisit HOSs from the main game in these scenes but all the items in the scene have changed.  Not only are the lists 100% new but every object in the scenes are new.

Length:

No idea.

After playing:   

I didn’t time how long I played but it certainly wasn’t short.  I played it over two days and was doing other things at the same time so I can’t judge how long it took.  I just know that it seemed to be quite long.  The bonus was about 1½ hours.

Strategy Guide:

The SG in the demo only shows the first 2 chapters and the first 3 collectibles.

Main game  –  pages ?
Bonus chapter  –  pages ?

After playing:

Chapter 1  –  pages 2-8  –  Magic Forest
Chapter 2  –  pages 9-15  –  Old Castle
Chapter 3  –  pages 16-21  –  Way to Royal Palace
Chapter 4  –  pages 22-30  –  Palace
Chapter 5  –  pages 31-36  –  Prehistoric World
Chapter 6  –  pages 37-40  –  Temple out of Time
Bonus  –  pages 41-57
Collectibles  –  page 58

Miscellaneous (after playing)

There was some great attention to detail.  For example, the clock in the library shows your local time whenever you go back to it!  I just wished it also kept tally of how long you play.  I also loved the racoon (in the bonus) that’s pregnant and she holds her extended stomach just like a woman does.

I noticed at the beginning that the spoken speech didn’t always match the written text, but it didn’t change the meaning, and only occurs a couple of times.  The name of the world in the book – Torelian – was pronounced differently by several different characters, which I found amusing.

The game starts with not much running back and forth as there are only a few scenes per location and you move on once you’ve finished there.  However, as the game progresses you get more and more inventory and you start running back and forth more and more.

Sometimes the game was very silent with no music for quite a while.  It was really weird whenever this happened in HOPs as then it was deathly silent as there were no ambient sounds at all.

One problem I came across was when I changed something in a zoom-in painting and then there was nothing else I could do, even though there was obviously something still to do.  So I exited the scene and immediately clicked on it again and then I could enter another scene through the painting.  I think you should have been able to immediately enter the painting without having to first exit.

HINT:    always check the tops of scenes as I sometimes missed something you had to do as they were up in trees, for example, and I hadn’t checked up there.

Negatives:    (after playing)

One negative thing was, for being a game about a book that’s being rewritten with the pencil, after the demo that only occurs another couple of times, which I found really disappointing.  They could have made so much out of that, which is what I’d been expecting and was one of the reasons I got the CE.

Another – which I really didn’t like and found annoying – was that sometimes when I had to use an inventory item in a zoom-in scene I had to place it exactly where it was to go or else it didn’t register.  Sometimes I thought I must be trying to use the wrong thing but no, I just hadn’t placed it on the exact spot it was to go.  I also had problems clicking on some things in the HOSs as I had to click on exactly the one pixel that registered and sometimes it took a while, clicking on every pixel that made up that object.

My Recommendation:    SE – not CE

I really enjoyed what I played of the demo.  I liked the story, the graphics and animation, and the gameplay with scenes being changed when you enter them.  Yes, it isn’t very difficult, but I liked the dark story that takes place in a book that’s constantly being rewritten.  I’ll need to read a lot more reviews before I decide.

So I recommend the SE but not – at this stage – the CE as I don’t think the extras are worth double the price, sale or no sale:

*    there are no morphing objects
    *    there are only 11 achievements and they all seem to be story based and not performance based
    *    the collectibles are really only inventory objects that go into your achievement room
    *    replayable HOPs and minigames don’t interest me as I never have time to replay them
    *    painting the 9 scroll achievement pictures doesn’t interest me either

I also don’t think such a simple game is worthy of CE status.  Unless I read that the bonus is super long and really interesting with the 4 extra story worlds, I’ll stick to the SE, either with a PCC or during a BOGOF.

After finishing both the main game and bonus:

I loved playing the main game and it’s certainly a lot more challenging than I’d thought from the demo, the gameplay, HOPs and minigames/puzzles.  Unfortunately, even though the bonus chapter was quite long for a bonus and it was okay to play, I felt really let down and disappointed with all the CE extras, bonus included, which spoilt the fun I’d had playing the main game.  Although I don’t regret having got the CE at the price of an SE, I really regretted not finishing the bonus with the same great feeling I’d had after having finished the main game.  I was also really disappointed with all the extras, as they hadn’t lived up to my hopes and were just there and meant nothing.

So I wholeheartedly recommend the SE as it’s a great, fun, challenging game with some fantastic HOSs/HOPs and minigames/puzzles.  But I don’t recommend the CE as the bonus chapter doesn’t live up to the main game and the extras are disappointing.

My Rating:

I loved playing this game    (main game)

Last edited by stusue (May 19, 2014 2:05 am)

May 19, 2014 11:18 am  #19

A Wizard’s Curse

Publisher/Developer:         Hullabu

Date of Review:                  19 May 2014  (played 19 May 2014 – 2nd time)

Genre:                                  HOPA - straight SE

Availability:                           BFG – released 16 March 2013

Story:

The Wizard has embarked upon a dark and anguished path of misery and destruction, ruining lives as he rages through the countryside. Your skills as an Alchemist will certainly be invaluable, but there are other reasons the Sorcerer's Council has sent you to find and stop the Wizard. As your quest unfolds, you find evidence of his madness and must be creative in your efforts to trace his steps and confront him. Will you succeed? Will you be able to save those he has sacrificed? Will you survive? Can you dispel A Wizard's Curse?

*    Travel through an exquisitely drawn world
    *    Explore intricate Hidden Object scenes
    *    Solve cleverly designed puzzles

Main Menu:

*    Play
    *    Options
    *    Help  (very helpful info)
    *    Profiles
    *    Quit

Options:

*    Sound
    *    Music
    *    Ambients
    *    Fullscreen
    *    Widescreen
    *    VSync
    *    Custom Cursors

Gameplay:

I loved the dramatic, claustrophobic opening!  Spoiler:  You, as the male alchemist, come to in a coffin and you have to get out.  You hear laboured breathing and your chest goes up and down as you try not to panic as you try to work out how you can free yourself.

The game’s a bit morbid as you come across skeletons, etc. throughout the game.  Spoiler:  You have to release 3 ghosts by first releasing their 3 skeletons then burying them, but you’re releasing them so helping them.  You also come across people who are being turned into stone.

There’s a bit of running back and forth from one end to the other just to do one thing or do one HOS to get an item that you need.  But the game’s very linear and there are only about 15 locations (in a straight line) so you can’t get lost.  I just used the Hint to get around as there was no way to know that you needed to do a HOS right back at the beginning, unless you remembered that that HOS contained an item you now needed.

The opening scene, when I as the main character, the alchemist, explains what’s going on is very important.  I didn’t pay much attention and so went back and started the game again once I’d finished to fully understand the story.  What is alluded to in the beginning and why you weren’t killed all makes sense at the end of the game.

At the end it says ...

THE END ...
... or is it?

I’ve posted on the developer’s site, asking if there’s to be a sequel as, on their site, this game is titled, “A Wizard’s Curse: Episode 1”.   But they just seem to make games for the iPad and Androids now so there may not be another episode.  If you go to their website and click on “Games” you can choose one of four games that they will send to you (for iPad or Android) and one of them is A Wizard’s Curse.

Diary:    Only has a few pages of things you need, like potion recipes, that are added as you need them
Gameplay:    Usual standard HOPA
Graphics:    Beautiful artwork
Hint:    Directional, refills in 30 secs in the easiest of 2 modes
Inventory:    You can’t right-click to put items back in inventory – you have to put them back there
Modes:    2 – Normal, Expert
Map:    None – but not necessary as the whole game is almost in a straight line so you can’t get lost
Music:    Dramatic
Quality:    Good
Sparkles:    Yes – active zones and HOPs – in Normal Mode (the easiest of 2)
Strategy Guide:    No  – but Gamezebo has a walkthrough
Tutorial:    No – not needed but there’s a Help button on the main menu for info re gameplay
Voiceovers:    Good – only 2 voices – the main character (male – I loved his voice) and another right at the end – you’re alone throughout the game – no lip syncing as not needed – except for the opening scene, whenever you speak you just see the back of the main character in black on the left and the text on the right

Modes:

Normal –
    *    Glints on key elements
    *    Shimmers on HO scenes
    *    Hints recharge – 30 secs
    *    Puzzle skip – 30 secs

Expert –
    *    HO shimmers only
    *    No glints, no hints, no puzzle skips
    *    “This will be truly challenging”

Unfortunately, in order to have the hint you need to play in Normal mode and thus have sparkles, sparkles everywhere, although apart from the HOSs, which are huge sparkle explosions but really pretty, there are only glints on active areas, so not really in your face but helpful.

Difficulty:

It’s not an easy game but it’s very linear and the hint is super helpful so it’s not difficult, either.  The HOSs are challenging but there are only 3 puzzles and they aren’t difficult.  The only difficult bit is the opening scene, where it’s difficult to know what to do when you’re panicking.  However, you just have to look in the inventory to find that you already have a couple of objects there that you use to escape.  You’ll also get BBTs to help you if you click on the glints (in the easiest mode).

Black Bar Tips/Comments:

Very helpful.  Sometimes when you click on an object it will tell you what needs to be done without telling you what you need to do it, for example, “The thread is so securely tied, I must cut it.”  However, other times it actually tells you what you need and what to do.

You get no sarcastic comments when you use the wrong inventory item.  Some examples:

*    “A valiant effort but not quite right.”
    *    “A reasonable attempt, but no.”
    *    “I don’t think that will actually work.”
    *    “Darn it, I thought that would work.”

Inventory:

*    Right clicking doesn’t put an item back in inventory – you have to put it there manually
    *    When you find an item you have to click on “OK” to close the box
    *    When you use an item the cursor changes into a gear so you know where to use it

HOPs:  

*    A lot more HOSs in the game than puzzles
    *    No variety – all straight lists with no interaction
    *    They’re quite challenging
    *    They’re quite dark and the objects are very well hidden and/or camouflaged
    *    I had to sit forward every time and used the hint as some objects were really well camouflaged
    *    Some objects were tricky – eg. a bird was markings on a brick that matched all the other bricks
    *    Most, if not all, played a second time – mostly previous objects gone but once finding same objects
    *    One HOS was played almost back to back – I went outside, did something, then straight back again
    *    Once there were several leaves in a HOS but only one was the correct one

Puzzles:    3   

*    Only 3 puzzles, none of them difficult but rather fun
    *    The hint button has the instructions for each puzzle
    *    I really liked the gem door lock and the invisible labyrinth in the wizard’s lair

Attention to detail:

At one point you have to put a stool together, which is really easy as there are only a few pieces to put back together.  However, you have to move the mouse around as the pieces change position to get each piece at the correct orientation to attach it.  Same goes for the hammer; you have to move the hammer around until it is in the correct position to hammer in all the nails.  Just a small thing but I liked that attention to detail.

Another time you have to lower a bucket into a well and as the bucket goes down and then back up the rope uncoils and coils around the wood perfectly.  I’ve never seen it done so well before.

Length:

It took me about 2 hours, but I’m a slow player and I was taking notes at the same time, so it's short.  If you played in Expert mode, though, and didn't use the hint at all it would be a bit longer.  Quite a few reviewers said that it only took them 1 hour, some said only an extra 10-15 mins after the demo.  The Gamezebo reviewer said that it only took them 40 minutes.  I don’t know how they could have finished it so quickly, apart from racing through, not paying attention to anything, and just using the hint constantly, also in the HOSs.

BFG Stats:

Average 3 stars – 84 reviews – 12 gave 5 stars
37% recommend the game - 30 out of 81 

Gamezebo Review:

The Gamezebo reviewer hated it and only gave it 1½ stars, although the player reviewers gave it 4 stars. 

The Gamezebo reviewer wrote (snipped from the review):  “Whatever attempt at a story the game tries to convey is told through simple blocks of text, over the same still image of your character walking off into the fog. A Wizard’s Curse is repetitive to the core, with the same basic formula for all parts of the game: move to new area, get stopped by a magical barrier, make potion to get past it, rinse and repeat. This formula occurs three or four times throughout your adventure and then the game is over.”

Extract from the All About Casual Game Review:

The gameplay of A Wizard's Curse is again, nothing to praise about. It is extremely easy, you basically move back and forth between locations, performing some tasks, make potions and kill the evils. Puzzles are more than ordinary and there are relatively few of them when compared to the amount of Hidden Object scenes. These Hidden Object scenes are very boring to play, items are small and there are no interactions at all; just a plain list of items.

What further disappoint us is its very abrupt ending (well, a sign for a sequel, we assume) and when we look at the time we took to complete the game, it is  unbelievably  short. Fast players can definitely finish the game in just under 1 hour without skipping any puzzles and it would not last any longer than 2 hours for slower players.

A Wizard's Curse starts out with a WOW and then ends with a BOOM! It is a downright average game with dull story and ridiculously short length.

Graphics: 3.5/5 Stars
Sound: 3/5 Stars
Story: 2.5/5 Stars
Originality: 1.5/5 Stars

Gameplay: 2/5 Stars
Puzzles: 2.5/5 Stars
Control and Navigation: 3/5 Stars
Fun Factor: 2/5 Stars

Rating:  2 Stars

My Recommendation:    SE but with reservation

I really liked the game, even the second time around, and feel the Gamezebo and All About Casual Game reviews were a bit harsh.  It’s not a difficult game but not super easy, either.  It has beautiful graphics and challenging HOSs, which I love, even though they were straight lists with no interactions.  It’s just a pity it’s so short and so linear.  They could have done so much more with it.  I recommend the SE but not to purchase or using a GCC, only with a PCC or DD as it’s short and you don’t do very much in the game.  Unfortunately, the game doesn’t live up to the fantastic, dramatic opening scene.

My Rating:

I had fun playing but it’s nothing special  (and short)

Last edited by stusue (May 22, 2014 10:57 am)

May 22, 2014 10:51 am  #20

Origins - Elders of  Time - Platinum Edition

Publisher/Developer:     BlooBuzz

Date of Review:               22 May 2014  (played 28 March 2014, first posted 29 March 2014)

Genre:                               HOPA

Availability:                        SE  -  BFG  -  released 21 July 2013
                                            PE  -  GameHouse  -  released 26 March 2014

The Story (at GameHouse):

Find the lost island and reveal its secrets to understand your father's mysterious disappearance in Origins – Elders of Time Platinum Edition, a hidden object adventure that will transport you to another time and place.

As Lisa, you are alone when your mother is killed in an accident. For 20 years, you have wondered about the mysterious disappearance of your father, and now it's time to investigate. What clues are left for you to follow? Who can you trust? You must be curious and clever all at once while you overcome challenges and puzzles that stand in your way.

Let your quick wit and imagination lead the way when you play the free trial version or download the full version of Origins – Elders of Time Platinum Edition today! Better yet, purchase and download the full-unlimited version to enjoy exclusive content including bonus levels, beautiful wallpapers, and an original soundtrack.

*    Follow the unfolding of an adventure story full of unexpected twists.
    *    Challenge yourself with clever puzzles and mini-games.
    *    Encounter characters who may help or hinder your progress.
    *    Unlock the exciting bonus chapters.
    *    Enjoy exclusive content including stunning wallpapers, concept art, music,
                and an embedded game walkthrough.

The Game:

The following is my post in Finish your games challenge - 2014 that I posted on 29 March after I'd finished the game - main game and bonus.  It was posted before I started my review thread, so it's not as detailed as my more recent ones.

stusue wrote:

I played Origins: Elders of Time PE yesterday, - the CE version at GameHouse, not the BFG SE version.  I'm not sure why BFG didn't offer it as a CE as it has a bonus chapter, SG, several jump maps (there are several locations and lots and lots of scenes - I just used the Hint button to get around), collectibles, achievements, the usual extras, and it was long, as was the bonus chapter.    And, with the 50% sitewide discount at GH at the moment, it's the price of an SE. 

I really liked it.  It's mainly adventure with an interesting storyline and a few puzzles and HOSs thrown in for good measure.  Some of the puzzles were super easy but they got harder as the game progressed and some were original and fun.  The HOSs were hard!    But fun!    I have no idea how how you could possibly get the achievement for doing a HOS in under 30 seconds.    You have interactive list HOSs and some small ones where you have to find parts of an object in order to build it so you can use it.  They were all hard because the graphics weren't as clear as some other games.  However, in the interactive list ones, not only do you have the straight list objects to find, but also some interactive ones and some needed more than one interaction, but you also had several in each HOS where you had to find maybe 3 or 5 of several objects, which may not always have been the same thing (eg. bulb could be a light bulb or a plant bulb).  There were also some that weren't objects and you had to work out what they were (eg. "sleep 3" were three "Zs"!) or you needed 2 or 3 objects to make something (eg. "hunting scene 2" was a hunter and a deer).  And some of the objects were hidden really well, as in hidden behind things, so you had to not only look for the objects but also find maybe just a bit sticking out from behind something.  So the HOSs were hard but fun and definitely thinky.    So how you could possibly do one in under 30 seconds I have no idea.    However, if you, like me, get stuck finding that last object or 2 or 3... you can always choose the easy alternate golf solitaire game. 

There weren't all that many puzzles but they were original and fun.  Some were easy peasy but, as I said, they got harder later in the game.  Some took some thought, however, but all were fun.  There also seemed to be a lot more puzzles in the bonus game, which took me about 90 minutes, and that was hitting the Hint button continuously to get to wherever I had to go, so longer if you wanted to remember what you had to do next and where to go yourself.  The bonus game isn't necessary but was good and gets you off the island and back home.

One major negative, though, is the SG, which I didn't find until I was near the end of the main game.    The SG itself is fine but you'd never use it in the game.  One reason is that the Hint button takes you to wherever you need to go (or you can use the jump map that shows where you have things to do if you choose the easier of 2 modes) and then, if needed, it shows you what inventory item to use where.  It doesn't help you with the puzzles, though.    However, if you want to check out the SG, you have to totally exit the game back to the main page, then open "More Info", then open the SG!    Then go back to the main page before restarting the game.  Not a good place for the SG.  I mean, who'd think to look in More Info to find the SG?    I couldn't see any way to access it in the game. 

But I didn't find all the collectibles!    What you collect I thought you'd need as part of the game (I didn't realise they were just collectibles) so didn't pay too much attention to them, picking them up when I found them (I don't think they were in every scene and a couple of times I think I found more than 1 in a scene), but thinking you'd have to find them all to do something.  But I was obviously wrong.    Oh, and that's a weird thing - there's no room or anything to showcase the collectibles (they're really boring, anyway) and the only way you know how many you have is when it shows that you've found maybe 8 of 20 when you find one.  Another oddity in the SE version is that you still have achievements but you don't know what they're for or what achievements there are as the achievements are listed in the Extras and the SE version doesn't have the Extras on the main page, and all the achievements are named and that's all that shows up when you get one.  So, you get an achievement but you have no idea why and you can't find out in the SE version!  That's weird. 

My Recommendation:    SE and PE (especially the PE) 

I definitely recommend this game, either the SE at BFG or the PE at GameHouse.

My Rating:

I really liked playing this game!

Last edited by stusue (May 22, 2014 10:59 am)

Board footera