Finish Your Games Challenge

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 22, 2014 6:16 am  #1551

Re: Finish your games challenge - 2014

I finished Dark Parables: Rise of the Snow Queen.  I liked the main game and bonus.  The bonus was a really short chapter on Hansel & Gretel. It was a cute bonus, but in no way needed for the main game.    I don't know why I got the CE for this one.  It must have been on sale. 

I think I need a break from FROGs from the time being.  4 in a row was enough.  I'll work on the other Dark Parables at another time.  Okay, what will be next?  Hmmm, I think I will play Sonya which I got from that French site.

i ♥ nirvana

May 22, 2014 7:40 am  #1552

sunshinej wrote:

That is odd.  Of course, when you think of pepperoni you think more of Italy than Germany.  Anyways, pepperoni balls are 3-7 slices of pepperoni put into a doughball about the size of a orange and deep fried.  I used to eat 2 with a salad and take the pepperoni  out and stuff the ball with the salad.

stusue...With the bantering back and forth between Vida & Black in Chronicles of Vida,  I looked at it as I wasn't alone on the journey, but had two talkative friends accompanying me. 

Also, have you played Origins yet?  With my 75% off coupon at Gamehouse and their 20% off sale.  I think it would cost me around 4 bucks.  

Sunshine, I'm glad you could look at the banter in Vida as having two talkative friends along for the ride.  It just really, really irritated me.  I've been keeping my fingers crossed that GameHouse gets it but, alas, not yet. 

Considering how much I hate pepperoni, just the leftover taste after you'd removed it from the middle of the doughballs would be enough to keep me front eating them. 

As for Origins, yes, I played it as soon as the PE was released at GameHouse and this is what I posted after I'd finished (I'll add this to my review thread now as well):

stusue wrote:

I played Origins: Elders of Time PE yesterday, - the CE version at GameHouse, not the BFG SE version.  I'm not sure why BFG didn't offer it as a CE as it has a bonus chapter, SG, several jump maps (there are several locations and lots and lots of scenes - I just used the Hint button to get around), collectibles, achievements, the usual extras, and it was long, as was the bonus chapter.    And, with the 50% sitewide discount at GH at the moment, it's the price of an SE. 

I really liked it.  It's mainly adventure with an interesting storyline and a few puzzles and HOSs thrown in for good measure.  Some of the puzzles were super easy but they got harder as the game progressed and some were original and fun.  The HOSs were hard!    But fun!    I have no idea how how you could possibly get the achievement for doing a HOS in under 30 seconds.    You have interactive list HOSs and some small ones where you have to find parts of an object in order to build it so you can use it.  They were all hard because the graphics weren't as clear as some other games.  However, in the interactive list ones, not only do you have the straight list objects to find, but also some interactive ones and some needed more than one interaction, but you also had several in each HOS where you had to find maybe 3 or 5 of several objects, which may not always have been the same thing (eg. bulb could be a light bulb or a plant bulb).  There were also some that weren't objects and you had to work out what they were (eg. "sleep 3" were three "Zs"!) or you needed 2 or 3 objects to make something (eg. "hunting scene 2" was a hunter and a deer).  And some of the objects were hidden really well, as in hidden behind things, so you had to not only look for the objects but also find maybe just a bit sticking out from behind something.  So the HOSs were hard but fun and definitely thinky.    So how you could possibly do one in under 30 seconds I have no idea.    However, if you, like me, get stuck finding that last object or 2 or 3... you can always choose the easy alternate golf solitaire game. 

There weren't all that many puzzles but they were original and fun.  Some were easy peasy but, as I said, they got harder later in the game.  Some took some thought, however, but all were fun.  There also seemed to be a lot more puzzles in the bonus game, which took me about 90 minutes, and that was hitting the Hint button continuously to get to wherever I had to go, so longer if you wanted to remember what you had to do next and where to go yourself.  The bonus game isn't necessary but was good and gets you off the island and back home.

One major negative, though, is the SG, which I didn't find until I was near the end of the main game.    The SG itself is fine but you'd never use it in the game.  One reason is that the Hint button takes you to wherever you need to go (or you can use the jump map that shows where you have things to do if you choose the easier of 2 modes) and then, if needed, it shows you what inventory item to use where.  It doesn't help you with the puzzles, though.    However, if you want to check out the SG, you have to totally exit the game back to the main page, then open "More Info", then open the SG!    Then go back to the main page before restarting the game.  Not a good place for the SG.  I mean, who'd think to look in More Info to find the SG?    I couldn't see any way to access it in the game. 

But I didn't find all the collectibles!    What you collect I thought you'd need as part of the game (I didn't realise they were just collectibles) so didn't pay too much attention to them, picking them up when I found them (I don't think they were in every scene and a couple of times I think I found more than 1 in a scene), but thinking you'd have to find them all to do something.  But I was obviously wrong.    Oh, and that's a weird thing - there's no room or anything to showcase the collectibles (they're really boring, anyway) and the only way you know how many you have is when it shows that you've found maybe 8 of 20 when you find one.  Another oddity in the SE version is that you still have achievements but you don't know what they're for or what achievements there are as the achievements are listed in the Extras and the SE version doesn't have the Extras on the main page, and all the achievements are named and that's all that shows up when you get one.  So, you get an achievement but you have no idea why and you can't find out in the SE version!  That's weird.   

Sunshine, GameHouse's current 25% discount sale needs a code, which means that you can't get both discounts.  If you wait for one of their discount sales that is automatically applied to every game sitewide - ie. you don't need a code to get the discount - then you can use your 75% discount coupon to get it really cheap.

What you're doing today is important
because you're exchanging a day of your life for it.

May 22, 2014 8:04 am  #1553

I was trying to download a game from Zylom yesterday and it necessitated using a coupon I'd been sent (I'd bought the German version before realising I could have bought the English version).  However, I tried and tried and it just wouldn't work.  I got an email from CS this morning, saying that they'd had computer problems with purchasing games yesterday so that I should try it again today and see if it worked.  Well, it did, and really quickly.  So I wrote back, thanking Berit for all her/his help.

I just got an email from Zylom with a 30% discount coupon code because I'd had problems buying a game yesterday.  And the code is ...

WEARESORRY 

I thought that was so cute! 

And this was all over a game I'd bought for 30 cents!    I don't have a subscription with them as their normal games are $30-$40 and, even though their FunPass is more than worth it, I already have a FunPass with GameHouse.  But they keep on sending me coupon codes for 75-90% discounts as they "value" me as a customer.  I only use them with their sales games and so I've gotten 2 games super dirt cheap - Citadel Arcanes CE for under $1 and The Clockwork Man for 30 cents. 

Unfortunately, this 30% discount code is only valid for today and there aren't any sales games I want.    But it sure was nice of them - and I loved the code. 

May 22, 2014 9:01 am  #1554

Wendy -- I can't imagine how things are for you right now.  I hope you're making a good bit of money so you can get your truck fixed and have a "real" place to live while you're on the road.

Lots of hand holding?  Sounds like HOPE LAKE would be the perfect game for me.   I'm close to finishing a game and I'm about 1/2 through SKYWARD CASTLE.  AK seems to be pretty much based on SKYWARD CASTLE.  I'm using the WT to help me with it since it has a SG that you get to through the MENU button too.  I wish I'd played SKYWARD CASTLE before AK came out.

May 22, 2014 9:34 am  #1555

lilyr wrote:

Lots of hand holding?  Sounds like HOPE LAKE would be the perfect game for me. 

Lily, I've just posted a demo review of Hope Lake.  I don't recommend it but everyone has different tastes, so I'd suggest you demo it and see what you think.  Should you get it, I'd love to know what you do with the evidence briefcase and how the story unfolds.  Please? 

I'll be posting a very quick demo review of Mystika 2 next.  I only made a few notes.

May 22, 2014 11:11 am  #1556

stusue...Thanks for finding that review that you did for Origins. I am going to get, but wait for the other kind of sale where you don't need a code to save even more money. 

i ♥ nirvana

May 22, 2014 11:14 am  #1557

stusue wrote:

oscar66 wrote:

I recd a reply to my reply and he sent me a 60% off code for a CE to be used by December. He did comment that he was aware a lot of people hadn't received them.

Oscar, I just got a reply from CS.  Unlike you, however, I didn't get a 60% off code for a CE but rather - just like last time - a free CS coupon for an SE.    He thought that I'd rather that and gave it to me in compensation for having had to wait!    I've just written back to ask if I can exchange the free SE coupon for the promotional one, when I can get 60% off a CE (the member price - I checked with another one I have).  I hope they don't think that's being too greedy.   

Well, I just heard back from CS again.  This is a snippet from the email:

Taylor, CS rep wrote:

Hey Sue,

Taylor in Seattle again. Thanks for getting back to me again and I totally understand if you were looking to get a Collector's Edition with that coupon code instead. While I don't have access to those exact codes on my system right now, I definitely want you to get a great deal, so I'll grab you a different code that I can access, that'll get you a Collector's Edition for an even better deal, at $2.99.

Thanks again Sue, for being so nice to work with, and I hope you find a fun one! If any questions come up while using that code, just let me know and I'll happily keep helping. Have a terrific day!

So, fortunately, he didn't think I was being too greedy.    Now I'm glad he didn't have access to one of those 60% discount coupons!    Now I've just got to decide which CE I want to get for $2.99...

May 22, 2014 11:16 am  #1558

sunshinej wrote:

stusue...Thanks for finding that review that you did for Origins. I am going to get, but wait for the other kind of sale where you don't need a code to save even more money.

NP, Sunshine  I've just posted it with my recommendation and rating in my review thread.

And I always wait and use any discount coupons I have when there's an automatic sitewide sale.  Always providing, of course, that they don't expire before one comes up. 

May 22, 2014 11:48 am  #1559

Jessica has finally released the info on what's being released this week. 

BF has changed the format.  Instead of photos with a written blurb, it's now being presented in video format.  (Next week they will revert to photos, and after that, back to videos).  I wish they would just list the games.  The video ran between 4 to 5 minutes and Jessicas waves her hands while she's talking.  She did mention there would be an "exciting sale" this weekend.

For every minute you are angry, you lose sixity seconds of happiness. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

May 22, 2014 11:53 am  #1560

Wow, Sue, you are so lucky to get a $2.99 code for a CE....I'm jealous...haha.  I just wrote to CS myself, to complain about AK.  Today the game reset me to level 1 when I was at level 45 before (around there, not sure whether 44, 45 or 46).  I lost all my food, keepsakes, bundles, and even my pegacorn.  I also complained to CS about not receiving my 60% off coupon.  Hopefully I will get a reply with some good news.  I also complained direct to Boomzap but I don't think they know what they're doing.   I learnt that lots of people had their game reset to level 1 for no reason, so I'm not the only one.

Thanks for mentioning your love of Vegemite.  Now I know what to get for you if I visit you. LOL

Thanks also for all your interesting news about the games.  I bought Mystika 2 with a pcc on Monday.  Haven't played it yet because right now the M3 I'm playing is Magic Heroes: Save Our Park.   Also playing Legends of Solitaire: Curse of the Dragons and loving it, as well as Gardens Inc 2 which is a lot of fun.  What I do is play a few levels of each game every day.  

I've heard a lot of talk about A Wizard's Curse but I never tried it.  Must go look it up.

The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?  The Lord is the strength of my life, of whom shall I be afraid?  Psalm 27:1

Board footera